Interchangeable Dashboard Themes Are Coming To Your Nintendo 3DS

Posted by Damien McFerran

Theme me up, Scotty

Nintendo has revealed that dashboard themes are coming to its 3DS range of consoles.

This information was showcased during today's Japanese Nintendo Direct, with The Legend of Zelda: Link Between Worlds and Super Mario Bros. themes shown off very briefly. These will be distributed via the eShop.

The ability to change themes will be added in a system update expected in October.

TruenoGT

TruenoGT said:

I'm expecting pay, but I think a reasonable cost would be like 3 themes for $1. Maybe an Animal Crossing set, Mario set, etc.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

Finally! I was hoping something like this would be available on Wii U at launch. I really wanted to be able to change the theme colours but it wasn't possible. Now I'll be able to do it on my 3DS XL, awesome!! :D

SpookyMeths

SpookyMeths said:

It concerns me that all this information about new 3DS models and system updates were revealed in a Japan-only Direct.

mullen

mullen said:

@KodyDawg As far as I understand, there are some free themes and you need to pay for more themes.
Edit: watched the Nintendo Direct again, as far as I can hear, Iwata said there are basic themes for free download, and there is a theme shop as well.

Pokefanmum82

Pokefanmum82 said:

Nintendo of America announced it too in a press release accordng to GoNintendo. It comes via an update so I don't know if that means it's free or not.

TeeJay

TeeJay said:

I am dead. You have killed me Nintendo. Too much awesome news at once. I am dead.

Sakura

Sakura said:

Another wow! Cheers Nintendo! Now just start releasing those damn special miis in Europe and I'll know you really are listening.

JumpmanJr

JumpmanJr said:

Ah, very good. I have been thinking that mine needed sprucing up for a while now.

Klunk23

Klunk23 said:

Amazing, at this rate, the 3ds is on its way to becoming the best handheld of all time.

astros75

astros75 said:

This is great news! I still want the folders to be able to display more than just 1 letter.

ejamer

ejamer said:

If we can make our own themes, this is pretty cool news. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Theober555

Theober555 said:

I'm not that bothered about these, I don't spend much time on the home page, I turn on the 3DS and get straight onto a game! These just seem pointless to me

MoonKnight7

MoonKnight7 said:

This gives the screens much more life. I always thought the screens looked a little blah. A welcome update, that's for sure.

Smooty

Smooty said:

AHH OH MY GOD
seriously nintendo is GOD of everything seriously WHAT the hell is happening i cant handle all these news
Sony and M$ confirmed as dead

Barbiegurl777

Barbiegurl777 said:

Will this be for NA & EU or just japan? Love to do either mario, hello kitty, or acnl themed!! :D

Happy Gaming! (^_^)

BertoFlyingFox

BertoFlyingFox said:

Finally, I've been asking this of them for years. Dont know how many times I've written it in the dang Club.Nintendo surveys.

Now to keep suggesting folders for WiiU and it's own set of themes. All your mascots should be running around Warawara plaza Nintendo!!! ALL OF THEM.

Smooty

Smooty said:

I'm just happy happy so freaking happy i have money to get al these new things life is good oh

blaze8937

blaze8937 said:

If they are some what around like the price range of like the ps3 themes ($.99 - $2.99) I would definitely buy a few.

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

Lets hope these are terribly expensive. Overpricing things that aren't retail releases seems to be common for Nintendo.

Ryu_Niiyama

Ryu_Niiyama said:

I'm pretty excited about this. On my dslite I have a zelda theme to match the fact that it is a zelda ds.

Ninhau

Ninhau said:

catching up with flash cart homebrew functionality, finally

hope theyre free

Lizuka

Lizuka said:

The ability to have Isabelle waving on the top screen is something I will embrace for all time.

Hy8ogen

Hy8ogen said:

Okay Nintendo seriously. The 3DS is getting this and the Wii U isn't? Are you even trying?!

PS: AWESOME! I'm getting the zelda theme.

JellySplat

JellySplat said:

Thats awesome! I'm defietly pumped to hear this! this is just what the 3ds needs; more custimization options.

Flowerlark

Flowerlark said:

OMGWANT!!! I've been dying for something like this on DSes since the days of the DSLite. So psyched!!

OmegaStar

OmegaStar said:

Reminds me of that dream I had where the HOME Menu ran on Super Mario 3D Land's engine, with all the icons as blocks in the air and you select them by jumping under them. It was like a hubworld of sorts. :P

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

Okay, this is really great! Not only does it open an insane range of individualization to 3DS owners, it's also a cool way to advertise games! Publishers could pack download codes for DB themes in their games and offer them as a free bonus for the download version!
Now to wait for the same on WiiU - the Animal Crossing Plaza had the right idea already.

pigwarts5ever

pigwarts5ever said:

It would be cool if you owned a game you would automatically get the theme from that game. So if you owned ALBW you would get the theme without paying for it but if you didn't own it you could buy it seperatly. Hope thats the case.

DekuScrub

DekuScrub said:

I love the fact that it shows a 2ds having a zelda dashboard. Definitely getting these since they're confirmed for the 2ds

coolvw93

coolvw93 said:

im glad they decided to do this, i was hoping something like this would happen,

Tigus

Tigus said:

TAKE MY MONEY ALL OF IT!! October is becoming my favorite month FANTASY LIFE & SMASH4!! Ugh the hype its too much!!

Iggly

Iggly said:

These sound very awesome, if they can make themes for the Wii U I'll be very happy. Also please make a Monster Hunter theme please. ;)

DarkKirby

DarkKirby said:

These look nice.

It'd also be nice to allow custom themes to be created by users of possible.

Gen0neD

Gen0neD said:

For people hoping that these are gonna be free: nope. Nintendo is in the business of making money. Basically, someone(s) spent time at Nintendo making these. Which means Nintendo spent money to have these made. If they don't charge for these, that's money lost on development cost and pay roll. And in the world of business, time is money and money is time. Expect .99-$1.50 price range. If we're lucky and Nintendo is feeling generous. Otherwise, nope.

darthllama

darthllama said:

To those wondering, these will not be free. They haven't announced the pricing yet, and probably won't until they are closer to release date. Knowing Nintendo, they'll likely be $2.99-3.99 each.

mamp

mamp said:

OMG I've been suggesting this day one. DAY ONE PEOPLE!!! My friend looked at me like I was crazy but I'm not crazy, Wal-Mart's crazy with all those insane prices.

ultraraichu

ultraraichu said:

Awesome. If it's free, even if it's only one, that would be super awesome. If I have to pay, then that's cool too. As long as I can get a change of scenery, I'm good.

DarkNinja9

DarkNinja9 said:

yes! about time i think this would be awesome except for paying for it >.< i get the feeling just one of these will be like $4-5 -.-

DarkNinja9

DarkNinja9 said:

even more better would be if we can later get them free by spotpass for certain events that go on

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

What does the Y button do? What do I mean? Look at the top screen on those theme menus. You see a box and a photo symbol activated by the Y button (replacing the left L+R camera one). Could this be a photo gallery, a background editor or a screenshot taker?

FJOJR

FJOJR said:

I'm sure all of these announcements are in wait of the 3DS version of SSB. Makes me think that Nintendo might have equally big news on the Wii U front in the run up to SSB U.

FilmerNgameR

FilmerNgameR said:

Finally! I've been waiting for an update like this but it disappoints me that we can't put in custom themes like different colors and photos from our 3DS camera library like the psp.......

Amadou

Amadou said:

Now if we can only customize our wii u home screen and the Miiverse Communities that show up on the TV screen...

Donjwolf

Donjwolf said:

It'd be better if I could use my own images instead. Sony's systems let me do that.

piojito_O

piojito_O said:

About freaking time!
-Hope this also applies to the WiiU menu as well.

There better be a Kid Ic theme! =k

@Greendued2002
Great as that would be,
I wouldn't count on it. Ninty has a tendency to overlook such details. :/