Feature: Ten Wii U and 3DS Games To Play This Halloween

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Zombies, vampires, desolation, isolation and all that good stuff

It's that night, dear readers, when ghouls and monsters emerge from their pits of despair to torment the living. Or, another way of looking at it, children in rather inexpensive outfits come out to threaten adults with a good egging if they don't hand over sweets and candies. What a lark!

Threats of violence from the sugar deprived youth aside, it's also a Holiday loved by many, when parties, scary movies and some creative outfits come out and amuse us all. For those of us that like a good scare and bit of dress-up it's the best night of the year, and we naturally also want to get creeped out by some rather awesome games.

To that end we've identified some current Wii U and 3DS games (no Virtual Console this time) that are perfect for this Halloween night, including five retail and five download titles. We'd class these all as "good or better", in some cases brilliant, and should mean that whatever your budget or system you can get in the mood for the scariest night of the year.

So below, in no particular order, are our choices this time around.

This was a no-brainer, which also happens to be the fate of your character the many times that you'll likely die in this Wii U launch title. Though it has its flaws, it also makes creative use of the GamePad and, for our money, is very effective at creeping us out; a zombie may creep up on you as you adjust your inventory in real time, and occasionally only a cricket bat can save you from the hordes. Definitely dark room and headphones material.

This 3DS eShop title divided critics and gamers alike, but serves up a minimalistic narrative approach that leaves you to find your own way. The ship you're on is empty, aside from the occasional angry robot, and you have to explore and figure out the cause all by yourself.

Though we've linked to the latest Wii U version, we'd argue that the 3DS version could also be the way to go; designed with the handheld in mind, the 3D and tight environments suit it nicely, especially with a Circle Pad Pro handy. It's rather nice on Wii U too, and is the over-dramatic silly counterpoint to the grisly ZombiU, and in our view a hint that all is not lost in the Resident Evil franchise. Though Resident Evil 6 has done its best to spoil things...

OK, so bear with us here. Creepy games don't have to have monsters jumping out of dark corners, but can simply play on our fear of isolation and abandonment. This is an incredibly simple but in-depth title from Terry Cavanagh — the "flip" mechanic works wonderfully — and you navigate through the environment with very few prompts or pointers. And look at the character's face in the image above, he looks scared to us.

We'd originally expected this to be released in October 2012, but it was bumped into 2013; that seemed a pity, as this is the perfect Halloween game. It's unlikely to scare you, but rather charm you silly, as Luigi creeps through multiple mansions while being as comical and frightened as ever. Critically acclaimed and having surpassed three million worldwide sales, this represents another coming of age for developer Next Level Games.

Released four times on Nintendo systems (two in Europe), this is a title that many will happily play over and over again. In a neat touch — which applies to the DSiWare, WiiWare and 3DS eShop versions, covering all regions one way or another — the main hero Quote wears a Halloween outfit to celebrate the occasion. You can play an awesome game and enjoy a nifty pixel Halloween outfit, which is a win-win scenario.

This latest Castlevania title on the 3DS — which has now been ported elsewhere — divided gamers, but we rather liked it. Not quite Metroidvania, and with a more complex combo-driven combat system than older games in the franchise, it nevertheless provides an enjoyable, atmospheric experience. It looks terrific in 3D, and you run around slaying monsters in a quest to take down Dracula — classic Halloween fare.

We had reservations about this one in our review, yet for those that can overlook and move past its flaws it's still worth consideration. With multiple playable characters this one appears courtesy of the personal Twilight Zone that each faces, with spooks on offer with plenty of humour — as would be expected of a project on which Ron Gilbert and Tim Schafer collaborated.

Shin Megami Tensei IV was in the running but, as it's not yet available in Europe, we opted for this remake. The title suggests why its here, and the cyberpunk style combined with fantastic first-person dungeon crawling make it an ideal alternative type of game for this time of year. It's also the perfect jumping in point for those new to the franchise, while the 3DS icon features a spirit — perfect.

Rather like The Starship Damrey, this can more accurately be considered as an interactive story, though this one is a tad more driven and focused. The storyline includes a number of mysteries and a central plot of monsters that emerge to battle outside of the game's town. While it won't necessarily scare you witless, this could be an atmospheric game to while away the dark hours of Halloween, with playing through in one sitting an attractive option.

So there you go, a variety of current 3DS and Wii U games that, in their own ways, could be perfect for Halloween. Let us know what you'll be playing on your current systems as the monsters lurk outside the door...

Jazzer94

Jazzer94 said:

This is pretty weird because I was just playing LM2 to get me into a Halloween mood.
@Nintenjoe64 Planning to just waiting for the dang store to update already.

Pokefanmum82

Pokefanmum82 said:

Will be playing Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon and watching Halloween movies all day. Then taking the kids trick n' treating to a few houses.

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

No way! I JUST bought the eshop version of Cave Story! :D

I was wondering why Quote was wearing a different costume...

@ThomasBW84 So you guys aren't doing the whole NINTENDO DEATH thing this year?

Falchion

Falchion said:

I might break out my snes copy of super ghouls n' ghosts. Or zombiu... So much fun. But i am not gonna play vvvvvv, i don't agree that it is a good halloween game, maybe valentines day.

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

@Falchion Well, when you think about it, certain sections of VVVVVV are kind of creepy...largely due to the music and atmosphere.

Vriess

Vriess said:

Why isn't Cave Story available in the 3DS eshop here in France? The retail version of Cave Story 3D is available here, and I got it. Really...I don't understand publishers and their choice making when it comes to which games to release and where, or not.

And it's 2:14 PM here, where is Castlevania IV!? It's nowhere to be found in the Wii U eshop!

mattatron

mattatron said:

I'll be playing some REvelations and Super Castlevania 4 on wiiu, Walking Dead Season 1 and Fatal Frame on PS3 and I may try to go through The Starship Damry.

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

@Nintenjoe64 We'll have our review up for that later today :)

But yeah, no VC this time, but there are plenty of gems there too. Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts etc...

AJWolfTill

AJWolfTill said:

Sorry Nintendo, I can't help but look to steam for my halloween gaming fix. Even if the sale on Resi is very very tempting.

XFsWorld

XFsWorld said:

I've actually recently been playing Luigi Mansion 2 and Resident Evil Revelations

kegluneq

kegluneq said:

yeah I think I'm gonna switch off my wiiU and switch on my gamecube and play eternal darkness

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

@Falchion Well why not battle me on Halloween? You know I'm the creepiest thing in the universe. A fact that makes me...H...A...P...P...Y...

Plus, you can't even grasp the form of my attack!

Kroisos

Kroisos said:

Your best bet is to dust off your Gamecube or Wii and play Eternal Darkness.

Wanderhope

Wanderhope said:

Will probably pop into Animal Crossing to pass out candy at some point, when I'm not reading Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.

This also tempts me to put down Pokemon X long enough to play a bit of Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon...

6ch6ris6

6ch6ris6 said:

hm i will just keep on playing animal crossing new leaf. some characters looks scary enough for me

BakaKnight

BakaKnight said:

Downloading Zombii U now >_>;

Hope I'll play it enough to make the 15€ worthy... and nope, not doubting of the game quality, but of how "brave" I am XD

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

@BakaKnight I'm personally a big fan of ZombiU, and it's a bloomin' bargain at the moment. I paid full price at launch, but as I'm a big coward haven't yet played the final section! Something I'll try and resolve this weekend...

snoox

snoox said:

For Halloween playin Reident Evil on 3DS, Vampire Masquerade Bloodlines on PC, & Walking Dead on iPhone ^.^

andreoni79

andreoni79 said:

@BakaKnight Have fun with ZombiU! In these days I started the Survivor mode and I daily kill some zombies, boosting my abilities while I look for ammo and health kits before advancing in the game. I turned it in some kind of Zombie Crossing ;)

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

Going to be playing Super Castlevania 4 on the SNES, Zombies Ate My Neighbors on the Wii VC, and Left 4 Dead 2 on Xbox 360 all the while eating Frute Brute and Yummy Mummy cereal to get into the Halloween spirit. :D.

Chris720

Chris720 said:

Still bed to pick up Mirror of Fate. But I think I'm covered with Luigi's Mansion, Revelations and Monster Hunter to be battling through for now.

As for the list. Some of the games don't really shout Halloween gaming but that's just me.

fluggy

fluggy said:

Cave story?? Damrey?? I'll pass .... And dig back into my GameCube Resi collection. Remake of Resi 1 prob my fave... Scarier than Resi 4.

SetupDisk

SetupDisk said:

@ThomasBW84
ZombiU was the best horror game I have played in years. Besides jump scares the game is creepy as hell and there is always tension. Especially in the one surviver mode.

HawkeyeWii

HawkeyeWii said:

Definetly going to try and finally beat the original Castlevania tonight. One of the hardest videogames I have ever played!

heathenmagic

heathenmagic said:

Just played the ZombiU demo after recently getting a Wii U.......loved it so far going to get the full game. Got Castlevania 3DS when it came out, loved it and am going to try the hard mode someday soon

Great_Gonzalez

Great_Gonzalez said:

These aren't Halloween games! I just played Mario party 2 on the spooky board with my brother now I'm going to play some animal crossing! Those are REAL Halloween games!

DashChargedShot

DashChargedShot said:

NO! Don't get The Starship Damrey. It's my least favorite eShop title I've gotten so far. It's boring, easy, and has no replay value, a rather poor story, no music, and a shallow 3D effect. Don't get it >.<

Shambo

Shambo said:

I'll replay ZombiU soon. Despite its few flaws, it's probably my favourite horror game ever due to the real fear of dying in-game.

juanwfzs

juanwfzs said:

Ufff ... i'm finishing ZombieU for the 2nd time (great game), first i'll do that, second have to finish RE: Revelations on 3DS (last mission) jajaja ... then i'm really thinking on downloading Super Castlevania IV!!!

ACK

ACK said:

On Wii U, ZombiU is as good as it gets. For a quick, tense horror fix it's pretty much unparalleled on any platform.

The 3DS' selection is pretty commendable and more or less covers the bases.

However, it must be said, the Wii has a great collection of Halloween-appropriate games:

Resident Evil 4, RE: Archives, Umbrella Chronicles, Darkside Chronicles...

Dead Space: Extraction, House of the Dead: Overkill, HotD: Return...

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, Madworld, Manhunt 2, Overlord: Dark Legend...

Ghostbusters, Monster Lab...

Those come to mind, but there are many more, I'm sure. (Not even taking into account the multitude of games available through the VC, WiiWare, and GCN compability.)

Twilight_Crow

Twilight_Crow said:

Haven't play Castlevania:LoS MoF for a while, that is actually a great recommendation. Nothing screams Halloween! like Castlevania. Thanks, and Happy Halloween everyone!

fortius54

fortius54 said:

I haven't played it yet, but people have talked about 9,9,9 and Virtues last reward. I thought they were some sort of survival type games, and they received great reviews.

Kolzig

Kolzig said:

Just bought Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate so that will be my choice. ;-)

Kiokothepirate

Kiokothepirate said:

I got Zombie U as a part of my Wii U bundle from Amazon back right after the console came out and the disc has yet to leave the case.