Nintendo Direct: Watch The North American 3DS Presentation Live

Posted by Damien McFerran

Hype train inbound

Today, we'll be getting a special 3DS-focused Nintendo Direct which will hopefully give us a better idea of what the rest of 2013 has in store for the popular portable console.

Nintendo of America will be broadcasting a special announcement at 7AM PT / 10AM ET. You can view the proceedings — along with our typically insightful and witty commentary — on this very page. Are we good to you guys or what?

While you're waiting, why not fill the comment section with your prediction, hopes, fears and dreams? What do you think Nintendo will announce today?

Live Text - Updates will load here automatically, no need to refresh the page.

15:36

New Zelda based in the same world as LttP, for 3DS! OMG

15:35

Reggie! Link to the Past! Gulp...

15:35

Shin Megami Tensei hitting NA on July 16th!

15:33

Guild02 titles now!

15:32

Bravely Default and new Professor Layton coming to NA in 2014

15:31

Bravely Default confirmed for NA!

15:30

Zelda news - GBC games, not Majora's Mask...

15:29

Animal Crossing 3DS XL hardware bundle coming to NA

15:25

Skiing!

15:24

Earthbound is coming to the Virtual Console!

15:21

You got some Pikmin 3 in my 3DS Nintendo Direct!

15:19

Wii U Virtual Console coming after the update!

15:18

Wii U System Update coming next week!

15:18

Wii U Spring System Update details...

15:17

Available May 9th!

15:16

Mario and Donkey Kong: Minis on the Move is up next

15:14

New Yoshi's Island game klaxon!!

15:14

Donkey Kong Country Returns is coming in May!

15:13

8 new stages included, only available after you complete the game

15:13

Original mode will also be included...if you're tough enough!

15:12

New Mode allows you to take more hits than the Wii version

15:12

New mode is tailored for portable play...

15:11

Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D now!

15:10

New Super Luigi U coming this summer

15:09

New Super Luigi U now - the entire game has been retooled for Mario's brother!

15:08

Mario Party 3DS coming this winter!

15:05

Mario Golf World Tour is going online!

15:03

This game is looking "dreamy"! August 11th 3DS eShop release for Mario and Luigi

15:01

No caption required.

14:59

For the next 37 minutes, you belong to Nintendo

14:55

We are contractually obliged to ask if your bodies are ready

14:51

T-minus 10 minutes and counting...

14:40

The question is, will Reggie appear with over-sized Mario and Luigi mascots cheering him on? (Tom)

14:00

Not long now folks, prepare for 3DS goodness!

hamsterfactor

hamsterfactor said:

Hopes/dreams: localisation dates for Dragon Quest VII, Fantasy Life, Bravely Default and/or Layton vs Ace Attorney. Majora's Mask 3D or new Zelda announcement (either is fine by me since I haven't played MM).

Blury

Blury said:

MM3D would be nice, but not getting my hopes up too much. I know it will come around sooner or later....maybe...

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

Yep. Hype train inbound. I hope this one has some more good reveals.

I'm guessing the Wii U will take the spotlight at E3 since the 3DS is already getting so much attention.

SunnyShores

SunnyShores said:

pretty excited. wish it was a wii u direct. all in good time.
i need to get back into my 3ds.

AgentAPE

AgentAPE said:

I hope they drop a megaton. Really dont wanna see a recap on already announced games.

SkywardLink98

SkywardLink98 said:

@DarkCoolEdge I wouldn't count on it. The 3DS has proven it can handle console games. They both have a chance of getting it of course, but don't rule out the 3DS just yet. (I'd like to see them do something like Monster Hunter. Same game on different console with cross-pltform play.)

AgentAPE

AgentAPE said:

@SunnyShores
I feel you , but even a new game or 2 for the eshop with the "available now" line they like to use would make it worth while.

SunnyShores

SunnyShores said:

@AgentAPE
I agree. at least some cool new title announcement would be nice. something to get to get excited over. i'm sure they'll bring us something. even if it is small.
personally. majoras mask announcement would blow my mind.

tsm7

tsm7 said:

I have been a big supporter of Majora's Mask 3D but now I really hope it's not announced. Not only was the last zelda release a remake but now Wind Waker HD is coming. I need something new at this point.

Chriiis

Chriiis said:

@SunnyShores They've already said that they want to get the new, original 3DS Zelda out before they do another remake on the 3DS, so I doubt MM3D, as nice as it would be, is coming anytime soon.

ajcismo

ajcismo said:

Burning my last sick day till it re-cycles in a few weeks, so I can actually watch the broadcast... Any Zelda news and VC news would make me happy.

Pokefanmum82

Pokefanmum82 said:

i just want them to announce miiverse for the 3DS already. they announced that last year and nothing about it since.

SkywardLink98

SkywardLink98 said:

Y'know, when the video locks up you should post in the live feed that some big game was revealed just to troll us.

atl13falcons

atl13falcons said:

I honestly think this will be a fairly large announcement for the 3DS, so that E3 can focus on being a huge Wii U hype machine. There's only so much time for announcements at E3 I'm sure they'll want to help the Wii U out as much as they can with the stage time that they have.

SkywardLink98

SkywardLink98 said:

33 MORE MINUTES. It's sad I'm posting this. I guess I have nothing better to do, but for all this waiting YOU BETTER ANNOUNCE SOMETHING BIG NOA! YOU HEAR ME? SOMETHING BIG!

2Sang

2Sang said:

Hoping for some surprises. I don't really care about mario golf or whatever mario spinoffs there are.

Faruko

Faruko said:

does the 3DS really need a special Nintendo Direct ? i mean, the 3DS its on fire, its good they keep supporting it, but there ANOTHER CONSOLE out there that could use more support...

Come on NOA i missed University just because of this (lol)

Chriiis

Chriiis said:

The Wii U also got a direct that revealed a fair amount of new games, on top of what's been revealed since. I'm agreeing with others that think E3 should see the Wii U take the center stage; Talking about the 3DS now isn't going to end the world.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

With E3 being so close I don't see anything but dates today! Maybe a reveil of Bravely Default and a couple of others coming to the west but that's about all I'm expecting!

Discipledoctor

Discipledoctor said:

Skipping a class just for this...come on Ninty, I know it's not your game but bring us some PLvsAA....

Luigifan141

Luigifan141 said:

Do you guys think that they'll finally say something about TurboGrafix16 games being available on the 3DS Virtual Console? They said they would do that before the 3DS eShop even launched over two years ago, but we never heard anything about it since then.

Also, they should make 3D Classics: Kirby's Adventure 30 cents for a whole month to go with the Wii U version of Kirby's Adventure being the same price today.

HeatBombastic

HeatBombastic said:

@NImH They've been working on connectivity, I just don't know how much connectivity you're talking about. Cloud, or games?

pariah164

pariah164 said:

I am hoping for an announcement about the Oracle games, PLvsAA, and Fantasy Life.

slidecage

slidecage said:

i say they are giving up on the 3ds going to make a new handheld system and crashes everytime there is an update and the memory card can only be used on that one system and it will cost 10X more then a basic memory card

no wait a minute there is a system out there already like that.. its called VITA lol

2Sang

2Sang said:

@pariah164
That wasn't too bad, just some friendly joking. The vita will probably rebound at least a little next year.

HeroOfCybertron

HeroOfCybertron said:

I kinda hope they announce the release of the Oracle games for this Thursday (doubt it though) because I keep thinking they might announce something for the eshop tomorrow during this Direct.

pariah164

pariah164 said:

@2Sang Any complaints I have about the Vita are quashed when I remember Persona 4 Golden exists. Best game on the system and my favorite RPG of all time.

SunnyShores

SunnyShores said:

can we have enough class not to call everyone out on their opinion? and not get so butthurt?

@3Dash no. on your 3ds though.

Faruko

Faruko said:

Guys, VITA NEEDS to Rebound... competition keep companies on their toes and, what i care the most, KEEP PRICES LOWER, if there wasnt a Sony company out there, nintendo would do wathever they want and price their products whatever they want... Same would do Sony

pariah164

pariah164 said:

I'd like to see that Disney Castle Life game or whatever it's called get released.

Discipledoctor

Discipledoctor said:

@NimH

Seriously though, what if you actually were my Sociology Professor? Small world indeed. You bring up a good point, I could go for some cross play. And VC on the Wii U, of course...

Chriiis

Chriiis said:

@Five-seveN Sorry if I came across in a bad way there, so many sarcastic comments out now, sometimes can't tell. Wasn't sure there because you'd think a new Zelda would be something obvious. :)

3DSLUIGI

3DSLUIGI said:

Mario & Luigi: Dream Team gets a release date for 8/11/2013 huh. Real good to hear! ;)

rjejr

rjejr said:

Only Nintendo can continue to put out 2D platformers on it's new TV console system but really great looking 3D open world games on it's handheld. This, Luig's Mansion, Kid Icarus - all better than anything on WiiU at the moment. Maybe they are busy switching Pikmin 3 to 3DS, hence the delay ;-)

I may have to cross WiiU off my list and buy an 3DS XL. Nintendo has given up on WiiU, why shouldn't I?

2Sang

2Sang said:

Exactly what I feared so far, all stupid mario spinoffs, not even any luigi yet.

rjejr

rjejr said:

How is the multiplayer based Mario Party game put on a handheld and not the WIiU?!?!?!

Isnt' the Gamepad made to be a spinner and dice roller?

rjejr

rjejr said:

WiiU coverage - I think I just had a heart attack. If I don't comment for awhile somebody call an ambulance :-)

Faruko

Faruko said:

Nintendo showing how to do DLC right, looks big and awesome, hope the price is right though

rjejr

rjejr said:

"scheduled to be released" in summer? 2 months away? (Next month for Orla)

Well can't get any more wishy washy than that.

TheEmerlLad

TheEmerlLad said:

Oh man, Yoshi's Island and Mario Party. Really hoping they're saving the best for last!!! hoping

SkywardLink98

SkywardLink98 said:

Did he just say GBA games on the Wii U? REALLY?!? YOU HAVE IT MADE FOR THE 3DS AND YOU SKIP IT!?! No business sense whatsoever Nintendo... none whatsoever...

JJtheTexan

JJtheTexan said:

EEEEEEAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTTTTTHHHHHHHHHHHHBOUUUNNNNNNNNDDDDDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rjejr

rjejr said:

WiiU. woo hoo

I know a lot of people must have been holding off on buying a WiiU until an update.

VC on the Gamepad looks good though.

PIKMIN 3 - DATE DATE DATE????? Launching when? Did I here "in just a few months"? Killing me Nintendo. Killing me.

Oh, it's Earthbound, everybody just fainted, no more posts.

Faruko

Faruko said:

Wario Ware Smooth Moves was one of the best games on the Wii, played it to death with my brother beating our scores

SkywardLink98

SkywardLink98 said:

Great ND for the Wii U, pretty awful for the 3DS. I just wished they were honest with the advertising.

3DSLUIGI

3DSLUIGI said:

The Legend Of Zelda: Oracle Of Seasons and The Legend Of Zelda: Oracle Of Ages for 5/30/2013. I'm liking this Nintendo Direct so far!

rjejr

rjejr said:

Well I guess Oracles rules out Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire. Oh well, maybe next time.

beat

beat said:

im crying because bravely default is coming to NA... seriously bros... i love you nintendo and square enix

Joshers744

Joshers744 said:

May the 30th for the Oracle games. I don't have video stream here (only the text updates) but I found it on Zelda Dungeon.

rjejr

rjejr said:

Attack of the Friday Monsters is a game version o fGodzilla's Revenge, the worst of all the Godzuilla movies. Though I know it was big in Japan among fat kids in shorts.

REGGIE!!!

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

Oh man a new 2D Zelda.... :D :d :d

Well sort of 2D gameplay, but 3D graphics!

Much rather have that new one than an MM remake!

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

It's not the Zelda I was thinking it might be but ill take it!! Beside I wasn't the biggest fan of the 2 ds offerings.

JJtheTexan

JJtheTexan said:

Just when I was losing all faith in Nintendo... EarthBound... The Legend of Zelda 3D... Wii U Virtual Console... CRYING

LordessMeep

LordessMeep said:

NEW ZELDA TITLE!! Still disappointed at the lack of Majora's Mask.. but a new LttP title? Hells yes. :D

Zyph

Zyph said:

@Svengoolie i think you already noticed that this is a 3DS NDirect. The Wii U one was last January. We'll see more in the coming months especially E3...

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

Yoshi's Island, Mario Party, Earthbound, Game & Wario release date, and Zelda 3DS based on A Link to the Past? Wowza.

3DSLUIGI

3DSLUIGI said:

A new Zelda game that's in the same world as A Link To The Past looks real interesting. Can't wait to see what happens with this game.

3DSLUIGI

3DSLUIGI said:

I like the idea that EarthBound is FINALLY seeing the light of day on a VC like Wii U VC , but can't they do the same for Mother 1 and Mother 3 ?

Americasteam

Americasteam said:

Nintendo just knocked it out of the park! Greatest Nintendo Direct Ever Made! That new Zelda game is a day one buy! MM will come soon Im sure, but it was wise to announce a new Zelda game first.

rjejr

rjejr said:

Well that was impressive.

I can't even imagine what more anybody could be wanting on the 3DS:

Mario and Luigi
Mario
Zelda
more Zelda
Yoshi
more Mario
Earthbound
Japanese imports

Here's a summary of just how awesome that was - a 3DS Direct and he didn't even mention Pokemon X+Y. That's how awesome the 3DS is.

Joshers744

Joshers744 said:

I haven't got to see it due not haveing video here, but I really hope you don't have to use the touch screen to walk in the new Zelda. Worst part about the DS games.

DangerousDreams

DangerousDreams said:

Going back to the past baby! Link to the past!
Oh man and that wall merging mechanic looked freakng beautiful!

DRLAdmin

DRL said:

Attempting to comprehend the intense release schedule for the 3DS this year. So very, very excited.

bluecat

bluecat said:

WOAH. Earthbound coming to the VC and a new game set in A Link to the Past? Whaaaaaaaaaat.

MagicEmperor

MagicEmperor said:

I'm definitely satisfied as hell. :D Still, it's a shame that there's no confirmation of PLvAA. I will remain optimistic and hope it's announced in E3.

SMW

SMW said:

I was about to question everything if they were going to port a Link to the Past again, but I was completely surprised that its a NEW GAME! :D

Earthbound? Wait, he said Earthbound, didn't he?! For worldwide release?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No way. I saw the logo and heard straight from Iwata but I'm still in denial? Its been way too long, hasn't it?

realar

realar said:

I am in love with these comments- Earthbound, Zelda, and Bravely Default made a HUGE impact.

rjejr

rjejr said:

@TheEmerlLad - Good point. But they did announce Bravely Default: Flying Fairy, and thats Silicon Studio and Square Enix. And a bunch of Level 5 games.

Well either way, there's still a lot of games coming out on the 3DS.

astros75

astros75 said:

Wow...wow...wow. I really don't know how much more Nintendo can give us in 1 year! Loving it!

Ren

Ren said:

So what I got from that is: 3DS is the best thing you could have bought from Nintendo in years. And the WiiU should make a nice doorstop if you bought one.

good thing all those developers have been working so hard to bring one DLC package to a tired Mario game, and further polish 2 games that have are late and simmering for over a year now. Wario and Pikmin looked fun a year ago, but I'm over it now.

DarkKirby

DarkKirby said:

I am VERY concerned about Mario & Luigi Dream Team. I hope it does not have the same TERRIBLE item based attack system Partners in Time did (which was the worst in the entire series of Mario & Luigi games).

New 3DS Zelda looks nice, smiley faces on the springs a little too ridiculous looking.

Emaan

Emaan said:

This Nintendo Direct will go down in history- along with that famous Valentine's Day Wii U Direct and the Pokemon X and Y announcement. So much hype for 2013! :D

Konata

Konata said:

I just finished the Nintendo direct on youtube, as I slept in this morning >_<,
It made me VERY happy.

Intrepid

Intrepid said:

Earthbound! Best news ever!

I am in so much shock right now. If we're getting Earthbound, I wonder if it has been edited. Or maybe those things weren't as much of an issue as we thought? We'll have to play through and compare.

Windy

Windy said:

I gotta say in the short time of these reports. This one was the best and had some great news. I'm pumped to be a 3ds owner which is becoming my favorite system of all time! Not quite yet but almost there. Nintendo DS was my favorite of all time but 3ds is getting there.

I'm even going to thank Capcom even though I'm still mad at ya for no straight up online play for 3ds monster hunter

TheXboxHero

TheXboxHero said:

IM so happy right now! Thanks to all the companies who helped the 3DS! I BASICALLY FLIPPED OUT when Bravely Default: Flying Fairy was finally confirmed! THANK YOU GUYS! :)

P.S.: We spoke and they ACTUALLY LISTENED! We got Earthbound for the vitural console!!!!!

SCAR392

SCAR392 said:

Nintendo is legit. Looks like I got to be more careful with my money for the next year. So much stuff...

RevolverLink

RevolverLink said:

A new top-down Zelda?
Bravely Default?
All three Guild02 games?
A new Yoshi's Island?
Release dates for Pikmin 3, Mario & Luigi and the Oracle series ports?
EarthBound?
Professor Layton?

Nintendo just has no regard for how little money I have.

drumsandperc92

drumsandperc92 said:

ehm.
i literally will buy a 3DS for the new Zelda game.
I wonder if it is a literal sequel or spiritual successor; same Link or new Link? I...I...just soiled myself.

I have not owned a handheld system since the GBA.
Nothing on DS, PSP, Vita, 3DS has interested me quite enough to fork out the cash (because I'd end up playing it at home, not on the road like I did with my GB as a kid)
But then Nintendo had to go and do this???
Better start saving, because I'm going to buy a Wii U as soon as the next Zelda on there is released. I'm going to be BROKE !
TAKE MY MONEY NINTENDO!!! JUST TAKE IT ALL!

Snowdog14

Snowdog14 said:

Mario Kart Wii U! I will LITERALLY go CRAZY to get my hands on THAT! I just have to buy a Wii U first....... Which is about 300 bucks.... =( ......OFF TO SAVE SOME MONEY FOR A WII U! =D

Klunk23

Klunk23 said:

This was the greatest nintendo direct yet. But... Money. I need it. Well it's a good thing I kept my flamethrower 'cause it looks like I'm Robbin' a bank.

AVahne

AVahne said:

Nintendo of America...you did good. You did very good to get Square Enix to get off their butts to give us Bravely Default.

KodyWB-98

KodyWB-98 said:

Almost everything from this Nintendo Direct was fantastic! In my opinion:
Most exciting moment: Link to the Past sequel :)
Most disappointing moment: Professor Layton 6 coming 2014 and no mention of PL vs AA :(

koopatroopaX

koopatroopaX said:

yoshi's island for the 3ds looks like a remake of the original to the exact with eye candy and a few new powerups added. really hoping that view holds true. anyone else hoping for baby bowser's theme to be remixed better then ever, if that is even possible!?

mikeyman64

mikeyman64 said:

:D

Two best moments: 1. Flying Pikmin, the amount of strategic possibilities is astounding.
2. Zelda stuff. Loved the old Oracle games (played the GB/GBC games before I had a console.) Would be great to add them to my virtual library. Plus the new Zelda game looks pretty interesting. Anxious to see more.