Nintendo Drops Wii to $149.99 and Launches Budget Games

Posted by James Newton

It's all coming true

After some heavy speculation, Nintendo has officially announced Wii is dropping to $149.99 starting on 15th May.

The pack-in title will change from Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resort to Mario Kart Wii with a Wii Wheel, though the bundle still includes a Wii Remote Plus.

Not only that, the Wii Select budget range we revealed yesterday is real: called "Nintendo Selects", the initial line-up of games at $19.99 is:

Expect to see these new games and deals on shelves from 15th May.

Nintendo Unveils New Wii Package at $149.99, Launches ‘Nintendo Selects’ $19.99 Wii Games

Having Fun with Family and Friends Just Became More Affordable than Ever With New Suggested Retail Pricing

REDMOND, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Nintendo is dropping the suggested retail price of its Wii™ system to $149.99 and including a Mario™ game with the Wii hardware. Starting May 15, the newly priced Wii system will come in either black or white with the Mario Kart™ Wii game and a matching colored Wii Wheel™ accessory, replacing the previously included Wii Sports™ and Wii Sports Resort™ games.

Also on May 15, Nintendo launches the new Nintendo® Selects collection of Wii games, a set of popular games that millions of people have already experienced, at a suggested retail price of $19.99. The four must-own games in this collection are The Legend of Zelda™: Twilight Princess, Animal Crossing™: City Folk, Mario™ Super Sluggers and Wii Sports, which is available for the first time as a separate software purchase. Parents and video game fans can now easily expand their library of fun, family-friendly Wii games.

“From the day it launched, Wii has let players of all ages and experience levels have fun with one another,” said Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime. “The new suggested retail pricing for both the hardware and select games will help create more of these magical moments for even greater numbers of people.”

With Mario Kart Wii now included with the Wii hardware, players will be able to enjoy fun go-kart racing with Mario and all his Mushroom Kingdom pals right out of the box. The Wii Remote™ Plus controller, Nunchuk™ controller and Wii Wheel included in the package will all match the hardware, meaning they will be either black or white. The new black Wii Wheel will also be available separately at a suggested retail price of $9.99.

Remember that Wii features parental controls that let adults manage the content their children can access. For more information about this and other features, visit http://wii.com.

sillygostly

sillygostly said:

@sykotek: Same here. barf

They should have embedded the "Wii Selects" branding into the Wii margin/letterhead itself instead of adding a rather ugly border and consequently detracting from the prettiness of the cover art.

HolyMackerel

HolyMackerel said:

Nice. Re-releases are always welcome. I'd totally get Animal Crossing at this price and, if it's released, Smooth Moves as well. A little puzzled about Wii Sports since everyone already has it. (And $20 is a little high for what you get.)

James

James said:

@HolyMackerel The new Wii bundle comes with Mario Kart instead of Sports, so it's being released separately so that these new Wii owners can buy it too :)

2-D

2-D said:

I wonder if the cover art will be reversible, like for the New Play Control! series...

RedYoshi999

RedYoshi999 said:

Animal Crossing, yes. The others I have. Except Super Sluggers but it didn't even get a PAL release. I hope we get this system in Australia. $99.95 is waaaaay too much for 4 year old games like Twilight Princess. I'm also hoping that the black Wii Wheel will be sold here too, I need one for my black remote.

6ch6ris6

6ch6ris6 said:

packaging really looks cool.
they should have introduced this long ago though. wii sale would have been better than i think.

HanuKwanzMasBif

HanuKwanzMasBif said:

Already have Twilight Princess and Wii Sports (I don't know who doesn't have the latter). I once played Super Sluggers, it was fun. Might get that. I think I'll wait and see if they release Mario Kart on "Wii Select", then I'll probably buy that.

Malkeor

Malkeor said:

Those boxes look pretty sweet.
I'm tempted to get Animal Crossing actually if I don't get the one on 3DS.

SuperPeach

SuperPeach said:

The packaging isn't bad. I don't like greatest hit releases all that much though since as far as collecting goes, they aren't worth diddlysquat. As far as playing great games though it's awesome since they are very in expensive. Best part is Gamestop doesn't discriminate between packaging in their price. :winky:

Xkhaoz

Xkhaoz said:

Still a lot of games for me to get for the Wii, so this'll help. The first rounds though, nothing I don't already have (cept' for sluggers, but ah well)

Unca_LzStaff

Unca_Lz said:

Well this is only the "initial line-up," which means that more games are likely to be added in the future :O

@Holy: I got my Wii used so I don't own Wii Sports ;)

pixelman

pixelman said:

Mario Kart should be in here. >.<

I don't know why but I'm tempted to buy Twilight Princess, even though I already own the GCN version and don't like it very much.

Splat

Splat said:

If it takes a "Greatest Hits" label for me to get a $50 game for $20 so be it.

Urbanhispanic

Urbanhispanic said:

It's a good initial line up. Hopefully, they will add Super Mario Galaxy, Super Smash Bros Brawl, Excitetruck and Sin & Punishment in the near future.

JonWahlgrenAdmin

JonWahlgren said:

Looks like I'll finally be finishing Twilight Princess. I wouldn't mind taking a swing at Super Sluggers too.

DarkLloyd

DarkLloyd said:

I already all of them except sluggers and animal crossing so i'll consider that but then again the 3DS version is coming out so im not so sure on that one :P

however i hope they add super paper mario later on that id like to get my hands on

bonesy91

bonesy91 said:

now I may just pick up sluggers... it was ridiculous that the lowest price I ever saw for it new was $35 new... but the box art.... bleh!

Ryno

Ryno said:

I will be on Twilight Princess like a fat kid on cake at that price.

cyrus_zuo

cyrus_zuo said:

Getting Sluggers.

I'm glad Nintendo is doing this and wish they hadn't waited so long to start. I hope more are to come...though I already own just about everything Nintendo has released themselves ;).

Still for others, it would be great for them to be able to get some really good games cheaper. And maybe reissue some that have disappeared like ExciteTruck and Brain Academy (the later of which I always thought should have been added as another pack-in...it would help sell systems if people thought it was 'educational' ;)

RaylaxStaff

Raylax said:

I like how the URL to this article suggests that the Wii now costs $14,999. BARGAINZ

KingMike

KingMike said:

I also think it is strange Mario Kart is not offered as a standalone "Nintendo Selects" purchase.

thaantman

thaantman said:

pretty decent, but come on nintendo, throw in smash bros, mario strikers, super paper mario, Fire emblem, mario party 8, wario ware, mario and sonic @ the winter Olympics (since the london Olympics will be out soon) wii sports resort should be $20 since Everyone owns wii sports and resport is significantly better, punch out, and I'm sure there's plenty more I've forgot to mention, but nintendo needs to go all out with this. Any nintendo wii games that was released before 2010 should be on this list. Will be getting supersluggers though loved that game and may get twilight princess

NintendoLee

NintendoLee said:

So the UK titles are confirmed:
Smooth moves
Animal Crossing
Mario Strikers charged footbal
Wii Sports

www.nintendo.co.uk

Wolfenstein83

Wolfenstein83 said:

Sweet deal, if you don't have these already.
I thought it was crazy that Mario Kart was still sixty bucks at Wal-Mart, years after I bought it, and the first Mario Galaxy too.
I was like, what the funk?

SunnySnivy

SunnySnivy said:

I might get Twilight Princess since I never bought the Wii version. I will be getting the Mario Super Sluggers. Heck, for only 20$? Why not? I hope to see more releases like this especially with the new console on the way. (I want a price drop on Mario Kart, without the Wii wheel!)

Mikau94

Mikau94 said:

Zelda looks hot! I am totally buying a new copy, who knows maybe I'll buy the Select choice and the original!

Punny

Punny said:

Wii Sports as a separate game? I thought I would never see that in North America!

Dodger

Dodger said:

I'll probably pick up Twilight Princess. I already have City Folk and selling Wii Sports for anything is a crime. I can get it for $12 at Gamestop and it doesn't have enough content to be worth anything but free, even though it is pretty fun.

Ren

Ren said:

Yeah, I hope this list expands a lot. Not interested in any of those, except maybe Zelda for a re-play. Too bad it's not in 3D.

TheBaconator

TheBaconator said:

Aw, I was hoping for Super Paper Mario. I want to play that game again, but I can't find it new for a low price.

JusticeColde

JusticeColde said:

I can finally get a brand new (not pre-owned) copy of Twilight Princess & Super Sluggers without having to go to Amazon to spend a full 50

FluttershyGuy

FluttershyGuy said:

Cool, I can finally get the Wii version of Twilight Princess. Couldn't afford a Wii for the longest time (a year and a half after it's release I got it) and didn't want to wait till I could get one, so I got the GameCube Twilight Princess. Then, after getting the Wii, wasn't about to pay full price for something I already have with slight graphical improvements. But, now I will. :) Does anyone know if there's a significant graphical difference between the Twilight Princess versions? About all I know about it is the "mirror" effect, where they're mirror images of each other.

SilentJ

SilentJ said:

It's about time Nintendo released some Greatest Hits games but they need to add some better games like the Super Mario Galaxies. I'm not a fan of any greatest hits packaging but I'd snatch those up in a second.

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

This is great and all, but...please tell me Wii Sports Resort is next on the list. I want that game under $30 so badly!

Kidtendo

Kidtendo said:

loving the new greatest hits casing, but who would ever by wii sports for $20 the only way it would be worthwhile is if they combine sport and sports resort into one disc

FJOJR

FJOJR said:

Would not get Wii Sports for $20. The others yes. I think some 3rd party games should be included to get added exposure.

Ayer99

Ayer99 said:

I haven't played Animal Crossing yet, so I will probably pick that up, along with TP. I have been dying to play that again forever.

mastersworddude

mastersworddude said:

Finally I'll pick up Twilight Princess now that it's 20$. I played and beat the GCN version that I borrowed from my cousin like two years back.

jer18

jer18 said:

Might get TP now, good price drop, totally worth it. As for the other games.. lets see another bump down to $9.99 :)

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

Might eventually get a new Wii, &/or TP. Then again, I still have a small budget going on...

rjejr

rjejr said:

Very glad for the Select line.

They won't put Resort in a box with Sports if they just announced dropping Resort to $40.

Would like to see Paper Mario, wasn't that nearly a launch title?

SMG should be $20, they could keep the 2nd $50.

I know they won't add third parties, but Elebits deserved a re-release, one of the most fun and different and best uses of the Wiimote. Too bad they never made a "Play" version of Luigi's Mansion.

Dropping Sports is weird, it was probably the #1 reason the Wii sold so well for years. And dropping Resort means Motion Plus is useless. Karts' a great game, but by removing the other 2 games, even with a $20 price drop from $169, it isn't a huge improvement over the current price/package deal.

Oh, and before anybody rushes out and buys theses, I'ld be surprised not to see 2 for 1 or half off promotions on these at Amazon, TRU, etc.

Colors

Colors said:

I'll definitely get Twilight Princess and maybe Super Sluggers. Are those the real boxes?

castor

castor said:

I need to buy Twilight Princess, preferably before Skyward Sword is released.

Chrono-Trigger

Chrono-Trigger said:

This is good stuff. I'll have to pickup Twilight Princess. Hopefully some other the other better Nintendo games follow suit.

Pod

Pod said:

These boxes are MUCH nicer than the "Player's Choice" line they ran for the GameCube.
Besides, the "Nintendo Selects" moniker suggests they don't have to only include million sellers, but also games that deserve the re-release due to critical acclaim.

I'm all for this, as it will help late adopters to find their way through the myriad of hack-job titles for Wii. Hopefully Nintendo will be good about Selecting 3rd party titles as well.

theJudeAbides

theJudeAbides said:

I like the idea in general (especially since Nintendo has not been price-dropping their games this generation which is detestible). So getting them for a nice $20 sounds very reasonable to me.

However, this first round of titles really has me scratching my head. I understand (and even endorse) Twilight Princess and (to a lesser degree) Animal Crossing. However, I didn't think Super Sluggers was that well recieved and can certainly think of many much more deserving games. The biggest head-scratcher, though, is Wii Sports. As others have said, probably 99.9% of the Wii's install base already have this game. In fact, for many, this is probably the only game they own. I just don't see the logic in releasing it at all, especially when there are so many other deserving games.

As others have said, this is just the first round, so here's hoping they drop some better games in the next round. Here's what I'm hoping to see:

• Super Mario Galaxy - I already have it, but it definately deserves it.
  • Metroid Prime Trilogy - Easily deserves its. Plus, I missed the first release and buying it used costs more than it did to buy it new way back when. If they were to make this available for $20? Steal.
  • Excitebots - An overlooked game because Nintendo did a horrible job advertising it. Nintendo needs to make up for past sins by giving this the "Nintendo Selects" treatment. Oh, and release it in EU and Japan already, for cripes sake.
  • Super Smash Bros. Brawl - For obvious reasons.

You want to sell titles, NIntendo? Then you gotta re-release the best ones you have. These are it.

Kiyojistar

Kiyojistar said:

I was really looking forward to seeing brawl on this list, but since it's not, i hope it will be released in the near future. i feel like many others feel this way.