"Dark And Edgy" Sonic The Hedgehog Film Reportedly In Development

Posted by Jowi Meli

He can really move

According to Hollywood insider website The Tracking Board, a “dark [and] edgy” movie adaptation of the Sonic the Hedgehog franchise is on its way courtesy of Columbia Pictures. The film, which is aimed squarely at older audiences, will use a combination of live-action and animation. This news comes less than two months after the other major Sonic announcement at the beginning of February, revealing a huge push for Sega’s mascot.

Sonic’s past history with film and animation would most charitably described as uneven; fans are mostly divided on the Blue Blur’s ventures into Saturday morning stardom, but his 1996 feature film has become widely accepted as a source of unintentional laughter. One might assume the new film in question would aim to please longtime fans of Sonic now in their adult lives, given the wordage used in the proposal, but the series’ past ventures into “edgier” territory have also met with mixed results.

With Original Film and SEGA financing the project, the search has begun for a writer to jump onboard. Among those shortlisted are Brad Bird (Wall-E, Toy Story 2, The Incredibles) and Phil Johnston (Wreck-It Ralph, Nebraska). It will be interesting to see how the project proceeds as time goes on, especially with a commitment to “darker” storytelling that seems to rock the boat among fans of any media.

What are your thoughts on this new development in Sonic’s long and storied history? Will you see the film if it arrives at a theater near you?

[via tracking-board.com]

NintendoNaut

NintendoNaut said:

Actually, if this is done right, it could be phenomenal. Or it could be wreck. A really big wreck.

SpookyMeths

SpookyMeths said:

I'm going with wreck. Good news for the 12 people who asked for a dark and edgy Sonic movie though.

Dinosaurs

Dinosaurs said:

"dark and edgy" Lol. Calling it right now: it's Sonic X Hunger Games. It has to be. That's what will make them so much money they will explode, right? We love Sonic, we love blood sport and dystopias, it's a sure thing. They can call it Sonic Blood Ring. Cha-ching!!

OdnetninAges

OdnetninAges said:

Of course I'll go see it... If it turns out to be real. I've got a feeling that this could still be considered a rumor for now.

AJWolfTill

AJWolfTill said:

Are you doing a weeks worth of April Fools content? Either Sega is desperately milking Sonic or this will be some elaborate metaphor about growing up and losing innocence. But please, Sonic edgy?

NintendoNaut

NintendoNaut said:

NintendoNaut said:
If they did something based on the Sonic Adventure games, like dealing with Space Colony ARK, it could be really cool.

Lunapplebloom

Lunapplebloom said:

Interesting to see where this goes. I for one would have liked a lighter approach, but if done right, this could be ok. Wait and see.

Mystemo

Mystemo said:

I had hoped to never hear "Dark and Edgy" mentioned in the same sentence as Sonic again. Sega where finaly starting to redeem Sonic with games like Sonic Generations and Lost Worlds and now they want to screw it up again. Hopefully they look back at what happened with Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic 06 and realize their mistake but I wouldn't count on it.

Sparx

Sparx said:

@NintendoNaut honestly, story wise those were my favorite ones, despite all the cornyness so just losing the corn and just making it a bit more "realistic" would probably be enough

Sadly instead everyone will be brooding antiheroes and shadow will be even worse

Guybrush20X6

Guybrush20X6 said:

Sonic and Serious have had a wonky relationship. Personally I find it works better when there's less humans. Sonic Adventure focused on the ancient Echidnas and you could've removed all the humans bar Robinik/Eggman without any plot impact. Sonic Adventure 2 had more plot important humans but all the important ones were linked to Eggman. Even the military used robots.

On to the bad games, Shadow the Hedghog had human decide the best defence against aliens was their weak fleshy bodies and had a grudge against Shadow based on the paranoia of their boss. I don't need to explain Sonic 06 so I'll just leave it at that.

Also the less allies Sonic has the better. Sonic and Tails' banter in Sonic Colors had more character than all the interactions with the throwaway characters.

Starzsixty9

Starzsixty9 said:

I'm waitiiiiiiiing :p

yeah, no... live action and sonic... I dont see this ending well at all

Knuckles

Knuckles said:

I must still be dreaming. SEGA couldn't possibly pull off a crazy stunt like this, right?

Memeboy3

Memeboy3 said:

''Why are You Taking A Character that is about going to Funny, Cartoony worlds of Fun and Bubbly Characters and Villains... AND MAKE IT SUPER SERIOUS AND INTENSE?!

• Clement, Sonic O6 Review....( I edited A little...)
Squid

Squid said:

LOL, Brad Bird will never work on this; if anything he is busy with Incredibles 2.

Though no matter who they get to work on this it won't end well, Sonic should never be live action. "Dark and edgy" is even worse.

DiscoGentleman

DiscoGentleman said:

Anything being described as "dark and edgy" has crap written all over it. "We wanna go film noir with it, but no one will like it, so we're keeping it bubble gum safe and making all the characters brooding" this is how crappy superhero movies are being made the past 10ish years.

WesCash

WesCash said:

Let the poor hedgehog die already.
This is animal abuse, I think PETA should step in.

MrWalkieTalkie

MrWalkieTalkie said:

"Dark & Edgy" and "Sonic the Hedgehog" are 2 things that should never mix.

I still blame the Sonic Adventure games, more specifically, Shadow for driving the series down the gutter. Because now so many people seem to want to get rid of the colorful happy world of Sonic that it usually is and instead want something lame like:
Untitled

I'm happy with where the series is now. Sonic Unleashed, Colors, Generations, and Lost World all didn't take themselves too seriously, and that's what makes them so great.

MAB

MAB said:

But the Mario Bros movie won all those academy awards for being dark and gritty ;)

Untitled

Wasn't this guy supposed to be Yoshi or something?

Royalblues

Royalblues said:

Jeez, why? These guys should understand that Sonic at his best caters to younger audiences. If you make Sonic a serious character, and put him in serious predicaments, you are destined to fail. This could be one of the final nails in his coffins, if his fanbase wasn't so rabid.

What they should do is make it a kid movie, but pepper some adult humor in there if they have too.

Dr_Corndog

Dr_Corndog said:

Sonic is most fun when it's just trying to be fun, and not trying to be something it's not.

Caryslan

Caryslan said:

Why in the world does a movie based on a video game series about a blue hedgehog who runs at supersonic speed, hangs out with a two-tailed fox, and fights an overweight egg shaped man who builds robots have to be Dark and Edgy?

I'm not against a Sonic movie, but why can't the tone be closer to Sonic Colors?

Besides, why has Sega spend the last few years trying to make the recent Sonic games more light-hearted and less serious if they are simply going to back to the darker and edger themes?

Sonic is still a pretty popular character. We don't need to shove a gun in his hands and have him saying curse words to sell tickets. Let the movie stand on its own, and be a light-hearted film like Colors or the early Sonic games.

I don't mind Sonic having attitude since he was supposed to have that as part of his personality since the first game. But there is a difference between a character having an attitude, and something beind Dark and Edgy.

You can still have a serious storyline even if there is humor involved. Pixar and Disney movies manage to pull it off all the time! You could still have the stakes be pretty high while Sonic saves the world from Dr. Eggman.

Sonic Generations was about Sonic's world being erased because of changes in time, but it still had its humor. I hated Shadow the Hedgehog because it was like a person's fanfiction gone too far. When one of your endings has Eggman get killed off, then you know they went too far.

I don't want to see the Sonic series ever cross that line again.

SonataAndante

SonataAndante said:

“dark [and] edgy” "will use a combination of live-action and animation"
Gimme a second, I need to be sick somewhere. I swear if this is real then Sega has no idea what it's doing with Sonic. They've been doing so well recently with the tone of the series. Bringing it back to a very cartoony and silly tone with Unleashed was exactly what the series needed. Regardless of what you think of Unleashed, the game did return to a considerably less realistic and serious world, and I prefer it that way. I was so certain Sega had learned their lesson after '06. People do not like "dark and serious" Sonic the Hedgehog. Do not make it. I'm very skeptical this is true, however.

FilmerNgameR

FilmerNgameR said:

HECK YEAH!! I always thought the Sonic franchise was always suppose to be a dark franchise anyway just look at the comics. Shadow the Hedgehog 2 anyone?
Untitled

The_Fox

The_Fox said:

Oh dear. Any Sonic movie would wind up being abysmal, but this.....this might be the worst idea I've ever heard for a movie.

LegendaryQ

LegendaryQ said:

Sonic the Hedgehog darker and edgier than ever. Because you thought we finally figured this franchise out with Generations and Colors, and we couldn't have you think that.

Wonder_Ideal

Wonder_Ideal said:

I'm going to keep my tin foil hat of skepticism firmly on my head until more information gets out.

Melkac

Melkac said:

@Nibelilt Nooo, NOT TVTROPES! checks a bazillion other articles

Eh, I don't see this doing very well. Sonic ain't no Transformers.
And the gimmick of movies like Alvin & the Chipmunks has worn off...
It would be better if they did a normal CGI Sonic movie for all ages. A CGI Mario movie is ok, too.

Mystemo

Mystemo said:

@PrincessEevee9 Well, maybe it's not AS bad as 06 but it's still pretty darn awful. Plus it stars arguably the worst character in the Sonic series, a series filled with useless characters (yes, I hate Shadow more than Big the Cat). Personaly I dislike all the 3D Sonic games up until Colors (which still was no masterpiece but at least a big step in the righ direction). But at least this is just a movie so maybe (hopefully!) they will keep going with the lighthearted goofy style in the games instead of trying to force their blue cartoon hedgehog into incredibly dumb "mature" melodramatic sci-fi fantasy stories

PrincessEevee9

PrincessEevee9 said:

@Mystemo I'm sorry but your opinion stopped being valid the minute you said Shadow is a worse character then Big. And then the more you spoke the more it went downhill.

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

I checked my calendar because I thought maybe April Fools Day had sneaked up on me, but it's still too early. Even so...this sounds like an awful idea...

DarkKirby

DarkKirby said:

Why.

I also would like to know what their definition of "edgy" is. Sonic as a series hasn't had a even remotely serious plot since Adventure 2 with the government killing everyone in a space station to "silence" them.

Do they consider Shadow the Hedgehog (the game) and Sonic 2006 "edgy"?

xj0462

xj0462 said:

they made a dark and edgy mario movie once. it sucked.
didnt they make a dark and edgy sonic spin off with guns and stuff in 2004 for gamecube xbox and ps2?

Mystemo

Mystemo said:

@FilmerNgameR I would prefer a game with neither of them. They 're both terrible but at least a game about Big probably wouldn't take itself so damn seriously. So I guess the answer is yes, I would rather have a Big the Cat game. I still wouldn't play it though.

MorriganIsHot

MorriganIsHot said:

Sonic has always fit the dark and serious theme since SATAM & Sonic Adventure's it's too bad his games isn't like that anymore.

Senario

Senario said:

I bet Sonic is going to be a rebel without a cause. Fighting against the system that uses animals bred specifically for use in Robotnik's revolutionary near infinite power generator. Meeting up with disgruntled arms dealer Tails, Hitman Knuckles, Escort Rouge, and Amy Rose who is Sonic's high maintenance girlfriend. Add that to the secret agents after his head, Metal sonic and Shadow who will use any means necessary to stop sonic from stealing each of the chaos emeralds to create a singularity to suck in all of Robotnik's labs and the corrupt human kind for using his technology.

True story.

LightSuitGuy

LightSuitGuy said:

So we'll have the light-hearted Sonic Boom series, going parallel with a "dark and edgy" film, specifically aimed at adults?

I'm curious to see how they'll pull this off...

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

I actually thought Shadow the Hedgehog wasn't that bad, if they removed the guns and tweaked the pacing to fit it'd probably be a fine game.

Now, as for the movie, "dark and edgy" and Sonic should never be said in the same breath, much less with live-action in mind. I guess they could get away with something like Men in Black thats aware of how ridiculous everything is, maybe even to the point of irony. Thats not what we'd be getting of course.

SphericalCrusher

SphericalCrusher said:

I am hoping it's not like Sonic X, where the kid will be live action and Sonic will be CGI. Or anything similar to Scooby Doo or the Smurfs when mixing live action and CGI. Nonetheless, I'm excited to see what is going to come out of this! I am one of those Sonic fans who got a Genesis at age 4 — I'm currently 27 with two kids and yeah, Sonic has been a big part of my life since.

kamifox1

kamifox1 said:

Ok, what the hell is with all the hate towards it being "dark and edgy" about here? Have none of you watched SATAM or read any of the two main comic series? Or are you all the idiotic 'fans' who hate all those things purely because they have a story, aren't games and aren't by SEGA? All of those things are MASSIVELY popular among all the REAL Sonic fans so stop all the "If it's like them it'll be bad and fail horribly" rubbish right now, the Archie comics are STILL going strong and SATAM's popular enough to be getting a fan made 3rd series. Just because you don't like them doesn't mean they're bad and so is anything like them, try getting your facts straight and thinking past your own opinions before typing next time.

DiscoGentleman

DiscoGentleman said:

@kamifox1 Thinking past your own opinions? This is the comments section of a newsblog on the internet. You're getting opinions.

Also, say as many words as you want, you're gonna have to eat them all if this train wreck of a movie ever sees light.

kamifox1

kamifox1 said:

@DiscoGentleman How do you know it's a train wreck? All you've seen is a vague description of several things that can easily change before it's finished.
The only bad point mentioned here is "live action" but even that could be good if done right.
The "dark and edgy" part has been done on several occasions within the franchise before and almost every time (note: I said ALMOST) it's been massively popular.

Kolzig

Kolzig said:

Can you go more wrong than to think anything about Sonic is dark and edgy?

Keep Sonic without a voice, lose all the Shadow the Hedgehog stuff and most of the side characters and keep it simple.

That's the way to make a good Sonic movie and also a game.

Music's should be from Masato Nakamura so it would feel good again like Sonic 2's musics were the best that Sonic has ever had.

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

Live action + Sonic...? Did I read that right? So they're giving Sonic the Ted Treatment (minus the comedy)? I never say never, but I'm assuming that means it's going to utilize the Sonic Adventure/Sonic X plot of sorts. I wouldn't hold my breath on it, but it sounds like a recipe for sux to me...

Captain_Toad

Captain_Toad said:

@kamifox1 It COULD turn out like satam but 90% it could end up like another shadow the hedgehog (unnecessary cursing and guns and devoid of color with a so bad it's not even funny story), sonic 06 (the fun that has been sucked out of the characters and story with plotholes abound and THAT human character you know what im talking about) or....worse. That's the thing were worried about. Sometimes going the popular route isn't always a good idea but.. let's see what happens.

TheSonicdude97

TheSonicdude97 said:

I like the sound of this for the most part! It's also being made by Columbia Pictures, who are releasing "The Amazing Spider-Man 2" so that gives me higher hopes, and I really hope Brad Bird is the writer for this. All in all, BRING UP THE HYPE!! SO EXCITED~ :D

TheSonicdude97

TheSonicdude97 said:

@kamifox1 I completely agree with you! It irks me to see people be so quick to judge things, especially good ol' Sonic. I think many others just hear this and join the hate crowd without even knowing squash about the series. I remember how people judged games like LOZ: The Wind Waker for it's different turn and style, and now look at it, it's got a whole HD port! The people at SEGA and Sonic Team are trying their very hardest to make games to please many, but how do you think they'd feel going online to see all the backlash and negativity lots of you throw at 'em! >:( I myself always have hopes for the developers and look towards the brighter points. I can't wait to see the release of this movie if it's totally real~

kamifox1

kamifox1 said:

@TheSonicdude97 Yep, exactly! Literally all we know from this article is: it's Sonic, it's dark and edgy and it combines live action with animation. All three of these points could easily go either way yet everyone instantly goes "It sucks!" Most modern live action films use CG, especially where inhuman characters/monsters and special effects are concerned so explain to me how doing that with a Sonic film, in this day and age, with the technology and software we now have available to us is such an awful thing. Case in point: every recent live action Marvel, DC and Transformers film.

SilverHedgeFan

SilverHedgeFan said:

@MAB I saw that movie once. God, it was terrible. The entire time I was like "Please kill me now,". I could have turned it off though.....,

SilverHedgeFan

SilverHedgeFan said:

Ugh, this proves SEGA can't handle this franchise anymore. Just give it to Nintendo now permanently. Maybe they could handle it better. I still will see it. It'll end up being good or just terrible. Probably terrible.