Rayman Legends is Coming to Wii U, Supports NFC

Posted by James Newton

Update: Ubisoft responds

Update: Ubisoft has issued a statement about Rayman Legends, acknowledging its development but stressing it's for internal use only:

An internal video showing images of Rayman Origins’ sequel has leaked over the Internet. This video was intended as a purely internal demonstrative video, and in NO way represents the final game, the final console or their features. This video was destined for internal production teams who often create game prototypes with work in progress development kits. Ubisoft confirms the development of Rayman Legends handled by Michel Ancel and his team in Montpellier.

Original story below.

Gamekult has revealed Ubisoft is preparing a sequel to Rayman Origins — and it's coming to Wii U.

The site grabbed a video of Rayman Legends, a new four-player co-operative platformer that promises exclusive content for Wii U. The video shows multiplayer with the Wii U controller being used to move platforms and display gameplay.

Most interestingly, it uses the Wii U controller's Near-Field Communications (NFC) technology to put new characters and items into the game world. The video shows players placing a Rabbid figurine or heart onto the controller, which then warps a Rabbid or extra health into the game world.

[via gamekult.com]

sgotsch

sgotsch said:

Assasins Creed vs Rayman o.o

also 3 remotes and just one new controller in 4 player action.. :(

Luffymcduck

Luffymcduck said:

"good news for those with no friends."
That sounds so funny and sad at the same time.:)

Anyways, this was great news for me since Rayman Origins was the best 2D-platformer for years.

BenAV

BenAV said:

Cool.
The first one was pretty fun, nothing special though.
I'll probably end up getting this at some point (when it's cheaper, like I did with Origins).

19Robb92

19Robb92 said:

Thanks Ubisoft, but no thanks.. They seriously need to get anew character artist. Rayman almost look as horrible as the new Spyro from Skylanders in these games. :/

With the exception of the charcter models, the game looks absolutely gorgeous though! Even better than the first one. Nice to see that they're using a lot of WiiU features as well. But I'm not buying this.

Kirk

Kirk said:

Looks stunning!

Wouldn't it be nice if New Super Mario Bros WiiU had this amount of love put into it's visuals rather than apparantly just being a quickly slapped together HD version of a Wii game that was already a slightly quickly thrown together higher-rez version of a DS game?

Just a thought...

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

Seems to be a big buzz on twitter from the game journos about this. Brilliant. A v.good start for the "official" Wii U news and trailers.

TikiTong

TikiTong said:

This looks better han Origins .....which is saying something, cause that was a masterpiece.

cammy

cammy said:

Oh my. I haven't been bothered by the Wii U really. Next gen graphics. Aren't all consoles now "next gen"? Tablet. Interesting but I' have my 3DS thanks. NFC... oh like skylander stuff. Okay.

No wait... you can collect geeky statues like the character from Rayman or the dude from Assassin Cred that do stuff in game... I think it tripped a switch in my brain and now my geek collector instinct has gone boom! What a neat idea and the potential is hugely geeky!

Silvervisiona

Silvervisiona said:

Finally! A proper fully featured Wii U trailer for the world. I can see E3 is going to be the best yet!

WolfRamHeart

WolfRamHeart said:

Wow, this is a pretty big leak! I am so glad that we finally get to see what the Wii U is capable of. This looks very impressive. I'm glad that this isn't just a port of Rayman Origins but a brand new game. While the game may not be a Wii U exclusive, the features for the Wii U do seem really cool. It looks like Skylanders has had a major influence on the future video game market. Well, I guess that if we are going to be buying DLC we might as well get a cool figure to go along with it. :)

Kirk

Kirk said:

@James

Oh, I'm pretty sure the footage we saw of that NSMBWii HD footage at E3 is a pretty good indication of where Nintendo is aiming with this game.

Mario Wii U based on New Super Mario Bros. Mii

The "New" games are pretty good but they aren't even in the same league as the likes of SMB3, SMW and Yoshi's Island imo and they do feel a little bit like cookie cutter sequels rather than the next proper new truly classic Mario platform game sequels that we're all really after imo, so I'm not going to expect a true SMB4 quality game, whatever that means, when the Wii U version of NSMBWii launches.

I'd love to see the true next 2D/2.5D Mario platformer, essentially SMB4, but I really don't think NSMBWiiU is going to be it.

I predict more of the same but now in HD and not a lot more, which to me really isn't the same as a game that could be worthy of the SMB4 moniker for example.

Slightly off topic though, so, Rayman Legends does however looks pretty stunning!

It also looks like we'll be seeing developers take advantage of the NFC right away and this could actually be a bit of a feather in the cap USP for the WiiU, which might help it get some positive attention out the gate. It will likely end up a bit gimmicky I suspect but I'm sure it has the potential for some pretty cool features and gameplay additions/enhancements. It will be interesting to see what developers do with it...

RevolverLink

RevolverLink said:

I will always give NSMBW credit for what I thought was top-notch level design (well, as a single-player game), but certain aspects of that game just came across as lazy to me. Namely, "Blue Toad", "Yellow Toad" and looking only moderately better than the DS game at times.

Although neither was necessarily done in the exact same style you'd want for a Mario game, Rayman Origins and Donkey Kong Country both certainly showed that the 2D platformer on the Wii could be far more visually engaging than NSMBW ever was and still play great to boot.

Slapshot

Slapshot said:

So one person gets the Wii U tablet, while everyone else gets stuck with Wiimotes. I was really hoping that we'd see multi-tablet support.

Game looks phenomenal, and I'm stoked that Ubisoft is bringing us another beautiful Rayman!

LittleIrves

LittleIrves said:

If I cared about Assassin's Creed, I'd be freaking out about the tease there at the end.... but I don't care about Assassin's Creed.

Origins was pretty good, though I think it looked and sounded better than it played. I love that it even came out in the first place — a new 2D platformer that isn't purposefully retro-styled? In 2011? Keep 'em coming. And the fact that this sequel exists, even when the original didn't sell very well, is a great, great sign. (I guess it's a good way to make up some dough on all the assets already in place for Origins... a return to 16-bit style sequels with new levels and characters a la DKC! I'll take it.)

cammy

cammy said:

@LittleIrves Actually there is Assassin Creed footage for Wii U in the Nintendo TV episode this week on the 3DS. Looks pretty impressive.

Rawk_Hawk

Rawk_Hawk said:

Wow I'm impressed. I'm really loving the original Rayman Origins, but this sequel is gonna be great

MarkMcColtney

MarkMcColtney said:

0:47 further on, any idea anyone why music from 'How To Train Your Dragon' is in the backgroud? How is Dreamworks and Ubisoft affiliated?

thefabfour64

thefabfour64 said:

that's pretty cool. However, I still only see one U controller being used at a time...Hopefully Nintendo can get the Wii U to support at least two U controllers.

DeMoN-13ruce

DeMoN-13ruce said:

ubisoft is really nice to nintendo with wii u!:o i love rayman gonna buy origins 3ds and this for wii u:)

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

@19Robb92 Really? I think Rayman's current design is fine and nowhere near being as bad as Spyro's hideous new design.
Anyway, this game looks beautiful and the gameplay looks great too but I don't like the NFC idea, it could become another rip-off like Skylanders but getting to beat up Rabbids looks like fun.

RYBlast

RYBlast said:

@cammy You should just be glad we didn't just get a straight port and that the Wii U version is actually different, whether you like the features or not.

3DS_Supporter

3DS_Supporter said:

It's funny because I just bought Rayman Origins yesterday, but I haven't opened yet. I do hope there's a 3DS version, too.

Kirk

Kirk said:

@pastasauce

I did tell people in other forums not to get too excited about the potential of multi-Wii U Pad support.

At the very most I think Nintendo might allow 2 Wii U Pads to be used at once but even that I consider unlikely.

Nintendo has their plan already laid out as far as I'm concerned and it involves:

A. Playing single player Wii U games using one Wii U Pad or, if an option, a Wiimote/Nunchuck.
B. Playing local multi-player games with one person using a Wii U pad and everyone else using Wiimotes/Nunchucks etc.
C. Playing online multi-player where each individual uses their own Wii U pad, or if they prefer a Wiimote/Nunchuck assuming it's an option.

There rest is all just wishful thinking imo.

Luffymcduck

Luffymcduck said:

@RevolverLink
Both NSMB games were great when they were released, and still are but after seeing DKCR and Rayman Origins I really want to see a better art style in New Super Mario Bros WiiU. Let´s face it: it´s going to be exactly like the one we saw in E3 last year, New Super Mario Bros. with Mii´s slapped into it. Still good, but Nintendo can do better than that.

Again, waiting for E3 to see more.

shingi_70

shingi_70 said:

So looksl ike this game wont go bomba like origins did.

And I really hope they have rayman 2 at launch for traditions sake.

aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan said:

Hoping these 4 player games with the Wii U controller have hot seat play where the controller is passed to a different player each round/level. Seems obvious enough that everyone would do it, but it's amazing the things that get missed when trying to meet deadlines.

Loved watching the platform get pushed on the controller. REALLY makes me wish that a new take on Zelda Four Swords was the big group play launch game. Because Nintendo doesn't have to make its games for other platforms there should be much more interaction with that controller throughout the games.

Kirk

Kirk said:

@Luffymcduck

100% agree.

I mean New Super Mario Bros Wii U looks alright, assuming the footage we saw at E3 2011 is indicative of the actual game (and I think it must surely be), but that really isn't enough to get me excited at this point about a new Super Mario Bro platform game on the supposedly true "next-ten" Wii U system.

If this is just a stop-gap game then fine but I expect Nintendo to impress me whenever I see a new Mario game. They managed it every time they released one from SMB on the NES all the way up to Super Mario 64 on N64, and even games like SMG 1/2 and SM3DL were impressive in various ways, and I don't see why they can't keep up that tradition now on Wii U too.

I really don't think that's too much to ask in all fairness.

BattleBorn

BattleBorn said:

Shame that the new NSMB games will outsell this 200:1, Ancel has reinvented the 2D platformer in a way Miyamoto and co. can't be arsed anymore. But it's still awesome to see quality Wii U software with exclusive functionality.

aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan said:

@Kirk I actually think there's a moderately good chance you'll see support for two Wii U controllers at E3. Nintendo reps seemed to take it to heart when so many people brought it up. The idea of a "friend bringing their own controller over" comes to mind as something that was mentioned early on.

It WILL be a problem that you can't REQUIRE it for any game and it COULD be that it is technically just not worth it (the streaming gets choppy beyond Nintendo tolerance, for instance) but it would be good for Nintendo to let this out before E3 as has been happening with information about digital downloads being same cost, etc.

I think Nintendo is really trying to control expectations here instead of keeping EVERYTHING secret until E3. It's a great idea, IMO.

3dbrains

3dbrains said:

Extra black square on back of wii U controller. brand new. whst does it do?

new port on back of controller with a WIRE connecting it to presumably the console!?!!

rjejr

rjejr said:

Awesome video. And in regards to this amusing comment -
"The game also supports online multiplayer — good news for those with no friends."
It's also good news for anybody who has been waiting for Nintendo to get serious about online. We rarely play online but my 2 sons are getting older and I think this is the type of game I (well my wfie) would actually let them play online w/ their friends. We're not big FPS people.
Haven't finished the first 1 yet - got a little tough going right near the end - but really looking forward to this one.
Oh, and maybe it's just me, but the Upad player seemed like the only one who could move platforms, so maybe more of a burden than a blessing. I also think the WiiU should support 2 controllers but doubt it will happen. How many Wii games currently support 2 Balance Boards? Any? How hard could that be?

3dbrains

3dbrains said:

I REPEAT>>>

NEW STUFF! SEE ABOVE!

why they using wii remotes? the moment I get those out for multiplayer, everyone will leave.

James

James said:

@3dbrains Not "new stuff" — these are development Wii U controllers and do not reflect what the finished product will look like. Dev Wii U controllers are wired; the real things are wireless :)

Kirk

Kirk said:

@3dbrains

Some good observations there.

I wonder what those little changes are for eh?

Edit: Yeah, James is right about them just being dev controllers. Although it's still interesting to see the extra black box on the back of the controller in the promo trailer. It might be nothing but it could be representative of small changes to the design. Most likely James has probably got it right however.

3dbrains

3dbrains said:

He has also lost his stylus. lol

If they are dev controllers, why are they in a finished advert?
That black square must do something even if they are dev units, they have a purpose.
Also The wire looks removable and isnt in every shot. I think it is the new charge cable. And nothing to do with wired dev units. nintendo said it would charge from the usb so this is cool and ok.
I see your point but it is in a finished advert.

James

James said:

@3dbrains Because Ubisoft develops games on development controllers — it's a Ubisoft-created trailer, not a Nintendo one, so it's using what the company has on hand. And trust me — developers use their controllers wired. Not saying that won't be the finished cable, just saying this is a development controller and not finalised retail hardware.

3dbrains

3dbrains said:

Final observation:

I see this happening a lot -

first person "Dude I'm like dying here, pass me a weapon"
second person hands him a kid icarus First Blade toy figure..."here you go"
first person "cool I got a weapon blah blah his is cool!"
second person "hey dude you scratched my toy"
first person "dude your toy scratched my WiiU screen!"

moral to the story, keep a bookshelf full of screen savers ready at all times when using NFC as you have to put it on your lovely screen!

Guybrush20X6

Guybrush20X6 said:

Finally Rayman gets to beat the living [insert bodily waste of choice] out of Rabbids! Like Rayman 4 was meant to be!

sketchturner

sketchturner said:

I didn't think I would buy a WiiU, but this honestly might be a system-seller for me. Rayman Origins is one of my top 3 games of all time.

DeadAntelopesGo

DeadAntelopesGo said:

Very cool. I loved Rayman Origins so I will be picking this up. Oh and Ezio vs Rayman??? But for real, this gives me ideas on how the next smash bros might work, since the characters are already "figurines" that come to life.

WhiteTrashGuy

WhiteTrashGuy said:

Did anyone else notice they were using the music from BACK TO THE FUTURE? Oh and NINTENDO FTW! Please make BEYOND GOOD AND EVIL 2 for the Wii U - I want to use the tablet as a Jade's camera!

Kirk

Kirk said:

@DeadAntelopesGo

"But for real, this gives me ideas on how the next smash bros might work, since the characters are already "figurines" that come to life."

If Nintendo doesn't jump on that particular gimmick they are absolute FOOLS I tells ya!

drumsandperc92

drumsandperc92 said:

LOL at the ezio statue ahahaha thats rly funny. the game looks great! but the player using the wii u controller to move platforms seemed to be not doing much else other than that. then again there were another 4 players using wii motes actually playing the game sooo i guess its a cool way for a 5th person to get involved. the NFC is cool but to be blunt if I'm dropping 60 bucks on a game i don't want to have to spend extra money on little toy figures.
hopefully other games using the feature will sell something cheaper like cards or something. then they could sell the cards in packs, say of 5 cards for 5 bucks and you get 5 cards that do 5 different things. i bet you Ubi would sell each figurine they showed for at least 5 or 10 bucks. cards would be the way to go to get more people involved.
Remember, the whole figurine NFC stuff started with that Spyro game, and was geared towards children since they could play with the figures outside of the video game and then within the videogame as well. its a wonderful idea for kids but i don't see older gamers like myself being all that interested in dropping excess money on toys.

BudrSbastig

BudrSbastig said:

The game looks fantastic, half way through origins at mo and loving it, but the wii u gimmicks look terrible, alright if your 10, but novelty will soon ware off! yet another Nintendo money making scam buy a toy to unlock on disc content. Its nearly as bad as making you buy 2 copies of every pokemon game just to get em all!! If Nintendo want to attract the hard core gamers (they have said this) this is no where near enough.

Randomname19

Randomname19 said:

Words can't describe how epic is this game,but screw those toys.I'd rather get Ezio and the rabbids as DLC.

DRLAdmin

DRL said:

I am in LOVE with the resurgence of 2D platformers. I absolutely adore Rayman Origins and DKCR - true modern classics. I've also really enjoyed Kirby's RtDL, NSMBWii, and Sonic Generations - although I don't feel they've quite reached level of quality that RO & DKCR have achieved.

Anyway, I didn't expect to hear of a Rayman sequel so soon due to the underwhelming sales of Origins so this is truly a thrilling announcement! Now I can't wait for E3 and Wii U!

JakobG

JakobG said:

Oh man these Wii U-exclusive features are going to result in a terrible loss of friendships.

Gavin_Rozee

Gavin_Rozee said:

I really hope their is a black Wii U and controller at launch. I'm not buying white again. It doesn't matter how clean you are, those white rubber circle pads will be yellow and discoloured in a matter of weeks.

@James, do your "sources" know of any plans to release the Wii U in black at launch?

mamp

mamp said:

NFC looked amazing in this game though the people with the hearts were ridiculous, and this game furthers my belief that there will only be one controller support for Wii U.

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

Wow, that looked amazing! This is why I think the NFC would work so well with Super Smash Bros.

paburrows

paburrows said:

So looks like their going the Skylanders route with the ability to used toys in the game. Thats awesome!!!!

JayEm

JayEm said:

Oh sweet lord. It's cool that Ubisoft brings Rayman back, since there was a huge time gap between Rayman 3: Hoodlum Havoc and Rayman: Origins, I was actually afraid that Rayman would once again stay put for a while after Origins. I got really hyped up because of the trailer and I am really looking forward for more news of this title and Wii U-exclusives that might come up.
Ubisoft, great job.

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

What... did I just watch, and I am NOT a Rayman fan but damn was ALL OF THAT impressive.

Ren

Ren said:

holy moly! this is pretty mind-blowing. Then NFC thing is 'meh' but the game itself is totally amazing. Finally something showing WiiU game footage itself.
yeah, SURE, that's for internal purposes only. That's why there is fancy filmed footage of people playing and lot's of fancy graphic overlays. Internal developer video's are always that heavily produced. Nice save Ubi.

Firejonie

Firejonie said:

Now that Ubisoft said that this trailer does not represent the final game, I really hope all these features ( and maybe more) make it in to the final game. Kinda suprised by the social and skylander like figure functions. I like how they made the graphics a bit more shiny the the original. I really hope Ubisoft does not go like Activison and milk our money for the figures and say " Oh you want to beat the game 100%, then you have to buy all the figures!". I hope it is just power ups, new levels and new characters, ( none would be required to beat the game, just for support and DLC).

Sir_Deadly

Sir_Deadly said:

Looks Awesome, love the figurine idea. I kno they used to for Spyro but this looks awesome!!!!

thefabfour64

thefabfour64 said:

Ezio showing up in Rayman? Sign me up. That game looks very impressive and it's still not in it's final form. Legends is going to be a must buy for Wii U.

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

Now that's what you call one stunning graphical showcase. :D
Incredible, just incredible. lol

Joshers744

Joshers744 said:

Looks good. Can't wait to see some Smash Bros....as cool as having physical 'trophies' of the characters would be though, i could see that costing a lot of money...

SonyFACE

SonyFACE said:

@3dbrains I'm sure the wire is just for charging purposes, or else to make sure no one steals the controller. As for the rectangle, that could be a relocation of the sensor bar or maybe it means nothing.

NaturalGus

NaturalGus said:

looks like NFC integration is a good idea. plus four Wii U tablets used at once contrary to popular belief. graphic wise it seems very current gen but it is only a youtue video of a WIP so let's see how the finished product looks :-) i' cant wait till E3 so we can get our fix

DraculaX

DraculaX said:

No...no...the rabbids... they're back!

Btw, when is Rayman Origins going to be released for the 3DS?

Alienfish

Alienfish said:

@update
That is so a bunch of hooey! This was probably the video meant for E3 at Nintendo's conference. An internal video wouldn't have been so well produced and people working on the project don't need to be wowed by stuff they already know. Lame Ubisoft, lame.

mattv76

mattv76 said:

Rayman Origins was the best 2D platformer I have ever played. This looks even more incredible. A must have!

Odnetnin

Odnetnin said:

This sort of looks like the best game ever. And dang it, now I want a Wii U!

I really need to get the first one...

thanos316

thanos316 said:

this game looks great and fun.. i hope no heads are rolling for this leak. but maybe they leaked it on purpose to get peoples reaction on the game. hmmmm.. food for thought. well hope there is more to come, e3 is almost here and im sure gaming news will start ramping up.. and great looking game again..

hillbill26

hillbill26 said:

HECK YES! RAYMAN IS BACK! It's been too long. Still waiting for Origins to come out on 3DS so i can play it. And i'll get it for the Wii

Sir_Deadly

Sir_Deadly said:

GRRR, i still havent played the first one. Waiting on the 3DS version. I hope they're still planning on releasing it!!!

Henmii

Henmii said:

Awesome! I knew the game would get a sequel! And it looks even better then the original! They have given the game a shiny effect, wich looks really nice!

Of course this was "leaked" on purpose! Nothing internal: This looks like a official trailer! Guess what: The first trailer is Wii u specific! What if it is exclusive to Wii u? Nah probably not, but wouldn't that be awesome?!

This is the first Wii u title that gets me excited!!

sonic_brawler95

sonic_brawler95 said:

I absolutely LOVE Rayman Origins, so this is an instant buy! Not sure if I would be getting it on Wii U since I'm not sure I'll have one around launch, but the NFC feature looks neat!

Sir_Deadly

Sir_Deadly said:

I actually hope they release it for 3DS and keep the same kinda features with the NFC, but does the 3DS have that technology or no?

JimLad

JimLad said:

I agree with Kirk, the visuals of Rayman Origins put NSMBW to shame.
That said I prefer Mario's gameplay.