Guacamelee: Super Turbo Championship Edition is Wrestling Its Way to the Wii U eShop

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Good times

If you're an eager download gamer that owns a PS3 or PS Vita, there's a decent chance that you've played Guacamelee by Drinkbox Studios; our partners at Push Square gave the action / platformer / brawler an 8/10 score in their review, describing it as "a fiery adventure for fans of platformers with a bit of a kick". The good news is that Nintendo gamers will soon have a chance to enjoy the title, and then a little more besides.

Guacamelee: Super Turbo Championship Edition has been confirmed as "coming soon" to the Wii U eShop — along with PS4, Xbox One and Xbox 360. This edition, as the name suggests, will include all previously released DLC in addition to new levels and boss battles in the main campaign. We suspect this one will go down well with keen Wii U owners, as it mixes attractive visuals with humour, exploration, increasingly varied fighting moves and a bit of platforming, too.

You can check out the trailer below, via IGN — are you excited about this one?

[via uk.ign.com]

Discipledoctor

Discipledoctor said:

I got this game over the Steam Winter sale and it was dang phenomenal. I'll definitely double-dip if there's enough reason too...or heck, maybe I will just for the sake of having it on the Wii U with Miiverse!

CorporalPegasus

CorporalPegasus said:

This is a good game! You Wii U peeps should get it right away! Especiallly since i think this game will appeal to Nintendo gamers a lot. It just has a Nintendo-y feel to it.

moomoo

moomoo said:

I just beat this on my Vita the other day. Really good metroidvania game. I'm sure there are lots of Wii U owners that will love this game.

Shiryu

Shiryu said:

This was a good day, after the free COD Ghosts map DLC from Treyarch, we get one of the finest Metroidvanias ever made on Wii U! Will pick it up day 1!

MrV4ltor

MrV4ltor said:

Hoping this is a sign of bigger indie games coming to Wii U. Will definitely pick it up Day !

Toodles

Toodles said:

Ah! I've heard a lot of positive things about this game! I could definitely see myself giving it a go at some point.

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

Looking forward to it. Almost bought it last week for the Vita, but it looks like it was a good thing I decided to pass it up. If it's still $15, it'd be a steal.

seronja

seronja said:

wow really? i got this game for free with ps+, but i did plan to really buy this game to support the developers that made this crazy game, i guess i will buy it for the wii u then :D

Chubblings

Chubblings said:

As others have said, I recommend Wii U owners to get this. I got it on Steam (however, I wouldn't mind picking it up on Wii U) and loved it. Overall, great game.

Emblem

Emblem said:

This is a great game, i have the basic version on PS3 via PSN+ but i may pick up this new version on my Wii U. I expect it will be free via PSN+ before the end of the year if the current trend of offering up indies holds up, so no point buying it on my PS4.

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

I'd echo all those that have recommended this one. I've had a lot of fun with it, and considering it was a PS+ freebie I'll be in the camp of those buying the Wii U version, simply because it's nice to support these download devs when they make excellent games.

bezerker99

bezerker99 said:

Downloaded this onto my PS3 on Monday. Because of the snow, I didn't go to work and instead played this all day. Great game!!! I'd be willing to download it again onto my Wii U just to support DrinkBox.

Also....TEQUILA!!!!

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

I think it is very mediocre.

Toki Tori 2+ or La Mulana are miles better.

Unepic is better so is Dust: An Elysian Tail

Strider is also better (Same price so I think the comparison is fair).

Valdis Story: Abyssal City looks also much better but I haven't yet played it. (It is reviewed significantly higher).

rjejr

rjejr said:

Somehow I missed this, even though I have PS+, but always wanted to play it. Glad I waited to get the extras.

I hope Nintendo is planning a similar service to PS+ given all the eShop games coming to Wii U but a severe lack of retail, which may only be getting worse in the years ahead. I don't need avatars or dynamic wall paper but 1 of these indie games per month for a small fee would be nice. Though I guess since this is Nintendo we need to start with baby steps first, like having demos for games before we buy them. I do like that they've started having sales, but they still seem limited. I suppose they're regrouping after the holidays right now, but "Nintendo Selects" would be a nice thing to unveil at E3. :-)

PvtOttobot

PvtOttobot said:

So many people double dipping in the guacamole! Gross! Now what'll I dip my tortilla chips in?

Bliquid

Bliquid said:

Great game, full of references to other famous series like Zelda and Mario, too.
Who hasn't played it yet, don't think twice and hit the buy button.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

Getting this day 1 as well.

@rjejr

I remember Iwata saying something about giving better prices to customers who bought many games. So I hope they do something good with that, whenever it starts.

TwilightV

TwilightV said:

OMG YES! :O I've wanted to play this since I first saw it reviewed somewhere else. <3

Xilef

Xilef said:

Already completet it on Steam but since it was so much fun i'll probably buy it on the Wii U. I got it and several other games really cheap through the Humble Bundle anyway so it's not like it's hard to justify buying it again on full price.

LittleIrves

LittleIrves said:

This is good news. Takes the sting out of not getting the new Batman. Would gladly take high-caliber $15 downloads over AAA $60 games. The shorter, often more experimental titles are more my speed nowadays.

KamenRiderClive

KamenRiderClive said:

i was literally just about to give in and pick this up on my PS3. Can't fathom why it took them so long, but I'm glad to see it get a Nintendo release.

Retro_on_theGo

Retro_on_theGo said:

YEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSS!!!!!11123241TSVA1111QSBDIS
DAY ONE! DAY ONE! DAY EFFING ONE!!!

Is there a release window yet?

flyndiggory

flyndiggory said:

I bought it during the steam holiday sale but will buy it again so I can play it in bed on the gamepad. This is an awesome game.

Anguspuss

Anguspuss said:

this is a great game now its comming to wii u. if you havent played it Id highly recommend it

Action51

Action51 said:

I've heard great things about this game, and I've even seen some sites and games journalists put it in their "Game of the Year" and "Indie game of the Year" short lists for 2013.

If it's a Metroidvania style adventure, I'm doubly excited.

@LittleIrves - I agree, at least lately with the samey-samey and annual installment flavor of most big triple A third party games lately.

Nintendude789

Nintendude789 said:

This game has a ton of other game references, like "El Mega Hombre" (Mega Man), "La Mascara de Majora" (Majora's Mask), and a lot more.

ueI

ueI said:

Of course I won't be buying this! I just got it through the humble bundle last week.

WesCash

WesCash said:

@unrandomsam
Out of curiosity, what did you think was "mediocre" about it? I can't imagine anyone not liking the game, it's almost perfect. I can't think of anything to really complain about besides perhaps some difficulty spikes.

SonataAndante

SonataAndante said:

I nabbed this from the last Humble Bundle and greatly enjoyed it. I beat the game with the bad ending and have been meaning to get around to exploring everything, finding all the hidden chests and getting the proper good ending, but after seeing this, likely not. I'll wait around until this comes out so I'm not totally burned out and can enjoy it for the new content.

Seriously though, Guacamelee is fantastic. I love the art style and combat and humor and just everything. It's a wonderful game, I'll be willing to double dip on this one.

JaredJ

JaredJ said:

glad I held out getting this for ps3. I will for sure get this on Wii U.

Jazzer94

Jazzer94 said:

Nice another indie game i'm actually excited for on Wii U to few have caught my interest so far but this will be a must have.

Technosphile

Technosphile said:

Ignored this on PSN because there was no Nintendo option.

Now? I'll buy it on Wii U. Great decision here by Drinkbox.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@WesCash If the influences are Super Metroid and Rondo of Blood (Which is one of my favourite ever games) it emphasises the bits I liked least about Super Metroid and has nothing in common with Rondo of Blood. The combat is ok but it is not precise and there is not enough of it. The great thing about Rondo of Blood is the only thing that gets better is the player and a large amount of the enemies take more hits than you can. You can never button bash or fluke a boss. Probably the labelling metroidvania can mean almost anything these days (It is nothing like La Mulana which I do really like). Just something simple like if you go back all the enemies are back would have made it much better for me. I have only played a few hours of it.

For just the fighting part I think it works better in many other games I have. Like 3DS Shinobi for example or Shank 2 or Blood of the Werewolf (That is coming to the Wii U as well).

Dpishere

Dpishere said:

Seeing all these positive comments about the game has me wanting to buy it as well!

WesCash

WesCash said:

@unrandomsam
Fair enough. You're right that the word "metroidvania" is overused and doesn't always describe games well. Guacamelee is a lot more of a beat-em-up than Castlevania or Metroid. I can see how you might have been disappointed if you were expecting something more like La-Mulana or Rondo of Blood.

I absolutely love the combat though. I found it to be incredibly fluid and satisfying. Button-mashing won't get you too far in the later levels, as enemies aren't just the simple skeletons that you fight early on. You really need to end up mastering the special moves and combos. And the bosses require a great amount of skill to beat. To each his own, though.

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

Whoa! Awesome! I don't usually get jealous of other systems' platformers, but this was definitely an exception last year. Will definitely get it day one!

rjejr

rjejr said:

@sinalefa - Thanks, forgot all about that, even though I did comment on it at the time. I think I'm still 60 cents away from my free $5 as well. There are a lot of eShop games coming out on the Wii U in April so maybe that will be a good time to get a cumulative sale to go along with them. They already have the 3DS thing going on in March.

Kolzig

Kolzig said:

Awesome that this great game is coming to all possible platforms pretty much.
I already got it through Steam on PC, so won't be getting it on Wii U, but this is really good news.

Squid

Squid said:

Oh man this is fantastic news! I have wanted to play this since it came out, but I didn't have the right systems. I can't wait to play this finally, it looks soooo good.

SomeBitTripFan

SomeBitTripFan said:

I played a bit of it today and have to give it props. Trying to play the game on my keyboard takes some of the fun out of it, but over all this game is still magnificent.

WitchSugoi

WitchSugoi said:

Wow, with such an overwhelming positive reaction I'll just have to get it won't I?

@SCAR392: I think I just accidentally reported you when I was typing. :s Just letting you know that was a mistake, sorry!

SKTTR

SKTTR said:

Only heard good things like "indie title of the year".
Def going to try it out on Wii U.

readyletsgo

readyletsgo said:

Got it fre a few months back with ps+, but never got around to play on ps3 or vita, so, I will buy on WiiU. Wonder if it'll ever come to the 3ds?

datamonkey

datamonkey said:

One of my favourite games of 2013. I freakin loved every minute of this game, though I still have not beaten the final boss :(

There are so many Nintendo references in the game, I wondered if it would one day be ported to a Ninty console.

All Wii U owners should get this, you won't regret it!

617Sqn

617Sqn said:

Great game, but be warned its tough! will provide a huge gaming challenge.

Rafie

Rafie said:

Enjoy the game gusy/gals. This game is all types of awesome. Definitely one of the best indies I've played last year.

Sorry to the one that said Toki Tori 2 was miles better....heck no!! Not even close.

citizenerased

citizenerased said:

This is the best 2D Metroid game I've played since Zero Mission. Bought a PS3 for it, totally worth it. Seriously guys, pick this up: It's got Super Smash Bros' combat system with Metroid's gameplay mixed with Super Meat Boy type platform challenges and a whole boatload of its own charm. Will double dip for sure.

Shambo

Shambo said:

Am I glad I didn't get it on PS3! I really wanted to, but I absolutely dislike Dualshock controllers... This is fantastic news!

Genesaur

Genesaur said:

Oh, neat! I've been wanting to try Guacamelee out, but I never previously had an opportunity to do so. This will do nicely.

Luna-Harmony

Luna-Harmony said:

All i can say it get this game people it's amazing i owned it on ps3 and it's such a great fun game !
You do get R2 trigger finger ake though from using special power i got bad playstaion finger from this game but it was so worth it :)

soma

soma said:

Great! I wanted to play this game since I saw it, I'll download it once I buy a Wii U :p

Manaphy2007

Manaphy2007 said:

i was planning on getting it through steam and got interested all thanks to thejwittz buts since its coming to wii u im getting this version instead, now im hoping for spelunky with metroid mods and rouge legacy to come to wii u

Henmii

Henmii said:

Ah, so this game IS coming after all! Great news!! I really wanted to play this!!

derickw69

derickw69 said:

@daggdroppen
the game is not bad by any means...maybe it wasn't to your liking or you just didn't care for it, but with all of the positive comments from not only this site, but from all of the ones on the PSN site as well, the game did pretty decent if you ask me. the fact of the matter is that the Wii U needs any kind of good game right now and i would at least be trying to tell people to just try it out for themselves instead of just bashing it because of one thing or another that got under your skin about it.