Level-5 Wants to Know Whether You Want Yo-kai Watch in the West

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Looking for some Likes

Not so long ago we reported that Level-5 had filed a trademark in the U.S. for Yo-kai Watch, prompting speculation that the 3DS title is on its way to the West. The company seems to be gearing up to make that a reality, as it's now posted a message on its Facebook page to gauge interest:

Between the strong sales of the game and the popularity of the new anime, Yo-kai Watch is a verified success in Japan!

Would Yo-kai Watch be something you’d be interested in watching or playing in English?

Level-5 isn't wrong about its success in Japan. The RPG — which looks utterly charming and has ideas similar to those seen in franchises such as Pokémon and Dragon Quest — has performed well in the Japanese charts since its July 2013 launch. Most tellingly, the beginning of the Anime series at the start of this year has helped the title climb back up to the software top 20 in the region, coming 4th in last week's Media Create figures and surpassing 400,000 physical retail sales to date. With the anime, a large cast of characters and Yo-kai creatures and a well-received 3DS game, there's little surprise that Level-5 is contemplating bringing the fresh franchise to territories around the world.

Would you like Yo-kai Watch to come to the West? Perhaps the Japanese trailer below will help you decide.

Thanks to Shane for the tip.

[via facebook.com]

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

Most definitly, and i dont even know the game :P But as long as it bears the Level5 logo, im sold. It basicly is, what square used to be, at least for me.

King47

King47 said:

Yes, I've been eyeing this for a while, I hope they bring it west.
Do we have to go to the Facebook page to vote? I deactivated my Facebook account and don't want to reactivate it.

MuchoMochi

MuchoMochi said:

Hell yeah!!! The 3DS is becoming an RPG machine! and Level 5 are great, one of the best Japanese companies in gaming right now. Especially since Capcom and Square Enix are so westernized, and keep pissing off their fans.

Ronoh

Ronoh said:

Definitely. And let Level 5 know on Twitter that you want them to localize this game.

FadedSun

FadedSun said:

Hey, guys! I was the one that gave the tip for this article. If you want this game, definitely comment on their Twitter of Facebook accounts! I really want to see a localization of this game someday.

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

@PrincessEevee9 DMW being Dragon Warriors (Quest) Monsters ? Arent the recent remakes and sequels also made by Level5 and square only acted as the publisher since DQ8 ?
But i might switch up on this one.

Blast

Blast said:

The battle system looks very similar to Pokémon's Rotation Battles and Triple Battles.... LOL this game looks cool.

Barbiegurl777

Barbiegurl777 said:

It look's interesting but I don't understand it exactly from the video it look's like ghost buster's mixed with animal crossing with bug & fish hunting, & some sort of time travel with the watch?? Cute but very confusing...

Still want to see Kuma Tomo - 3DS make it to the west...

Happy Gaming! (^_^)

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

Yes, please! Youkai Watch is a very interesting title, and many of us hoped for it to come to the west for quite some time (though it simmered down some time ago as some lost hope).

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

If they localize this, I hope the wallets stay where the mouths are now. And that such wallets are loud enough to make it worthwhile for Level 5.

Just don't make me go to Facebook, please.

Spuratis

Spuratis said:

Never heard of it, actually looks pretty fun. Here's a tip Level 5: Bring all your games west. Now. Please and thank you. :P

TopLaytonsHat

TopLaytonsHat said:

Yes! This looks really cool! Almost reminds me of a mix between Pokémon and Attack of the Friday Monsters in a way

3dcaleb

3dcaleb said:

this game looks awesome. it looks like all the characters are ghosts or something, that will be cool. i cant wait to watch the anime and see what the story is.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

I would wait for a review but looks better then Pokemon to me......ducks and runs for cover!

Zaphod_Beeblebrox

Zaphod_Beeblebrox said:

Did someone say "ideas similar to those seen in franchises such as Dragon Quest"??? I'm a Dragon Quest fanatic. I played DQIX until the cartridge almost burst into flames.

I don't (and won't) have a Facebook account so I hope Level-5 is reading these comments too.

antipop621

antipop621 said:

Definitely yes. I have my hopes up already with that trademark they supposedly registered.

brandonbwii

brandonbwii said:

Hmmm, I wonder though? Typically when a company does this they already have plans to release it anyway. It's just a false sense to lead people to believe they're paying attention to fans on the internet.

They've likely already done separate market research already, so they already know whether or not the game is worth releasing.

TopLaytonsHat

TopLaytonsHat said:

^^ Well let's hope they've decided it IS worth releasing, otherwise this is just cruel. It is a pretty good way to generate buzz though if they already know they're releasing it

Philip_J_ReedStaff

Philip_J_Reed said:

For God's sake, Level-5, don't you realize I'll buy anything from you at this point? Don't waste your time even telling me what it is. JUST SELL IT TO ME

ZachBeacon

ZachBeacon said:

I am very much up for a Level-5 JRPG

...which is why I'm so annoyed that the DS version of Ni No Kuni never made it over here.

RaReRuX

RaReRuX said:

@avarisclari: @NickieBoy: That's almost certainly not going to happen. It did terribly in Japan from what I've heard, and I can only imagine it would do as bad or worse in other territories.

Anyways, I'm surprised they decided to try localizing this rather than Fantasy Life. FL definitely seems like the safer option in my opinion.

rjejr

rjejr said:

I think the real question should be - why wouldnt they? Pokemon, some Yugio, Ni No Kuni - its all in there. Why wouldnt this sell? And it has a tv show - which I suppose isnt coming to the US but people find anime - exported or not. Just do it Level 5.

meltendo

meltendo said:

Thanks Nintendolife for the tip! I went straight to their FB and showed my support of it!

BlackStar9000

BlackStar9000 said:

@Spoony_Tech "ducks and runs for cover"? YOU A THE MOST BADAZZ SPIRT DETECTIVE THERE IS! Go and bust up some ghosts before I tell Kuwabara that you aren't up for the task, lol.

Epicnessofme99

Epicnessofme99 said:

I have a feeling it will come though, apparently on Facebook in an earlier post they did the same thing with Inazuma Eleven and that came over, so here's to hoping it will!

ravens326

ravens326 said:

Honestly I have no idea what this is, but of course of I want this in America. I love trying new games!

3dcaleb

3dcaleb said:

so i just went and watched the first episode of "ghost watch" (or youkai watch) and i have to say it is so awesome!!! i want this so bad now. i hate facebook so i hope this counts as a vote but i would buy this game day 1 for sure.

brandonbwii

brandonbwii said:

@LaytonAprentice
"It is a pretty good way to generate buzz though if they already know they're releasing it"

That is EXACTLY what they're doing. Like I said the name is trademarked and the market research is already done. This is just a way to raise awareness of the product. It's social marketing.

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

I've been loving the heck out of Ni No Kuni these past few weeks, and Yo Kai Watch looks to be in the same vain so yea, I definitely hope this makes its way west.

It shouldn't need an anime to do well, and if it catches on they could always localize that later anyway.

AyeHaley

AyeHaley said:

Please make it happen Level 5!! I've been following that game for a while now and it looks a lot of fun.

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

Yes bring it Level-5, was disappointed the original Ninokuni for DS never made it but this would so make my exciting. The more RPG to the 3DS the better.

Vader_MIB

Vader_MIB said:

Yes please (in Europe !! who cares about the US ;))
First, this week, will be buying Weapon Shop de Omasse to encourage this.

BakaKnight

BakaKnight said:

I know everyone else already say it, but I can't resist, I have to add my YES here @o@;;;
Level 5 better release the game in all West now after giving us such a huge hope!!!

c1pher_c0mplet

c1pher_c0mplet said:

@MrWalkieTalkie Like the new baseball game avatar! Back to the game, I don't even have a Facebook but I'll make sure to visit the game's page to voice that should they decide to localize it, they can count a +1 preorder sale from me. =vD

WYLD-WOO

WYLD-WOO said:

YES PLEASE!!!! I would purchase pretty much anything LEVEL 5, anyway. You guys make such different and cool games.

ultraraichu

ultraraichu said:

I would be interested in both watching and playing in English. I don't have a Facebook account but when the time comes, I'll show my support, just like with Inazuma Eleven game and anime.

Heartful

Heartful said:

Wow. This game feels so original and exciting. The mechanics of the game are definitely influenced by some big titles, but they have a lot of fresh ideas. The story seems very appealing with a lot of comedy. It seems perfect! I hope this comes to Europe.

edhe

edhe said:

How about they do something about getting Fantasy Life out in the West before making any more empty promises?

Joshers744

Joshers744 said:

To be honest, I'm going to say I probably wouldn't play it. Not really an anime fan, and most of the time, not an RPG kind of guy.... Oddly enough though, I liked Fire Emblem Awakening... Smash Bros got me there though

lamco

lamco said:

I don't want to have to bring my fb back from the dead D: I'm very interested in this game. I also wish they would localise fantasy life in the Europe.

Keion

Keion said:

100%!!
I love Level-5! I'd really like to see Wonder Flick make it's way here to North America too. ^_^

Luna-Harmony

Luna-Harmony said:

yes yes yes ... Level 5 are my new fave dev's after ni no kuni they make such good quality games.

PrincessSugoi

PrincessSugoi said:

Just tweeted them. Anyone else who has no plans of ever touching Facebook should do the same. ;)

Maybe I can find some torrents of the anime, they should consider going ahead and localizing it to provide more promotion for the game.

Shambo

Shambo said:

@avarisclari Time Travelers indeed, first please. Unless of course they can travel back and release it later on, but somehow still before this one.

Windy

Windy said:

Ummmm. After watching the video why aren't we talking about Fantasy Life. Hello Level 5 do you intend to bring Fantasy Life west? I actually don't think I would get this title. The characters look extremely Childish.