Expect a 'Shocking' New Pokémon Project on 26th August

Posted by Alex Olney

Watch it live on Niconico

In the midst of the hype and stream of speculation over Pokémon Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire, The Pokémon Company has only fed the fire by announcing that its fans should expect a 'shocking' new project next week.

Given that specific use of the word 'shocking' it would not perhaps be too presumptuous to assume that the franchise's flagship monster Pikachu is involved in some way. The yellow peril has played host to a number of games in the past such as Hey You, Pikachu on the N64, Pokémon Channel on the GameCube, and even its own virtual pet console, the aptly named Pokémon Pikachu.

Another possibility is that it may finally be the announcement of a supposed Wii U game that was shown at the end of a video that showed the time line of all main series Pokémon games to promote Pokémon X & Y. Little is known about the game, but the name 'Pokkén Fighters' was trademarked last year causing many fans to reach the conclusion that it is a fighting game for the Wii U with Pokémon as its theme. Of course there's no guarantee that the development will even be a game given Pokémon's numerous other formats.

The announcement will be made available to view on Niconico at 6am Pacific / 9am Eastern / 2pm UK and 3pm CET — 26th August — on this page where hopefully many of these questions will be answered.

Are you excited for this latest development?

[via vg247.com]

Serebii

Serebii said:

To be fair, the use of shocking is only a pun in our language. In Japanese, there is no pun.

PvtOttobot

PvtOttobot said:

Pokemon Oil Ruby and Natural Gas Sapphire confirmed!!
Untitled
Untitled
Anyone remember that? xD (I made these^^^ btw)

RainbowGazelle

RainbowGazelle said:

Okay, I'm confused. Here, the announcement is meant to be coming on 24th of August, but Go Nintendo are reporting it as 26th of August. Which is it?

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

@AlexOlney You were right first time, the Nico page says 6am Japanese time on 25th August, which is 24th August at 5pm eastern, 10pm UK.

GamerZack87

GamerZack87 said:

"The yellow peril has played host to a number of games in the past such as Hey You, Pikachu on the N64, Pokémon Channel on the GameCube, and even its own virtual pet console, the aptly named Pokémon Pikachu."

@AlexOlney But aren't all those examples v-pets anyway? ;)

AlexOlneyStaff

AlexOlney said:

@GamerZack7 A good point! You could even go so far as to argue that Pokémon Channel was barely even a game!

@AndyWARbear We simply don't know, we'll simply have to wait and see what they tell us.

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

Actually it is 26th August, that Niconico page is showing a completely different day and time to the Pokemon site. Let's go with what the Pokemon site says...

BensonUii

BensonUii said:

Shocking? Pokemon game coming Holiday 2015 exclusive to Xbox One. Oh wait... They meant timed exclusive. :p

KeeperBvK

KeeperBvK said:

@Serebii So which "shocking" is it then in this context? Is it the one involving electricity or the one involving surprise?

Punished_Boss

Punished_Boss said:

Pokemon MMO for Wii U? Probably not. I'd be shocked. Something to do with Pikachu probably or a team of "shocking" Pokemon?

DarkNinja9

DarkNinja9 said:

eh not getting any hopes ups like last time it was just some random lame thing .-. and we all were in hype train mode

but if you want some hype maybe pikachu getting a mega along with those new costumes? xD nah....

Sylvester

Sylvester said:

I really hope its that fighting game, I'm about to get a wii U soon so this would be really awesome :)

TheWPCTraveler

TheWPCTraveler said:

Since the announcement plays host to voice actors as well, I'm betting it's a new anime. It doesn't make sense to release any fighters any time soon thanks to Smash.

SphericalCrusher

SphericalCrusher said:

Realistically, this is probably something simple, but I am going to hope for Pokemon Stadium on WiiU, Pokemon Snap on WiiU or 3DS, or some other type of game like that. Can't blame me for hoping! Outside of this, I really don't know.

rjejr

rjejr said:

Pokepark 3: Pikachus Shocking Adventure launching with 700 Pokemon amiibo.

Or a Pokemon breakfast cereal with sparkly minty Pickachu marshmallows.

Retro_on_theGo

Retro_on_theGo said:

Probably the stupid detective Pikachu game. :/ But we already know about it though so I hope not. PLEASE BE POKKEN FIGHTERS COME ON!

Yosher

Yosher said:

So long as this doesn't end up being an announcement of Pokémon going multiplatform/mobile (aside from that trading card game) I'm fine with whatever the announcement is!

MysticX

MysticX said:

Either Pokémon snap 2 (Because that game was really fun), or something pokémon-related on mobile (Just to see people here completely flip their lid :3 )

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

Whatever it is, I hope it's a major Wii U project. Pokkén Fighters would be pretty massive. A new Pokémon Snap utilising the gamepad would be cool as well.

Mk_II

Mk_II said:

Pokemon Snap U would make a lot of sense. The touchpad controller is made for a game like that and it would probably draw in a lot of younger players to the platform.

Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano said:

It'll probably be either Pokken Fighters or Pokémon Snap U. The latter would probably end up the biggest selling Wii U game of all time! :P

Mega719

Mega719 said:

What about that detective game starring Pikachu? We haven't known much about that game either

Tops

Tops said:

I agree with everyone saying Detective Pikachu. That was my first though as well. I do want to learn more about it because what we've been shown so far has only left me scared and confused with that creepy evil Pikachu.

xerneas

xerneas said:

I hope it's not ANYTHING ABOUT PIKACHU. I effing hate pikachu and Pokemon company for using it EVERYWHERE... Guys you have over 700 Pokemon, please stop using pikachu only

yuwarite

yuwarite said:

Pokémon U; HD Wii U exclusive, 3rd pillar to X and Y. Wouldn't break success of handheld versions, and more importantly ramp up sales of the Wii U.

Stomatopod17

Stomatopod17 said:

@Mega719 I don't think that's the issue.. battle revolution connected with the handheld systems which kinda improved sales a little bit inorder to get more pokemon on the game and such.

I just think they're put in a bad position with what they did with x/y.. I mean picture it..

Picture aegislash in battle revolution.. and picture mega evolution. It just would seem odd..

In battle revolution they reused the same models from pokemon stadium even, then from the NGC games, on the Wii U there is no way reusing all the models from past gens, on an HD console, with more well developed gen 6 pokemon, would look good at all. The 3ds systems get away with it because of how fast everything is. Aegislash, if he was stancing changing in battle revolution it'd take him 5 whole seconds or more as everything was very calm and laid back animation wise.

There's just too much involvement they might as well make a pokemon Z instead.

VIIIAxel

VIIIAxel said:

I'm personally betting on the Detective game. I'd love to be proven wrong, though!

rdrunner1178

rdrunner1178 said:

@Mega719 Yeah I was just teasing. But I don't think a remake on Wii-U would do any damage to sales of the new entries coming out on 3DS. Not too mention it would go a long way into getting more attention to the Wii-U. But hopefully we'll at least get a Pokemon Snap or Colosseum/Stadium.

BigDaddysPizza

BigDaddysPizza said:

Methinks it's going to be Pikachu Detective game. That should be interesting, and it would definitely be the definition of "shocking".

Neferupitou

Neferupitou said:

Yeah, no one gives a crap about a fighting pokemon game! boost the sales with Pokemon game like XD!!

BlackHearted1

BlackHearted1 said:

I would not get my hopes up for anything cool. As for people who mentioned a Pokemon Snap sequel i would doubt it I read an article about how they probably won't make a sequel, they made it at the time because how cameras where not common house hold items and it would seem really cool, but now that everyone has cameras it wouldn't be special.

Warruz

Warruz said:

Personally, I want a new Pokemon Pinball. I have so many fond memories of that game I would love to see another one.

crimsontadpoles

crimsontadpoles said:

I'm hoping that it will be something new and imaginative that will take everyone by surprise. However, Colosseum or XD remakes would also be great.

Plucky

Plucky said:

Guessing it's either Pokemon Conquest 2, slight information about the Pokemon Detective Game where it states that the Blue Pikachu is evil because it's a solid Hologram developed by the remains of Team Flare. Malva probably kidnaps Clemont in the real-life attempt to salvage the Anime/Game canon to a reasonable sidegrade without ruining plot of either. (people don't expect Clemont would leave in the anime would they? they changed the gym order in DPPla and BW. Fantina was shuffled forwards and i think Roxie was powered up)

Basically, the first time where a spinoff game is canon to a main game, maybe just by being a side story of Mimi's detective bureau.

Who knows, it could be something as small as another Pikachu game, or something large but not to the main games, like Mewtwo in smash. little bit inside me wants it to be an Etrian Odyssey x Pokemon game, heck even Monster Hunter x Pokemon.

malleck666

malleck666 said:

Calling it now. Amiibo Pokemon figures for Smash Bros. Using one unlocks the Lumiose City stage as shown in the header image.

Terry93D

Terry93D said:

Completely random guess: A new Pokemon Ranger game. Except for Wii U. And compatible with Amiibo. With multi-player over Internet. And new Pokemon. And three new regions. And transfer capability with OR/AS.

Ichiban

Ichiban said:

I'd be shocked if they took a break from releasing the same game twice year after year

whanvee

whanvee said:

The pokemon company has been able to genetically create a Pikachu and will begin selling them as a self sufficient energy source. Fudge solar energy.

Trikeboy

Trikeboy said:

I hope it's pokemon snap 2 but it will either be Pokken Fighters or TCG for iOS.

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

@Porky Serebii is the creator of the Pokémon information database Serebii.net. Almost everything he does is either for his site or Pokémon communities.

Porky

Porky said:

@Kaze_Memaryu Are you sure it's that person or an imposter/fan who just named himself that because he really likes that site lol. If it is him/her, then is that a profile for use of any representatives of that site and has a personal account who can comment other than Pokemon? Man, I would be so burnt out on pokemon if i was one sole rep for a site dedicated to it! XD. I would ask him/her, but he has not answered back and you seem to know a lot about it.. Hmm are you really Serebii on your personal account? XD

Luffymcduck

Luffymcduck said:

I want a new Stadium game for Wii U now that I finally have a good team. I played Colosseum one day and my team sucked. I want to use my Gen5-on fighters!