Three Wii Classics Get A Price Reduction in North America

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Two Mario titles and a visit to Wuhu Island now available for $29.99

Part of Nintendo's push for the Holiday season is to promote the good value of its various systems and games, and with that in mind Nintendo of America has confirmed three major Wii titles that, as of today, will have a suggested retail price of just $29.99 in the region. These are as follows, with their U.S. sales to date also shown:

All three titles are highly rated and well worth consideration in the unlikely event you haven't already picked them up; they'll also run in the Wii Mode on the Wii U, of course. It's a great pity that the fantastic Super Mario Galaxy 2's sales are so much lower than the other two titles, something that will hopefully improve with this price cut.

Are any of these still on your list from the glory days of the Wii? Let us know if so, and what you think of this promotion.

Related Games

Warruz

Warruz said:

They should deep discount Donkey Kong County Returns due to the squeal coming out.

wicked636

wicked636 said:

i had trouble finding galaxy 2 finaly got it on ebay a few months back.also resort was getting hard to find the prices on amazon were going up and up.wish i could still get pikmin 2 for 19.99

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

My Wii backlog is immense, since I never owned one. Right now I'm going through Twilight Pricess, and I still have another discounted game (Mario Galaxy 1) to go before I go for those. Which is gonna be all the harder thanks to the plethora of Wii U titles on the way.

Not that I'm complaining. :)

UnseatingKDawg

UnseatingKDawg said:

That's good that they lower prices. All three games are excellent in their own right - I loved playing through them. I may restart Galaxy 2 soon...

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

I have months convincing one of my friends of getting Galaxy 2. Maybe this will help him to finally take the plunge.

Worth every penny of the $50 I paid back at launch. And for a moment when I first saw this news I thought it would be an HD rerelease instead. Oh well...

Peach64

Peach64 said:

That's kind of crazy. I picked up Mario Galaxy 2 and NSMB Wii in Morrisons last year for £10 each (and Skyward Sword and DKCR for the same price in Currys). Do stores in the US really not discount until the publisher tells them to? That would drive me nuts as these days I tend to just wait a year for everything to go £10 or lower. Stuff drops under £20 within a month or two of you can't wait that long.

RQuinain

RQuinain said:

Might have to consider getting Resort and Galaxy 2, though I want Resort more.

siconlol

siconlol said:

There are still some Wii games I have yet to try out (building 3ds library) I still wanna try metroid prime 3 and skyward sword :3

VolcanoFlames

VolcanoFlames said:

Have all already.
Hmm, but I think this is why they're not showing the 3D Mario ala Galaxy yet, but we are getting 3D World. That's cool.

tchaten

tchaten said:

Woohoo!! Haven't bought New Super Mario Bros. Wii - will for sure pick it up at that price - bought Galaxy 2 in March - really wish it wasn't 50, but still well worth that much

tchaten

tchaten said:

Thomas - you have a link to the source for this - would like to get this price today at BestBuy - they do price matching ....

sillygostly

sillygostly said:

Meanwhile, in Australia... that'll be $99.95 each, please. :D

To be fair though, I did grab myself Skyward Sword, two copies each of Boom Street (Fortune Street in the U.S.) and Wii Sports Resort the other week at a swish department store that was clearing out its entire games section for only $5 each. :D

Pachterkid

Pachterkid said:

It's about time, Nintendo. Titles on the PS3 that were 59.99 when they were originally released are often reduced by $20 or $30 mere months after their release. I picked up DmC: Devil May Cry in July, new, for $29.99. Same with Ni No Kuni, and they were released early 2013. Infamous I got new for only $10 as part of Sony's Greatest Hits brand.

For some reason Nintendo waits until people have completely moved on before dropping the prices of their exclusives. A few weeks ago I saw Smooth Moves and Other M still being sold at $54.99. That's pathetic. One is a 2007 release, and one is a game that nobody liked. There's 15-plus used copies of Other M at both of my local EB Games. We joke about burying them in the backyard because nobody wants the game.

Maybe if Nintendo had revenue from third-parties they wouldn't have to make all of their money on their own exclusives... hint hint.

bezerker99

bezerker99 said:

Fun games! Fortunately, I've got friends in real life who own all of them and let me borrow them on a frequent basis. In fact, I've had SMG2 since February - just haven't had time to play it. NSMB, I borrowed last year and beat and have since returned.

bahooney

bahooney said:

Why the fart hasn't SMG 2 surpassed NSMBWii?! In fact, why has NSMBWii sold NINE MILLION?!??

siconlol

siconlol said:

@Peach64 pretty much, at least in NYC, minus some very VERY small areas in Brooklyn however I do most of my shopping on amazon so its not bog issue for me :3

Darknyht

Darknyht said:

Don't forget much like Wii Sports Resort, NSMBWii was a pack in game and they count those as sales.

ejamer

ejamer said:

Stores were still charging $60 for Super Mario Galaxy 2 this past week here in Canada, and it was never a pack-in so the used market usually didn't help. Very glad to see this price drop... but can't help but wonder if it wouldn't have been more effective a couple of years ago when the Wii release schedule bottomed out.

@bahooney
NSMB was a pack-in title, which probably accounts for several million sales?

rjejr

rjejr said:

@Peach64 - Only Nintendo games hold their prices that long. Ubisoft usually drops stuff by half in a month or so. But it's also why everybody loves Black Friday sales. And Toys R US buy 1 get 1 free sales. And Gamefly renting is big. But only Nintendo can announce a 3 year old game dropping to $30 and make it news. I bought Other M used at Gamestop for $5 but it's still $50 at Target. Target has bad sales, but it used to clearance out a lot of yr old games for $11.98. Kmart clearance as well. CAG is a popular website here.

@bahooney - I think NSMB has been included in every Wii sold for the past 3 years and Nintendo likes to count those. It's why no game will ever surpass Wii Sports, which has probably sold over 100 million.

R-Moss

R-Moss said:

Super Mario Galaxy 2 isn't that good (Mario Galaxy 1 is so-so also).
Maybe now I'll start to think in this game...

XneroX

XneroX said:

I was hoping for Galaxy 1 as I own 2(played 1 on Gamefly). Must befor sales of their not cutting Galaxy 1.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

New Super Mario Bros Wii is worth it for Riivolution. (It seems ok until you play some level that have been properly playtested).

Nintenjoe64

Nintenjoe64 said:

@Peach64 £10 in Morrison? Wish my local one had that attitude. It still has stuff like Ninjabread man on its shelves and charges £35 for Mario Kart!

Having said that, this xmas my local GAME will probably have 2 for £30 deals on all the commercial failures like W101 so I am holding out til then!

It really is a shame that Galaxy 2 is being outsold by more than 3 to 1 by NSMBW but I still prefer Galaxy 1

Blue_Yoshi

Blue_Yoshi said:

Wow SMG2 only sold 2.7 million? THAT GAME HAS TO BE THE GREATEST FREAKING MARIO GAME OF ALL TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Platypus101

Platypus101 said:

@Peach64 yes, it seems to be that way... SMG2, Mario Sports mix and Kirby's return to Dreamland are not only full price in the states, but almost impossible to find (outside of EBay)!

@Warruz DKC has a squel coming from it?! Good grief I am never buying it... :D JK only picking on your spelling cause I hate auto correct!

VolcanoFlames

VolcanoFlames said:

@Blue_Yoshi Yes, it is the greatest Mario.. But the reason why we are getting 3D World is that;
1) We don't need another 2D Mario now.
2) Nintendo wants a system seller.
So I'm thinking if Ninty were to bring out SMG3/SMS2/SM[insert something here] for Wii U, it may not have gotten satisfactory sales as Nintendo hope.

VolcanoFlames

VolcanoFlames said:

1) We don't need another 2D Mario now.
2) Nintendo wants a system seller.

Nareva

Nareva said:

I'll get SMG2. I didn't have the time to play it when it arrived and after Wii U came out I was more interested in newer games. I've been wanting to play it for some time now.

wicked636

wicked636 said:

@Peach64 here in the u.s. we are lucky to save $10.00 on a mario game normaly. those stay up in price here i seen galaxy 2 going for 70.00 and 80.00 new on amazon before

odd69

odd69 said:

Seeing how the 2d mario game outsold the others, puts a retro smile on my face

element187

element187 said:

I'm waiting on a price cut of Skyward Sword. I didn't have a Wii so I'm building a Wii library for my Wii U of only the very best Wii games.

Pokefanmum82

Pokefanmum82 said:

Mario kart Wii is still $55 at some stores. I wish they would lower the price on that. I want to own it again.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

I already own NSMBW and I didnt care for SMG2 but I might pick up Wii Sports Resort when I have the money.

ToniK

ToniK said:

I have my golden remote but I'd need a sensor bar and a nunchuk to play Galaxy 2. I'm tempted though.

Btw, I've heard you can replace the sensor bar with two candles :)

Zodiak13

Zodiak13 said:

@IxnayontheCK I agree. I own nonw of these games. I own just the RPG's that came out for the Wii and I bought Galaxy for $5 at a retro game shop down the street. Motion controls really irritated me, hence why my 360 collection is bigger than my Wii collection. Never anytime before have I owned more non Nintendo console games in a current gen than when Wii was around. Heck, I hate Sony and I own 8 games on PS3 which is 1 less than my Wii. I will pick up Galaxy 2 probably now, but on the fence on NSMBW.

ULTRA-64

ULTRA-64 said:

All of these are amazing games, played them all through 100%......Years ago!!!
Why now?? It makes no commercial sense to do this now...why not do a Wii u bundle with a CLASSIC title included, or an e shop option to get the game on Wii mode, an ambassador program super discount for early Wii u buyers or even simply re-release them fully with ads to do some brand building....'REMEMBER THESE.....THEN LOOK AT WHAT THE WII U HAS TO OFFER!!'

TKOWL

TKOWL said:

Hey NoA, how about adding Mario Party 8 to that list? It's already put as a Nintendo Select in Europe, and still charging $50 for a 6 year old game is unforgivable.

Cuddles

Cuddles said:

@ricklongo Yup. I'm with you. Now that I have a WiiU I can catch up with all the old Wii games. I actually bought SMG, DK and Metroid Prime Trilogy when I got the WiiU so I could have something to play. I couldn't believe how smooth the controls were with Prime. Incredible.

FX29

FX29 said:

Sweet, I was hoping for a price drop for NSMW and Mario Galaxy 2. I'll defiantly pick these up eventually.

AVahne

AVahne said:

Great, now drop Skyward Sword as well and reprint Xenoblade at this price.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

Awesome! That should allow anyone who hasn't already enjoyed these great games to catch up haha. I used the Gamecube backwards compatibility of the Wii to catch up on a Nintendo console I had skipped (since I mistakenly saw it as uncool due to the console's design & wierd controller when I was younger & hence avoided it like the plague. Even when I had a good chance to buy one for cheap, sadly). I wish they would reduce the price of WiiWare games, I'd pick up tonnes if they did. Heck I wish they'd port it over to the Wii U eShop somehow.

shredmeister

shredmeister said:

I'll finally be picking up my own copy of NSMBW. Couldn't even get a used copy for less than $40. A new copy for $30 sounds nice.

Cohort

Cohort said:

@Jared1984 Not all those titles are full price in the UK, but in saying that I read somewhere that "a 3,000,000 wii game made more money than 6,000,000 360 game"..

DarkEdi

DarkEdi said:

How much is the price reduction? Well, i have the 3 already, only to know.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@R-Moss Why ? I got nothing whatsoever out of New Super Mario Bros (DS) / New Super Mario Bros Wii / New Super Mario Bros 2. The only thing that got me anything out of any of it was Riivolution. (In fact it is in the interests of Nintendo for something similar to be made for the Wii U version or I won't be buying a copy - people use mod's for games it is just as modern a concept as DLC - Prior to that I though I just didn't like playing Super Mario Bros other than the lost levels any more.) Maybe they should just be better they are capable of it no doubt about that and are making money hand over fist selling these games. (They made Mario World and Mario Bros 3 after all).

Bassman_Q

Bassman_Q said:

Awesome! I guess it's about time I picked up SMG2, then! Everyone's been saying how it's better than SMG1, but I just couldn't get myself to pay $50 for it. Now that it's on sale, I suppose I don't have any more excuses to NOT buy it. XD

DarkLloyd

DarkLloyd said:

dang was hoping to get the rest of the nintendo games cheaper like mario party 9 and those 2 other kirby games not the dream collection i already have lol and some other nintendo wii games that i probably forgot about

ajcismo

ajcismo said:

These should all be downloadable titles at $20 a piece on the Wii U eShop.

If each of us could run Nintendo for a day...

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@Warruz Already have.
It's $30 and sells for just over $20 on Amazon. That's as good as it gets for a game like that.

This is why there aren't as many Nintendo fans as there could be. Over 100 million Wii owners, yet under 3 million sales for Mario Galaxy 2- one of THE finest games of the 7th generation?

More people need to experience Nintendo's finest. If they did, they'd be forming lines in droves to buy the Wii U this holiday season. Unfortunately, the majority of Wii owners won't buy the good games, no, they'll buy Guitar Hero and 30 Great Carnival Mini Games garbage.... ughhh it's frustrating.

ThreadShadow

ThreadShadow said:

Yay! I haven't bought these yet! I almost bought one recently but picked up DKCR and Kirby's Epic Yarn instead. Glad I waited. Certainly pick them up soon at that price.

Jared1984

Jared1984 said:

@Cohort I'm pretty sure new super mario bros and mario kart are still being sold at full price. I'd say you guys were lucky but you're getting screwed pretty hard on the ps4 and xbone prices. $545.63 and $670.70 us dollars is harsh.

Cohort

Cohort said:

@Jared1984 The PS4 at £349.00 isn't that bad and will probably sell a lot more than the xbone at £429.00.

The £3DO launched at £600.00 I think and that was back in the 90s, EA had no problem fully supporting that console BTW, they had no worries over lack of sales there, even though they only sold like three units lol

JimLad

JimLad said:

Ah Super Mario Galaxy 2, the last truely great game Nintendo ever made...

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

The Galaxy games sold poorly because Nintendo insisted on pimping NSMB Wii every chance they got. It's a pity really, because both Galaxies were so much more immersive. I've spent literally hundreds of hours playing them both.

TreesenHauser

TreesenHauser said:

I'll definitely have to buy Super Mario Galaxy 2 now. I've been playing the heck out of the first Galaxy game lately.

SphericalCrusher

SphericalCrusher said:

@Tasuki Wii Sports Resort is a lot of fun. Loved Super Mario Galaxy 2 though. One of my favorite Mario games, along with SMB3, Super Mario World, and Super Mario 64.

Ultra64

Ultra64 said:

Can't find these at any stores around here....ugh~ I only want SMG2 again anyway..