Classic Retro Titles Coming To North American eShop Later This Year

Posted by Andy Green

Super Mario Bros. 3 will be on both Wii U and 3DS

During today's Nintendo Direct it was announced that North America will be getting some timeless classics made available on the eShop.

Broadcasting from the Nintendo Treehouse - we're not sure if it's actually a real treehouse - Erik Peterson confirmed five titles will be coming later this year.

Possibly the biggest reveal is Super Mario Bros. 3, which will be jumping onto the Wii U and 3DS eShops before New Year. There's been no specific date but it should be with us fairly soon. This NES classic was an unbelievable platformer that added so much to the previous iterations. It's sure to be popular on both eShops.

The NES version of Donkey Kong will also be made available and will be in the 3DS eShop on 15th August. It's currently in the Wii U eShop as part of the Famicom's 30th anniversary promotion. Incidentally, you have until the 13th August to grab it for just 30c/30p.

Also available in August is Game Boy Color platformer Wario Land 3, which features over 20 levels and includes day and night elements. Wario Land is all about collecting as much bounty as possible and is a refreshing game for those bored of rescuing princesses. It'll be available in the 3DS eShop on 29th August.

NES sports title Tecmo Bowl will be coming this Fall, just in time for the for the football season, and Summer Carnival 92: Recca, which was originally designed for a games festival that took place in Japan in 1992, will be coming soon. The latter is a tough shooter that requires all of your concentration. The cartridge is extremely rare and was only available on the Famicom in Japan so it's great to see it made available for download.

What are your thoughts on all these titles? Which will you be downloading? Let us know in the comment section below.

Related Games

Knux

Knux said:

Summer Carnival 92: Recca looks fantastic. I didn't even know that the game existed! :O

SuperiorTech

SuperiorTech said:

I'm a sucker for Super Mario Bros. 3! I wish they would've announced what date but this'll have to do. This should somewhat please Rockman_Onion as well.

Technosphile

Technosphile said:

Will Tecmo Bowl retain all the players from the original NES version? What about Eric Dickerson?

I wish it were Tecmo Super Bowl NES this was happening with, but it's a start.

Rafie

Rafie said:

Bout time SMB3 was announced for NA and EU. Japan already has this for their VC on the Wii U. I'm definitely stoked for this, but I can't wait to see what else Ninty will offer up for VC. N64 games I hope.

bofis

bofis said:

So many titles coming to WiiU, I wonder when Nintendo will allow you to make folders like on the 3DS to organize games. As it stands, I've completely filled up my first page with games, and had to push all the settings and other applications over to another screen.

Kodeen

Kodeen said:

Recca? I've played that game on my NES flash cartridge and it is an amazing technical accomplishment. It's really hard to believe it's being played by an NES. I'll be snatching that up on the VC for sure.

JohnBgon

JohnBgon said:

"Super Mario Bros. 3 will be on both Wii U and 3DS"

Do I have to buy them twice, one for each console?

Obito_Tennyson

Obito_Tennyson said:

I wonder how many sales Super Mario Bros. 3 would get. It is the best game on the NES, I could not wait. I screamed like a teenaged girl hugging a pop singer when I saw that title on Nintendo Direct, even if I already knew that it would be coming very soon.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

I love Super Mario Bros 3 but I am not sure if I would want it on my 3DS. Well I am glad that I picked up that Club Nintendo offer for Super Mario Bros 3 a few months ago, that way it will only cost me a dollar for the Wii U version. :D

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

I'm a big fan of console VC games on 3DS. I think the Super Mario Bros 1 and 2 look great on the small screen, and will definitely be buying Super Mario Bros 3 for 3DS, as well as the Wii U.

I feel as if I want my premier VC collection on Wii U- you can play on the tv or gamepad, there's virtual restore points and fully customized button controls for every game. Having said that, I also buy many of them on 3DS as well, mainly because I like the idea of a VC collection on the go. I spend a ton of $ on VC, especially when I have to buy the same game twice for 3DS and Wii U.

ecco6t9

ecco6t9 said:

Probably most of them I will be buying. Recca being the nice surprise. Now if we could just get Guardian Legend,

Kodeen

Kodeen said:

@Ryno

Was it only announced for the 3DS? I assumed it was Wii U (can't watch the direct ATM), hope I was right.

allav866

allav866 said:

I might upgrade my Wii SMB3, but I think having it on portable is the better option. Does it have multiplayer via download play?

bezerker99

bezerker99 said:

@Knux I wasn't not aware of it either. Can't wait to get my hands on it. And the dude in the Treehouse said it was coming "Very Soon." :)

GeminiSaint

GeminiSaint said:

Looking forward to Wario Land 3 and Super Mario Bros. 3!
Whoever asked for The Guardian Legend, I second that motion.

flummerfelt

flummerfelt said:

Wario Land 3, finally! Easily my favorite in the wario series. I completed it 100% this summer, but I'll be all for beating it again at the end of August!

millarrp

millarrp said:

I will definitely grab Mario 3 and wario 3 when they are available, and possibly tecmo bowl

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

I'll be getting Super Mario Bros. 3 for 3DS and Wario Land 3. I have SMB3 for All-Stars, GBA, Wii VC, and the Mario anniversary collection, but I'll get it again for 3DS because it'll be the NES original on a handheld and it's probably my favorite Mario game. I've been waiting for Wario Land 3 for quite a while, so I'm happy that it's coming later this month.

darklinkinfinite

darklinkinfinite said:

On a related note, do you guys criticize Nintendo's handling of the Virtual Console whenever you fill out Club Nintendo surveys? I don't know if they ever actually get read but they five me the space so I try to let them know why I am dissatisfied with the service thus far. My main gripes are the slowness of releases, narrow focus on certain supported consoles, having to pay twice to have games available on both the Wii U and 3DS, less than interesting titles (not as big a problem on the Wii U so far), and specifically on the Wii U, the fact that they are splitting their efforts between re-releasing games previously available on the Wii (which most expected all or most to be available already, or at least see them coming out at a quicker pace) and previously unreleased VC games.

Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of the Virtual Console and I think it started off great when it launched on the Wii, but I don't think we ever really got the improvement we should expect from the system and instead I think it got worse in a lot of areas. I think, given the opportunity via Club Nintendo, I should let Nintendo know how I feel (in a civilized manner, of course)

Powerglove2

Powerglove2 said:

i recommend to anybody that wants to play oldskool NES games...to just go buy a real old skool nes lol
emulation will never be more than just an "attempt" at having the original experience.

AlexSora89

AlexSora89 said:

Hang on, hang on, hang on... Super Mario Bros. 3 AND Recca coming to the 3DS? My body is ready!

hydeks

hydeks said:

Summer Carnival 92 I never heard of, but I will get it cause it looked awesome, and when Super Mario Bros 3 comes out, all probably get all three of the classics on my 3DS :)

SchamMan89

SchamMan89 said:

Nintendo needs a unified account system so badly. There's no reason my NES and SNES games can't be exchanged between systems.

jtgillia

jtgillia said:

Wanna get me excited? Put out Contra and Bionic Commando pn the eShop. Two games we should've gotten years ago on Wii!

Wintendo

Wintendo said:

Seriously Nintendo, no wonder you're doing less than stellar right now. How about releasing the games that essentially defined the Game Boy? Hmmm, whatever could it be?? We've only been asking ever since the 3DS launched. Instead, you give us games that have already been 'released' 5 or so times. Oh boy.

Donjwolf

Donjwolf said:

I'd get DK if it wasn't the version with the missing level.
I'm pretty bored of SMB3 at this point so I doubt I'd get it.

I'm still waiting for Nintendo to get the games I really want, such as Spy Vs. Spy, Contra, Operation C, Nemesis, Shanghai and Revenge of the 'Gator.

Big_Boy_Chubs

Big_Boy_Chubs said:

I'm going to get Super Mario Bros 3., donkey kong, and warioland 3. I've never played any of them, but have heard wonderful things about Bros. 3. Can't wait! ( :

meltendo

meltendo said:

I'm super excited for SMB3 on the 3DS but this made me think of my favorite version of SMB3--the Super Nes version in Super Mario Bros. All-Stars. Then I realized there's really nothing from the SNES being released on the 3DS except the remake of A Link To The Past. Where's Super Metroid on the 3DS? Heck, how about Earthbound? Is Nintendo withholding SNES games for possible pricier remakes/releases?

RR529

RR529 said:

Super Mario Bros. 3 - Not a fan of playing NES games on 3DS (feels too squished), and I already have it on Wii, so I might pass.

Donkey Kong - NES issue again, and I already have GB Donkey Kong (which is considered the better game), so I'll pass.

Tecmo Bowl - Have on Wii, and didn't find it engrossing, so I'll pass this time.

Wario Land 3 - The "Wario" games haven't hooked me, so I'll pass.

Summer Carnival '92: RECCA - Now this is something! While it's an NES game, it's rare, and looks very frentic (I'm intrigued by Shumps, although I suck at them), so I'll definitely look into it!

hydeks

hydeks said:

@LzQuacker lots of people have used classic video games shops in their areas. I live in the middle of pretty well nowhere, and I can think of 3 near me :P They're not that uncommon.

Ichiban

Ichiban said:

Cant say im terribly excited for Mario 3, ive played it so much over the years I could finish it blindfolded! (well maybe not!)
But why not just release Mario All Stars?

Joygame51

Joygame51 said:

I enjoy VC game all of them...maybe because I'm old. Also I like them becuse most of them were Darn good games to begin with. Ahhh well, which ever reason I do like them very much. Good for Nintendo.

delt75

delt75 said:

I would get Tecmo Bowl, but I got it for the Wii years ago, and since Madden has exclusive NFLPA rights there were no actual names in the game. I'm sure the same will be true for these downloads. Good thing I still have my NES hooked up.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

I would've bought Super Mario 3 if it had've been the All-Stars or Mario Advance version (same with SMB2).

GamerZack87

GamerZack87 said:

Wait...they're releasing the NES Donkey Kong? Even though it's a premake of the GB Donkey Kong? Which is already out in the 3DS eShop? Well, maybe there's hope for SMBDX and the SMA games after all... 9.9

coolvw93

coolvw93 said:

im excited for super mario 3 and tecmo bowl on my eshop. i can never get enough of either of these titles!!!

Dpullam

Dpullam said:

I'm definitely looking forward to playing Wario Land 3. I just have too many other games to purchase before I can consider getting this one.

Dpishere

Dpishere said:

I have been waiting for a chance to purchase the original Donkey Kong, unfortunately like others, my backlog is too large for me to consider any games. The fact that I am still playing New Leaf doesn't help in that respect, but I don't mind. I do hope that they release Super Mario World for 3ds as I would get that instantly.

sleepinglion

sleepinglion said:

Oh, the VC... such wasted potential. At least the Wii VC made an effort to release titles from a broad spectrum of systems... NES, SNES, N64, Genesis, Arcade, TG-16 and more... the Wii U VC chooses to unleash all of its processing power on NES... and SNES... and that's it. Even one Gamecube title, say 'Luigi's Mansion' in honor of the Year of Luigi, could have been big news. Sadly, the trend has been one VC release a week which doesn't give many fans the choice they may be hoping for and the price points really aren't much to keep emulation at bay.

TonLoco

TonLoco said:

Is tecmo bowl going to be released on the 3DS? The eshop needs more sports games besides soccer. Football, baseball, hockey, any of them. There seems to be a lack of sport retail releases for the handheld as well.

Knuckles

Knuckles said:

@Mr.Trill281 Ninja Turtles never will because of the removal of the NES Ninja turtles, and as for Paperboy... I don't know, I'm still playing my Genesis version happily.

datamonkey

datamonkey said:

Why oh why oh why is there not a unified Nintendo account enabling me to buy this and play it on both Wii U and 3DS?

No doubt I have to buy the damn game twice for that right?

Blue-Thunder

Blue-Thunder said:

How many times does Nintendo want us to buy Super Mario Bros 3? I bought it on the NES, I downloaded it on Wii VC like what the heck. This download system where the game is restricted to one console is not only ridiculous but it is an infringement on your rights as a consumer, or at least it should be or maybe it is.

WaveWarlock

WaveWarlock said:

hurray, make way for more emulations that are already present on the Wii & soon to be Wii U. tripple dipping should be a cowabunga crime in itself. Like RR529 said, NES games on the 3DS feels squished...plus the 3DS's teeny weeny stiff 'n clicky face buttons and lower positioning plus the creeky-stiff d-pad make playing these classics a little akward & uncomfortable. Earthbound VC wise has been the only thing worth getting excited about as it's been the ONLY new VC release... super double dragon, Castlevania Bloodlines, mega man 7 ect ect. there's tons of great stuff we still haven't seen for Alfin' out loud! :p

WaveWarlock

WaveWarlock said:

@Falco
Don't worry, when Nintendo's Next Gen Console Wii They arrives you will be buying SMB.3 for a 4th time and you WILL be excited. :p

Yoshis_VGM

Yoshis_VGM said:

Great!! Now if only they'd put N64 and GameCube games on Virtual Console...then it'd be amazing!!!

GuttaBunny

GuttaBunny said:

Can anybody reccomend a decent external hard drive with between 500 gig - 1tb? Thanks.

therick112

therick112 said:

What's the difference between this NES Donkey Kong and the one Club Nintendo was giving out as a promotion a while back?

UnseatingKDawg

UnseatingKDawg said:

It's about friggin' time we got Wario Land 3! There was no excuse that we had to wait that long when the rest of the world had access!

SuperKMx

SuperKMx said:

SMB3 - sold!

Shame there's absolutely no reason they can't churn out first-party games at the rate of a dozen a week if they wanted to, but there you go.

Austroid

Austroid said:

Must get Summer Carnival '92. It looks like a chaotic piece of fun, that must be played!

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

Yes! Every time I take a VC survey on Club Nintendo, I always ask them to add SMB3, WL3, and Blaster Master. Maybe they're finally listening!

@SuperKMx I know... The good VC releases come so slowly.

@GuttaBunny I would recommend this one

For this model, though, you'll need a Y cable with one end plugging into the hard drive and two ends plugging into the Wii U. This one should work according to the reviews.

Hope this helps!

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

Summer Carnival 92: Recca is absolutely brilliant. (It better come to Europe).

That and Crisis Force are the best 2 Famicom shmups.

(Neither are as good as Power Strike 2 on the Master System though).

Glad for Super Mario Bros 3. (Been wanting to replay it for quite a while and being waiting for it).