Nintendo Download: 2nd August 2012 (North America)

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

A lost town, solitaire and reduced Mario

This week's North American update has relatively slim pickings, with Wii missing out entirely. There's one title each for eShop and DSiWare, a reduced Mario classic and a couple of videos, so let's look at what we have.

eShop

3D Solitaire (Zen Studios, $2.99) — The title tells you almost everything you need to know, with two modes that allow you to play Klondike 1 or Klondike 3 (one or three cards drawn at a time, respectively), and some attractive 3D animated backgrounds. It's a simple game at a budget price that gets the job done, as our 3D Solitaire review explains.

DSiWare

The Lost Town — The Jungle (CIRCLE Entertainment, 500pts) — The second title in the series, this action/adventure RPG tasks you with exploring the effects of a meteorite that landed in the Amazon jungle in 1997. We awarded the first title 7/10 in our The Lost Town — The Dust review, and we'll see whether this one's mix of quests, exploration and shooting are worth the adventure in the next few days.

Month of Mario

Super Mario Land (Reduced to $2.99 from 2nd August to 8th August) — The debut of the Super Mario series on Game Boy may not match the heights of its two sequels, but it's still a fun experience and now available with a $1 discount. Check out our Super Mario Land review to learn more about it.

Nintendo Video

Dinosaur Office: Coffee Run (free) — The dinosaurs face the only thing worse than extinction: a coffee shortage.

As the first part of a series over the next few weeks, there'll be a video for New Super Mario Bros. 2 on the eShop that shows one of the title's Rainbow courses. If discovered in the game, these areas apparently lead to a colossal number of coins, so this may be worth a watch.

So, what will you be downloading this week? Let us know in the comments and vote in the poll, below.

What will you be downloading first this week? (285 votes)

The Lost Town - The Jungle (DSiWare)

Super Mario Land (3DS VC - Game Boy)

11%

3D Solitaire (eShop)

Nothing this week

82%

Please login to vote in this poll.

Related Games

Knuckles

Knuckles said:

None for me, saving my money for Unchained Blades, Cave Story Plus and Sonic

MrWezzle

MrWezzle said:

I knew the summer explosion of awesome couldn't last forever, but dang. They stomped on the brakes quickly, didn't they? And yeah, weren't there supposed to be some Sonic games out before the 8-bit Summer ended?

KaiserGX

KaiserGX said:

Not putting the Sonic games IS your 8-Bit Summer! Notice they didn't have a release date? Good gift Reggie.

Flowerlark

Flowerlark said:

Aw, I miss 8-bit summer already...

Guess I'll just watch Dinosaur Office this week. I hope it's actually a funny one.

Ecto-1

Ecto-1 said:

Wow, I thought Game of the Weekend was going to be a permanent addition. Disappointed to see it gone.

KaiserGX

KaiserGX said:

@Ecto No last week, Nintendo sent out a Facebook message that Colors 3D was going to be the final Game of the Weekend.

@Thomas We had a Super Mario Bros. on sale as part of Month of Mario and a Game of the Weekend last week. So I doubt it. At least for this promotion. Eventually maybe they will start it again but I don't think we will be seeing it soon.

TheDreamingHawk

TheDreamingHawk said:

I don't care about anything this week. Considering how the sonic games now missed the deadlines 3 times, not to mention THEY HAVE RATINGS, This is insulting.

Zach777

Zach777 said:

So there's an updated version on Nano Assault coming to e-Shop eventually. It's basically the full retail version with new modes/options/features added.

TheDreamingHawk

TheDreamingHawk said:

Ain't it strange how this has as much content as May 10, the worst Eshop update of 2012? They better have something interesting in the catergories at least.

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

@Zach777 I own Nano Assault. Would really appreciate an update to get those bonus modes since I bought the retail version.

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

I voted "nothing this week" because I don't think a Nintendo Video...er...video deserves to be listed as a download release in the first place. It's not like you get to KEEP it or anything, and it's not even a game! So as far as the actual GAME content of this release goes...bleh. Not that I'm terribly SURPRISED to get no VC after the 8-bit Summer, but still...

KaiserGX

KaiserGX said:

I shut off Nintendo Video, I was tired of seeing the blue dot, going in, and seeing the same videos. Also most of those videos are never worthwhile or me.

Now that there's no more Game of the Weekend (at least for now). Should I download Pushmo, Dillon and Freakyforms?

3DSLUIGI

3DSLUIGI said:

Somehow I knew this was eventually bound to happen where we get no 3DS VC game again. I was actually hoping to see Sonic Blast in the eShop for today so I could revisit it again. I just hope this doesn't turn out to be another long drought like it was 2 and a half months ago.

grumblegrumble

grumblegrumble said:

What happened to the wonderful 8 bit offerings of 8 Bit Summer? We still have a month left! lol.. And I was hoping for the EU VC games...

FunkyMonkey

FunkyMonkey said:

I think we are pretty lucky considering what we've received in the last month or so. Kind of expected a weak update this week. I still have more than enough to keep me busy.

Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko said:

@TheDreamingHawk It was said in one of the commercials for 8-bit summer that it was a July event. One of the weird things in the commercials was the appearance of the Sonic games, but no date for them. So they might've been a temporary thing anyway.

iphys

iphys said:

Only 2 new games, and 1 of them is solitaire — so much for the updates being awesome all summer.

bahooney

bahooney said:

@KaiserGX Freakyforms is my third most-played title at 70 hours. Yeah.

If you are a creative person, Freakyforms is a bottomless pit of awesome. Totally worth the monies.

Nardar

Nardar said:

About the Game of the Weekend, I would think that they have had a lot of downloads because of the reduced prices. If Nintendo thought the Game of the Weekend was great, it will come back.

Barbiegurl777

Barbiegurl777 said:

Wow! It's a good thing I still have on my wishlist yet to download:

Stina 30 Jewel's
Mole Mania
3D Solitaire

I know not a big list. Darn I was really hoping Nintendo would throw in a surprise game in the mix like what they've been doing for a while now.

You know list some on there site then thursday there's one you didn't expect. Darn...

Yeah true I only see the Game of the weekend announced on friday through sunday this is only thursday.

Happy Gaming! (^_^)

KaiserGX

KaiserGX said:

Going to download Freakyforms then. Too impatient to wait for any Game of the Weekends anymore. Prolly will appear really later down the line...

Sam_Loser2

Sam_Loser2 said:

I'm still waiting for that tank game, and where are the last two games Nintendo freakin' advertised as part of the 8-bit summer? I'm still hoping game of the weekend continues after the whole month of Mario thing is over with.

Pokefanmum82

Pokefanmum82 said:

Getting 3d solitaire and that's it. Sucks we didn't get the Sonic games we were promised though

3DSLUIGI

3DSLUIGI said:

@Tsuchinoko

I can understand that there was no release date for both Sonic Blast and Sonic Labyrinth. But if it's temporary or not for those titles to be put into an ad, then not have anything said or mentioned about it later after the first 4 weeks of releases for the scheduled 3DS VC releases are up, then something is up. Talk about false advertising on NOA's part if these games don't show up once summer is over. Just another way of showing on NOA's part that at times, they really don't know how to operate their digital sales that well at times imo.

Prof_Clayton

Prof_Clayton said:

Guys the 8-bit summer video said "8 VC Games" and 2 a week, they reached 8. So it's over, get over it, move on. Nothing to see here folks.

TheConsiglio

TheConsiglio said:

Boy This Week Sucks. These Titles Are Lame. The Only Thing I'm Doin' Is Watching Those NSMB 2 Videos.

Pikachupwnage

Pikachupwnage said:

Terrible.

No game of the weekend
No VC
Crap 3DSwware.

The ball was rolling and they just pick it up and throw it in the dumpster.

WHERE THE FUDGE IS NIGHTSKY,UNCHAINED BLADES AND CAVE STORY+?

Nicalis told us to expect cave story+ in a month........3 months ago <_>

brandonbwii

brandonbwii said:

Nintendo may start having "deal of the week" stuff like their doing with Mario. The lack of the two sonic games is baffling though.

GrumpyGoomba

GrumpyGoomba said:

Dang it,no more game of the weekend.I thought 8-bit summer was supposed to last all of July and the first week of august

Joshers744

Joshers744 said:

Already have Super Mario Land so.....Dinasour office and....well that's it. I really hope since this 8 bit summer is coming to a close that the VC for 3DS doesn't goes on hold again.

TheDreamingHawk

TheDreamingHawk said:

Checked eshop.

No coming soon, the sonic titles completely vanished from the 8-bit summer section, and the trailer still shows them.

Also, the catergory says that you can last with the 8 games.

Annoying, seeing how soliitaire is not even featured on the shop. It's like NOA did nothing.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

As for me I wont be downloading anything this week which is ok I am still playing Warioland and I have Castlevania: PoR as well. Besides I got to save my money for NSMB2.

SonataAndante

SonataAndante said:

I like how there were signs pointing to them having more 8-bit summer stuff coming but they clearly don't feel like releasing it. How nice.

NMRodo

NMRodo said:

What a sudden drop in content. I guess the Sonic games in the 8-Bit Summer video were just shown as "coming soon" titles. I'm still happy to have gotten a few good games out of the promotion, though.

TheDreamingHawk

TheDreamingHawk said:

What happened to my comment? What the heck?

I'm still calling Nintendo, as I am quite mad over this update. I should have also held on to my older comment so I could have put it back up. Darn it.

Retro_on_theGo

Retro_on_theGo said:

DINASAUR OFFICE!! RAAAWWWRRR! I love Dinasaur Office!

I can't believe they stopped game of the weekend and no new VC. I had a hunch that once 8-bit summer was over the downloads start sucking again, but I'm sure it's just this one week. :)

Moorpheel

Moorpheel said:

I guess it will be easier to save money this week.

I hope they released Harvest Moon GB soon.

DrDaisy

DrDaisy said:

There are still some solid VC-eligible games that have yet to be released. Konami has some good titles like Contra Hard Corps, Castlevania Bloodlines, Rocket Knight Adventures, and two different versions of its sequel, Sparkster. I'd also like to see some games on the VC or WiiWare that deserve an M-rating.

ueI

ueI said:

At first I was excited to see the article have a poll. Then I realized we only got 2 games.

RR529

RR529 said:

Nothing for me this week. I'll be picking up Touch Battle Tank 3D next week, as NOA's website has it listed for an August 8th release date.

Undead_terror

Undead_terror said:

Don't want anything but it feels like I want solitaire. too bad theres no spider solitaire on it.

FluttershyGuy

FluttershyGuy said:

The VC Nazi is back from Summer vacation and serving up a steaming plate of "NO VEE CEE FOR YOU!"
Untitled

This means 8-bit Summer is over. Yet, where I am I have 2 more months of 100 degree-plus weather (supposed to be 113 today, we've been hottest city in the US last 2 days). Those short Summers in Redmond must be nice, eh Reggie? :p

The two I was really waiting for finally came though! Now to wait impatiently for the Zelda Oracle games, and Final Fantasy GB games. And Castlevania: Bloodlines & Contra Hard Corps on Wii VC.

FluttershyGuy

FluttershyGuy said:

@DrDaisy
I'm waiting for those too, but it's like Konami forgot VC exists years ago (and they've released few games for Wii & 3DS). They've never even released what I thought would've been a year one release, NES Contra. One of the "greatest games that never made it to Wii VC."

Castlevania: The Adventure is in making the rounds on 3DS VC, though, and hopefully Wii U gets Konami interested in console VC again. Overall, Konami has been almost irrelevant Nintendo-wise (and every other way) for at least a couple of years now.

OdnetninAges

OdnetninAges said:

Meh.

The 2 Sonic games are not that good anyway.
Get Triple Trouble or Generations.
Anyway, I'm enjoying KI:OM&M so far.
Y U NO HAPPY 4 WHAT U HAVE?!?!?!?!?

DarkEdi

DarkEdi said:

Commodore 64 has 30 anniversary (sorry my bad english)

Can Nintendo celebrate with a few games for this system in Wii VC?

Fabian

Fabian said:

@TheDreamingHawk Come down it´s true that this is the worst week evar for NA in 2012 but don´t be mat about just one 3ds game.We people in Europe would be verry happy to get even one 3ds Game a week.

RevolverLink

RevolverLink said:

It feels really dumb, picky and first-world-problems-y to say this about a game that costs less than a Lincoln even when it's not on sale, but I'd be all over Super Mario Land if it was priced at a buck - I'm just not sure there's enough content there to last beyond a sitting and justify spending even $3 on it.

Anyway, it's a crummy week, but I'm behind on Game Boy VC releases at the moment, so it's no biggie.

Firejonie

Firejonie said:

Already have Mario Land, not interested in the DSiWare and don't like Solitare. Guess it's just Dinosaur Office this week, anyone know what happened to Sonic Labyrinth and Sonic Blast?

Banjogeek

Banjogeek said:

Even if one of sonic games did come out next week it probably be only one of them and it probably be labyrinth which is the bad one out of the two.(well they are both bad games but labyrinth is the worst game.)

WolfRamHeart

WolfRamHeart said:

Looks like the summer of fun is over. Oh well, nothing good lasts forever. I still got plenty of games in my backlog to keep me busy so no biggie.

chanchandesu

chanchandesu said:

Probably getting Super Mario Land. I used to love it growing up. Shame though that it's rather short.

HADAA

HADAA said:

@NintendoLife A suggestion to the polls, can you swap out radio buttons in favor of check boxes? To allow multiple selections for those who'll be downloading more than one.

Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko said:

@3DSLUIGI I'm not arguing with you on that one. When I saw there was no release date in the ads, I thought it was really strange. They just should have left them out of the promotion entirely if they didn't have a spot for them in the schedule.

Stratostar

Stratostar said:

8-Bit Summer should not have been a "promotion". Releasing at least one new VC game a week should be the norm, not a rare, limited-time thing. I love the eShop, but getting your hopes up for an update only to be let down, week after week, is frustrating.
Stop drip-feeding us, Nintendo, and just give us our games!

skjia

skjia said:

What was that thing Reggie said about gamers never being satisfied?
We had a month of great content and we even had sales, which is huge for Nintendo. Let's give it some time (at least more than a week) before we start bashing Nintendo for not giving us what we want when we want it.

TheDreamingHawk

TheDreamingHawk said:

@skjia When it CAN and HAS been done before, is what's the problem.

Square snuck in and added new DLC for TRFF, so that's my pick this week.

anzzjam

anzzjam said:

@bezerker99 Why you not like Dinosaur Office? It produces some chuckles out of me and I like the animation. Now if I can take a 2x4 to the terrible threeidiots as there is nothing funny about them to me, and they prove painful to watch.

Anyone else miss Son of a Pitch Nintendo Videos? Those were hilarious. I really hope more come but seems unlikely.

Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko said:

Well, Japan has been getting a huge boost in 3DS VC the past month, with 2-3 games per week. I'm sure most of those will go to other regions very soon (even though some of the games are Japanese-exclusives).

anzzjam

anzzjam said:

There are many complaints here which are pretty weird. Give us more games!!!! I feel the same way sometimes but if you think about it, Nintendo's games are so good that you keep coming back to it like an addictive drug. Patience at least for a week or 2, then I'll harp on them too.

Blizzaga

Blizzaga said:

@FluttershyGuy You really think we'll get the Final Fantasy GBA games? That would be awesome. I could really go for Dawn of Souls, 4, 5, 6, and Tactics Advance.

But I doubt it will happen. It's just too good to be true.

RevolverLink

RevolverLink said:

@Blizzaga - I'm sure @FluttershyGuy was talking more about the games released under the Final Fantasy brand for the original Game Boy, like Adventure/Mystic Quest and the Legend trilogy.

Although if/when GBA games become available to the general public on the eShop, I would expect the GBA Final Fantasy releases to eventually follow - just keep in mind that SE generally likes to wait a good, long while before making their old games available as digital downloads, so I wouldn't get my hopes up of seeing even their original Game Boy games up for sale on the eShop anytime soon.

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

Not a great update but it seems like the last 10 or so leading up to this one have all been great and there was a bit of a revival of the Wii VC so I'll give Nintendo a pass for this week, especially since it's better than what Sony had on offer and 3D Solitaire seems pretty cool. I've been enjoying Deadlight quite a bit (think many reviewers were flat out missed the boat but to each their own) so I'll say for the first time in a while MS had the best week of the big 3 on the digital front. I expect Nintendo will be back in top form soon enough.

Lunapplebloom

Lunapplebloom said:

Nothing really for me this week, I got SML when it came on the Eshop all the way back over a year ago, and the other offerings are not for me.

Froggievilleus

Froggievilleus said:

Not every week is a winner. I'm looking forward to Dinosaur Office - rawr. Any word on when Picross e is coming out in the States?