Nintendo Download: 30th May (Europe)

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Classic Zelda, the Denpa Men return, hyper speed and more

Due to a public Holiday in various countries, we didn't receive the Nintendo Download as early as normal. Thankfully we now have the translated line-up from Germany for your reading pleasure below. It's mostly about the Wii U and 3DS this week, with retro and new delights to enjoy, while the Wii Virtual Console steps in with some Neo Geo action. Let's get to the details.

Wii U Virtual Console

Ghosts 'n Goblins (Capcom, £3.49 / €4.99) — This is the US version of the game. The NES title that would eventually spawn last week's brilliant SNES arrival, Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts. It's classic 8-bit running, jumping and attacking, with a legendary level of difficulty to boot. We'll have someone take another look at the Wii U version soon, but until then you can check out our 3DS Virtual Console Ghosts 'n Goblins review, where we gave it a solid recommendation.

Wii U eShop Discounts

Ghosts 'n Goblins (Capcom, £1.74 / €2.49 if you have a Wii U Virtual Console copy of Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts; offer ends 6th June, normal price €4.99)

Toki Tori 2 (Two Tribes, £9.74 / €11.24 until 6th June, normally £12.99 / €14.99)

Chasing Aurora (Broken Rules, a permanent reduction to £5.89 / €6.49, was originally £10.79 / €11.99)

3DS eShop

The Denpa Men 2: Beyond the Waves (Genius Sonority, £8.99 / €9.99) — A long awaited sequel for those that enjoyed the dungeon crawling, AR seeking gameplay of the original. This is a relentlessly charming game that also encourages you to take your 3DS on the road, while improving on the first title in almost every way. We gave it a glowing recommendation in our The Denpa Men 2: Beyond the Waves review.

SpeedX 3D Hyper Edition (Gamelion Studios, £1.79 / €1.99) — While a less expensive 'hyper' version of the excellent SpeedX 3D sounds too good to be true, that's because it is. This fresh release hits Europe at a lower price point than in North America and offers improved visuals, a smoother framerate and new music. Unfortunately it strips away the variety of different modes, making it more of a drop-in arcade score chaser. It earned a thoroughly commendable 8/10 in our SpeedX 3D Hyper Edition review, but is potentially far more attractive to newcomers than those considering a double-dip.

3DS Virtual Console

The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages (Nintendo, £5.39 / €5.99) — Already confirmed for North America this week, this is one part of the much anticipated dual arrival of the highly regarded Zelda Oracle Game Boy Color titles. We'll be reviewing this fresh 3DS release soon.

The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Nintendo, £5.39 / €5.99) — The other half of the double bill, and when owned alongside Oracle of Ages will enable the original Game Boy Color link cable functionality on the 3DS, unlocking tweaks in the experience and an all-new end boss. Watch out for our upcoming review.

3DS Virtual Console Discount

The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages (Nintendo, £4.49 / €4.99 until 20th June, normally €5.99)

The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Nintendo, £4.49 / €4.99 until 20th June, normally €5.99)

3DS Retail Download

Mario & Sonic at the London Olympic Games (SEGA, £24.99 / €39.99)

Wii Virtual Console

The King of Fighters '98 (D4 Enterprise, 900 Nintendo Points) — It's Neo Geo fighting goodness, once again, and perhaps something we shouldn't take for granted on the Wii platform. This is considered by many as the definitive entry in this particular series, and it serves to provide players with some of the most popular fighters from the franchise. You can check out our glowing recommendation in our The King of Fighters '98 review

So there you have it, not the longest list of downloadable goodies but one packed with goodies. Let us know your download plans in the poll and comments below.

A special thanks to Daan Koopman (NintenDaan) for the translated details from the German press release.

What will you be downloading first this week? (246 votes)

Ghosts 'n Goblins (Wii U Virtual Console)

Toki Tori 2 (Wii U eShop temporary discount)

Chasing Aurora (Wii U eShop permanent discount)

The Denpa Men 2: Beyond the Waves (3DS eShop)

SpeedX 3D Hyper Edition (3DS eShop)

The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages (3DS Virtual Console)

38%

The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (3DS Virtual Console)

20%

Mario & Sonic at the London Olympic Games (3DS retail download)

The King of Fighters '98 (Wii Virtual Console)

Nothing for me this week

20%

Please login to vote in this poll.

SilentHunter382

SilentHunter382 said:

Nice that the oracle games have been added. I already have the cartridges so I won't be getting them but I wonder if they include the GBA shop.

Windy

Windy said:

Im buying the DenpaMen 2 and Zelda Seasons this week. Dang all the chain gaming is killing me

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

"It's mostly about the Wii U and 3DS this week"
...What else would it be about? >.>

I'm still following my no 3DS/DS rule at the moment with exams still to go, but I'll pick up the Oracle games as soon as I can!

Luffymcduck

Luffymcduck said:

I already have original copies of both Zeldas. I want a european release date for Shantae.:P

Mr_Vengeance

Mr_Vengeance said:

Great to see the Oracle games up there, but people should not forget the mighty King of Fighters '98 is out on Wii too!!

SanderEvers

SanderEvers said:

Legend Of Zelda, Legend Of Zelda

And...

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!
I just knew we were going to get it just as the US :)

CrazyOtto

CrazyOtto said:

Why are they re-releasing Mario & Sonic at London? Didn't the London Olympics end a while ago?

scotty30717

scotty30717 said:

I know you only translated this but can you please put up the UK prices. We use £'s here instead of €'s.

Hunter-D

Hunter-D said:

Very good week. Tempted by most of the downloads. Hmmm

The oracle games, maybe the G&G games, maybe Toki Tori 2.

Dpullam

Dpullam said:

There are quite a few quality games that I need to pick up on the eshop. I just don't have the money!

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

Zelda games should be about £4.50 each before the discount. Maybe £8 for the two after the discount?

RupeeClock

RupeeClock said:

Oracle of Ages and Seasons are absolute classics, but I'll hold off on getting these again to be honest.
Denpamen 2 looks interesting, but I'm already so much more invested in PMD3D and Fire Emblem awakening that I don't think I need it either.

ToxieDogg

ToxieDogg said:

Both Zeldas. :D I have the carts already and have completed them both (twice each as well, I've done Ages first then linked to Seasons, then done Seasons first and linked to Ages to see all the slight differences :P ) but it'll be nice to know the game saves will be intact indefinitely, as opposed to worrying about how the battery back up on my carts will be holding up the next time I decide to go back to them.....

deKay

deKay said:

What happened to the "Buy both Zeldas, get a discount" deal we were promised?

Beta

Beta said:

Both LoZ games, Denpamen 2 and FE DLC... Oh God... I can hear my wallet crying >.<

Marshi

Marshi said:

Never played the oracle games.Have they dated,like the original Zelda?Or will still be a treat,like link to the past? Overall are they worth getting if no nostalgic value will be gained?

timp29

timp29 said:

Why Nintendo why?? Having different releases between US and EU just causes upset people. Unify your releases. Forget region locking. Blarg!

cmk8

cmk8 said:

With Aurora getting a permanent discount what will Ninty do from now on? Discounting that game every other week seemed to their e-shop fall back.
Maybe some new games will come out...

Adhrast

Adhrast said:

@Marshi As far as I know, the two Oracles are widely regarded among the very best Zelda games, and most probably the best handheld games in the series.
They're better than Link's Awakening, I'm told, and Link's Awakening is beautiful and it has aged really well.

Mk_II

Mk_II said:

Already own both the Oracle games and the chance that i'll get around to actually playing them is close to zero. So, nothing for me this week

KillerGBH

KillerGBH said:

I'm jealous those Zelda game so awesome, wish i had a 3ds . Hope Wii U get Zelda games soon .

Captain_Balko

Captain_Balko said:

Despite the fact that I already own both Oracle games as cartridges, I'm going to pick them up for my 3DS. Frankly, I rarely have a chance to play my GBC games any more, and I'm sure I'll be playing these a lot in between sessions of DK Country Returns 3D (and Animal Crossing: New Leaf when it is released).

BakaKnight

BakaKnight said:

Since I already played the oracles and not much long ago, all my interest is focused on Denpa man 2.
Still I need to beat the first game before considering to get this new one XD

Jakurdo

Jakurdo said:

Gotta get me some eShop cards, never owned any of the Oracle games (sadly). Getting them for 5 euros a piece seems a steal!

Yoshi3DS

Yoshi3DS said:

speaking of mario & sonic i've just 100% fully completed the game this very minute. it's quite difficult and confusing(getting 10 star rating for medleys) but i'd be happy to help anyone with any trouble with the game because i finally figured it out.

and this may seem like an extremely stupid question because i dont know much about the history of zelda games, but are those 2 games opposites like with pokemon games, or is one a sequel to the other:/

GamerZack87

GamerZack87 said:

I added funds to both my 3DS' eShop wallets for this very reason! And it looks as though the discount is for every region, not just NTSC territories. That means I can pick up a couple of NES games along with the two greatest handheld Zelda games, which have yet to be topped! :D

Oh boy, getting to play through Crown Dungeon again! Getting repeatedly stuck with the colour-based switch puzzles! B-)

ToxieDogg

ToxieDogg said:

@Yoshi3DS With Pokemon, you get 2 games that are basically exactly the same (map, storyline, etc.) asides from a few Pokemon that are unique to each game. The 2 Zelda Oracles games have completely different storylines/characters/overworld maps/dungeons/bosses etc, so are effectively 2 different games. However, when you complete one, it gives you a passcode that can be entered at the start of the other game in order to continue your adventure (some characters from the game you played first will appear in the other game), and this is also the only way to unlock the final 'true' boss fight and 'proper' ending.

On another note, Seasons seems a much more action orientated game, whereas Ages contains a lot more puzzles. They compliment each other really nicely :)

Dyl_73

Dyl_73 said:

@MrSRArter
It's called 'milking it'. They try sell it at full price on the eshop even though you can get for about a tenner second hand. The download versions would sell in much better numbers if the price was reduced a bit.

Dyl_73

Dyl_73 said:

Both zelda games for me. I never got the chance to play them previously.

Lobster

Lobster said:

Why isn't there an option for "both Zelda games?" Can you make sure there is that option on the NA download this week at least? Because that's what I'm going to be selecting if it's available.

dadajo

dadajo said:

I would choose both oracle games, but since I can only choose one on the poll I guess I'll go with ages. (After flipping a coin)

DarkNinja9

DarkNinja9 said:

i thought the zelda games were going to be on wii u? :( there goes my download wtf wish our accounts were linked from wii u to 3ds =[

melonarius

melonarius said:

Everyone, play Seasons first. There's a cute side plot that ties up a little nicer when you play it in that order.

RedYoshi999

RedYoshi999 said:

Both Oracle games for me (yay discounts!) Yet another week where the Wii U VC is completely ignored by me for being terrible. It's a joke that games are still releasing on Wii VC while Wii U is slowly playing catch up. And it's about time Chasing Aurora got a permanent discount, it goes on sale at least once a month :P

FOURSIDE_BOY

FOURSIDE_BOY said:

There should be another option: BOTH ZELDA MASTERPIECES instead of choosing one individually; but to be honest ages is the superior one as it has mermaid's cave, hands down, my favorite zelda dungeon of all time.

Fudgewhizzle

Fudgewhizzle said:

Both TLoZ: Oracle games and maybe I'll get those Capcom games on my Wii U, just for the hell of it. :P

allav866

allav866 said:

Of course I'm getting both Oracle games, but which will I download first...?
Seasons... or Ages...
Seasons... or Ages...
Seasons... or Ages...
Aaaaaargh!! Why can't I choose both?!

Dyl_73

Dyl_73 said:

@Placlu
It's already out in Europe. I tried it and hated it. Definitely not to my liking. I love strategy games like fire emblem and advance wars, and enjoy beat em upa, but didn't like PXZ at all.

Placlu

Placlu said:

@Dyl_73 He asked for the second Demo. :)
Personally I like it a hell of alot more than fire emblem. Tho awakening is my first, and i'm only 4 chapters in :D

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

The UK prices have now been added, as well as confirmation that Ghosts 'n Goblins in the 60Hz US version.

Yoshi3DS

Yoshi3DS said:

@ToxieDogg WOW! that actually sounds really good! i have only ever played 2 zelda games in my entire life(oot3d and spirit tracks) and i have found them both really, really good. i think i might get these, seen as everyone seems to think that they are very good

but is there any chance of gamboy games(not advance) appearing on the wii u, because even though i dont own one yet, i'd probably rather have them on wii u than 3ds

RetroGBHippie92

RetroGBHippie92 said:

I'm getting The Denpa Men 2, I've been waiting for ages for this beauty of a gem.
Man, I've got a ton of games to play through this weekend, already finished the main storyline of Pokemon Mystery Dungeon in about 40 hours (but I got ages to go to unlock all the ranks and customize my pokemon paradise. I also got Solatorobo to playthrough as well, so i'm all set.

RetrogamerFan

RetrogamerFan said:

Both Zeldas for me, I've never played them before so I'm very excited about them.
Hmm... 50% off G'n'G is tempting as i did already d/l super G'n'G. However I already have G'n'G for 3DS, so if i get it at all it will only be whilst it's on sale.
Maybe Toki Tori 2, quite tempting now it's on sale, it looks like a pretty good game. However, i wasn't a huge fan of the original (GBC version), the puzzles and controls really didn't 'click' with me and i found it a frustrating chore to,play.

Zeldalover

Zeldalover said:

Both Oracle games. They're worth every penny. Even more.. way more... and they continue to go up...

TheAdrock

TheAdrock said:

Anything new from Zelda and I'm first in line. I'm a total sucker for Zelda games, ever since 1986.

Thats-what-shy

Thats-what-shy said:

Love that the 2D Zeldas are making their way onto the 3DS! I've played them all from start to finish (even Zelda II) and some several times over.

Sadly, as much as I've tried, I've just never been able to get into the 3D Zeldas. I'm not sure what's wrong with me.

Megaman256

Megaman256 said:

I'm glad they are finally coming out with the Zelda Oracle Games. Never had a chance to play them so I can't wait to download. I wish they would eventually have a remake of the games with better graphics in HD. That would be awesome if they can develope the 3rd game which they originally wanted. That way you can play all 3 games to be interconnect and join the Triforce. This would be something Zelda fans would be interested in.

suburban_sensei

suburban_sensei said:

Cool to see the Oracle games being released. Not going to buy them right away, but I will have it on my "to-do list". Since I am just getting a 3DS, I have a lot of catching up to do! I had Ages back in the day, so I am not sure if I should stick with that or try Seasons instead. Anybody recommend one over the other?

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

@suburban_sensei I remember liking Seasons more than Ages, but that's just me. Seasons is more battle focused and Ages is more puzzle focused. They're both great games, and I recommend getting both. :)

I'll be interested to see if I can finish Ages this time around. I got stuck at the sixth dungeon on the original version .

Boyoshi

Boyoshi said:

I found ages at a swapmeet a while back played it, finished it and loved it. I still got the code so I'll be playing the hero's mode on seasons... EXCITED. :D