Nintendo and Capcom to Announce Upcoming Collaboration

Posted by Martin Watts

Something beyond Monster Hunter 4?

Nintendo and Capcom announced at a recent event that they are planning to do something special in honour of their joint effort on Monster Hunter 4.

Whether this collaboration is related to Monster Hunter 4 itself or something entirely new is not yet known. Further details on this mystery endeavour will be revealed in a "Direct" fashion at some point before Monster Hunter 4 releases in Japan on 14th September. Given the timing of the announcement, it's very likely that it's linked to the Monster Hunter franchise in some way, although we'd happily welcome a collaborative project involving one of Nintendo's IPs.

What do you think this new collaboration between Nintendo and Capcom will entail? Share your thoughts with us in the comments section below.

[via siliconera.com]

Microwaveable1

Microwaveable1 said:

A new Mega Man? Nah, I shouldn't get my hopes up. Monster Hunter 4 releasing in the west would be awesome though! :)

PerezBro99

PerezBro99 said:

Oh man, if they made an EXCLUSIVE MEGA MAN GAME capcom will be my favorite third party publisher. Is the best they can do after nintendo put mega man in smash bros.

WingedSnagret

WingedSnagret said:

Anything involving the true Mega Man in an actual game (besides Smash Bros. of course) is fine by me. I'd say Nintendo vs. Capcom, but probably not.

theblackdragonAdmin

theblackdragon said:

The only good thing about a possible collaboration like this would be that Nintendo would definitely hold up their end of it, so we'd at least wind up with something after all the hype has come and gone — whether it be the original collaboration they worked on or whatever Nintendo comes up with to finish up their own hard work.

Ryno

Ryno said:

To bad it is probably going to be something MH4 related. Would love to see something Mega Man related.

uximal

uximal said:

Bowser as a Monster in MH4......nah, Nintendo X Capcom ........dunno

Rezalack

Rezalack said:

@Ryno That would be Totally Rad... I'm sorry. Had some good times with that game. I'm surprised anyway else is even aware of it's existence. (Totally Rad that is.) A Breath of Fire for the Wii U would be a must buy for me.

I have a slight feeling that Mega Man is on the table for a Nintendo release.. it feels like SSB is hinting towards that. The fact that Nintendo and Capcom have been so buddy buddy makes it feel like even more of a possibility. It just feels right and it would bring a lot of attention to both companies..

GuSolarFlare

GuSolarFlare said:

@Einherjar too soon they will wait the hype to increase and the fans to offer help :p
but really I'd love anything, not cancelled, that could come from such a collaboration I mean nintendo and Capcom are both unpredictable and mad this is perfect!!!! * ¬ *

Birthday_Boy

Birthday_Boy said:

Perhaps we'll be able to use Link's Sword in battle, or perhaps use Samus' blaster.
Or... perhaps we'll finally get PokeMonster Hunter!

KoopaPower

KoopaPower said:

I have an idea what if they made a new Megaman game using his new HD smash bros graphics & on the gamepad the original NES 8-Bit graphics can be played offscreen.

Ryno

Ryno said:

@Spuratis: Haha... Totally Rad is not the greatest NES game ever but it totally represents the awesome 80's that I love so much! Always cool to find other people a live back in the amazing period of time. :)

KoopaPower

KoopaPower said:

It would be so cool if Nintendo decided to do that. Using modern graphics on the TV & original NES & SNES graphics on the Gamepad

PKpunky

PKpunky said:

This better not be Mega Man statue wearing a Mario hat or something and slap a $99 price tag on it.

SparkOfSpirit

SparkOfSpirit said:

It has to be an exclusive Mega Man game after the Smash Bros. reveal.

Mega Man's popularity will skyrocket with the new Smash game. Both would be smart to take advantage of it.

TreonsRealm

TreonsRealm said:

Much like Sega and Sonic Lost World, my vote is for a Nintendo exclusive Mega Man game/series that Nintendo has a hand in developing/publishing. Great nostalgic games are going to become a major selling point for the Wii U and having beloved franchises like Sonic, Mega Man, Donkey Kong and Mario will go a long way for the system. A lineup like that would easily cement the Wii U as every gamer's second system of choice.

Just look at the Smash Bros. reveal at E3, everyone freaked out about Mega Man's inclusion. Combine this with the fact that Mega Man has always been most successful on Nintendo consoles and his largest fanbase are gonna be Nintendo fans. Hell, Nintendo could probably pay Capcom to make the character exclusive to their consoles and then hire Keiji Inafune's company to develop the games and oversee their development. I'm not getting my hopes too high but this scenario makes a LOT of sense from a business standpoint and fans would have a nerdgasm at the announcement.

UgliestSoup

UgliestSoup said:

I'm going out on a limb hear and the chances of this happening are pretty slim. Anyways, we haven't heard about the third exclusive Sonic the Hedgehog game from Nintendo right? Suppose this collaboration is for a new Mega Man game exclusive for the Wii U or 3DS. So it could possibly be Sonic X Mega Man X Mario.

WaveWarlock

WaveWarlock said:

Nintendo would be the perfect fit for the likes of Mega Man. It would seem fitting, considering MM himself has finally made his grand debut in the next Smash Bros.
First Sonic, now possibly Mega, what`s next. Streets of NintenRage

AVahne

AVahne said:

It probably just means Nintendo costumes in the Wii U version of Monster Hunter Frontier G. Hopefully there will be more than that.

Nabbit101

Nabbit101 said:

Project X Zone Starring Nintendo... So they're announcing it in a "Direct" fashion?

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

Yeah, I can't not think of Mega Man here, especially given the recent Sonic exclusivity deal with Sega. Would definitely make sense.

Guess I'm setting myself up for some disappointment, huh?

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

You know, I wonder if Mega Man being in Smash Bros. has anything to do with it? Back when Melee came out it raised awareness of Fire Emblem by having Marth and Roy as playable characters, so maybe they put Mega Man in this one to test the waters and raise awareness among new players.

PokemonManiac

PokemonManiac said:

I bet it's Pokemon related and has to do with the secret at the Pokemon game show. I'm hoping it's a street fighter with pokemon!

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

Imagine if Nintendo helped revive Mega Man? It would be a great way to pay back the Blue Bomber for debuting on the first Nintendo home console.

Although the safe prediction would be Nintendo-themed DLC for Monster Hunter 4, I can't help but think Mega Man would be such a great franchise for Nintendo to take part in.

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

@GuSilverFlame The most logical thing that could (and should) happen would be an exclusive MegaMan title. MegaMan taking part in smash caused much tremor among fans and even capcom shouldnt be so dumb to miss this opportunity to ride the hype wave. The best outcome would be a "bayonetta style" saving of MegaMan Legends 3, in that nintendo funds the project and secures exclusivity rights. Maybe even make it a WiiU game (or tackle both systems) But my hope for this to ever happen is slim to put it lightly.
Maybe its something as unspectacular as an add campaign hosted by Nintendo for Monster Hunter 4. That wouldnt be bad per se, but it would leave much to be desired...

MagicEmperor

MagicEmperor said:

For the love of God, please make it either NxC or NvsC. Please. Or Mega Man, that'd be sweet. Just something major!

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

As many are saying already, I wish it were a new Mega Man...

Doubt it... :(

MEGA MAN AND MARIO!

I can dream.

Shining-Void

Shining-Void said:

I hope its a new Okami game. Okami-den didn't do it for me. Though I'd be glad with a new IP or something. Hmmmmmm the possibilities.

TruenoGT

TruenoGT said:

Hopefully something for Wii U, the more games the better!

...How about PN03 HD? :)

FX29

FX29 said:

I would love to see a new Mega Man game! It's been 4 years since Star Force 3 and 3 years since Mega Man 10. Unfortunately the probability of a new Mega Man game is slim, however I'm interested in the collaboration regardless if it's Mega Man or not.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

It's probably an announcement about the Monster Hunter franchise so...
"All future Monster Hunter games coming exclusively to Nintendo hardware 'til the end of time... Forever!"
I'm calling it now ;)

RantingThespian

RantingThespian said:

If Nintendo wants to move a ton of Wii Us, all they need to do is have Capcom release a new Mega Man game exclusively for the Wii U.

Mega Man U = TONS of Wii U sales!

SphericalCrusher

SphericalCrusher said:

I have absolutely no idea, if it relates to Monster Hunter. Maybe Nintendo helping Capcom localize MH3 to NA???? (Please) Other than that, maybe some kind of deal where they help publish other games, such as Mega Man, etc. One can only hope!

Beta

Beta said:

A NEW MEGAMAN BATTLE NETWORK?! D'X Please, just please... ;_;

IKAY

IKAY said:

I'm looking forward to hunt some Bowsers in Monster Hunter and make a armor out of his materials! :D

Emblem

Emblem said:

Fyi they didnt say anything about a new game, this article is misleading.

Darel18

Darel18 said:

@WaveBoy xDDDDDD!!!! It's probably be something like that on Monster Hunter 4 (a kameo from Nintendo)

You guys really shouldn't hope for a new game... It's MH4 related.

WinterWarm

WinterWarm said:

@Angelic_Lapras_King

LoL.

@Darel

Listen to me boy, we MegaMan fans have been beaten down for year/s. We've been given $99.99 statues made of resin instead of $40.00 games made of awesomeness. We were promised MegaMan and we were let down. We've recently heard of a FPS MegaMan that was scrapped. We've waited, and waited. We will believe whatever the **** we want. Because we've stood the test of time.

I predict a..... Hmm... I don't really know, maybe a StreetPass feature? IDK.

Darel18

Darel18 said:

@WinterWarm Oh don't hey me wrong bro... I was waiting for the last Mega Man from Inafune... But we all know what happen and couldn't see his last work with the blue hero. It's just that this collaboration isn't what we are waiting for.

It's like the special announcement we were waiting from platinum games at their Wonderful direct and it was only info of the demo :'(

FullbringIchigo

FullbringIchigo said:

a new mega man would be nice but knowing capcom it's probably just porting the entire Resident Evil series to the WiiU but then again i love the Resi games so i wouldn't mind that either

or the Devil May Cry series, that would suit the WiiU really well i think

LetsGoRetro

LetsGoRetro said:

Please, nothing along the lines of silly costumes in games. Tekken, Rayman, it was fun but it's run it's course. Please, please let this be something of quality like a brand new, unique game, either Monster Hunter or Mega Man. Not an old game with new numbers and letters slapped on the title. A new, quality experience, and PLEASE put it on your system that desperately needs it- The Wii U! Give the public reasons to need this system when they already have a 3ds or Sony/Microsoft machine!

Rafie

Rafie said:

@Pixel-Perfect That's what I was thinking! Hahahaha That would be super awesome.

To all those saying a Mega Man exclusive game....forget about it. That would be suicide for Capcom to release an exclusive "Mega Man" game, and not release it to the other platforms. Mega Man is thee most requested game in history for another reiteration. I can only imagine the backlash for keeping it exclusive to Nintendo. Then again, Mega Man started with Nintendo. :)

Still I doubt it's a new Mega Man game. I won't get my hopes up. Breath Of Fire, another exclusive fighter from Capcom, or any other IP would be awesome.

Samurai_Goroh

Samurai_Goroh said:

Most likely its Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate for Wii U. Although I would prefer something unrelated to Monster Hunter, it's not that likely.

MrGawain

MrGawain said:

Looking at the picture of Iwata cross shaking the other guys hands, I'm guessing it's an Auld Lang Syne simulator. Lest old acquaintance be forgot....

Danglybits

Danglybits said:

Maybe Nintendo will let Retro Studios lose on one of Capcom Mega franchises and see if it can give it the Metroid Prime treatment?

Yawn. sorry i just woke up.
What a great dream.
What are we talking about?

Araknie

Araknie said:

I hope it's a new game or a port of Dragon's Dogma with the expansion included, that game always looked rad but i could not play it on PC because Capcom is random.

If it's a MegaMan i already know it will be only a timed exclusive.

Anyway we know now that we will have a new Nintendo Direct soon.

MAB

MAB said:

Yeah hopefully it's MH4 or that MH online one using the CryEngine... Mega Man is just a overrated mega bore fest of lame ;)

Shambo

Shambo said:

Let's hope they don't back out "because there's not enough interest from Nintendo fans". Scepticism aside, this does spark some interest... I need to know more before it's excitement, but Nintendo + Capcom... Minish Cap anyone? One of my favourite Zelda games... Also, 'the Capcom 5'...

Warruz

Warruz said:

Monster Hunter Frontier 2 for Wii U ????!?!?!?!?

Or a Mega Man will suffice

WebHead

WebHead said:

Probably MH related so I'm guessing that Nintendo bought the NA and EU MH publishing rights and a Wii U port of MH4 is in the works.

DarkKirby

DarkKirby said:

Nintendo vs Capcom, Nintendo vs Capcom... it's not going to happen for various reasons, but...

I would actually like to see a Nintendo/Capcom RPG, but neither Nintendo or Capcom seem to be too interested in making RPGs.

SubZer023

SubZer023 said:

maybe a DMC for 3DS or a new SSF game or a new Resident evil or could be a new IP idk .... :p

Obito_Tennyson

Obito_Tennyson said:

The only thing I'd beg from Capcom at the moment is Mega Man. Wii U, 3DS, I don't care. Just make one and I'll buy it.

umegames

umegames said:

Please let it be a Megaman game with nintendo helping develop it in some fashion

or

Capcom is getting their turn to develop a new metroid game

Hamguar

Hamguar said:

I like to have my cake and eat it too. Def hoping for some MonHun localization AND a new Megaman announcement for the 3DS. I feel that he would best fit the handheld model ala MM Zero and all his old school goodness in MM and MMX.

Rezalack

Rezalack said:

@1337man1233 Oh, wow. Cool. I used to watch those guys pretty often, I must have missed those episodes.. I'm going to have to check it out. I have some fun memories with that game. Thanks for telling me.

Windy

Windy said:

Maybe it will involve that stupid online adapter they made for the last Monster Hunter game so you could play it online but had to own a Wii-U to do so. Yeah i'm still mad about that. I do hope it will be something cool. Sorry for the sarcasm