Rumour: Cranky Kong to be Fourth Playable Character in Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Joining the young whippersnappers

With much noise around the Wii U currently focused on Super Mario 3D World, it's easy to lose sight of the fact that Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze is coming in early 2014, given a release period of February for North America. Considering it's the follow up to the outstanding Donkey Kong Country Returns and the work of Retro Studios, we should probably be full of anticipation.

As well as swish changes in camera angles and the ability to uproot and pull levers, this entry is also introducing new characters to the co-op fun that'll shake up abilities. Already confirmed is Dixie Kong, who can give a burst of elevation with her ponytail, yet Nintendo has kept the identity of a confirmed fourth playable character a mystery. It seems that Amazon, in this case Italian version amazon.it, has potentially leaked that playable character. The box art below features Cranky Kong, the miserly old ape that made his return in the Wii title as the purveyor of useful items, and could indeed be that fourth character. He appears in the supposed updated cover whereas, in the previously released box art that's also shown below, that was an empty space.

We've slapped the Rumour tag on this as Amazon and retailers in general aren't always correct, but it seems likely that Cranky would be playable after his role in the last game. Would you be happy with this, and how do you think he would play as a character? Sound off in the comments below.

[via gematsu.com, neogaf.com]

VoiceOfReason

VoiceOfReason said:

Well, More playable characters isn't bad, though there's never been a time playing through previous DKC games where I said to myself "I sure wish I could play as Cranky!"

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

I couldn't shake off the feeling that Cranky Kong could be playable, and even though this is a rumor, that box art looks too real. It's going to be very interesting to see how he plays. Cranky always claimed he could beat DK and friends at their own game. Now he'll have to prove himself.

Rezalack

Rezalack said:

@MrMario02 I was expecting and kind of hoping for him considering that was my favorite Donkey Kong for the SNES.. let's hope he still makes an appearance as a playable character. It's cool that Cranky will be playable though.. I'm betting his character "gimmick" (for lack of a better word) will be his beard.

bugaham

bugaham said:

His power is yelling at enemies to "get off his lawn" and then beating them with his cane.

DudeSean

DudeSean said:

Worst idea ever. I'd rather have Funky Kong than an old ape that can't even stand up straight.

ACK

ACK said:

The VGX announcement? Timing seems peculiar and it is the next big release, so a related trailer/announcement seems most likely.

SkywardCrowbar

SkywardCrowbar said:

I'd personally rather have Funky Kong (since he's always who I would play as in Mario Kart Wii) but this works too.

At this point, I really don't care too much about Wii U sales as long as the console sells enough to stay afloat. I'm just so happy with the games that Wii U has already and so excited for the games that will be coming in the future to Wii U. Haters can shut it. :)

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

As long as they keep it mostly the same as before in terms of difficulty I think this will be worth it for me.

Bet Super Kong is still in. (Not that I have ever actually used him only seen him referred to).

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

This can't not be awesome. Go Cranky!

But yeah, I won't be truly doing a dance of joy until they confirm multiple animal buddies. Come on, Retro!

CaptainBones

CaptainBones said:

Unlikely, but FREAKIN' AWESOME! I love Cranky Kong as a character, and him being playable would be so sweet.

BigDaddysPizza

BigDaddysPizza said:

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
THIS IS THE GREATEST DAY EVER.
(then I realize it is April 1st)
If this is true, I might have to buy a Wii U for this sole reason.

GamerZack87

GamerZack87 said:

I bet his primary method for defeating enemies is a string of ramblings about how their graphics look "too realistic", causing them to disappear in a mass of 8-bit pixels! :D

dc_10

dc_10 said:

So much win! IMO. Funky Kong would have been cool too. I just wish they could bring all the Kongs back in some way.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

If this is true, it would make sense if he was slower and weaker, effectively making the game harder so only pros could use him. And he wouldnt expect less, as arrogant as he is

MasterGraveheart

MasterGraveheart said:

I'd still like to see Diddy, Dixie, and Cranky be playable in the 1P mode and not just power-ups for Donkey Kong, y'know?

NbaJunkie

NbaJunkie said:

Hope they start releasing the donkey Kong country VCseries in January to build the hype...

Sparx

Sparx said:

I never even considered playing as him but now I feel like I just have to xD

MrGawain

MrGawain said:

And there I was speculating it could have been Wonder Green, Parappa the Rapper or Jessie Wallace from Eastenders!

Kingofthewinds

Kingofthewinds said:

I already plan on getting this game, but if crankys in it I will want it 1000 times more than I already do!

Henmii

Henmii said:

Yeah, Cranky could be fun! As someone said earlier, he could hit enemies with his cane!

@Knuckles_Claus,

That's the legend! But as far as I know it has never been 100% confirmed!

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

I for one love the idea! Cranky always claims he's better than DK, but it's hard to imagine him being able to get around like Donkey Kong...either way, I hope he makes it in as a playable character.

@NbaJunkie Unfortunately, that probably won't happen any time soon as they were removed from the Wii VC.

Gioku

Gioku said:

If you lose a life as Cranky Kong, he should have some... choice words for you, lol. :D

Jazzer94

Jazzer94 said:

I kinda wanted Donkey Kong Jr (aka DK's dad) in his adult form but Cranky will probably be fun to play as.

B-Squared

B-Squared said:

Regardless of who the fourth character is, I'm happy Nintendo is using their stable of characters and placing them into games. Kirby's Return to Dreamland, Super Mario 3D World and now Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze. I wouldn't mind this spreading to, say, Zelda or Metroid in some way.

Rezalack

Rezalack said:

@B-Squared In Zelda Wii U, you won't actually play as Link at all. You'll be playing Tingle. On a serious note, I agree with you. The more characters they bring into action, the better. As long as it doesn't become to convoluted, which I don't think is something you'd have to worry about.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

I expected Kiddy because it would balance the four characters into two sets of two, each having a heavyweight and lightweight. This would counter that logic, however, nowhere are there any written rules that says there HAS to be a balance between the four characters.

In all honesty, I cant think of anyone I'd like to see more. Kiddy was notoriously unpopular, although some purists may favor his return for the sake of tradition.

2Sang

2Sang said:

I won't get this then. I was hoping for King K. Rool, but oh well. It won't even sell a million copies anyways even with King K. Rool.

element187

element187 said:

Starting to sound like 4 player simultaneous multiplayer will be announced..... That's gotta be a REALLY hard game.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

While I would've loved Kiddy Kong as well, he had honestly always been a long shot. Funky Kong still has a chance to appear as an NPC who could transport the Kongs around the six islands in his barrel plane. I have low expectations of King K. Rool and the Kremlings being in this game at all, unfortunately. I expect we'll see a Cranky Kong trailer pretty soon.

Now this makes me wonder. Who is going to run the item shop now?

Diddy_kong

Diddy_kong said:

Please let this be just a rumour/bad photo shop. I want Kiddy Kong to be that 4th playable character. It should be the original 4 playable Kongs from the SNES trilogy.

hydeks

hydeks said:

Very cool if true! Can't wait to get this game, next year is going to have alot of good games!

Punny

Punny said:

Fans of the original DKC will know that Cranky will obviously be the best character in the game. As soon as anybody chooses him, he will complete the stage automatically. His Kong-Pow bonus will involve boring the enemies to death with rants about the game's HD graphics.

suburban_sensei

suburban_sensei said:

I always thought Cranky was funny, so I would welcome him as a playable character. I feel like he is probably just a supporting character or maybe a bigger part of the story, just not playable, hopefully we find out soon!

GatorGamer

GatorGamer said:

I'm not sure if I should be happy about this or not. I've never really wanted to play as Cranky. I was expecting either Funky or even K. Rool, considering the storyline possibilities. I mean, just think about it: DK and his long time rival join forces to defeat a common enemy... But, before I get ahead of myself, I suppose Cranky will do. :D

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

I wanted/thought it would be Funky Kong since he is relatively equal to Donkey Kong as Dixie Kong is relatively equal to Diddy Kong. I thought it would be 2 small & 2 large characters. But cranky kong?!... I don't know how I feel about him, but I guess I'll have to see him in action to judge. I'd love it if by some miracle it was released in Europe/Australia on or before January 4th. We'll see I guess.

SheldonRandoms

SheldonRandoms said:

Cranky Kong was probably the reason they had to delay the game. Add him in as DLC? LOL, nope, he's too good for that. If this were the days of the SNES, where DLC wasn't available for the SNES (and Nintendo didn't want to copy Sega's lock-on technology) then they would have to delay the game, just like that.

rjejr

rjejr said:

If Cranky is in the game he'll probably go all Master Roshi turtle hermit and kick some serious butt. Maybe while wearing a phony moustache disguise.

shaneoh

shaneoh said:

Guess DK finally told cranky to put up or shut up.

If this is true then it is a nice twist, I wouldn't have expected Cranky as a playable character

Big_L91

Big_L91 said:

yeah! they actually couldnt have picked a better character in my opinion.
keep it old school, none of this kiddie kong malarkey.

Marshi

Marshi said:

Whether its true or not,that bow art looks like cranky's face has just been overlaid the original box,and badly!

banacheck

banacheck said:

Believe me i haven't forgotten, for my Wii U this is my most anticipated Wii U game.

Pod

Pod said:

Looks a little too well made to be fake.

I would suppose using him makes the game super old-school difficult.

DarkNinja9

DarkNinja9 said:

of course i assume its not real maybe he is in the game like he was in the others but hes always been a supporting character never a playable which would be weird if he was playable to begin with so yeah

Pod

Pod said:

Waitaminute!

Donkey Kong's tie still says DK, Diddy's cap still says Nintendo, but the golden Rare pin in Dixie's beret is gone. Of course this is not surprising, if still a bit saddening.

sevex

sevex said:

I'm really hoping I can play this on the Gamepad with Super Nintendo style controls. (No waggle.)

SphericalCrusher

SphericalCrusher said:

Would be awesome to see Cranky come back! Since he's supposed to be the original DK from the first game, I'd love to see him bring some madness! Haha. Maybe a cane smash or something?

Luffymcduck

Luffymcduck said:

Personally I'd like to see Kiddy Kong so we'd have the original crew complete but this would be fun too.