E3 2014: Nintendo Confirms New 'Retro' GameCube Controller and Adapter Pricing

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Special Super Smash Bros. bundle to also launch

Following its Digital Event at E3, Nintendo has released additional details into the wild, with exciting news for Super Smash Bros. fans with a love for the GameCube controls.

Nintendo revealed the GameCube Controller Adapter for Wii U just recently, and has now also announced that it'll arrive (with the Wii U Smash title) at a recommended retail price of $19.99 — it will support WaveBird controllers. In addition, there's also confirmation of a "retro Nintendo GameCube controller" which'll have special Smash markings and a price of $29.99 — as we speculated previously this is likely that controller shown in the promotional shots for the adapter; tellingly, the word 'wireless' is not used once when referencing this new GameCube pad.

If you want the full set, meanwhile, there'll be a special bundle that includes the Wii U game, adapter and new controller for $99.99, which is a $10 saving over the separate products — Smash Bros. will have a recommended price of $59.99.

Are you excited by this news, and ready to put down the cash in the Holiday season?

Samus06

Samus06 said:

Very excited by this! I will be picking up one of those new Gamecube controllers for sure even though I already have a bunch of Gamecube controllers. I only hope that the adapter works with the virtual console so I can play future N64 or Gamecube VC games with a Gamecube controller.

brewsky

brewsky said:

Give me GameCube Virtual Console and I will pick this up in a heart beat.

Heiki

Heiki said:

I always wanted a GameCube controller, actually. I wonder if it will work on Wii Mode.

Stubborn_Monkey

Stubborn_Monkey said:

Now, the question is: Are Gamecube games coming to the VC? Or is that flaming Smash logo a sign that it will only serve to make players feel like it's still 2001?

Yellowtails

Yellowtails said:

This adapter and the controller is awesome, as well as the price. Now if they make n64 and gamecube available on VC (I have nearly no doubt that gamecube games can make it on the VC, N64 can definitely make it) this adapter will be even more awesome.

WesCash

WesCash said:

So is this new GC controller going to be usable with original GCs and Wiis? I'm hoping yes. It's near impossible to find 1st party GC controllers in good condition nowadays.

PeterW77

PeterW77 said:

Does this mean that future racing games will be able to make use of the new Gamecubes analogue triggers?

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

I'm pumped to buy a controller! I still play Gamecube games on my Wii when I can so having another first party gamecube controller is very welcome! I'll get the adapter too for funnies :D

bofis

bofis said:

Ugh, I loved GameCube controllers as much as anyone, but I really like the WiiU Pro Controller and just wish they'd make them in more colors before Smash Bros comes out

justinluey

justinluey said:

Well done Nintendo! This is how you do a bundle moving forward. Nintendo is a hardware and software company that has a lot of fans that still like to buy physical releases.

Gridatttack

Gridatttack said:

Full set all the way. I need a new gamecube controller. Also I wonder, will we be able to use the new gamecube controllers on the old console? :P

sleepinglion

sleepinglion said:

This is a really great value for folks with aging pads. I currently have a Gamecube controller adapter that already works with my Wiimote (plugs in like a nunchuck) and several working GC pads and two Wavebirds. Still, I imagine a lot of folks will really love these new items. Nice work, Nintendo!

rjejr

rjejr said:

Does this work in Wii mode? In MK8? $20 is a lot for an adaprtor if it only works on 1 game.

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

I may get this bundle, provided I don't like the GP/PC. I've only had little time in-stores to hold the GP, & I've never held a PC.

Btw, anyone who uses Waverbirds, both the controller, & receiver have to be turned on, prior to plugging them into the GCN. I imagine the same principle applies to PC GCN controller adapters, too.

Sir_JBizzle

Sir_JBizzle said:

Sweet. That price isn't bad at all especially with the bundle.. I'm almost tempted to go physical for Smash's release. It'd more than likely stay in the machine anyways, since only have three other discs.

@rjejr Hopefully they'll announce that when the time comes... I'd imagine whenever they announce a system update a patch for GCN controller support will come along with it. Then it would probably be up to individual games to patch in support, like they did with Mario U/Pro Controller.

nesvc

nesvc said:

Will we be able to use this on previous wii u games such as windwaker?

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

@JQuest: Thank You! That is what it's supposed to be, not "captain", but "Captain N". There is another Captain N on NLife. That's why my name is the way it is. Thanks again! :) Captain N was a cool show. Btw, I like your name, too. Reminds me of Johnny Quest.

Nico07

Nico07 said:

Bundle on day one for me. Can't wait and I'm glad I held onto my Wavebirds and other official Gamecube controllers. My favorite was Mango.

Nico07

Nico07 said:

@Emaan No Wavebird though the adapter will support existing Wavebirds. This may change later and I would probably grab a few more Wavebirds if they were rereleased.

SetupDisk

SetupDisk said:

I still have my Gamecube and controllers but I want one of those new design ones.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

I'm pretty much sold on that bundle. My black GameCube controller is getting old and strange anyway with the c stick messing up the menus and cameras in Melee and Brawl. Very smart move by Nintendo.

Anguspuss

Anguspuss said:

Blue-Thunder said:
What about Europe? Are we getting it?
Same question the bundle is it including a GC controller

gblock

gblock said:

@Drobotic They are at least $20 for good condition official nintendo GC controllers on ebay...I'll probably buy the special bundle and at least one other GC controller (anyone else would be on their own/have to use Wiimote/Nunchuck) :P

C-Olimar

C-Olimar said:

Pleeeeeeeaaaasssseeee come to the UK! I need that bundle.
Oh, and it better not cost more than £80 Nintendo. And that's pushing it.

Anguspuss

Anguspuss said:

it would be one thing id import if we didnt get it over here nintendo uk shop exclusive at least. Hell let me pre order it now

Iggly

Iggly said:

That is quite the snag, I'm probably gonna skip the 3DS version of Super Smash Bros 4 considering Hyrule Warriors comes out sooner and this bundle is more than I could ask for.

Anguspuss

Anguspuss said:

@Frapp the 4 controller set up is so cool. I hope this means we might actually get GC games on WII U.
If the wiiu cant be a huge success they could make it a huge success with Nintendo fans just with GC games & more VC stuff. The GBA games are great on the pad.

Hydrone

Hydrone said:

@JakeShapiro
There's actually a really good reason for that.
Wireless controllers are unfit for hardcore/tournament Smash Bros. play because they have input lag and cause latency issues when too many devices are in the same area.

KeatonTS

KeatonTS said:

.. I'll just stick with my pro controller. I have been weened off ofthat controller for a long time. going back to it will feel weird.

sillygostly

sillygostly said:

This is ridiculously stupid. So Nintendo are pandering to a few vocal fans who are still stuck in 2001. Sure, re-release the Gamecube controller, by all means, but make it wireless for FFS.

It's annoying because I really loved those Mario-themed Gamecube controllers, but I can't see myself using them if they all have to be tethered to the console.

GamerZack87

GamerZack87 said:

I hope the controllers come in more colours, although that semi-translucent dark bluish colour is kinda cool. :)

EDIT: Never mind, it's just black.

Haz

Haz said:

@Drobotic You'll probably be paying more than $30 each for them, which is what these new ones will cost (unless you buy them after these go on sale).

Pj1

Pj1 said:

Is this really coming to the UK/Europe? I hope it does and at some point Nintendo announce that Gamecube coming to VC, how much memory is on a GC disc? i'm interested in a few G.C titles and that's it, sadly nothing more was announced about DS coming to Wii-U.

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

Please, Nintendo, make this work for Wii-U Virtual Console as well as Wii mode. I've got a really nice RetroUSB GC/Wii-to-SNES adapter (sadly discontinued) that's just perfect for playing Virtual Console games. Currently the only thing I can use if for is playing GBA games on the Game boy Player since I transferred all my VC games and save data from Wii to the Wii-U. I will be disappointed if Nintendo doesn't pull some strings and get this device working in Wii-mode.

bngrybt

bngrybt said:

If this adapter works in Wii mode then I can finally pack up the old Wii. I think it's on its last legs, but my son uses it to play DDR constantly. He'll be pretty upset when it finally dies.

rjejr

rjejr said:

@ThomasBW84 Can somebody tell me how NFC work with these, b/c this seems to be the big game Nitneod is selling the characters for, but they are also selling these controllers and the adaptor for the game. I see it as mixed singlas, yet havent seen it come up at all today. Hope you are reading this after a good nights sleep.

Austroid

Austroid said:

I know I'm going to get that bundle. That controller is just too awesome to pass up!

cusman

cusman said:

Can they just make a Wireless Gamecube controller with rechargeable batteries built-in like the Pro Controller and let me buy that? I don't want to use any adapter things. I don't want to use up USB slots, and I don't like wires dangling loose, and I don't mind paying for what I want.

AshFoxX

AshFoxX said:

I just wonder if they will be able to patch gamecube controllers into existing Wii U games, notably SM3DW and MK8?

Ryu_Niiyama

Ryu_Niiyama said:

PDP is making gamecube style controllers as well (i think they are wiiu pro controllers) that match the wiiu themed wiimotes (yoshi and whatnot) I'll likely pick up one of those and a pro controller...not for smash but just to round out my controller options. I'll be on gamepad for smash this time around.

Crimson_Ridley

Crimson_Ridley said:

Are wireless controllers really all that important to you all? How far do you sit away from the screen that a wired controller is an inconvenience? Stop being the pathetic "gamers" of the internet and moaning about trivial things. Grow up.

electrolite77

electrolite77 said:

Sold on this if it comes to the UK. Not actually that bothered about Smash but a new 'Cube pad is something I didn't realise I really wanted so I want that bundle.

If Nintendo add N64 and GC to the VC and patch some backwards compatibility into some existing Wii U games that'd be lovely.

biosphere76

biosphere76 said:

Didn't Nintendo say that they would not be supporting Gamecube stuff on wiiu when it first came out? Probably wrong there, but I do recall them saying something along those lines.

Also Nintendo already have a very good 'other' controller - The PRO CONTROLLER. Which Nintendo do not talk about, or advertise enough!

The gamecube controller was nice to use - However time to move on - Promote the Pro Controller more, I for one shall be using it to play Smash brothers.

biosphere76

biosphere76 said:

@andreoni79

Agreed. Also what happened to the Pro Controller - That suddenly not good enough anymore? Nintendo not not advertise that controller at all!

Christoff

Christoff said:

Buying an adapted is fine as its new tech, but how can they justify that cost for GC controllers that are like 10 years old, surely manufacturing and component costs are really low...

I still have my Gc controllers so no issue for me but for those who don't its not the best impression from Nintendo.

allav866

allav866 said:

I'm probably gonna buy the adaptor and controller separately, as if much rather download SSBU. My wallet's not gonna be happy though.

rjejr

rjejr said:

@JQuest - "I'd imagine whenever they announce a system update a patch for GCN controller support will come along with it."

I've moved on from worrying about the Gamecube adapter patch to wondering if they'll announce dual Gamepad support soon. They are promoting NFC toys for SSB and MK8 so I think it's only fair 2 people get to use them, not just everybody fighting over who gets to use the Gamepad and the NFC (I game w/ my 2 sons alot). And Splatoon REALLY needs 2 Gamepads to view the map and to teleport to your partner. And Starfox w/ 2 player? It's time.

Shambo

Shambo said:

Please confirm the bundle for Europe, I love big boxes for my big games!
Also, I still own 17 original GC controllers, of which 1 WaveBird for single player, and 16 for my Mario Kart Double Dash LAN setup. But a Smash GC controller? Can't say no to that.

Gameday

Gameday said:

I still have my indigo , orange and black controller no need to spend money on these new ones lets go !

LawRulesALL

LawRulesALL said:

As surprisingly as it might sound, I didn't own a Gamecube. Planning to buy one just to play it's games (unless by then nintendo unveils gamecube VC for Wii U) and this bundle offers great value for me ;D Now, the only question is: which bank I have to rob to get money for all this things...

BulbasaurusRex

BulbasaurusRex said:

I already have an imported 3rd party adapter (although it only supports one controller) and plenty of GameCube controllers, so I'll pass.

IRNBRU115

IRNBRU115 said:

Will probs by this, although I'm in a bit of a dilemma. I'm used to playing with the Wiimote, as Brawl was my first SSB, I plan to use NFC figures, without using my gamepad I case I wreck the buttons, and I don't know if I will like this...? Or I could just use my pro controller, and then how will my friends play? Oh god, sweating just thinking about it lol

orangespoon

orangespoon said:

now give me GC virtual console with Luigi in a Mansion and WaveRave and I will be in gaming nirvana