E3 2014: Wii U eShop Version of Bayonetta 2 Does Not Come with the First Game

Posted by Martin Watts

Two-player online multiplayer also confirmed

A small disclaimer found at the bottom of the Bayonetta 2 official website has revealed that the Nintendo eShop version of the game will not include the Wii U port of the original title that was released back in 2010.

Before you reach for your pitchforks, it's worth noting that the text may simply be referring to the fact that it is not included within the same download and could, therefore, be available via a separate code.

In other news, the site also details a two-player Tag Climax mode, in which you can team up with another player online to defeat enemies.

Bayonetta 2 will arrive on Wii U in October later this year.

[via bayonetta2.nintendo.com]

smikey

smikey said:

Hardly surprising really I'd never buy Digital anyway but didn't they say it was limited edition that included the first game?
saw the video a while back can't quite remember.
wouldn't be surprised if there were 2 retail editions one with both one with just 2.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

I want the eShop version so I hope it's a seperate download code, otherwise there's literally no point to buying B2 on eShop as you're getting ripped off big time.

Emblem

Emblem said:

Disk all the way for me in anycase have you seen the cover art? Beautiful.

ACK

ACK said:

Nintendo wants us buying retail, ensuring future shelf space. Bayonetta 2 may draw a crowd they would love to be perusing the Nintendo aisle. Those retail relations have been historically pivotal to Nintendo and they have been doing their part to maintain them.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

Just wait till MAB sees this.

No bother for me as I want both so I'll go retail for it.

Phantom_R

Phantom_R said:

Including the entire first game for free--and on the same disc!--makes this package MUCH more appealing, especially considering that so few of us have played the original.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

Also very smart move including the original as it just upped the anti for those on the fence! Was considering this not I'm sold. Nice pleasant surprise form them today for sure.

Oh and yes I can see this game move a few systems. Those hardcore fans that want more will buy as it will be too difficult not to pass up!

C-Olimar

C-Olimar said:

So happy.
I may not have bought Bayo 2 (though tbf Nintendo's line up for the rest of the year is so pathetic I would have had to) but two games in one is great value. Looking forward to it!

shigulicious

shigulicious said:

Physical copy of both Bayonetta 1+2, plus costumes is second best news so far for me. Star Fox wins the crown.

FritzFrapp

FritzFrapp said:

According to the press kit, 'Bayonetta comes packed in with the purchase of every retail packaged version of Bayonetta 2.'

Was getting a physical copy anyway, so makes no difference to me, but I trust there'll be a solution for downloaders.

erv

erv said:

I hope it'll be something like a free code for the eshop version...

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

@Peach64 If it's considered a free game I doubt the eshop version will be cheaper. Not like the retail.version will cost more, at least I hope not

burninmylight

burninmylight said:

I'm just so glad they're throwing in the first game for free. I would have been stoked if they would have announced Bayonetta was coming to the eShop at certain price point, so to include it for free floored me.

The fact that someone took the time to port the original to the Wii U at all means they should also make it available on the eShop as well, to help make the effort more worthwhile. I'd imagine downloading Bayo2 will get you a code for the free download of 1 if they were to do just that.

Spakiness

Spakiness said:

Would be cool if Bayonetta 1 would be released in the mean time while we wait for 2. Though that is probably asking for to much.

rjejr

rjejr said:

I probably would have just rented this like I rented the 1st on PS3 but owning both games on 1 disc on Wii U makes it a purchase.

Melkac

Melkac said:

@smikey There was nothing about a "special edition" on the trailer. I think all retail versions will include the first game.

TruenoGT

TruenoGT said:

Maybe this'll join Nintendoland as my only disc-based game, but I hope not. Fingers crossed.

DESS-M-8

DESS-M-8 said:

As long as they are priced to equate getting both is roughly the same as retail I don't mind but I'm digital only so I need some promotion if retail is getting one

millarrp

millarrp said:

I plan to get it as retail anyways, but hopefully Nintendo will either offer it as a separate code or offer a discounted eStore price.

Sir_JBizzle

Sir_JBizzle said:

BOOO! Between this and the Smash bundle, Nintendo is chipping away at my all digital initiative! Hopefully it is available as a separate download!

Marshi

Marshi said:

I reckon the reason is bayo 1 is coming to e shop earlier (at a cheap price I hope) as a seperate download

KingofSaiyans

KingofSaiyans said:

Hopefully they change their mind and offer both games for the people who opt in for digital copies.

2Sang

2Sang said:

Welp, guess nobody is going to be getting the downloadable version then. You would have to be a moran if you are going to pay the same price for 2 games vs. 1, especially considering that a good number of people here haven't even played the original.

Warruz

Warruz said:

@Spoony_Tech Right and they need to play up that fact to bring new people into the series which since Bayonetta is not originally on Nintendo it's a must!

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

There's no way the first game will be a disc-only release - Nintendo isn't that stupid.

Mega719

Mega719 said:

I'm fine with physical copy this would probably just be a separate download

Tritonus

Tritonus said:

Hmm.. I've almost gone exclusively digital, except if I get a good offer - I hope they will offer Beyonetta 1 on the eShop still... Anyways, will just go for the physical disc if not.

therick112

therick112 said:

I'll put the pitchfork away for now, but it is at the ready. If Bayonetta 1 is not offered on the eShop I will have to break my vow of never purchasing a physical copy of a Wii U game.

Link-Hero

Link-Hero said:

So what will the price be for the digital version of Bayonetta 1? Hopefully cheaper then $40. I can't really see it being cheaper then $20, but Nintendo/Platinum Games might surprise me.

Drac_Mazoku

Drac_Mazoku said:

Wow, so many physical-elitist around here. Do you all feel proud to say "I don't care, I'm getting the physical copy" (almost half of the comments until I just gave up reading them). If they don't offer the game digitally too, it's stupid no matter if you buy it physically or not. I DO care about NOT having the game on my HDD personally.

SetupDisk

SetupDisk said:

Well that sucks ***. Better be a separate eshop download as I haven't bought a physical game for Wii U since Wii party and that was for the free remote.

SetupDisk

SetupDisk said:

Maybe something can be found out about this during E3. I have it on PS3 but the Xbox 360 version is apparently much better.

Iggly

Iggly said:

I'd love to get Bayonetta 2, but I doubt I'll be able to get the game because of my mom despite there being way more violent games out there compared to Bayonetta.

burninmylight

burninmylight said:

Sounds like everyone who visits this site has sworn allegiance to one side in the digital vs. physical war. Am I the only person around here who decides how to acquire games on a case by case basis? Feels like it.

bngrybt

bngrybt said:

Having the first game might be what pushes me into buying it. I never played the first game before and I wouldn't want to feel left in the dark going into the second. Really smart move.

Excep7ional

Excep7ional said:

I'm glad they are doing this. I never played the first game so now I have a chance to play them back to back. Awesome.

Williaint

Williaint said:

Well, I haven't bought a physical version for a while, so... It's probably worth it.

ultraraichu

ultraraichu said:

Cool news. Even though I never played the 1st one, I'll still get this game even if it wasn't planned. After all it wouldn't be the first game (especially Wii U) I never played the prequel(s) to.

With that said, I am looking forward to playing the 1st Bayonetta. Quite optimistic on a digital bundle ish thing.

AshFoxX

AshFoxX said:

If they are planning on not inclusing the first game on eShop, here is my proposal... In North America, as I know how they are priced here because, erm, i live here.

Retail: $59.99
eShop B2: $39.99
eShop B1: $19.99

Problem solved.

NodesforNoids

NodesforNoids said:

The game wouldn't be priced 40$ on the eShop just to placate the digital crowd. I see the retail version going for 65$ (like MK8) and the eShop version for 50$. I can find the first game for 10$ or less ANYWHERE. It's a better deal than just getting one game, but Nintendo wants to emphasize retail relations so that stores advertise all those big games, free them up some prime shelf space and realize there is a difference between Wii and Wii U.

NodesforNoids

NodesforNoids said:

As an unrelated aside, I sure am glad I spent most of my Wii U gaming money on the digital frontier. No need to back things up as I've got it on an external HDD. Will really help with our move later this month. Gaming and entertainment room? Full size arcade cabinet? New desktop PC? She gets her garden, our son gets his playroom and I can't wait!

Tsurii897

Tsurii897 said:

@unrandomsam You hate God of War? gtfo!
Nah, joking ;)

Did you play W101? Bayonetta is a bit like that imo. You just have to replace the unite morphs with a crapton of more combos. It's pretty engaging and the combo system was pretty complex too (IMO), but I guess, you have to be into that kind of game to really enjoy it. Just like with pretty much everything else Kamiya/Platinum makes.

GearsOfWarU

GearsOfWarU said:

Day 1 Physical Copy Purchase .... Looks Amazing & you get Bayonetta 1 for free Awesome!!!!!

Genesaur

Genesaur said:

Hardly matters, as, like most others it would seem, I'm buying the disc copy.

Tritonus

Tritonus said:

@burninmylight I usually go for digital just because I find it more convenient not to have a bunch of physical discs lying around - also makes your Wii U that much more portable! But, if there's a good deal on a physical game I'm not gonna hold back. Plus, physical discs you can lend to your family and friends.

Both formats have their advantages, but for me personally, digital wins out.

It's also a matter of the fact that Nintendo is not doing so well in Denmark where I currently reside, and I've gotten sick of going to a store only to find out that they don't have the games because I happen to live in PlayStation land. The eShop doesn't have that problem.

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

The NOE page implies the Bayonetta 1 version is a seperate package (special edition) though that may be due to the first game having a different PEGI rating (was revised to 18 after release).

I'm guessing it is like Sonic Deadly six edition but given how much of a deal they made about it there feels like there is more to this story.

DrkBndr

DrkBndr said:

@Frapp Actually, us Europeans have to buy the more expensive special edition of Bayonetta 2 to get Bayonetta 1, according to the trailer on the eShop and the european version of the Digital Event, so it doesn't make a lot of difference over here...