Talking Point: The Critical Importance of Black Ops 2

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

CoD always sells

For those of you that follow gaming news beyond Nintendo, one title has been dominating all headlines: Call of Duty: Black Ops II. The Activision behemoth has been everywhere, grabbing attention ahead of a 'global reveal' and then accounting for the bulk of news stories on many multi-platform websites in the aftermath. While it's tempting to be cynical about the breadth of coverage, and some may lament that the series is as unbelievably popular as it is, it’s a reality of these gaming times. Any game with Call of Duty in the title will dominate headlines, public attention and, ultimately, software charts.

Why haven’t we been covering the title on Nintendo Life? One simple reason: the much publicised announcement confirmed Xbox 360 and PS3 as platforms, but no mention of Nintendo formats. The only notable rumour that appears to suggest a version on Wii U is from Norwegian website pressfire.no. A basic translation of a section discussing Nintendo attributes Mark Lamia of Treyarch hinting at further console announcements, with mention of a ‘long tradition’ of working on Nintendo consoles. That could mean a Wii version, of course, but Wii U is far more likely.

When considered from a perspective of maximising interest and sales, it seems vital for Wii U to have its own version of Black Ops II, simply because it will likely be the highest profile game title in November; the same month that will in all probability herald the arrival of Wii U. Nintendo will no doubt attract plenty of attention of its own, as it’ll undoubtedly have a major marketing push and, we hope, major launch titles of its own to capture the imagination. Yet, if it’s truly Nintendo’s intention that these consoles will aim to accommodate so-called ‘core’ gamers, then should the Call of Duty series be front and centre in that effort?

It’s clear, from what we know so far, that some major third party series that have previously skipped Wii will be arriving on Wii U: Assassin’s Creed III, Darksiders II and Aliens: Colonial Marines are all on the way, with many more either confirmed or strongly hinted. The big test for many of these titles, and by extension Nintendo, is how they will succeed on the Wii U platform. By November the Wii will have been on the market for six years, a lengthy period during which many cross-platform titles have either skipped Nintendo entirely, or in the case of many of those that did arrive Wii will have represented the smallest market share. Nintendo gamers have become accustomed to an entirely different games catalogue from those on the rival systems. Does the current Nintendo consumer base care about Black Ops II and titles like it, and will Wii U realistically attract fans of these titles away from their Xbox 360 or PS3?

One argument is that those issues aren’t important, that what counts is that Wii U owners have the choice of buying these major releases. There’s also the possibility that the concept of Wii U, which will surely be fully realised and shared at E3, will win over some who are attracted by a new, potentially innovative, gaming gadget. If some of these ‘Triple A’ titles accompany Wii U in its opening weeks and months, it may help to entice gamers who were driven away by the Wii’s modest capabilities or motion-controls, as well as those of us simply attracted by the fact that it’s a new Nintendo console.

Also important in convincing gamers to try the Wii U version of Black Ops II, or other high-profile releases, will be demonstrating that Nintendo’s system improves or enhances the experience of the title in way that cannot be matched by competitors. It’ll be all about the new controller, which will bring dual-stick controls alongside motion controls, NFC capabilities and that all-important screen. In the case of CoD titles, the second screen could be used for more imaginative uses than managing items and weapons, but also for alternative viewpoints and aerial perspectives when in the midst of a battle, as one example. FPS titles in particular will be ideal for not only the controller but also, of course, the Wii Remote pointer controls, so Wii U may represent the merging of both worlds in the eyes of the consumer. The focus is surely on developers, with assistance from Nintendo if necessary, to make the most of the gaming opportunities that Wii U possesses.

Back to the important question: does Wii U need Call of Duty: Black Ops II? In terms of whether the title will be integral to the console’s success, the answer is "probably not." The Wii enjoyed around four years of unmatched dominance without taking much of a share of the annual Call of Duty bonanza. With that said, Wii U will no doubt benefit from as many major third-party titles as possible, and at present they don’t get any bigger than the Call of Duty series. In fact, the last 12 months of declining Wii sales and popularity perhaps serves as a warning, that a console without a regular stream of big third-party hits will struggle to maintain success. Nintendo may be the master of its systems, consistently producing the finest gaming experiences itself, but in an increasingly competitive gaming market it may struggle to do all of the work on its own.

Black Ops II will be on a lot of gamers' minds in the coming months, as the hype rises through multiple levels of madness. If E3 or any other event unveils a Wii U version that boasts unique gameplay features incorporating the new controller it certainly wouldn’t hurt launch sales. With Sony and Microsoft planning their own next-generation consoles, Nintendo would be wise to quickly win over not only its established supporters, but also those more interested in CoD than Mario.

What do you think? Are titles such as Call of Duty: Black Ops II going to be important to Wii U, or will Microsoft and Sony continue to be the home of those titles? Let us know in the comments below.

JustAnotherUser

JustAnotherUser said:

Frankly I don't care about the Call of Duty series. (Well I do really, I despise it.)
But if it will help the Wii U sell then bring it over.

Undead_terror

Undead_terror said:

dont really care for it being on the wii/wii u so much but i hope it comes on the 3ds NOT the ds and to have online chat and a zombie mode with DLC

Knux

Knux said:

Bleh, I could care less about Call of Duty. It's an overrated and mediocre franchise that has been milked to death. Black Ops 2 looks mildly interesting though.

BenAV

BenAV said:

It'd be good to see it released on the Wii U to help with early system sales, but I'm pretty sure won't be buying it.
Just give me Pikmin 3.

Chrono_Cross

Chrono_Cross said:

@Knux
But you've never played Call of Duty..

I don't need to read this article to know any importance of this game on Wii U other than exclusive content. Without it, people will pass it up on Wii U and buy it on their perfectly fine PlayStation 3/Xbox 360/PC.

AltDotNerd

AltDotNerd said:

I was dissapointed with MW3, but Treyarch's COD is head & shoulders above Infinity Ward's version. Zombie mode is insane!

tardis10

tardis10 said:

Frankly, I don't think CoD's primary market are that interested in innovation - or the franchise would have flopped years ago. I have a PS3, and it seems to me that those who have a Wii, and will have a Wii U, are interested in fun and user experience, and those who like CoD, and Xbox 360s, are not. I would buy CoD BO2 for Wii U, but I rather think I would be one of very few in line at Game.

King_Boo

King_Boo said:

Games that have a major multiplayer focus are normally tied to a console based on a friends list or gamer score or the like. So there would need to be a huge reason to switch systems.
Since my friend and I already own 3DS' I'll be getting it for 3DS.

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

Nintendo are often left out where games are released for PS3 and Xbox 360, but they always have enough of their own unique games to cope with it.

Hyperstar96

Hyperstar96 said:

Forgive my trolling, but screw Call of Duty and everyone who thinks it's the greatest thing since the NES.

Sir_Deadly

Sir_Deadly said:

3arc has support Nintendo soo i am confident it will release. Plus 3arc is the better company to come out with COD games than that other company lol!!!

Wheels2050

Wheels2050 said:

I think the Wii U needs games such as COD, and needs them to be equal to or better than the versions being put out on the 360 and PS3.

The Wii did well without COD because, for the most part, the people buying the Wii weren't the same demographic that plays COD. I don't think they can rely on that for the Wii U.

While I don't have any numbers, I imagine that the vast majority of Wii owners are people who will not be upgrading - one game console is enough, and an upgrade simply does not appeal. If this is the case, then Nintendo needs to attract people with high-profile, mainstream games. COD, among others, is exactly what is needed.

If Nintendo can get its foot in the door with the 'core' gaming demographic, who invest time and money in the Wii U before the next generation MS and Sony consoles come out, then Nintendo may have a better chance of maintaining a lead through the next console generation.

However, if they can't entice people to move across from their Xbox or PS3, then they'll have a much smaller demographic buying the console. It won't be all doom and gloom, but the fact is that a large fraction of today's gamers simply aren't interested in the Marios and Zeldas, and that's where Nintendo needs help from other franchises.

That's how I see it, anyway.

Cia

Cia said:

I have played through only Modern warfare (the first), and what a bland experience it was. I wouldn't buy this on my PS3 anymore than Wii U (which i'm not gonna get for ages).

Undead_terror

Undead_terror said:

@Hyperstar96 i really dont care about cod but i love the zombie mode to bits so much its not funny.
.....................................................
they even made a christmas song

zombie bells

Alienfish

Alienfish said:

One thing I'm sure of is that COD doesn't sell systems, it sells itself. That said, I'm going to venture a guess that anyone who has a WiiU when it comes out will probably want to buy COD for WiiU as long as the online multiplayer is generally bug free. What's better: native 1080p @ 60fps or upscaled 720p @ 30fps? Nuff said.

RR529

RR529 said:

Do I think Call of Duty is the best thing ever? H*ll no, but that doesn't mean that it's not fun to play from time to time. I enjoyed WAW and MW2 and I used to play them quite a bit, but I haven't bought any of the newer ones because they haven't added anything significantly new, but that doesn't mean they're not fun. If this does come to The 'U, the unique control options might be enough for me to look into the series again.

Squiggle55

Squiggle55 said:

I don't see many CoD players switching over to the Wii U to use that big hunk of a controller for an FPS. And what if you want to play split screen? unless Nintendo announces that you can use 2 of the new controllers, then someone has to use a wiimote? I think not. But just the fact that it exists as an option should help Nintendo's image with those people if that's what they're going for.

*edit: now that I think about it. I hope Nintendo announces 1 of 2 things. 1) compatibility with multiple tablet controllers or 2) an entirely new controller for the other 3 people in the room that doesn't suck like the wiimote and has lots of input options but no screen.

DeMoN-13ruce

DeMoN-13ruce said:

if there comes a wii u version i will buy it over the ps3 version any day all day.=)

i just buy call of duty to play with irl friends at home online or splitscreen thats the only thing i enjoy about it and zombies

rjejr

rjejr said:

I don't play FPS on any system, so it doesn't matter to me either way. I think the WiiU is going to sell or not sell this year based on price and exclusives, not 3rd party support. People aren't going to wait in line to buy a WiiU and then wait in line again to buy COD for it. Next holiday season (2013) the system will need to carry all the big games that are also on both the Xbox and PS to be taken seriously, but the WiiU LAUNCH is all about price and exclusivity.

armoredghor

armoredghor said:

I think COD is the next Madden. Minor changes every year and yet somehow it always sells.

JonWahlgrenAdmin

JonWahlgren said:

If I can get me some HD Blops with pointer controls then I will be one happy panda.

IsawYoshi

IsawYoshi said:

Lol, as a norwegian I must say it is funny that you always say "the norwegian" to stuff from norway :D When it's from USA or great brittain you never mention it :)

BattleBorn

BattleBorn said:

CoD doesn't excite me as a gamer, but all sane-minded Nintendo fans should have tremendous respect for Treyarch for their support and loyalty to the Wii. It would be a shock if BLOPS 2 doesn't make it to the HD-ready Wii U.

Dotelias

Dotelias said:

@Squiggle55 There is the Classic Controller (Pro), that works just like any PS or Xbox controller right? (and all of the COD on wii support it) i don't see a problem for split screen, besides i preffer wiimote and nunchuk for FPS, cheers :)

C-Olimar

C-Olimar said:

@26 I play CoD all the time, since that and FIFA are all my friends seem to play, and I also am of that opinion. Occasionally people can be coersed into Mario Kart though...

Captain_Hookey

Captain_Hookey said:

why did you even put this game on the NL site? everybody knows that this game will turn out like a horrible piece of crud.

Mandoble

Mandoble said:

Why? it is better to concentrate on WiiU Parties, Mario Bros XVIII and similars, after all these are the only things that sell well for Nintendo, right? I would add that "Nintendo gamers have BEEN FORCED to become accustomed to an entirely different games catalogue from those on the rival systems".

TrueWiiMaster

TrueWiiMaster said:

Though I'll definitely be skipping it either way, it would certainly be a big game that Nintendo should want on the Wii U, especially if it has exclusive features or content. I think IGN did a similar article a while back about games the Wii U needs to get to prove itself to the self-proclaimed "core gamers". Games like GTA 5, Black Ops 2, and Resident Evil 6 are big names that could only help the Wii U succeed.

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

@Retro_Hype 'While it's tempting to be cynical about the breadth of coverage, and some may lament that the series is as unbelievably popular as it is, it’s a reality of these gaming times. Any game with Call of Duty in the title will dominate headlines, public attention and, ultimately, software charts.' That and Wii U is potentially out in the same month as this game.

That's why. We all like different things, and it seems that millions of gamers like CoD.

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

I bought the first Black Ops title on Wii and it was entertaining enough, but hampered by a crap single-player campaign (what an awful story - where, exactly, were the "black ops" I was expecting from the title?) and online which was probably fine for people in the States where both players and servers seemed to be located, but horribly laggy for those of us across the Atlantic.

I'll get the zombie game if they offer it as a separate downloadable title, but I'm not interested in this sequel. If I was interested in this kind of game, then I'd probably own one of the other consoles. I'm all about third party releases on the Wii-U, just not the ones that are presently massive sellers on the Playstation and X-Box.

LordJumpMad

LordJumpMad said:

I had a feeling that this was going to bring in alot of sad-panda nintendo fans in here.

I on the other hand love FP shooters games,and their a ton of fun to play with.
Noting beats the trill of picking up that gun, and giving them the honor and misfortune of taking you on in battle, because in war,you can't spell slaughter without laughter!
The only reason of bunch of you don't like'em, is because your bully makes fun of you for playing nintendo games.
Well, you can suck it up, or miss out on a real game, for real gamers.

Captain_Hookey

Captain_Hookey said:

@ThomasBW84

yes, I REALIZE THAT. but did you really have to bring it HERE? it hasn't even been confirmed to be on the wii U has it? come get me when it HAS been announced for wii U.

Reala

Reala said:

@Retro_Hype you seem a bit upset at the mere thought of the game appearing on wii u I'm not sure anyone dare inform you it was actually about to come true and be released :p

shingi_70

shingi_70 said:

@Retro_Hype

Because the pieace your reading is a editorial and the one writing it is talking about it woukd be wise to get the gameon wii u at launch as it moves hardware.

NINTENBOY

NINTENBOY said:

Treyarch has put every single call of duty game on the Wii every year so why the FUDGE would you guys think for a second that it wouldn't be on WiiU. What would have taken MONTHS to port to Wii now takes mere HOURS it's that big of a difference so I'm not even sweetin it the only reason they haven't announced it yet is because WiiU isn't their main focus their announce when they feel like it :P

FiveDigitLP

FiveDigitLP said:

@Dotelias
I was just getting on here to reply the same thing to @Squiggle55 . I've been playing Xenoblade, and I think the classic controller pro works great for that. It's got the same amount of buttons as the other systems...unless maybe if you count pressing in the control stick. Can it do that?

KrazyBean

KrazyBean said:

We can all say what we want about CoD, but it always and will always sells bucket loads.

theblackdragonAdmin

theblackdragon said:

@Retro_Hype: Last i checked, no one was forcing you at gunpoint to read this article, and besides, it's a Talking Point — an opinion piece. It clearly has the words 'Black Ops' in the title; surely you knew what you were getting into when you clicked to read more. Please calm down. :/

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

@Retro_Hype I appreciate that you don't agree with this Black Ops 2 article appearing, and of course that's your right, but the purpose of it is to highlight the attention CoD games demand, and why it will be a boost for Wii U if it does arrive. As mentioned in the article, Treyarch have, possibly in an unguarded moment, teased about a Wii U version, and its an equally important issue if Wii U misses out on this title. The sales figures for this series are phenomenal, and perhaps if Wii U can boast the same graphics (maybe marginally better) and unique functions with the tablet controller, it could be a boost for the system in its early days.

To be completely upfront and honest, I haven't owned a Call of Duty game since the first sequel on PC, which was years ago. I've seen the others on friends and relatives' systems, but never wanted to buy one myself. It's just not my kind of game, which is just one of many reasons why I own a Wii and 3DS rather than rival systems, because I'd sooner play Mario than an FPS.

That's a personal preference, but CoD and titles like it have a huge audience, and Nintendo needs to get whatever share of that market that it can. With the crazy hype since the 'global reveal' of a trailer for Blops 2, now seemed like a sensible time to think about it in the context of Wii U.

Edit - and what TBD has said while I was writing my comment :)

mamp

mamp said:

Of course the WiiU needs call of duty, in fact it needs as many good games as possible because that's what makes a system amazing. Also we know Nintendo is awesome but it might help others (who don't know) realize that Nintendo isn't just a company for kids or people who wanna play dancing and zumba games.

Hokori

Hokori said:

I love how some people assume if we don't like COD it means we haven't played it, no it just means we don't care for the generic FPS that's been milked harder then....

Ren

Ren said:

@Retro Hype
This is not a marketing hype site it is a Nintendo fan site. And even many die-hard Nintendo fans find this kind of thing pretty compelling. To be left out of the COD deluge even with a 'nex gen" Wii would be a pretty horrible thing and many of us are pretty interested in talking about it.
I'm not crazy about the COD games, either, but I can't deny how fun they can be for short periods. It really does feel pretty sad playing the Wii versions and seeing low res cut scenes that look 10 times better than the actual gameplay and knowing that the gameplay is at least that nice on the HD systems for the entire thing.

RudysaurusRex

RudysaurusRex said:

I only have a wii and the call of duty games aren't splitscreen, which is my favorite part of the other versions. This would promote me to buy a Wii U.

theblackdragonAdmin

theblackdragon said:

@Goron: it helps to let our readers know what language to expect when they click a link — that, and '.no' is an odd TLD to those of us used to almost every site we visit being either '.com', '.net', '.org', or '.co.uk' :3

SonyFACE

SonyFACE said:

@LztheBlehBird You and I may be the only ones here who know that COD is a fish too... I make that joke to some of my friends but they don't get it XD

Neram

Neram said:

People must get sick of CoD games pretty quick if they're getting excited already over a new one, MW3 just came out 6 months ago and Black Ops 2 is announced already!? Aren't the developers getting sick of making it? Isn't SOMEBODY getting tired of CoD?

C-195

C-195 said:

@Neram: Virtually every gamer is.
This one seems to innovate somewhat, so we'll have to see if I works or not.
BTW The ingame robots look terrible.

Malkeor

Malkeor said:

It's not about the games at this point though...people are still going to look at the system and question the controller, specs, online, etc.

What they have to do to sell the 'hardcore' games they are bringing to the Wii U and show how it'll be better to play with that system.

Core players like this are used to traditional controllers, and they have to find a way to convince them that the first person shooters are going to rock the Wii U

It all sounds good in theory, but people are still gonna be skeptical and think it's too much trouble. They have to really prove it'll be a great experience.

More to add: Not only that...but the 3rd parties actually have to try to make it unique and fun.
Tales of the Abyss for 3DS....3D isn't even that good...at all. If you want people to be impressed you have to really bring out the system's strengths, show people THIS is the version to get, but if not that at least make it make sense and put some effort into using the main functions of the system.

Slapshot

Slapshot said:

I had absolutely no interest in Call of Duty: Black Ops II until yesterday, when I was literally forced to watch the trailer from a good gamer friend of mine, who's also tired of the series somewhat.

Treyarch is throwing out all the stops with Black Ops II, bringing a futuristic sci-fi shooter that's more in the vein of Halo and Killzone 3, instead of the same small changes that we've previously seen with previous CoD titles. They've even scored David Goyer as a writer, who co-develop the story of Batman movie titles: The Dark Knight and Batman Begins! I'm actually quite excited for this new CoD now!

If Nintendo truly want Wii U to be taken seriously, which is something that it isn't from all of my personal core gamer friends, they need to do any and everything that they can to make dang sure that Call of Duty: Black Ops II lands on Wii U!

hydeks

hydeks said:

Call of Duty is a CANCER on gaming and should be shot with one of it's guns :P But sadly, I agree that it should come to Wii U just to boost sales more, BUT I don't think people wanting to play Call of Duty run to buy a Nintendo system, Xbox 360 sure, Nintendo system.....noooooooo

EvisceratorX

EvisceratorX said:

I think it may come to the Wii U, but for different reasons. Though nothing's confirmed yet, it's rumored that the PS3 and Xbox successors will feature a ban on used games and require that the console must remain constantly connected to the internet in order to play any games, for single or multi player. If such rumors are actually true, then those consoles will fail without question. This would lead to all the publishers flocking to the Wii U. We'll just have to wait and see.

Captain_Hookey

Captain_Hookey said:

@everyone

that's not my only problem. my other problem is that CoD: Bo2 takes place in the future... with robots... i doubt that will raise sales much...

Splat

Splat said:

@Retro_Hype - Are you joking? This was posted on Push Square.

"Call of Duty: Black Ops II is poised to become another blockbuster of epic proportions, if early indications from online retailer Amazon are to be believed. A report on MCV notes that early orders for the upcoming title are already triple those of the original Call of Duty: Black Ops which released in 2010."

Chris720

Chris720 said:

Infinity Ward don't ever move over to a new console until it's been out for a few months or so, so I wouldn't expect to see it on the Wii U. Not to mention they hate Nintendo platforms because of lack of power which means it might be handed over to Treyarch to be ported over. And after their lack of fixing MW3 properly, I don't hold much hope for Treyarch any more.

To be honest though, Call of Duty is an overdone and over-milked series to begin with. However, there is no other FPS out there that can beat it, not even the re-visioned Goldeneye, sadly.

Smooth27

Smooth27 said:

It better be fir Wii U, and a narrative from n-space although im doubting that one.

RR529

RR529 said:

Just saw the reveal trailer, and I must say that I'm pretty interested in it now. The whole future thing is actually an interesting (and dare I say bold) step for the franchise. I wonder if the series' mass fanbase will accept the new Sci-Fi direction the series has taken.

If the comments on You Tube are to be believed (yeah, yeah, I know) there seem to be quite a bit of COD fans p*ssed at the concept. It's interesting to see how things will play out.

Slapshot

Slapshot said:

@hydeks Last time I checked, cancer kills, not drawing in more money than any other genre in the gaming industry.

If Nintendo truly desires to obtain the core gamers with Wii U, then they'll do everything in their power to get every major third party multiplatform title on Wii U with exclusive control features that aren't possible on other systems. Wii U is a current gen system that is releases years behind the others, but they've got enough creative technology in the system, that if they push hard enough, they could pull in the core gamers by the droves.

Call of Duty: Black Ops II, with dual analogue controls, but exclusive touch screen item slots and mapping interface, etc. would do the series great, and very well could pull in the core gaming crowd once again — Microsoft is losing faith with its core base, and if Nintendo doesn't grab them up, Sony will!

Nintendo actually has the opportunity to draw in the masses with Wii U, its just a matter of if they're willing to make the sacrifices they've held onto for so long now to actually get them. Friends Codes have to absolutely abolished, or no Call of Duty title will ever reach the success of other systems... ever!

Wheels2050

Wheels2050 said:

It's a bit disappointing to see some of the comments here. This article is raising a good point about the prospects of the Wii U, and all people do is bitch and moan about how they don't like Call of Duty.

Whether you like the game or not (I personally got tired of it a few games ago), it's undeniably a force in modern gaming. Considering its impact on the Wii U if it does/doesn't come to the new console is an extremely relevant point, but many of the comments are simply people voicing their dislike of the series.

How about engaging in some discussion? I know it's cool to hate CoD, but come on.

(It's been a long day at work and I'm grumpy.)

Sir_Deadly

Sir_Deadly said:

@Demonic Well considering Infinity Ward has nothing to do with the Black Ops series, I am pretty sure Tryarch will make this for a Nintendo console regardless it being Wii or Wii U!!!

Silvervisiona

Silvervisiona said:

Nintendo needs to win back the core gamers it lost from the gamecube era. There are plenty of xbox and ps3 owners that are dying to own a hardcore nintendo product, and are simply waiting for it to show up. I for one love nintendo, but I have yet to buy a wii because there simply was no point. I've been waiting for a nintendo console that can provide the full gaming experience, and not a limited one. I'm going to buy the Wii U, and collect the few Wii gems that fortunately do exist, and live in delayed but inevitable fulfillment of being a nintendo fan. Wii U needs to bring in EVERY top seller to secure its dominance. I WANT the Wii U to secure its dominance! No Cod means the Wii U is not embracing the market that it needs to provide for.

scrubbyscum999

scrubbyscum999 said:

As much as I despise the FPS genre as a whole (I gave them an honest try and I just don't enjoy them), Nintendo NEEDS this game. The reasons are obvious, Nintendo needs to evolve so that they can appeal to everyone, not just dedicated people like me. Some people like COD, regardless of its merits. Nintendo needs to be aggressive in trying to attract everybody, first and foremost "hardcore" gamers. Now it might easily be all in vain since some of these people may just not buy Nintendo because they just hate the Big N but Nintendo at least has to try.

@LordJumpMad Well, that seems really immature of you. Some people may just not like COD. Some people hate RPGs, heck, some specifically hate JRPGs. Do I go and make insults just because I don't agree with them, no, I disagree and move on. Some people don't like COD, some people don't like this game, that's it. People have different tastes in games, some games are just objectively bad but generally taste has a lot to do with it. You are just going to have deal with the fact that people may not like or are interested in Black Ops II. Stop acting all high and mighty like your tastes are completely objective.

kurtasbestos

kurtasbestos said:

Man, FINALLY someone made a game where you use a gun to shoot people/things! I've been waiting forever for something like that!

...sorry, I never get tired of that joke.

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

I have never played CoD before, & I might not ever. I will look into the series, though. I'm just not too into the fps genre. W/o disagreeing, or politely, & intelligently(not mindless internet fighting) arguing w/ anyone here specifically:

1. Mario, & Zelda games can also be said to be very same in their formulas; very similar to what everyone says about CoD(& I love most Mario/Zelda games), occasionally the changes to those games are generally minor, while other times there are radical changes. There are a lot of games in different genres, that probably almost all of us here, still enjoy, despite their cookie-cutter formulas, compared to older iterations of what/e those series are.

2 Everybody does have different tastes. Obviously. Take me, for instance. It'd be extreme torture for me to put a Zumba game into my Wii (console). It'd be even worse, if I was forced to play it. & it'd be even worse yet, if I actually had to spend my money on one of those games. Yet, probably thousands, if not millions, have willingly purchased the game, w/ the intent to play it, & have followed through on that, thoroughly enjoying the game.

Since I have never played a CoD title, I won't trash it, until I've tried it, & I may then not want to. I don't want to, now though, either. I do speculate, that like a few here have already said, Nintendo would need to make this, as they would most multiplatform titles, stand-out as the version to own, & play. W/ this in mind, it would be in Nintendo's interest to, for the most part, but not always, really bend over backwards, & forwards for 3rd parties, &/to accommodate them. Nintendo should set down, round-table (w/ a mess of people), prioritize, & decide in what areas they are willing to bend, & give, for the sake of having 3rd party participation on their system, & in what areas they will simply not budge on certain issues.

For starters, I think Nintendo should alter their thinking on rules for forcing/not forcing devs to use the uniqueness of their platform. I mean, like simply tacking on genitally-flick-your-wrist controls on Wii games; that was unnecessary in many ways. If devs are gonna use tech, they should properly implement it.

Drewroxsox

Drewroxsox said:

I personally don't care for games based on war. War doesn't solve anything because when you fight one, you create another. Also, I don't like this franchisee because people die for your country, and you play the games and don't even take the time to realize that ( I bet most people who were in the army don't play this game, because they know life isn't a game ). But if it'll help the WiiU then bring on the game... I won't be purchasing it though.

The_Fox

The_Fox said:

Whenever COD is even mentioned you can tell the comments are going to be particularly asinine. The shrillness here doesn't surprise me.

janettocrossing

janettocrossing said:

That wouldn't be a bad idea. It might convince hardcore gamers that Nintendo isn't "childish" . I would buy it! :)

Captain_Hookey

Captain_Hookey said:

@HeroOfWaffles
halo is COMPLETELY different from CoD. first of all, in halo, you play as a spartan that shoots an alien race known as the covenant. in CoD Black ops II, you shoot robots. all the other games are almost exactly the same, other than the title. kill russians and thats pretty much it. not to mention, CoD ripped off battlefield. and if you REALLY want to get into it, battlefield ripped off medal of honor

Slapshot

Slapshot said:

@The_Fox ...and I think back to the Beamdog interview and see how reality hit a few people and they're like "oh yeah, well that makes sense now." :)

JimLad

JimLad said:

Yah the WiiU definately needs CoD. I wouldn't be interested personally but if Nintendo want to win back 'hardcore' gamers, this is how you do it.

hillbill26

hillbill26 said:

CoD is boss as it is, but it doesn't neccesarily "need" to be on the Wii U. It can help sales, but it reallly doesn't matter.

Chrono_Cross

Chrono_Cross said:

How is Black Ops 2 in the vein of either of those games? How is tthirteen years in the future, futuristic?

Let me break it down to you and everyone else. Let's say a FPS game on the N64 came out in 1999 and took place thirteen years in the future circa 2012. Would you call that futuristic?

Everything within BO2 is being tested in the U.S. Army. Drones, battle tanks, etc. Everything in the trailer is real as of RIGHT now. It may not be fully running and being used, but its blue prints and scientists are working as we speak on these helpful war machines. Thirteen years from now (at the most), we will see these technological advances in our country's military.

Or in other words, thirteen years is not futuristic.

How did CoD rip of Battlefield? Apart from both being WWII shooters, there is little similarity.

It's not. Battlefield is a rip off of Medal of Honor. Infinity Ward was made years ago from a bunch of ex-Medal of Honor employees.

kevohki

kevohki said:

Well it can't be as bad as Modern Expansion Pack 3 simply because Treyarch at least still tries to make decent games.

UNSOLUTEDSALT

UNSOLUTEDSALT said:

I can honestly say that as a multi-console owner, I really would appreciate a great online experience of any kind on WiiU. FPS, Adventure, RPG, and any other genre under the sun that implements an online component in any degree NEEDS to be on the WiiU. I don't care how you slice it, if the online implementation on WiiU fails, then we will just have a 1080p box of limited innovation.

WiiU needs to be the whole package and more to pass the 360/PS3. It won't be enough to just keep up with current-gen standards. Even when 720/PS4 do get announced, maybe, just maybe, the WiiU will get another bump in tech to catch up to them. DSi was a pretty big jump from the limited DSLite; just saying... it's possible...

mamp

mamp said:

@Andrewroxsox
My bro and 2 of my cousins are in the army (and they worked in war zones) and they love these games and they get together to play them, why do they love these games? Because they're games for entertainment and fun. Just like how people play real life sports games but they still love Madden. True, life may not be a game but COD is a game and I'm pretty sure a lot of people in the Army realize that since my bro tells me that the soldiers get together to play some FPS on their systems. BTW my 360 and Wii came from Iraq because that's were my bro bought them for me, so I'm pretty sure soldiers don't mind playing some military FPS. Don't pretend to be a peaceful hippie just to hide the fact that you just want to bash this game, and how dare you act like you know what soldiers think, I doubt you're a soldier (or you would have said so) so I'm pretty sure you don't know how a real soldier feels about a COD game.

A lot of these people are trolling today, TBH I hate Zelda, I REALLY HATE ZELDA!!! But I'm still mature enough to realize it's a good game there's a reason it sells and it gets the highest reviews from most game sites but just because I don't like it I don't go around saying it's the worst piece of garbage ever. Same for COD I don't like it but I see that people love it, it gets good reviews and it sells. Sure they never do much to shake up the COD formula (since people say they never do any radical changes to COD) but it's not like they do much to shake up the Zelda formula either. When I see good games like COD and Zelda I look at the facts. Just because I don't like it doesn't automatically make it garbage. (some people here need to get off their high horse)

kyuubikid213

kyuubikid213 said:

Here's the deal. If the game has Call of Duty in the title, it will come out for everything except the PSP and possibly 3DS. It will come out for PSVita (or at least CrossPlatform compatibility), 360, PS3, Wii, Wii U (eventually), cell phones, and wet napkin.

Kinioka

Kinioka said:

I have never played Cod, so i don't understand why so many people hate it.
It sells, but as stated in the article, Nintendo players usually play different things and if Cod becomes a huge seller system and a key franchise for Nintendo, I will be surprised...

Wheels2050

Wheels2050 said:

@Chrono_Cross: I haven't played any of the Medal of Honour games, but again, from my understanding I don't believe BF is a MoH ripoff. Isn't MoH a linear, infantry based, mainly single player experience? (i.e. the complete opposite of BF).

Chrono_Cross

Chrono_Cross said:

If anything is a rip off of anything, Battlefield is a rip off of Medal of Honor just as bad as Call of Duty is. But in reality what isn't a rip off?

Call of Duty was founded by ex MoH employees and their experience from the studio are reflected upon the Call of Duty games. Call of Duty 1 and 2 look a lot like Medal of Honor Rising Sun and European Assault so it should be no surprise to any of you that CoD used to look like Medal of Honor. (Now Medal of Honor sort of looks like Call of Duty with the modern, middle east setting and what not.)

But to answer your question, it depends on what Medal of Honor you play. I will say Bad Company 2 was very linear with its offline, so I don't exactly know what you're trying to say altogether.

Wheels2050

Wheels2050 said:

Well, I'd define a 'rip off' as something that replicates, with little or no modification, gameplay mechanics (and perhaps aesthetics) from another game. I'd say that's a pretty standard definition. There is a difference between ripping off something, and being influenced by it.

In that regard, at least the main series of BF is entirely different to my knowledge of what MoH is (BF is focused on multiplayer, with little or no single player to speak of. I don't know about the spinoffs though.)

As I said, I haven't played any MoH games. I've only played BF1942, BF:Vietnam and BF2. It's entirely different from any CoD game I've ever played (1, 2, MW, MW2).

Chrono_Cross

Chrono_Cross said:

I'd never call any of those rip offs of anything. But a lot of people on the internet think otherwise.

linkster55

linkster55 said:

I REALLY hope there is a 3DS release for this! If not i will be quite disappointed...

GreenDream

GreenDream said:

Call of Duty is just the next in line from Medal of Honor. It will eventually fade into the ether, only to be replaced by something new. That's what the mainstream FPS genre is all about. An alpha pack leader claims the hill, gets killed by a young upstart, the young upstart ages into the new alpha pack leader, rinse and repeat.

For me, Perfect Dark, Halo 1, and Medal of Honor: Frontline were the last great console FPS titles

Wesbert

Wesbert said:

While a release of CoD on WiiU would signal acceptance by the mainstream industry, it might turn out to be a double-edged sword. After all, nearly every CoD fan is likely to already have a PC, PS3 or Xbox360 by now (how else could they be hardcore CoD fans?), and they're unlikely to jump to WiiU when they can play the same game on their own system. Thus, the sales numbers of the WiiU version would be lowest (since it's unlikely the WiiU would draw in a new CoD fanbase larger than the already established one), which in turn might lead to some gaming sites proclaiming that once more Nintendo fails to attract the hardcore crowd, and once that bias is revived, it's just a matter of time until it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.
If there's to be a CoD version for WiiU, it must be a fully committed one that utilises the system's unique features well enough to attract even owners of other systems. Otherwise, none might even be better.

Cia

Cia said:

@LordJumpMad
Your trolling is starting to get really tiring. Also, many people in here including me, have actually played several FPS games (including COD), but simply find them unappealing.

luminalace

luminalace said:

Since World at War I have bought every single COD iteration on Wii as well as either a PS3 or Xbox 360 version too! I expect...no demand that COD: Black Ops 2 lands on Wii U or the very least on the Wii! If it does hit Wii U, I actually see me skipping the game on the other 2 HD consoles this time around!

Kirk

Kirk said:

To be the best console it can be I think Wii U needs all the high quality third party support it can get.

Black Ops 2 is one such game that should be on the Wii U system if I'm supposed to be convinced the next Nintendo console is going to see proper AAA third party support this time around.

misswliu81

misswliu81 said:

i don't care for the call of duty series; however, if sales of the game helps the wii U in the long run, then it's no bad thing.

the only FPS i care for is aliens: colonial marines. the gameplay may be a lot of like COD but the setting is really different and it sounds as if gearbox/sega is really going to make it as great and different to COD as they can. good thing it's coming to the wii U! :-)

Malic

Malic said:

This is great news for the wii u. Hate this series or love it it sells, and the more 3rd party support the better

Nightsider

Nightsider said:

How about a new Metroid game? Ya know a first person shooter that actually had thought put into it. All of the Call of Duty games have no innovation and they are all the same. If anything, they're getting worse. My friend, who plays Call of Duty, said himself that he likes MW2 and hates MW3.

Token_Girl

Token_Girl said:

If I was going to buy a console for COD, I'd already have a PS3 or 360. Why would I buy a WiiU?

RaylaxStaff

Raylax said:

@Nightsider: the prospect of CoD on Wii U does not in anyway affect the prospect of Metroid on the Wii U, nor are the respective developers in any way connected; both are capable of co-existing.

I entirely support CoD being released on Wii U, but I don't see how it will win back much of the old "core" players. The players who still use their Wii along with their PS360 are likely to pick up a Wii U for the Nintendo franchises but continue to play things like CoD on their PS360, mostly for the online. Even if the Wii U rolls out an online service that is technically equal or even superior to X-Box Live and PSN, it will still be in its infancy and for some time lack even close to the same scale of userbase. With time it may become equal, but time is what it needs and that's something that can't be programmed into a server. Nintendo's online hasn't got the greatest resumé to date either.

Existing PS360 players who have no interest in Nintendo franchises previously aren't going to be swayed over - the same game already exists on a console they own, and they'll be looking out for PS4 and X360-II to appear on the horizon. The Nintendo franchises didn't win them over previously, and they're not going to now.

The only gamers I can really see Nintendo "winning back" with this are the gamers who by and large prefer the Nintendo franchises, but like to be able to play the big third-party stuff too. It's the group who abandoned ship when Dr Kawashima's enormous disembodied head loomed over the skyline and blocked out the sun for them, casting a casual shadow over Nintendo's core gamer prospects for a generation Christ, that was a poetic adlib. Those gamers... they might be won back. But then they're equally as likely to see the Wii U as another generation-behind console, only being equal to its peers for as long as it takes for Sony and Microsoft to roll out their own next generations.

Samholy

Samholy said:

CoD ?!?!?
no way, just go battlefield full the way !!

but cod on nintendo would be a great idea, since cod aims for younger players and nintendo sells quite well for younger audience.

Mercury9

Mercury9 said:

Call of Duty is awful. It went stale years ago. Give it a rest Activision/Treyarch :P Milk that cow anymore and you'll start getting cheese....moldy stinking cheese. Oh, wait...

Gilius

Gilius said:

I hate the Black ops series. It always sucked in my opinion. World at War is much better Modern Warfare and World at War is much better.
((Classic Zombies ftw.))

PikanRikan

PikanRikan said:

Does anybody remember how a certain Nintendo console helped begin the console FPS craze? (Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Turok). Fast forward over a decade and now it's quite the opposite.

Despite how you feel about FPS and COD, Nintendo needs these games in order to stay competitive. Otherwise, it becomes a niche console that only hardcore-Nintendo fans want to buy. That is good and all for us Big N fans, but for Nintendo to thrive as a business, it needs broad support and a wider audience. Wii won the casual/non-gamer audience but as a long-term strategy in video gaming, that doesn't work. A casual might like playing Wii Sports, but they won't suddenly become gamers buying multiple games and sequels.

The WiiU needs to win back the hardcore gamers with COD, Battlefield, AND Mario. I want both worlds: I want a Nintendo console that has great 3rd party support so I can compete head-on with the other consoles AND I want to play great Nintendo exclusives. I want choices. That to me is a winning formula.

Yes, I do play MW3 on the Wii and I enjoy it...there's actually quite an active community in this game. You can be a Nintendo loyal and play COD...they can co-exist.

Mercury9

Mercury9 said:

Decent COD was history related. It made for emotional, powerful gameplay (sometimes) that would actually make you somewhat interested in what you were doing and not just crunching and logging the numbers. Blops just felt like some random copy and paste genero-shooter and I believe Blops II will follow that template but as mentioned far above, this nonsense sells and will therefore sell Wii U's. This is good.

Drewroxsox

Drewroxsox said:

@mamp 1. I'm not a troll or a hippie (despising war doesn't make you one)
2. I didn't bash this game, I just said it isn't for me.
3. I simply made an inference about soilders, just like you did about me liking Zelda.
4. I never said this game was garbage, to some people it's gold that once again, isn't for me.
5. Just to annoy you.... World peace....love......blah blah blah XD lol
Have a nice day...... Peace!!!!! < see what I did there ;)

Chris720

Chris720 said:

@TBD #74 Yeah well... his trolling has got to the point where I have to avoid his posts at all times. It was funny last year but now it's just down right annoying, you say you don't want trolls but yet you have the biggest one here... what kind of bs is that?!

Sir_Deadly

Sir_Deadly said:

@Chrono_Cross People would kno this, if they had gone on the COD youtube channel and see that they explain that they themselves said its not soo futuristic. I already new that all that stuff thats on BO2 is in development. I am just glad they have a COD game thats up to date on the military. MW3 wasnt even up to date on how advanced the military technology was.

Sir_Deadly

Sir_Deadly said:

@Demonic they have a couple of others ones who claim there nintendo fans but really, all signs point to Sony fanboy for one of them.

RPGShaymin

RPGShaymin said:

That "officially launched" trailer was a fake!
This is the real one.

I have to say, this game looks to be the most different FPS that I've ever seen.

siavm

siavm said:

Call of duty changes nothing but destroys everything. It is coming to a nintendo console or handheld like it has for the past few years. This series needs a cool down. The wii u needs actually games that will use the touch screen like the A button, not a one trick pony game that will barely use the wii u.

TheGreenSpiny

TheGreenSpiny said:

I see we're back to the old Nintendo 3rd party conundrum. Truth be told this game won't make a damn bit of difference for the Wii U. People who are into COD already have Xbox/PS to play the game on. They are not gonna jump ship or buy the Wii U version. You'd have pry their sweaty Dual Shock/ Xbox controller from their dead hands before they ever touched a Wii U tablet. The only way to get the "hardcore" back to Nintendo is with Wii U exclusives that can't be played on any other systems. Something like an Eternal Darkness sequel, or an extremely polished sequel to Geist that delivers on the promise that the first game had. Some form of killer app that only Nintendo can, or some third party is willing to provide.

Third party support is great and all, but I have a feeling the Wii U is going to end up like the 'Cube with 3rd party AAA titles massively underselling.

Edwrd

Edwrd said:

If its true, having BlackOps 2 on WiiU means they ported the IW game engine (proprietary Infinity Ward) to work on this new platform, this could also mean more Call Of Duty games incoming to the platform.

And since there is a touch screen, maybe some iOS games will get ported? Angry Birds (groan, enough of that!), Infinity Blaaaade?? Even comic book platforms like Dark Horse, Marvel, DC comics could sell their comics, its an app that utilizes in game purchases which Nintendo supports now, comic purchase history are stored on the user account on the publisher's side so it doesn't have to be tied to the WiiU only.

TheDreamingHawk

TheDreamingHawk said:

The only thing this game will do to me if it comes to wii U will be leaving me open to being bullied because I hate this series so much.

And the fact that I will Smash them using my Mario BackPack.:D

Seriously, haven't they abused the COD series long enough? It's a good series when it's multiplayer, but adding all sorts of sprinkles and unneeded stuff to the series is what's making it just plain terrible. I'll Take a game like assassin's Creed III over this (Even though I'm not really that Interested in the Wii U yet.)