North America, Here Are Your 23 Wii U Launch Titles

Posted by Damien McFerran

What you'll be able to pick up with your console come November 18th

Nintendo has officially confirmed the 23 games which will launch alongside its Wii U console in North America on the 18th November.

It has also revealed the 29 additional titles that are confirmed for release in the 'launch window', a period which runs from 18th November all the way through to March 31st, 2013.

Here are the games you'll find on store shelves from day one:

• Call of Duty: Black Ops II
  • Rabbids® Land
  • Your Shape: Fitness Evolved 2013
  • ZombiU
  • Scribblenauts Unlimited
  • Game Party Champions
  • Batman: Arkham City Armored Edition

The following titles are listed for release later in November (note that some are download games and not physical releases):

• Chasing Aurora
  • Cloudberry Kingdom
  • Madden NFL 13
  • Trine 2™: Director’s Cut
  • Mighty Switch Force HD
  • TANK! TANK! TANK!™
  • Nano Assault Neo
  • Little Inferno
  • Toki Tori 2

The remaining titles are vaguely listed as 'launch window' releases:

• Funky Barn
  • The Wonderful 101
  • Aliens: Colonial Marines
  • JEOPARDY!
  • Wheel of Fortune
  • Marvel Avengers: Battle for Earth
  • Rayman Legends

So, what titles will you be purchasing with your shiny new Wii U console?

Wheels2050

Wheels2050 said:

Far out - 23 launch titles seems pretty good. I'm sure there's a few in there that won't turn out that well, but it's still a decent bit of variety.

shinpichu

shinpichu said:

Pretty good. Upset about no Pikmin 3 at launch, though.

Wait a second, I though Rayman was supposed to be a launch game? WTF?

Bankai

Bankai said:

That is a fairly impressive lineup.

For anyone who hasn't played it yet, Warriors Orochi's the way to go. That game is all kinds of awesome.

redclow

redclow said:

You forgot to add Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate into Launch window releases.

KingDunsparce

KingDunsparce said:

Darn it, I thought they were going to be confirming Pikmin 3 for launch. Rayman Legends moved back to Lanch Window I guess? :/

rjejr

rjejr said:

I don't follow these things all that closely but I would think 23 games on launch day would have to be some kind of record, no? And it's got games for everyone too:
AC3, COD, ZombieU, Darksiders, Batman for the hardcore; Sing Party and Just Dance 4 for the casuals; Skylanders and NSMB for kids; plus a bunch of others across the board. The one lacking spot would be NFL, NHL and MLB games. Maybe they can offer an NFL game with replacement refs ;-)
I'm really impressed with all the 3rd parties willing to put their games out on launch day against NSMBU and Nintendo Land. I hope they get some sales.
I can't think of anything that's even been announced outside of the launch window besides Bayonneta 2. Nintendo has a wide open field for next E3, should be some awesomeness in the wings.

Cipher

Cipher said:

This is a damn good list. I can't wait to see Europe's launch schedule.

@redclow Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate wasn't on Nintendo's list, for some reason, hence why it isn't included above - but it's definitely coming in March.

youkoaoshi

youkoaoshi said:

Good line up. I sadfaced a bit at no Rayman but I think it comes out early December. Now I know what I can buy so I can start selling blood and my first born to afford them all.

Banker-Style

Banker-Style said:

Pretty good launches for both the US,and the UK.
At leasts we Brits are getting Rayman Legends on day 1.

Best Nintendo launch,innit.

V8_Ninja

V8_Ninja said:

Despite a good chunk of the release titles being ports, this is probably the best launch line-up I've ever seen. While missing any sort of strategy game, it definitely makes up in every action game category represented.

JJtheTexan

JJtheTexan said:

Getting Nintendo Land with my console, then planning on Tekken TT2, NSMBU, NBA 2K13, 007 and Madden 13. May grab one or two others down the road.

iphys

iphys said:

Decent list, but so far nothing is a must-have for me. Pikmin 3 or The Wonderful 101 interest me the most.

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

As far as Launch titles go, It's NSMB U and Nintendo Land for me. Getting Zombi U as a 'launch' title, especially on a Nintendo console just doesn't seem right to me. :p May check out Rabbids Land and most likely Epic Mickey 2....Yet i'm not too sure about Batman: Armored Edition. I'll be honest, i'm just interested in the WiiU GamePad screen gimmicks/innovations if anything. Because as for the PS3 release itself, i found the demo to be quite the snore.

GameCube

GameCube said:

The only Wii U games I want so far are NSMBU and The Wonderful 101, and the former only as a rental really, so I'll just wait a while before jumping on. Being an early adopter of Nintendo systems is always a mistake, I've learned my lesson (several times over).

Undead_terror

Undead_terror said:

I won't be getting a wii u for a long time (just because I don't have the money) but thats a very good launch and has a nice few games I would like to have!, but im getting black ops 2 for the ps3.

3rdSamugai

3rdSamugai said:

Damn people are going to be broke! Great launch line up imo. Aside from Nintendo Land via the Deluxe bundle I'm deciding between ZombiU or NSMB U. I was really hoping that we'll get Monster Hunter Ultimate at launch though (T _ T)

AddADashOfSalt

AddADashOfSalt said:

Looks good, LCU and Pikmin 3 aren't on launch day, which I'm not too upset about. I probably won't get a Wii U until the end of the year anyway.

CapnPancakes

CapnPancakes said:

Nice to know Batman will be launching day one XD. Rayman Legends comes out December 4th for those in NA btw.

MrWalkieTalkie

MrWalkieTalkie said:

Nintendo Land
New Super Mario Bros. U
Disney Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two
ZombiU
Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed
Tekken Tag Tournament 2 Wii U Edition
Scribblenauts Unlimited
Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge
Batman: Arkham City Armored Edition

Samholy

Samholy said:

solid launch line-up, aand the upcoming 6 month has also a great selection, especially pikmin 3 and wonderful 101.

but, i cant afford it yet :-(

i have a year or so to amass a budget for the PS4. no way in hell i will skip the ps4. sorry nintendo. im so sorry...it looks like a great console, really.
Sony's exclusives are so great. i mean...god of war? uncharted ? infamous? little big planet? ratchet and clank? i cant possibly sacrifice all of these for a plumber or a green elf guy.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

Will only be getting Mario out of those. Eventually. It is not worth buying a Wii U for on launch day. I'll be waiting several months before getting one I would imagine.

None of these interest me either.

gefflt

gefflt said:

I see Rayman Legends has been changed from a "day one release" to a "launch window release". Figures as details still seem scarce about how the game will work single-player wise.

Shworange

Shworange said:

I like the numbers of games and variety. There's 8 launch titles I definitely want.

Emaan

Emaan said:

I still wish Pikmin 3 was included in launch day, but I'll be happy with NSMBU I guess. :O

elbrody83

elbrody83 said:

I've played pikmen3 and I liked it definitely getting it whenever it comes out same goes for the wonderful 101 very nice game.

edcomics

edcomics said:

Seems like the dates keep changing on a number of these games. Since I'm not going for Mario or some of the other "obvious" choices, I'm actually going to have a very small Wii U game collection at launch.

erv

erv said:

It seems the options will be spread out a bit better - I think this lineup is on of the strongest launches money can buy.

SpaceApe

SpaceApe said:

Zombi U, Aliens, Black Ops 2, Batman, ME 3 and will dabble in some Mario and waiting on Zelda Wii U!

Nibelilt

Nibelilt said:

Can't wait for Giants, even though I'm getting the Wii version. I need a double fix of it. I hope it is also a launch title for Euraustralia- NEED HD SPROCKET... NAO! :P

biddenden_sue

biddenden_sue said:

Is there a confirmed list for the UK/Europe? I've pre-ordered my 32 gig WiiU with Nintendo Land plus Zombi U and NSMB U, but if that Sonic racing game comes out on the launch day, I'll be kicking myself because I can't afford it yet! Too much money on one day!!!

FluttershyGuy

FluttershyGuy said:

I'm going with pack-in Nintendo Land and NSMBU. Tempted by Tekken Tag Tournament 2, but I'm just not sure it'd be right. I got the first TTT and Street Fighter EX3 on PlayStation 2 launch day (then failed to win a drawing for the right to buy a PS2, and didn't play them for 4 months :p).

Man, this launch beats the Nintendo 64 launch, which I seem to remember having an especially paltry lineup (though it did consist of Pilotwings 64 and, of course, pack-in Super Mario 64... wait...I looked it up, and those were the ONLY TWO launch titles, jeez Louise...).

Oh, having 23 launch titles, maybe Nintendo's trying to make Wii U MJ-esque. :)

Ren

Ren said:

hmm, that doesn't look so exciting. So glad I decided to wait. a big list doesn't mean a good one. take the dance games, sports games, and ports out and theres not much left of interest. Mario maybe? ZombiU? not worth dropping 400 bucks yet. I'll wait to see what the online strategy really is or until I see a hint of zelda or Metroid.

Rect_Pola

Rect_Pola said:

@shinpichu Everything on the list is part of the fabled "launch window" which Nintendohas been stretching every launch. The Wii U's is now a whopping 6 months.

Overall I'm pleased

birdie1923

birdie1923 said:

Still looking for a definite European one...but going by this, I'll probably get Black Ops 2, ZombiU, Tekken Tag Tournament 2 and Warriors Orochi 3 (which is an amazing game, by the way) within the first month :)

DRLAdmin

DRL said:

Immensely disappointed that Rayman won't be coming home with me on launch day. NSMBU and Sonic Transformed it is. Possibly even Epic Mickey Two even though I barely spent any time with the first.

Pokefanmum82

Pokefanmum82 said:

i already have my Wii U deluxe bundle pre-ordered along with NSMB U and Batman.... the rest will have to wait until christmas. My son is very excited to play NSMB U

GameCube

GameCube said:

@Rect_Pola By next gen, the launch window will just entail the entire period from launch day until the follow-up console releases.

cyphid

cyphid said:

Still a very impressive launch line-up!

I think Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed will be great for Wii U. I pre-ordered a copy at Newegg with $10 of any pre-order, only paid $32 out the door!

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 is another great looking game. Not bad for a first fighting game on Wii U.

kobe1724

kobe1724 said:

All I saw on that list was New Super Mario Bros. U. That's all you need folks.

47drift

47drift said:

Darn. I was all set to buy Wonderful 101 and Rayman Legends. They've said in numerous interviews they'd be available at launch! Curse this "launch window" nonsense!

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

DAMN good in my opinion. I won't be buying all the games I want, but I will tell you which ones I am planning to be "playing" or at least interested in playing:

Call of Duty: Black Ops II
Disney Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two (didn't know this moved to Wii U, actually)
TEKKEN TAG TOURNAMENT 2 Wii U Edition
New Super Mario Bros. U
NINJA GAIDEN 3: Razor’s Edge
Nintendo Land
Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed (interested)
Darksiders II (interested)
Assassin’s Creed III (interested)
ZombiU (interested)
Batman: Arkham City Armored Edition
Trine 2™: Director’s Cut (interested)
Mighty Switch Force HD (I'd still probably just get this for 3DS)
Mass Effect 3 (interested)
Game & Wario (interested)
Pikmin 3 (interested)
Wii Fit U
Aliens: Colonial Marines (interested)

Ugh, I'm so broke... I still gotta GET the Wii U first :(

Vehemont

Vehemont said:

Getting NSMBU with my system and getting ZombiU shortly after. May get Ninja Gaiden 3, Tekken Tag Tournament 2, COD BO 2 during launch. Also interested in Rayman Legends, Pikmin 3, Game & Wario, and Aliens: Colonial Marines when they come out later.

Steveovig

Steveovig said:

That isn't a very good launch lineup at all. I see only two games that could be considered system movers (NSMB and ZombiU) and those are even a stretch. The rest is a bunch of old games hardcore gamers have already played, multiplat games, or cheesy casual games. This lineup and the launch of the Wii U shows just how disorganized and inept Nintendo is right now.

Hokori

Hokori said:

Getting Epic Mickey 2, NSMBU, Bayonetta 2, wonderful 101, pikmin 3, and MH3U

ultraraichu

ultraraichu said:

That's a sweet launch lineup. I wish I saved up more cash. I only saved up enough for 2-4 games and the deluxe WiiU (around $600) and that trying to take in account sales tax. Good thing by then christmas will be around the corner.

animalzer0

animalzer0 said:

Seems like a "fair" launch lineup, I'm only REALLY excited for New Super Mario Bros. U and Scribblenauts Unlimited!

Alienfish

Alienfish said:

Provided that each of these games is $60 I could spend $1200 on just the ones I want (exactly 20 games). This is where Nintendo dries up my wallet before I can spend any money on third parties, thereby making third parties leave due to lack of income. Innovative titles come first, then gritty, dark atmosphere mature games come second.

Burn

Burn said:

Wipeout 3?!

Oh. Wait, it's just a lame party game and not a futuristic racer =(

FiveDigitLP

FiveDigitLP said:

That's odd. I had Avengers: Battle for Earth, ME3, and Rayman Legends on my list as launch day. I wonder what changed? I don't remember what all of my sources were...but I didn't put it on there if it wasn't reliable.
Is Europe still getting Rayman Legends on launch day? If so, that seems unusual that we don't as well.

ShadJV

ShadJV said:

To be fair, I don't remember reading Rayman Legends was a launch title (other than NL posting it but I don't know the source, maybe it was just confirmed in the UK). I'll admit this is disappointing, my original hopes were to purchase Pikmin 3 and Rayman Legends day one. I already had accepted Pikmin 3 wouldn't be a launch title (though fingers are still crossed for a December release.

My final launch roster: New Super Mario Bros U and ZombiU. And, of course, the copy of Nintendo Land that comes with my shiny new Deluxe Wii U.

kyuubikid213

kyuubikid213 said:

I will now re-enact my reaction upon seeing this article.

[scrolling through NintendoLife]
Oh look, the Wii U NA Launch titles are here. This will definitely make my decision easier!
[opens page and scrolls down to first launch title]
WHAT? CALL OF DUTY BLACK OPS 2 IS A LAUNCH TITLE FOR THE WII U?!!??! REALLY?! I KNOW WHAT I'M GETTING NOVEMBER 18TH!!!

As you can see, I am quite excited that Black Ops 2 is a Wii U launch title and it will be the first game I get when the Wii U launches. Other than that, the lineup of games I'm immediately looking forward to is below
ZombiU
Mass Effect 3
Assassin's Creed III
New Super Mario Bros. U
Lego City Undercover

Firejonie

Firejonie said:

Sad to see Rayman Legends isn't a launch title, but at least it's still coming out this year ( I hope). Plus, we got Sonic Racing Transformed two days earlier than the other versions.

FiveDigitLP

FiveDigitLP said:

I'm greatly looking forward to AC3, but sadly I won't be purchasing it for the Wii U. I already have it preordered for the 360 and that's where most of my friends will be playing mp.
That said, I do plan on trying to buy future cross-platform games on the Wii U.

Varia01

Varia01 said:

Hopefully Transformers Prime will be as good as a game as it is a animated series. Another thing that I'm desperate to play is Metroid Blaster on Nintendo Land. About Transformers, most of the games weren't very good so I have worry over Transformers Prime, but I hope Activision sees what the problems are in their past games (Other than Fall of Cybertron and War for Cybertron) and do something different with Transformers Prime, hopefully even adding some gameplay from fall of Cybertron to it.

Odnetnin

Odnetnin said:

Do yourself a favor by grabbing the new Nintendo Power when it hits store shelves and checking out the Little Inferno download section cover story. It will convince you to purchase a Wii U (that is, if you don't have access to a PC that can run games).

baba_944

baba_944 said:

Going to get me a job next Summer. I will buy Wii U Basic with New Super Mario Bros. U and Pikmin 3 once I play Pikmin 1 & 2.

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

I'll be getting the Wii U Deluxe bundle that comes with Nintendo Land, along with NSMBU and Epic Mickey: The Power of Two. Tekken will come later.

I wouldn't be surprised if Game & Wario gets pushed into 2013 for a couple of reasons. 2013 will be WarioWare's 10th anniversary, so Game & Wario will sort of celebrate it. As the list shows, the Wii U has a huge launch window already, so Game & Wario would keep the console going for early next year, which would be a relatively calm time.

Flowerlark

Flowerlark said:

Glad I'm not getting a WiiU because none of these titles interest me. Besides, I've got plenty to play on my 3DS.

Bane

Bane said:

Im getting the Deluxe Wii U, with the pre-order of NSMBU, then Ill buy Tekken, Batman Arkham City, and Mario Kart Wii U when it comes out

aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan said:

I'm impressed. Seriously, isn't this a record for the number of games at the launch of a Nintendo console in the US? The variety is very nice. Hopefully Nintendo can keep a decent amount of these on shelves because I can see people deciding, in store, as they see the game lineup. I've been personally excited for the Wii U for a long time, but I'm starting to think it could be a big seller. Still nothing like the hype for Wii of course.

Kyloctopus

Kyloctopus said:

Not too shabby. I'm considering New Super Mario Bros. U, Epic Mickey 2, Zombi U or Rayman Origins. But I'm defenetaly buying Tekken Tag 2.

Ren

Ren said:

I agree about the 5%. it was worth it for the Wii, mostly in the form of zelda, metroid, and mario galaxy, but it sure is long to wait between each. I'm also a busy adult and ready for nintendo to treat gaming as something not just for 13 year olds. I was always with them and their approach but people my age grew up with games and theres no reason not to make games for those millions that want that kind of content and have the money in the first place.

Suddenly the other consoles started to make sense to me, because Mario has started to get.... boring. These launch titles are starting to show some awareness of it but still very lukewarm. They'll have to learn the hard way that pricy HD consoles have to appeal to some adults as well if they want them to sell. This doesn't otherwise have the 'casual' appeal of the old Wii so it'll fall hard if they don't embrace truly deeper modern gaming. Some good ports will help for a while, but enticing people from their PS360's will be an uphill battle. All those buttons, a tablet screen, and media center? Very cool, but not a 'party' system new gamers.

Grodus

Grodus said:

@rjejr (shaking in voice) Did you just you just just day NSMBU is for kids? 'Cus if you you said NSMBU is for kids, I'm gonna... Just kidding. :)

This is the worlds best launch line-up. Nothing else needs to be said. It's final judgement, guilty for too much awesomeness.

PokeTune

PokeTune said:

Is it troubling that the only games out of that entire list that interest me are NSMB U, ZombiU, Black Ops II and Sonic & All Stars Racing?

BulbasaurusRex

BulbasaurusRex said:

Hmm, a Jeapardy game. It doesn't take much thought to figure out how the GamePad is likely to be used in that game. It's about time there was one with a completely private wagering system.

janettocrossing

janettocrossing said:

The first games I'm getting are ZombiU, Assassin's Creed 3, and NSMBU , I'll get Wii Fit U around March...

bboy2970

bboy2970 said:

I'll be picking up:

New Super Mario Bros. U
Epic Mickey 2
Sonic Racing
Just Dance 4
Scribblenauts Unlimited

Plus I got the Deluxe so I'll also have Nintendo Land. That's 6 games to play on launch PLUS whatever is one the eShop on day 1. Good thing I took that week off of work. I'm gonna need it!

OptometristLime

OptometristLime said:

@kobe1724
"All I saw on that list was New Super Mario Bros. U. That's all you need folks."

Come hell and high water, the unwavering enthusiasm of Nintendo gamers will always bring a smile to my face. :)

NeoShinobi

NeoShinobi said:

Nintendo hasn't had a decent launch lineup since the Gamecube, so I had my expectations set pretty low for this.

But this actually seems like a pretty good lineup.

SDDMN

SDDMN said:

Tekken Tag Tournament 2, Ninja Gaiden 3 RE, and NSMBU are the three games that will start me on my most likely huge list of Wii U games I happily own.

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

That's a good day one lineup that can be considered great if you only game on Nintendo consoles. New Super Mario Bros. U and Epic Mickey 2 top my list. I'm still a little upset not to see RE 6 on there though, I'm getting it for PS3 but the majority of my experience with the series has been on Nintendo systems and would like that to continue. That touchscreen on the gamepad would make item management such a breeze like it is in Revelations...

BigBabaWaba

BigBabaWaba said:

No one's mentioned the awesome TANK TANK TANK!? This game was a blast in arcades, I'm so glad they're porting it to the WiiU...anyone who has never played it, I suggest you check it out!

Vehemont

Vehemont said:

@Steveovig Its funny you say that about the games but at least there is plenty of variety with 23 games. Heck the N64 launched in the US with only 2 games, granted one of them is Super Mario 64 but still.........

Henmii

Henmii said:

So Rayman legends isn't a Wii u release-title anymore in America (it still is over here in Europe though)! A pity for you Americans, since it's the most interesting Wii u title so far!

CaPPa

CaPPa said:

I already have ZombiU preordered, just because it's an exclusive 3rd party title and set in London. I'll pick up another game too but will wait for some reviews, most likely it'll be either Scribblenauts, FIFA 13 or Ninja Gaiden 3 though.

Going forward I'll be looking at getting Batman Arkham City (but will wait a while as I already have it on PS3), Black Ops 2, NSMBU, Lego City Undercover, Aliens: Colonial Marines, Rayman Legends, The Wonderful 101, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate and Bayonetta 2.

redclow

redclow said:

@Cipher Interesting... I might send Nintendo an e-mail or two about them forgetting to add the 2nd best series ever (right after The Legend of Zelda...)to their list!