Wii U System Update 5.1.2 Takes Stability to Another Level

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Stability to make your head spin

Nintendo loves its system updates for the Wii U, with regular notifications telling us that our shiny systems are ready to go to the next level. The next level of stability.

That's right, firmware fans! Nintendo has released another system update promising more stability and mysterious improvements to our user experience. All the hot information from Nintendo's official changelog is below.

As we've alluded to in the past, we loosely translate this as "fixing a few minor bugs and locking off potential hacking exploits", but that's nothing to complain about. We also love stability here at Nintendo Life.

Are you excited by how stable your Wii U has now become, and how enhanced that user experience feels? Let us know.

Pahvi

Pahvi said:

I downloaded my free MK8 game (WWHD) last week or so, and during the process I think the console froze itself for a moment. Or at least it let out that buzzer sound, before eventually resuming operations. Dunno if it was the eShop I had open at the time as well. Still, there was still unstability left, and maybe there still is.

I'm still hoping for the user interface enhancements to someday include Gamepad support for the Wii mode... pipe dream for sure. Especially with Mario running about everywhere.

GMo4824

GMo4824 said:

Maybe adding stability for online games? or already preparing the system for Smash Brothers

Omarsonic9

Omarsonic9 said:

I felt that my Wii U was more stable. It's suddenly able to play 4K games at 60 frames per second. Oh my stability!

Drawdler

Drawdler said:

Forget about the stability already, we have enough. I want to hear more about those minor adjustments.

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

Guys, if we keep making stability jokes they'll tell us for sure that nothing really changed :P

But it is frustrating as I'd like to know if the hard drive issues 5.0 introduced have been fixed or any useful enhancements (like that time when LAN connections got a speed boost).

Pahvi

Pahvi said:

@NauticalCrimes Re: Gamepad in Wii mode: other than displaying a copy of the TV screen and functioning as a second sensor bar - not to my knowledge? The buttons etc cannot be used in Wii mode. The TV remote feature does work, though, even in the Wii mode. That was a fun surprise.

NauticalCrimes

NauticalCrimes said:

@Pahvi if you're hoping for the buttons to start working in place of a wiimote I suspect you'll be waiting indefinitely. Something like that would mean configuring the pad on a per-game basis and that's not something nintendo would do, I don't think.

S3OL

S3OL said:

All I want is for my console to stop crashing everytime I want to post something on Facebook. It's a bugger if I haven't saved my game prior because I never know when it'll happen.

Pahvi

Pahvi said:

@NauticalCrimes Like I said, a pipe dream :) Although not for the game-by-game basis reasoning, since I'd see the Gamepad acting like a Classic Controller plugged into a Wiimote not pointing at the screen (the cursor in the menus can be moved with the Controller sticks). Then again, the Wii mode should hardly be their focus.

PALgamer

PALgamer said:

@NauticalCrimes You know they could map the Gamepad controls to be like the Classic Controller. Then every CC supported game could be playable offscreen.
@Pahvi The IR could be replaced with the touchscreen.

Nintendo can do it, but obviously prefers if you buy the WiiU titles to have this interaction. (VC for example)

maneauleau

maneauleau said:

Let's see if that one finally fixes Lego Marvel death freezes. Unless this update has just been released to fix Hyrule Warriors freeze ?

NauticalCrimes

NauticalCrimes said:

@Pahvi @PALgamer OK, I see how they could do it. I still think it's too much work for too few games. Other than MH3 (which we can already play in wiiu) what are the good CC/PRO supported games on wii?

Prizm

Prizm said:

If I could +1 people's comments on this site, I'd visit it more often!

Pahvi

Pahvi said:

@NauticalCrimes Good games that support classic controller on Wii... how about all Virtual Console games, Xenoblade Chronicles, Sakura Wars, Sonic Colours, Rune Factory Frontier, Sonic Unleashed — did I mention Xenoblade Chronicles and all Virtual Console games? :)

AdanVC

AdanVC said:

I can't handle all of this stability, guys! It's too much! #WiiUStable4ever

Chaos_Eevee

Chaos_Eevee said:

I wish they would release an update that lets me actually play Game and Wario. Ever since I got it as my Club Nintendo Reward it says a USB device problem (even though every single other game on my external plays fine) and I can't even uninstall it to try to reinstall. I really feel ripped off.

Big_L91

Big_L91 said:

personally, as an early adopter who experienced the horn of death crash constantly. i welcome added stability.

AlexOlneyStaff

AlexOlney said:

Guys, think twice before downloading this update, I just did and this happened:
Untitled

AcesHigh73

AcesHigh73 said:

@Pahvi — yeah, GamePad support for Wii mode would be absolutely awesome! Doubt it'll ever happen though :-( Folders would be another nice UI update, but still, I love me some stability!

Kirk

Kirk said:

"Further improvements to overall system stability and other minor adjustments have been made to enhance the user experience."

Love off, Nintendo, and actually give us something worthwhile in some of these updates for once...

There's SOOO much you could add and improve to actually make the Wii U a far more compelling and satisfying entertainment console all-round but No; all we get is more and more "stability".

Kirk

Kirk said:

@Prizm

I don't want that kind of silly favouritism crap on this site, thank you very much. I get enough of that forced social and behavioural conditioning silly on virtually every other site as it is. No good actually comes of it in the slightest. All it does is make some people feel like second class citizens when their posts get pushed to the bottom as some random, who only says what everyone wants to hear, gets voted to the top.

Let's just leave it the way it is and give everyone an EQUAL chance to have their comments viewed without only the suck-up jerks rising to the top.

BertoFlyingFox

BertoFlyingFox said:

Gotsta love that stability. You know what would make this system infinitely more stable? Folders that we could organize our growing library with.

DarkNinja9

DarkNinja9 said:

man my wii u so stable it makes toast on the side while im browsing miiverse!

but ok getting on to more serious note i agree we could use more updates on other stuff personally i need more updates on miiverse it got slow again mostly on loading stuff... like my activity feed!! -_- since the longest idk why we dont get more updates there....anyway continue on with the jokes! :D

Gamercake

Gamercake said:

Nintendo, give us new features with these updates!!! We want folders, better online support and us folk in Europe are STILL waiting for Nintendo TVii!

Porky

Porky said:

Are some of you not aware that this isn't the offical Nintendo website to be requesting such things? Lol.

ikki5

ikki5 said:

hopefully this will fix the occasional logo screen freeze. Or whatever it was. Ever since the last update, I found my Wii U just get stuck on the Wii U logo screen when I would use the quick start but never when I load right into the main menu. Because of that, I totally stopped using the quick start.

Mega719

Mega719 said:

Can we please stop hearing about this? There's plenty of other Nintendo related news i read on other sites that's not here

GN004Nadleeh

GN004Nadleeh said:

they spend more time with pirates then they do pleasing their customers. will there ever be any new features added with an update?

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

@Mega719 I'm sorry that reporting a system update to Nintendo hardware with a bit of humour isn't your thing. We do things our way and other sites likewise, and we'll post content that fits our style.

We can't do any more than that.

Prizm

Prizm said:

@Kirk What an overreaction. And it sounds like you're whinging about something that I never suggested. I said nothing about votes causing comments to change position. That's a different feature.

Mega719

Mega719 said:

@ThomasBW84 i'm sorry i understand the humor but when i hear a headline for a article about a new update i'll assume it's a patch for new features

Genesaur

Genesaur said:

Odd. I don't have the automatic updating thing enabled, yet when I tried to update the software, it said I was already up-to-date.

NextChannelGame

NextChannelGame said:

I just notice that these updates are not letting me play Batman Arkham City & Scribble Nauts Unlimited on my Wii U. I don't know why but it is not letting me play them since the last update.

WaLzgiStaff

WaLzgi said:

@Kirk: So Nintendo should stop releasing small updates that fix bugs and hackers? Is that what you're suggesting?

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

@unrandomsam Not really sure but some people started having problems they were not having before. I think for some people quick start won't work at all for games (the menu loads fine but loading the game won't work) or weird issues where some games do work but others do not for no reason. Maybe the Game & Wario problem @Chaos_Eevee is having is related.

Shambo

Shambo said:

Another stability joke: I was feeling like fainting with the level of stability reached, but I can't seem to fall over when in the presence of my Wii U.

Darknyht

Darknyht said:

I am glad for the stability update because my Wii U kept falling down after losing it's balance. I was starting to think I was going to have to invest in a walker for it.

Ootfan98

Ootfan98 said:

This must be the stability update prior to the late announcement of N64 VC update this week

SirQuincealot

SirQuincealot said:

I've figured it out, the new updates are just the new levels for the people playing the meta game of trying to hack the consoles, Nintendo has to think about all there fans after all.

Kirk

Kirk said:

@Prizm

They would most likely do that by default, as that's generally the point in having a "Like" system in these comments sections in the first place?

@WaLzgi

Or maybe lump a few of them together as a well as add in something a bit more meaningful along with the "stability" too.

tovare

tovare said:

@AcesHigh73 Yes, gamepad support in wii mode would be great ... it's currently impossible to start a wii game when the Wiimote is inside the Guitar Hero or DJ Hero controller because you have to point at the screen.

ledreppe

ledreppe said:

Yet my Wii U still crashes with a USB HDD error message?! Go figure, Nintendo!

QuickSilver88

QuickSilver88 said:

@Pahvi Add to that The Last Story and 007 which are both top flight games. I would replay xeno tomorrow if I could use offTV to work thru it. I am sure Nintendo could do this if they wanted to.

ledreppe

ledreppe said:

@Starwolf_UK I'm still getting HDD errors with 5.1.2, even though Nintendo did 'hardware repairs' to my Wii U to correct the problem and 5.1.1 was supposed to address the issue with firmware fixes also.

Drawdler

Drawdler said:

@Big_L91 I was and would too, but I still have those issues when connecting to the internet, and whenever I do try to update the console disconnects...

@Mega719 @The_Ninja I guess you could say Mega719 needs to hold their horses. YEAAAAAAHH

DarkNinja9

DarkNinja9 said:

my wii u was starting to go on some serious mood swings that it needs more stability especially after those wii u doom gloom articles :P

#stabilityoverload

Gameday

Gameday said:

I need to try out wii sports club golf online again and see if anything has changed.

ThumperUK

ThumperUK said:

When of when is Nintendo going to introduce folders into a System Update?? My system is getting really cluttered.
Even the 3DS got this (although not being able to properly name them irks)

Gonzo1

Gonzo1 said:

Since this update my WiiU has been the total opposite of stable :(
Doesn't load from quick menu, tiles from some digital downloads don't show up and it constantly crashes so have to result in pulling the plug to get it going again :(

kercheng