Nintendo Download: 16th February 2012 (North America)

Posted by James Newton

Strider is here!

Update: Looks like this is the full list, dudes and dudettes.

3DS Virtual Console

Super Mario Bros. (NES, $4.99) — Yes, the earlier 3DS Ambassador update was just a prelude to Nintendo releasing Super Mario Bros. on 3DS for non-Ambassadors. Do you really need a review to know if this is worth getting? We'll write one anyway.

Wii Virtual Console

Strider (Genesis, Capcom/SEGA, 800pts) — The long-awaited 16-bit version of Strider finally hits the Virtual Console! Strider Hiryu will be slashing and jumping his way around later today. Will you be buying it?

3DS Demo

Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D (Konami, free) — Ahead of Snake's first appearance on a Nintendo handheld in years, Konami's released a free trial of its jungle stealth action game.

DSiWare

iSpot Japan (EnjoyUp, 200pts) — Spot the difference in Japan; that's pretty much all there is to it. We'll have a full review soon.

Wii Shop Channel

Hulu Plus (Free) — Hulu Plus arrives on Wii, allowing TV and movie streaming for those who subscribe to the service for $7.99 a month, while non-subscribers can enjoy a free two-week trial.

What's on your radar?

Related Games

DazzaAdmin

Dazza said:

Strider, finally! I can't believe its taken over 5 years for Capcom to sort this one out. Such a great game.

For those too young to remember this, please don't judge this on the awful 'beefcake' US artwork! Here's how Strider should be remembered :D

Untitled

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

Too bad there's no Wario Land this week for us, but it's nice to see the Wii's VC getting something new again.

James

James said:

"Bear in mind this is currently an incomplete version of the Nintendo Download"

Wario Land might still come today.

Juampi

Juampi said:

You should state that this list is incomplete in the article title. Most people just jump right to the list itself.

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

The difference in Japan ? Ninty loves its customers there. /me sees iSpot Japan's credits roll

robohobo93

robohobo93 said:

Just bought Pushmo and Kirby's Adventure on Tuesday. Made sure to save my last $6 in hopes that we get Wario Land today. Definitely getting the MGS Demo either way.

Flowerlark

Flowerlark said:

I think I'll skip this week's downloads. S'okay since I just DLed Donkey Kong and picked up Tales of the Abyss at Gamestop. Gee, reminds me that I still have to finish Tales of Phantasia. O_O

Jade773

Jade773 said:

Bcuz they released super mario bros, does this mean that they will release the ambassador titles as well? I mean I can understand they only created it for the most loyal fans who were able to afford it, but I like gba and snes as much as anyone. I wud feel a little cheated if they weren't released to ppl who bought the 3ds after the price drop

Yellowgerbil

Yellowgerbil said:

Europe hopefully getting Mutant Mudds today, I need to get that game with my spare six pounds.

ocarinaoftime

ocarinaoftime said:

Is that a wii vc game i see.....wow that is hard to believe....good to see the vc back... now alison needs to get her but back on nintendo week....

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

Awe, wow, Wii VC lives! A 3DS demo, 3DSVC, & WiiVC,... I def call this a great d/l week. :) But, I probably won't get anything now, as I only have 300pts on my Wii Shop, & I just d/ld Rythmik Retrobits.

Nintendo of America, if any of your employees are reading this, this is the kind of week that makes me satisfied I own a Wii, & 3DS! :)

Edit: @ocarinaoftime didn't know she was missing, since I haven't watched it for some time. But yeah, Alison is (puts-fist-at-mouth-&-makes-train-whistle-sound) hot!

CosmoXY

CosmoXY said:

Good update this week. NES on 3DS VC, Wii VC and a Demo. Should make people happy. If Wario Land comes even better, but we'll live if it doesn't make it out this week.

Kid_A

Kid_A said:

Does that mean Super Mario Bros. gets VC functions for ambassadors? That'd be nice.

Whopper744

Whopper744 said:

Well that's cool...took a while...and I do feel a little less special for being an Ambassador now. :p Then again, it's not going to cost me 5 bucks.

WanderFan91

WanderFan91 said:

Well, better late than never, I guess
Nice to see Strider finally hit the Western Virtual Console; I played it on Capcom Classics Collection Remixed for the PSP, and I think it's a neat ninja game :)

Cipher

Cipher said:

@longtimegamer NOA still hasn't confirmed the final list so there may still be some more titles coming today, or there might not be. They're just being lazy so-and-sos today. :P

Zantagor

Zantagor said:

@Cipher Actually, the article was updated saying this is the full list.
Sigh, still no La-Mulana.... this is becoming a joke at this point. I'm about to bet the PC version will come out before the Wiiware version at this point.

Objection

Objection said:

Well, if Wario had landed today, it would have been one of the better updates in a while. However, with actual VC, an update to SMB (and people can buy it now) with the MGS3 demo, it's still a pretty good update.

Lalivero

Lalivero said:

I do not see an option to get the MGS demo, is it just not up yet?

EDIT: Oh yeah, doesn't the eshop update at like noon EST?

TeeJay

TeeJay said:

I'll have to wait a few more hours to download the MGS demo, as the eShop hasn't updated yet here. As for Super Mario Bros. I'll definitely be getting that when I have the cash. It was one of the few NES games I actually played when I had my ambassador 3DS.

motang

motang said:

Wait, lemme scratch my eyes...is that Wii VC game I see! OMG it's Strider! :D

Ryno

Ryno said:

Strider!!! Wow, one of the greatest updates in a long, long time.

DarkEdi

DarkEdi said:

Is this true? America getting a VC game?? I will download it today so they can notice people wishes more VC games.

Lunapplebloom

Lunapplebloom said:

I will be getting that demo. Already got Super Mario Bros. since I'm an ambassador, but good to see other people can get it now. Strider looks interesting, I may get that. Glad to see the Wii VC isn't completely dead.

cyrus_zuo

cyrus_zuo said:

Happy Strider day!
...still wish it was the arcade version, but I'll pick it up. I've been asking for this one for 5 years!

grumblegrumble

grumblegrumble said:

Oh wow, I was so excited, I thought that Strider was coming out for the 3DS VC, went to the e-shop and realized it wasn't there and i was mistaken lol ;)

grumblebuzzz

grumblebuzzz said:

I'm a little disappointed by this week's update in that we didn't really get anything at all on 3DS aside from the Metal Gear demo and the Mario update. Seems kinda lazy. It would have been a good day to throw Wario Land at us to fill the void. I'd like to get the Metal Gear demo but I'd have to erase my Resident Evil one to have room and I'm not ready to let it go yet. :p
Also, I'm not familiar with Strider so its release does nothing for me.

NiaLovesNinty

NiaLovesNinty said:

I want Strider, but I'm afraid to buy anything from the Wii Shop until I know if these games will transfer over to Wii U.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

You probably only get one a month now, just like Europe. I wouldn't expect them regular again.

brandonbwii

brandonbwii said:

:o :o :o A Wii VC game released in NA? And one worth buying at that? Be still my heart! :)

FYI, I Spot Japan is from EnjoyUp, not Enjoy. There's a pretty big difference there. Especially when it comes to quality releases.

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

@grumblebuzzz

And the fact that everyone and their mother is excited about it doesn't give you the slightest inkling that it might be something you'd want to look into? Because it might be a good game? And it might be something worth getting excited about? You're just gonna ignore it because it's something you you don't already know about? Okay then...

shonenjump86

shonenjump86 said:

Having Super Mario Bros on Wii VC is enough. Although I have it on the 3DS for the ambassador thing, I do not play it much. Gonna try out the Metal Gear demo. Played Strider on one of the Capcom Arcade Classics. Did not really care for that much. A pretty cool guy to use on the MVC games though. :)

grumblebuzzz

grumblebuzzz said:

@GundamMac I just have never heard of it. And I don't download games to my Wii much anymore since I don't have internet connected to it here at my apartment. If they'd said Yoshi's Island or Earthbound, that might have warranted me unhooking my system and taking it over to a friend's house to download but some game I'm not familiar with at all, not so much. Not saying Strider is a bad game or anything, just that I'm not excited about it like you guys are.

FluttershyGuy

FluttershyGuy said:

FINALLY, the Virtual Console HAS COME BACK to the Wiiiiiiii! All I can say is it's about time we had another VC game. I've already bought it, and for a Genesis game it's amazingly close to the arcade version! Even minimal difference in the music! Also, is this the first time to have a Wii and 3DS VC release in the same week (technically we got a new 3DS VC, since SMB was only available to Ambassadors before)? One drawback for those of us who are Ambassadors. In any given week, we only get one 3DS VC game (if that). Today, they released SMB and nothing else. That likely means nine individual weeks of nothing new 3DS VC-wise for Ambassadors, as the remaining nine games we received are released to the public (and presumably the same when Nintendo gets around to releasing GBA games). We do get the updated versions for free, though, so there is that.

@NiaLovesNinty
Honestly, the transfer of our Wii Shop games to Wii U is a concern of mine too, but they did do transfers from DSi to 3DS. So, there is precedence for transfers with Nintendo systems. I don't have any more plug-in space behind my TV, or in my power strip, so I'm counting on Wii U completely taking Wii's place (unless I disconnect something).

@ecco6t9
Strider is a series that gets sequels few and far between. It took like 10 years from the original's release before there was an OFFICIAL Strider 2 from Capcom. Now it's been well over 10 years since we saw that sequel. I love the Strider games, and hope we see a sequel on 3DS or anywhere else one day.

Yanchamaru

Yanchamaru said:

I love playing the arcade version of Strider in Capcom Classics Collection 2. Still deciding if I should download it on the VC

jhuhn

jhuhn said:

Strider becomes the first SEGA Genesis game to be re-released on the Wii Virtual Console in two years.

Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko said:

Just who is that white 80's hollywood action star on the cover? Looks nothing like Hiryu.

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

Finally a Wii Virutal Console game, and a good one no less. I'll be picking that up for sure and downloading the MGS demo. I don't use Hulu but I guess for some it's a nice new addition.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

Pardon my language but HOLY S*** a Wii VC game?? :O Now lets just keep it up with a Wii VC game every other week like it use to be and I will take back my words that the Wii VC is dead.

Nice to also seen the ambassador games finally available cant wait for the GBA ones to be available to the public.

Also been wanting to try the MGS demo as well. Looks like a great week for the Eshop and Wiishop now if only it will happen more often.

WolfRamHeart

WolfRamHeart said:

I didn't expect to see a Virtual Console game show up on the Wii today, let alone something as awesome as Strider. Great update for the Wii but not much on the 3DS for me this week. Metal Gear demo is cool but I already have Super Mario Bros via the Ambassador program.

ker-plop

ker-plop said:

I'm very happy to see the Wii's VC up and running again. Hopefully it'll continue getting weekly updates.

Knuckles

Knuckles said:

Darn it i dont have enough money for SMB and i dont have any money darn you 5 dollar price tag!!!!!!!

Birdman

Birdman said:

Being an Ambassador, I'll take the MGS demo (which I'm not that interested in) and grumble about not getting Wario Land this week.

LordJumpMad

LordJumpMad said:

I already got that lame Mario game for being an useless Ambassador.
Might as well download MGS 3D

kdognumba1

kdognumba1 said:

WOW the US artwork for Strider is bad lol

Anyways I'll probably be picking it up. Loving the MGS3D demo

Dodger

Dodger said:

Super Mario Bros. is lame? The comments section gets more and more ridiculous every update here. I have it already on Wii and 3DS but it is a really fun game and I actually managed to beat 8-3 with the suspend points. Those hammer bros. are the only cheap thing about the game. Other then that, it actually feels surprisingly like a modern game.

And as far as the Ambassador program, it would be lame if I didn't enjoy Zelda 1, Super Mario Bros, Metroid Prime, Yoshi's Island, Fire Emblem, Mario vs Donkey Kong, Mario Kart: Super Circuit (like it better then Super Mario Kart due to the less frustrating controls even though I like both games), I even like Open Tourney Golf, Ice Climber and Balloon Fight. I got introduced to a lot of games I wouldn't of ever tried without the Ambassador program when I was getting the 3DS before August anyways. I thought it was a clever way to keep their fans happy during a slow time and take their minds off of the price drop. People who are upset that the games aren't out for non ambassadors yet can remember they saved $80 or so on the 3DS.

WanderFan91

WanderFan91 said:

Yeah, I concur with Dazza, the Japanese boxart for the MegaDrive adaptation of Strider is a lot better than the American one

TheGreenSpiny

TheGreenSpiny said:

@grumblebuzzz: That "beefcake" cover is all the help you need in deciding that you should be interested in the game. ;)

@peacefulLuma91: What are you talking about? That NA cover for Strider is a work of art! :D The only way that thing could be better is if they used Fabio as the model.

RR529

RR529 said:

Got the MGS demo! Don't have the CPP, but I still found it to be quite enjoyable.

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

Super Mario Brothers, best game ever made! I'll be downloading this ASAP - best part about it, I didn't have to pay for it thanks to the Ambassador program. Will also D/L the MGS demo, but I probably have to delete RE or M&S to make room 0on my already stuffed 2Gb SD card (the M&S demo sucked anyway).

gusmento01

gusmento01 said:

Been waiting a long time for the Mega Drive version of Strider, I played this game for hours back in 1992.

DarkEdi

DarkEdi said:

We need back the flag country in our nickname. I don´t know if an european talks wishing Strider, or an american talks congratulating the VC revive. I´m from Mexico and I´m very glad and i wish next week doesn´t die again the VC.

Rm88

Rm88 said:

Please, please, let the Rayman Origins demo be released next week. Along with either Kirby's Block Ball or Wario Land.

Darkone008

Darkone008 said:

I love Strider. I'm getting it now. I would like to see Ranger X on the Wii's VC at some point.

Kitsune_Rei

Kitsune_Rei said:

Was Hulu eventually going to make it to 3DS? Maybe it'd run better, I was disappointed with it on Xbox.

Hopefully they'll eventually get to a demo for a game I'd care about. So far, nope.

The_Ink_Pit_Ox

The_Ink_Pit_Ox said:

We lost R-Type for the Master System but not the Turbografx. No loss.
We lost TMNT but gained Strider. Makes the VC better.

No worries.

SNK

SNK said:

why the hell are they bringing the inferior Megadrive version out when they could Bring the Original Arcade Version instead,it just doesnt make any sence at all?

JusticeColde

JusticeColde said:

Even though I made a pledge never to pay for or play a Capcom game ever again, I am likely to get this game...Ehhhhhhhhhhhhh I will hate myself for it, though.