Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy Case Begins on 3DS eShop in Winter 2014

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Screens, details and a trailer released

Japanese 3DS owners have had a chance to enjoy Ace Attorney 123: Wright Selection for over a month, a remastered compilation of the first three games in the popular Capcom series. In exciting news the company has now confirmed Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy for a release in the West, arriving exclusively on the 3DS eShop in Winter 2014.

Playable at E3, this entry follows Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies as a download-only release outside of Japan. Nonetheless, it is at least being localised, with the lines below taken from the excitable entry on Capcom's press site.

Defend the innocent and save the day! Courtroom hero Phoenix Wright lays down the law this winter in the digital release of Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy. Experience the original trilogy like never before in clear, high-resolution re-drawn graphics and immersive 3D visuals optimized for the Nintendo 3DS system. Join rookie lawyer Phoenix Wright through the early years of his career in his quest to find the truth behind all of the classic cases!

Capcom has also confirmed that Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate will be playable at the LA extravaganza, but it's the confirmation of this Ace Attorney localisation that stands out. You can see a fresh trailer for the title below, gawk at visual comparisons of the new and old versions, and check out the screenshots released so far in the gallery below.

Are you excited about this one's arrival later in the year?

Wouwter

Wouwter said:

Yussss! Although I wish they would release a physical version of the Phoenix Wright trilogy. :)

MixMasterMudkip

MixMasterMudkip said:

I hate when something like this is announced. Like seriously, how do they expect me to wait until winter for something like this, but I agree with @sinalefa the price needs to be good since these are games we've already played and since it's only a retail release.

Kisame83

Kisame83 said:

I may skip this, as I have the iOS trilogy release. Glad it's coming out, though!

onery

onery said:

Well.... all I can say is... Mystic Maya! Welcome back!

Really wanna see more of her in future games though.

ChemyNoSurfea

ChemyNoSurfea said:

Yessss ive ony played a bit of and justice for all on the 3ds and i havent downloaded dual destinies because I wanted to play these first. This is great.

Porky

Porky said:

I got the original Ds carts of them and I prefer those graphics than this thank you. Will support by buying it though..

HandheldGuru97

HandheldGuru97 said:

Well even though it is eShop only...I'll get it. So when it comes out on cart in 6 months after, you're welcome :P

Shambo

Shambo said:

Phoenix Wright => :D YES PLEASE
eShop only => :( No thanks, I'll just keep my original games then.

TJGamer

TJGamer said:

Noooooooo, I really want this on physically. It is good is is coming digital, but physical copies makes it more special

True_Hero

True_Hero said:

I like compilation releases. They help me get immersed in a series without feeling like I've missed something. I'll look into this.

shonenjump86

shonenjump86 said:

Still have these games on the DS when they were first released. Gotta pass on this, still waiting on that Miles Edgeworth 2 game Capcom. :/

Angelic_Lapras_King

Angelic_Lapras_King said:

Well okay Capcom, BUT you better announce a 2nd collection with AA4 and BOTH installments of "Edgeworth's Sexy Adventures" and bring it over here! :P

Tops

Tops said:

Already have the DS iterations so I'm not going for the eShop only re-release :(

LawRulesALL

LawRulesALL said:

A friend of mine was recommending the first game to me. So this might as well be the best way to be introduced to the series. But e-shop only... OUCH! Also, good one @sinalefa.

Phle

Phle said:

I would get it as a boxed edition. No question. But I have the original 3 games and I don't see the point in buying this if there won't be a physical release. Sad to see this and the new games in the series as eShop-only releases...

Beta

Beta said:

Would've preferred physical, but digital is fine. Besides, they officially confirmed it to be $20, so 10-15 quids is likely, which is a steal for me.

thelastgogeta

thelastgogeta said:

Already imported the limited edition of this and it had both the Japanese and English versions... Maybe I would be interested if it was a physical release, but as a digital release, I'll pass and continue collecting all of the DS installments. >_>

I suppose a lot of people already played AA123 on the DS, but I sorta expected a physical release for this one still. Curious whether some of those folks who didn't want to buy AA5 because it was digital only have caved in, it was a full fledged sequel, so missing out isn't ideal.

ChuJelly

ChuJelly said:

Alright! I was planning on getting into the series either through the iPhone app version or... other means, but I might just have to wait for this. I don't really use my iPhone anyway and I just feel it would be better to have it on 3DS. Will look forward to this if I can actually wait that long ;)

Great_Gonzalez

Great_Gonzalez said:

I would've bought this if it was physical!

Still got all my DS carts and I don't wanna double dip if I don't actually have anything to hold!

Shepdawg1

Shepdawg1 said:

Hmm...this is a hard sell. I want to support Capcom and tell them that I love this series and want them to continue to localize it, but I've played all the cases on the original DS versions so much that there's no challenge. But still, I love the humor and characterization of these games, so I'll probably still end up getting it.

On a side note, I don't care that it's download-only. If it's the only way we'll continue to get these games in the West, so be it.

Excep7ional

Excep7ional said:

I have always wanted to get into these games, now is the perfect chance for me to do so. I guess I'll be using my 3ds for more than Smash and Persona Q after all.

Chubblings

Chubblings said:

YES! I'm so happy that this was announced. Even though I hate digital on Nintendo consoles, I'll still get this. The price should be not more than £20 to justify a purchase though.

Yai

Yai said:

Getting this for sure. I never got to play the first 3 (I started from Apollo Justice)

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

There is no reason to not just get it on iOS presuming the price is the same or less. (If you have the hardware already).

Now Megaman ZX / ZX Advent for 3DS would be different.

MAN1AC

MAN1AC said:

I'm pretty excited for this. I beat the first two games this year but will hold off on buying the 3rd until this comes to the eShop.

Ash_Anne

Ash_Anne said:

@Maelstrom Yeah, I think this would be a good intro into the series. This game is a collection of the first three. This collection is already on the iPhone and iPad so if you have either of those you can already start the series.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

And once again Capcom screw NA over again with a digital only reason. Guess if I want any new PW games I will just have to stick with the DS ones.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

I don't wanna double dip if I don't actually have anything to hold!

Go hold one of your other carts of another game. The experience is still the same. It containing Phoenix Wright or another game is irrelevant.

ejamer

ejamer said:

If there is a physical release, I'll grab it. Otherwise I'll stick to the DS releases instead.

FX29

FX29 said:

Looks like I'll finally get a chance to play these games, looking forward to it!

FragRed

FragRed said:

If the price is right, I will definitely consider buying it. Have yet to play any of the games in this series. But I would, as it appears many others who have so far commented, prefer a physical release.

allav866

allav866 said:

The games are $10 each on the Wii Shop Channel, but I doubt they'd charge as much as Dual Destinies... My guess is $19.99.

Ren

Ren said:

Yes, this is awesome news! I don't care if I can't "hold it", best series ever.
I'm not a historical archivist, and if it doesn't work when I'm 60, I might just get over it.

Jorzha

Jorzha said:

Already have all the ace attorney games on DS. I don't like all the updated sprites (I think Phoenix looks a bit weird), but the backrounds looks much better than the the ds versions. This is probably good for people who are playing ace attorney for the first time.

worldstraveller

worldstraveller said:

that's really great, specially being a great chance for me to finally play them and it's 3 phoenix wrights in 1 literally, digital only? maybe will be cheaper that way.
I hope it will give news about the localization and not ignoring Europe (since they did with Rune Factory 4, new Harvest Moon coming out and Disney Magical World).

KodyDawg

KodyDawg said:

Of course it's announced for NA as soon as I buy the HD Trilogy on my iPod. I might have to skip this one, depending on the price. Sorry, Nintendo...

Spanjard

Spanjard said:

I never played any of these games so this sounds like a good place to start.

How many entries are there anyway?

SilentHunter382

SilentHunter382 said:

@Spanjard 5 entries (I think). 4 on the ds and 1 on the 3ds.

Anyway since I only played the original and always wanted to play the others I will be getting day one. I am very happy it is arriving outside of Japan. Would have liked a physical release but its better to get a digital release then no release at all.

MagicEmperor

MagicEmperor said:

I have this trilogy for the iOS, but I really don't like the 'feel' of it. So I'll gladly buy this for the 3DS.

bizcuthammer

bizcuthammer said:

I've actually never played a game in this series, but have always wanted to. I'm definitely interested at the right price!

Chomposaur

Chomposaur said:

Ew DD only. Ill buy the DS versions if im interested in the series.

No account system = No sale

Iggly

Iggly said:

Hmm, I never did try out Justice for all, if this is cheaper than the wii versions combined I'd love to buy it since I don't actually own a Phoenix Wright game other than DD. Also Capcom, y u no release a Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate demo on eshop. ;_;

IceClimbers

IceClimbers said:

Now this I'm going to get. Don't care if it's digital only, I'm just happy we're getting it. After trying the demo for Dual Destinies, I am really interested in the series, but I haven't bought Dual Destinies yet because I wanted to play the previous entries first. Which entry is Dual Destinies anyway?

Yasume

Yasume said:

I'm baffled by how many people are excited for this for multiple reasons:

1. There are barely any noticeable improvements aside from the 3D, which most likely is going to be mediocre at best (looks at Dual Destinies)
2. You can play the exact same games for a better price if you just buy the NDS games and put them in your 3DS
3. No physial release, you're just basically downloading NDS roms (which were ported from the GBA games to begin with) to your 3DS.

It's almost despicable how Capcom is milking these 3 games. First NDS, then WIiWare, then iOS and now 3DS and they still look the same as 10 years ago.

BulbasaurusRex

BulbasaurusRex said:

Yay! Note to self: Add to Wishlist as soon as I can.

On another note, I can certainly see the reluctance to double-dip (I only have the first game and specifically held off looking for the others after hearing about this collection), and I can understand some arguments against buying digital (although I don't agree in the slightest), but why the heck would a digital-only release be the difference between double-dipping or not? If you're worried about losing your digital collection in the event your 3DS is broken, lost, or stolen, you'll still have the old versions. If you hate being unable to sell games you don't like, why would you be double-dipping in the first place if you didn't like the games? Besides, you could just sell the old DS versions. Are you guys just collectors or something looking for a display piece or a way to make a profit by selling it years later on e-Bay?

kyuubikid213

kyuubikid213 said:

I might get this just because I get the feeling it'll be cheaper than hunting down the DS originals.

Never owned a Phoenix Wright game, but the demos I played and the short periods spent on a friend's DS make me believe that it'll be worth it.

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

@Yasume Unless it's different in Europe, or Capcom charges a premium, no you can't get them cheaper as three separate cartridges. In fact, it'd probably cost you a lot more. Totaling up their costs on Amazon says that it would cost me at least $45 to get them seperately, and I doubt Capcom would charge more than $40, if they even go above $30.

CaviarMeths

CaviarMeths said:

I surprised at how many people actually WANT to lug around a bunch of game cartridges for a portable system.

ToxieDogg

ToxieDogg said:

Miles Edgeworth 2 please, I've already got physical carts of all of these, and Apollo Justice and the first Miles Edgeworth game as well.

Give us stuff we haven't already had a million times before, Capcom.

DragonbornRito

DragonbornRito said:

@Yasume, each PW game is $17.99-$19.99 pre-owned at Gamestop right now. All 3 of them. Cheapest copies I can find for each is $10 for PW (half.com), $9.75 for T&T (Amazon), and $15.99 for JFA (also Amazon). Prices don't include shipping.

This will probably be $19.99, but even at $29.99, it's fairly reasonable for 3 games that still sell for close to $20 on the aftermarket, without having to deal with that blurriness that comes with upscaling DS carts to the 3DS screen.

Henmii

Henmii said:

@Yasume,

I saw a comparison some time back, and there you could see that the sprites truly have improved! It looks better then it did on the gba!

Noboty

Noboty said:

Never played any of the games in the series, so I'll put it on my radar if the price is acceptable to me.

AshFoxX

AshFoxX said:

I really wanted to be excited for this. The first game was simply amazing, but the second one really ruined the experience for me with the 'psychic chain' thing. I never even finished the first case of the second game because of that convoluted mess of a system. Can't play the 3rd game until I somehow muster the 2nd one, and i really don't want to resort to gamefaq'ing my way to the end.

Keion

Keion said:

@ToxieDogg Honestly, I couldn't agree more. I've been dying to play the second Miles Edgeworth game, and I own all the AT games.
Also, ONLY on the eShop?...I'll pass. Get it together Capcom.