CoroCoro Magazine Reveals "Mega Evolution" and Three New Pokémon for X & Y

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

It's all shaping up nicely

While details of Pokémon X & Y are slowly filtered through to the West, we can rely on CoroCoro magazine to keep the new information coming regardless; today's revelations are undoubtedly worth exploring. Scans taken and translated by Serebii have revealed details on new Pokémon and all-new "Mega" evolutions, which promise to shift up the dynamics for all Trainers.

Thanks to Serebii's efforts, below are the details.

• There are "Mega" forms of various Pokémon, specifically MegaBlaziken, MegaAbsol, MegaMawile, MegaMewtwo, MegaLucario and MegaAmpharos.
  • MegaMawile is Steel/Fairy-type (as is normal Mawile) and has the ability Huge Power.
  • MegaBlaziken has Speed Boost.
  • MegaLucario has Adaptability.
  • MegaAbsol has the ability Magic Bounce.
  • MegaMewtwo has the ability Insomnia.
  • MegaAmpharos is Electric/Dragon and has the ability Mold Breaker.
  • These "Mega" 'mon "evolve" through a process called, not surprisingly, "Mega Evolution".
  • A new character will be called Koruni in Japan. She is a Gym Leader and holds the key to understanding Mega Evolutions.

In addition new Pokémon, shown below, are the following:

• The pre-evolution of Gogoat is called Meekuru. It is 0.9m and 31.0kg.
  • There's an Electric Fairy called Dedenne. It is 0.2m and 2.2kg. It is the Antenna Pokémon and has the abilities Pick Up or the new ability Cheek Pouches.
  • The Rabbit is a Normal-type called Horubii. It is 0.4m and 5.0kg. It is the Digging Pokémon and also has the abilities Pick Up or Cheek Pouches.

Quite a lot to take in this time around. Check out the scans below and let us know what you think.

[via serebii.net]

Morphbug

Morphbug said:

That MOUSE it's just too cute. I'll be forced to catch every single one I find.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

Ok, the mystery of the New Mewtwo has been solved. Case closed. I love Ampharos so I am happy to see it got a Mega too!

And Dedenne looks more like an electric mouse than Pikachu.

2Sang

2Sang said:

How stupid is the amphorous one lol
like the prevo though thats what we mustve seen a few months back

SchamMan89

SchamMan89 said:

This is the most excited I've been for a new Pokemon generation since Gold and Silver!

AVahne

AVahne said:

Still no dragon eevee? Anyway, the Megas look kinda cool, though some of it is weird. A former-sheep that turned into some kind of naked monster is now part dragon?

DreamyViridi

DreamyViridi said:

People are taking this surprisingly positively. I like the Mega Mawile. I always liked Mawile and now, with the extra power; it shall have Dragons for lunch!

@Koto - Be patient. New Eevee evos often come into pairs and not everything will be announced before the game's release.

HandheldGuru97

HandheldGuru97 said:

THAT MOUSE FAIRY/ELECTRIC POKEMON IS SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO CUTE MUST HAVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!! Ahem now that thats out of the way can they make this game look any better???!!!! (Just don't disappoint me like Black 2 did...)

DePapier

DePapier said:

Holy... holy... :'(
HOLY... HOLY COOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

MY FAVORITE POKEMON, BLAZIKEN, IN MEGA FORM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And Lucario... And Absol... This is beyond the realm of legal awesomeness. :O

AlexSora89

AlexSora89 said:

Also, now I'm officially worried. Not because of the Mega Evolutions, but we know what happened with the last massive update - with Generation III - in the games' database: no backwards compatibility.

I'm worried.

randomlypikachu

randomlypikachu said:

O_O well darn! this is suprising... this is ... awesome. that is the only word needed to describe this - AWESOME - MegaMawile and MegaAbsol will be mine!

Gioku

Gioku said:

This is extremely flippin' AWESOME!!!

What does that mean if we have MegaBlaziken? Will a starter (or possibly starters) be available via normal gameplay (like being found in the wild)?

AVahne

AVahne said:

@DreamyViridi
NEVAR! AHAHAHAHAHAHA!
No, but really I do have some patience. That's why I'm still waiting and eagerly reading these Pokemon articles. For me, with the way the series is nowadays and with how my gaming tastes have changed from when I was a kid, a Dragon-type Eevee is THE deciding factor for whether I buy Pokemon Y this year or wait 1-2 years for a Pokemon Z. It'll be my only reason to continue playing this series, unless we get a Pokemon MMO for Wii U... Yum

Morphbug

Morphbug said:

@alexsora89: the gen 3 games had no backwards compatibility because there was no way to communicate gba games with gbc games. I wouldn't worry about it now.

Newtwo

Newtwo said:

I really like this new feature. I am also suprised at how well people are taking this. On other websites, a lot of people complained about this.

AVahne

AVahne said:

@AlexSora89
I don't follow, no backwards compatibility? If you mean trading with ancient Pokemon games, that's a given. It's about time to move on.

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

This all sounds great to me. This is the most interested I've felt about Pokemon since the early years. The mouse and rabbit are too cute.

JVilla

JVilla said:

@DreamyViridi true, I was expecting people to be negative about this but I'm glad it's not. And usually it's a pair with a type advantage over another. Seeming as fairy is the focus and dragons were the OP, It's safe to say that's what they would release. But one can only hope. :)

Newtwo

Newtwo said:

I would like a mega sabeleye REALLY badly. If mawile gets one, so should sabeleye.

AlexSora89

AlexSora89 said:

@Koto:
I mean transferring Pokémon from GenIV/GenV games to X and Y. It only happened once so far, but any time backwards compatibility is dropped, that's a loss of a lot of progress. Which is always a touchy matter to me.

AVahne

AVahne said:

@AlexSora89
Well, perhaps it wouldn't be problematic to transfer pokemon over from DS games. They could release some kind of transfer tool or do some kind of Transfer Park or something.

Blue-Alpha

Blue-Alpha said:

I'm impressed, they look pretty good, especially Blaziken and Lucario, but I'm wondering how many Megamon there will be.

Joe1113

Joe1113 said:

I'm surprised no one has commented on how they evolved A FREAKING STARTER POKEMON!!! Blaziken is undoubtedly cool, but its mega looks AWESOME!!!

2Sang

2Sang said:

@AlexSora89 same here I wont buy or play anymore after I cant use my nearly perfect iv caught wild 50 ribbon gallade. Thaf would be the end of pokemon for me forever

CrazyOtto

CrazyOtto said:

I'd like to see a new Pokemon called "Politough", he can be evolved to from either a Poliwrath or a Politoad.

Yorumi

Yorumi said:

I always liked absol, but absol with magic bounce, oh wow that's just awesome.

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

All this 'Mega' stuff sounds like it belongs to Digimon - but holy hell, are these designs awesome!!!

Nanamine

Nanamine said:

Wait--Mega Blaziken? Is Hoenn going to be in XY? The file size is unusually large for a Pokemon game, and there are rail road tracks on the map.

dadajo

dadajo said:

At first I was like this sounds horrible, but the thing with pokemon is you can't judge by first impressions. Besides all the mega pokemon (besides poor amphroas with the hair) look awesome.

Yoshi3DS

Yoshi3DS said:

i thought everyone would be complaining that pokemon finally went digimon.... but if other people are liking this so will I, MEGA CRADILY please!

Brother_Jolteon

Brother_Jolteon said:

The rabbit looks like a its part of the Pikachu family, and speaking of that, they should've revealed a MegaRaichu...

RupeeClock

RupeeClock said:

I was dreading that Game Freak might butcher Lucario at some point in the series' future, or at least interfere, but truthfully this "Mega" forms don't trouble me at all! They exemplify that these pokémon have gotten a power boost and honestly that justifies how over the top these forms are. :P

I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out, it's quite peculiar, like what sort of rules are there surrounding Mega pokémon? How is it induced? Is it permanent or temporary? I'm hoping the latter in that case. Are there restrictions like how they are used in battle, like a turn limit or how many can be on your team at any given time?

Mega Lucario with Adaptability could find a new niche using Bullet Punch, thanks to the 2x STAB bonus for example.

Intrepid

Intrepid said:

I bet Smogon is throwing a fit right now: "Oh my god guys, first Fairy and now Mega Evolution? The meta is ruined!"

Intrepid

Intrepid said:

As for sending Pokemon from previous games, I'd rather we start fresh. The Pokemon from the GBA/DS gen could be hacked to have all sorts of stuff on them, so if we started new from 3DS onward, we could avoid that. Besides, if people send all their old pokemon over, they may as well not even bother getting X/Y, as there would hardly be a difference. They would prerty much just use the same team they always have.

DreamyViridi

DreamyViridi said:

@JVilla - Exactly, it seems likely but who knows; right?
With only a couple of months 'til release, any subject on the game that hasn't been covered yet is anyone's guess!

AlexSora89

AlexSora89 said:

@everyone:
I really hope DS-to-3DS transfers can be done, as the lack of such compatibility, combined with a new numbering in the Hoenn Dex (which wasn't explained to be a regional Pokédex at the time, prompting fans - me included - to fear a retcon) and with the absence of a lot of Gen II and Gen I Pokémon, was what crippled Generation III in the first place.
Then again, a "fresh start" as suggested by Intrepid could be bearable, but only if the games come with a lot of Pokémon from previous generations catchable in a postgame area.

@Intrepid:
Nevermind that hacked Pokémon were actually countering the lack of backwards compatibility in Generation III... seriously, many Pokémon long-time fans have spent time training were lost, no wonder many trainers used hacking to recreate them from scratch.

Blue_Yoshi

Blue_Yoshi said:

I think they really messed up on MegaAmpharos, I mean it had potential to have a cool looking evolution and be an Electric/Light type Pokemon in a future generation and they randomly make it Electric/Dragon with a powdered wig? I mean c'mon I hope these "Mega" evolutions aren't going to be banned or usurp normal evolution. I sure as hell don't hope they "Mega" Pokemon overshadow the new Pokemon in the meta game and count as the 50 "new" ones we were supposedly getting. But hey if Pokemon generations become a yearly thing or even bi-yearly this could be a good thing.

Brother_Jolteon

Brother_Jolteon said:

I'm excited for MegaBlaziken cuz I never had a regular speed boost Blaziken. So if Mega Evolution gives a normal Blaziken Speed Boost in its Mega form, then I'm all for it, but I also want mega forms of Empoleon, Swampert and Infernape.... though I doubt these will happen, or perhaps it will, I hope...

mamp

mamp said:

OMG THAT RABBIT Horubi!!! OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!! Did I mention OMG? I love you guys. Best day ever!!!

Beta

Beta said:

COME ON, MEGACHARIZARD! PLEASE EXIST, I BEG YOU! D'X They can fix you by making your type Fire/Dragon... ;_;

Prof_Clayton

Prof_Clayton said:

Gens 1-3 in particular got the Mega forms. Seems like you can also find starters in game, at least Gen 3. A key to unlocking it, hopefully will be something compicated, so that these things don't dominate everything.

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

Ampharos and its pre-volutions are among my favorite pokemon, so yes, MegaAmpharos definitely has me excited. :)

SpinelessOyster

SpinelessOyster said:

I wonder if all fully evolved Pokemon and single evolution Pokemon are going to be able to Mega Evolve. Or if it's just going to be certain one? It would definitely be cool so see Mega versions of some of my favorites. MegaElectivire, MegaGengar, MegaGyarados, those just sound to wicked to pass up.

Brother_Jolteon

Brother_Jolteon said:

I retract my statement about mega blaziken, since serebii says from (Jap) Oct 12 through Jan 15 an event Torchic can be downloaded to X and Y with its hidden ability, Speed Boost. And they evolve by using the new "Mega Stone"

BlatantlyHeroic

BlatantlyHeroic said:

Since you have to evolve the pokemon with an item (the event Torchic they mentioned implies this) that means these forms are permanent, which to me is a lot better. I prefer an actual evolution over just a form.

DBMONK

DBMONK said:

Damn, was excited for this one.... now i am just gonna sit and cry until i can finally get my greasy hands on that mega lucario!!

DarkKirby

DarkKirby said:

Saw this on Serebii already. Hope this makes Mawile and Ampharos (now the most fabulous Pokemon) viable.

Blaziken and Lucario didn't need the help, but whatever.

Where is Mega Gardevoir?

Skeet102

Skeet102 said:

my only problem with these is that they will probably take over the metagame. also because half of them are from hoenn, including a starter, I think there might be a gen 3 remake on the way.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

I have a problem with these Mega evolutionary forms which seem like fourth evolutionary forms. I think they should only be given to Legendaries and third stage evolutions. Bllaziken is the third stage and Mewtwo is a Legendary so they're okay. But Mawlie is only a single evolutionary stage Pokemon.

Doma

Doma said:

Looks like all you need is some hair growth formula to obtain these mega versions. A new item?

LeVideoGamer

LeVideoGamer said:

Mawile, Blaziken, Lucario, Mewtwo, Absol and Ampharos are six of my favourite Pokemon, so these Mega Evolutions are really cool. Now, if Sableye, Dunsparce, Arcanine and Jynx got some, it'd be perfect.

DaveGX

DaveGX said:

Heh. Ya know the irony here is when MegaMEwtwo was 1st shown they said it wasn't an evolution, rather a new form. Yet now it's a "Mega" Evolution. So technically it'ss till an evolution, which I kinda feel i was right to assume all along. However, just how these will play out and if they even decide to keep these "mega" names remains to be seen....

adeceku

adeceku said:

Mega Mewtwo does not look cool and Mega Ampharos is mmmmm I don't know how to explain it.

GuSolarFlare

GuSolarFlare said:

since I was a kid I've said pokemon shouldn't evolve more than twice because they would look lame.....now I'm happy I was so wrong!

DaveGX

DaveGX said:

So, I just took a look at the picture above to find this Pichu-ish looking 1 a few people were mentioning. Honestly, i don't think it looks like it belongs to that family, really... hard to say. Instead of looks more like a combination of Raichu and Marill, kinda. Though I'm honestly not really so much up to dte with them past the 2nd-3rd gens, so I'm sure most everyone can probably/might be able to point out closer resemblances. Link me up if so.

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

@Blue-Alpha
Thats what I'm thinking too, the starters usually get treated equally when it comes to this stuff. At least I hope they do it seems odd to me that only Blaziken would get a new form, and it'd throw off the balance between them.

Mega evolutions don't really bother me, but for some reason it just sounds weird. I guess it just sounds sorta convoluted on top of everything else.

link3710

link3710 said:

The reason backwards compatibility did not occur in Gen III is due to the fact that the way pokemon were stored as data was completely revamped (i.e. DVs were dropped in favor of IVs, personality values etc.). Types and evolutions are stored in tables in the game, not within each Pokemon, so there has been no evidence that backwards compatibility will not be available.

link3710

link3710 said:

@Zombie_Barioth Blaziken was far more popular than the others, and has been treated differently before, like in Diamond and Pearl where it was able to go into amity park, but no other starter could.

BakaKnight

BakaKnight said:

Mawile revenge!!! Yes!!!
Tried to train a Mawile from a egg at start of White 2, but soon she was too too weak for be useful... It was a pain, but I had to dump her in the box T.T
Now this "mega" evolutions... not sure what to think of them, but if they will finally make Mawile a pokemon you can use then I'm glad they added them ^O^

BigDaddysPizza

BigDaddysPizza said:

MegaBlaziken? YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!
Blaziken is my favorite pokemon, and now it's becoming even more EPIC!!!
This is almost as awesome as the surprise in the Nintendo Direct yesterday.

Arcamenel

Arcamenel said:

So happy the news is being taken better here than on other sites. I'm really excited about the new information :D

Squid

Squid said:

These look cool, but... I dunno. It's a little confusing. Like, why these specific ones? It just seems odd, like I don't know why they have to modify pre-existing Pokemon all the time... But I don't understand if this means that Torchic would have three evolutions, and I hope that MegaBlaziken would just be a branch of the evolution line. I also don't get how these Mega versions would make sense in the nature of the world, like, why would Mega versions of these pokemon exist in the wild? Anyways, I guess I'm just a little off-put because it's like "Oh hey btw these old Pokemon are now uber-Mon have fun, good luck" eh.

Garios

Garios said:

I really hope this is a branching of the evolution line and not a full upgrade considering that half those pokemon don't need any help in terms of stats. Perhaps just a redistribution of stats along with the new ability? Anyway, these look awesome and I hope they're fair about it and give us quite a few other mega-starters. If my Charizard was a force to be reckoned with before, I can only imagine him in mega-form... drool

Melkaticox

Melkaticox said:

@Koto Ampharos' japanese name is "Electric dragon". Literally. No, seriously, it's literally "Elegon" (but in japanese, obviously)

I can't believe it, MegaBlaziken looks even better than Infernape...and infernape's my favorite pokémon!
Too bad they only go mega during battle, I want to see the Megas in my team ;_;

Intrepid

Intrepid said:

@AlexSora89 No matter the reason, if a pokemon is hacked, it's hacked. It has no rightful place existing at all, and I definately don't want it in Gen 6. If a game doesn't let you transfer, you should move on and enjoy the new game, instead of mourning the loss of pokemon that were literally made in less than 5 mins. Seriously, hacked pokemon don't require much effort to make in the first place, so I don't see why people complain as if they had invested their entire life into training them, because they certainly did not.

AVahne

AVahne said:

@Melkaticox
Huh, I never knew that. Just looked it up and its name is apparently Denryuu...makes sense to make it half dragon in its Mega-form then ahahah
Though then again that raises the question again of how does a sheep turn into a monster "dragon" thing....
And I've always wonder how a sheep turned into whatever Ampharos counts as back then...

MegaManEP3

MegaManEP3 said:

Everything I read about this game makes me more excited. I'm really looking forward to this one.

Lalivero

Lalivero said:

While this is great and surprising , may I ask why exactly already strong Pokemon like Blaziken and Lucario are getting mega forms? Mewtwo as well but legends are usually kept out of things anyways. Absol and Mawile are okay with both having nothing really going on for them otherwise and Ampharos seems interesting.

Why couldn't they have given something like Farfetch'd or Dunsparce a mega form since we've been waiting forever for them to get (pr)evos? Haha...

...Or even a mega Umbreon. :)

I'm liking the 3 new Pokemon though.

BulbasaurusRex

BulbasaurusRex said:

These Mega Evolutions remind me of Pokémon EX TCG cards. They're not true evolutions and don't get unique names, but they contain many features of evolutions.

Gotta have a Pikachu clone. So far Gen II is the only one without any. First there was Plusle and Minun, then Pachirisu, then Emolga, now this new gerbil(?) Dedenne.

SockoMario

SockoMario said:

Mega Evolutions sounds like a great idea! And the Pokemon's mega forms look surprisingly good, except for Mega Ampharos. It just looks plain lazy. All they did was get Ampharos's design, and added hair on its head and tail. The mouse Pokemon design looks good enough I guess. I don't really care for the others.
EDIT: And no I'm not a "Genwunner". Generation 5 was my favorite.

stillwinds

stillwinds said:

Awesome! I'm glad Absol got an evolved form.

But Mega Ampharos just looks hilarious with that hair.

Pokefanmum82

Pokefanmum82 said:

I want the three new Pokemon. On the fence about the Mega Pokemon. I just hope they aren't too hard to evolve. October can't come fast enough for me.

G3ry

G3ry said:

IM WORRIED!!!
The Pokemon they mentioned having a MEGA evolution are "popular" Pokemon, SOOOOOOO does this mean only "popular" Pokemon are having a MEGA evolution OR ALL Pokemon are having one.
THATS WHY I´M CONCERNED!!!
If only a few Pokemon are having MEGA, mostly "popular" Pokemon, this means Pokemon that dont have one and are not popular are going to be even more let out
SO WHY HAVE THOSE POKEMON?????
I hope this applies for ALL Pokemon (Which is very unlikely)

Lalivero

Lalivero said:

@NintendoFlow I'm not complaining so much as I feel that other Pokemon deserved this treatment way more than the main two I listed. We have yet to see if any others will get one and which if they do.

If you think I'm being some kind of negative nancy than you have clearly missed my other posts concerning the game(s).

BulbasaurusRex

BulbasaurusRex said:

@mumof3kids82 Serebii now says the Mega Evolutions are temporary and in-battle only through the use of hold items. It's like combining power-up hold items like Life Orb and Expert Belt with form changes. Serebii now also confirms that only select Pokémon will have Mega Evolutions.

Delphox

Delphox said:

Am I the only one who has the slightest bit of skepticism that this is just... a really bad joke on us? I mean, Game Freak can't get THAT desperate to answer to fans' wanting more evolutions of our favorite past-gen Pokémon.

It could be real, though. I'm getting Y regardless. Also, spoons. :)

Hoerig

Hoerig said:

does anyone else find it odd that they would only have one starter final evolution have a mega forme.....or do they plan to keep them a secret

Ryankf

Ryankf said:

I wonder if there is going to be megaevoltuions for all pokemon or just a certain few.

kinatarai

kinatarai said:

Man I'm totally pumped for this game, mega forms, new eevee evolution, gogoat which allows you to jump ledges and all the character designs, hair color, skin color, hair type and accessories. My starter choose is between chespin and Froakie.

Ryankf

Ryankf said:

I'm choosing froakie as of now but i'm gonna with till their evolutions come out.

Sedrick

Sedrick said:

If there will be a mega persian and it like my profile picture I am going to freak out it Will be so cool and Giovanni Will be much stronger