Iwata: We Will Do Paid Download Content for Wii U and 3DS

Posted by James Newton

But no word on what

Extra downloadable content is a fertile field for developers, allowing them to extend the appeal of their game long after it's left the charts. While some Wii games allowed for paid DLC under the system's "Pay and Play" feature, it was never really a big focus for the console, something Nintendo president Satoru Iwata is keen to change with the company's new machines.

During a recent investors Q&A translated by Andriasang, Iwata spoke of both 3DS and Wii U getting paid DLC in the future, with the service available to 3DS developers by the end of the year. That doesn't necessarily mean we'll see downloadable add-ons to purchase this year, though.

Nintendo's not quite sure how it's going to use this service for itself: Iwata and right-hand man Shigeru Miyamoto are interested in adding on extra stages and new features, but aren't so keen on paying to unlock content already on the disc, statistic increases and so on. Iwata feels that these kinds of downloads would not allow Nintendo to "build a long term relationship with customers", something on the forefront of the company's collective mind considering the 3DS's fortunes of late.

Will we see new quests in future Zelda games or extra stages to prolong Mario's adventures? Only time will tell.

[via andriasang.com]

TeeJay

TeeJay said:

Is it just me or is the picture not loading? :|

Anyway, this is a stretch, but I would love to see some new places open up the open empty field that is Hyrule field, with some dungeons and new weapons/magic to find and whatnot.

EarthboundBenjy

EarthboundBenjy said:

I agree with Nintendo. I don't like the idea of DLC for things that are alreay on the disc. I also don't like DLC that just unlocks things for lazy people who would otherwise need to beat an in-game challenge to unlock a game mode, or whatever.

Extra stuff developed after the release of the game is what DLC should be for, and I belive Nintendo won't disappoint with this.

daznsaz

daznsaz said:

the ideas always seemed like a rip off to me would have to see what its like when up and running

MasterGraveheart

MasterGraveheart said:

Interesting. Still, I hope they stick with cash cards like they've been doing with 3DS. I don't really like using a credit card unless I have to.

@TeeJay: It's not just you. :(

Dynetheous

Dynetheous said:

Mario kart tracks((( new stages in super maio land 3D(((( and if we get SSB, new characters and stages :3

erv

erv said:

Infinite monster hunter wiiU awesomeness.

Make that game a badass game please. I'm waiting.

edit: by the way, does this mean that I'm best off hanging a usb terabyte drive onto my wiiU? Would make sense, imagine a call of duty expansion pack or a monster hunter monsters pack - those aren't small files at all. I hope they think their storage through, properly. And +1 to not allow lazy / rich people to be able to buy their way through. I pay for content only.

SanderEvers

SanderEvers said:

New Zelda game:

For the next dungeon you must pay 10 euro/dollar/whatever to enter.

If Nintendo does THAT I will destroy every single Nintendo game I own.

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

And with that statement, Nintendo goes over to the Dark Side.

I hate paid DLC. You know it's stuff they purposely held from initial release to squeeze more out of the consumer later.

I feel like every decision Nintendo is making lately is making me like them less and less.

SanderEvers

SanderEvers said:

@17: Not true most of the times. Like extra characters or modes for games that usually would require to buy a new game. (Arcade mode for SSF4 for example)

I do, however, have mixed feelings about it. It could go wrong as I said earlier. But they could also make it truly awesome.

Arcanum

Arcanum said:

I agree with more stages on Mario Kart AND if a New Super Mario Bros. 3DS comes out...well I would Be soooooooooo happy for DLC on that too.

Also @erv .....Godly my friend. That would be godly.

Ernest_The_Crab

Ernest_The_Crab said:

I'd rather they allowed for level creation for games like New Super Mario Bros. and multiplayer Zelda games. I'm pretty sure that allow for more longevity than the actual downloadable content.

komicturtle

komicturtle said:

Well, it's good I guess. I kinda like Nintendo giving some free DLC (or sticking with it), but it sounds like their DLC will have more substance than Capcom charging a pretty penny for costumes for characters :3

Omenapoika

Omenapoika said:

That's a great point, not to unlock content already on the disc... It would simply feel like cheating! You purchase something and can't use it unless you pay more?

Extra stages would be great, I sincerely hope they go well beyond and make real new content, like Red dead redemption did with Zombies... Loved that.

Xkhaoz

Xkhaoz said:

As long as they don't abuse it, and make it meaningful, like to pump new life into a dead online game. Also, PATCHES PLEASE.

J-Forest-Esq

J-Forest-Esq said:

Gah. I hate DLC. I can accept it if the game itself is free, but from Nintendo I just want to buy a game and be able to play all of its' content without having to fork over more cash at periodic intervals. That way you might as well put a price-tag of £60 on Mario Kart 7 or even £70 on Mario Land 3D, it's just a subtle way of gleaning more money from a customer. Very irritating. On the flip side, they could somehow make it worthwhile, but I haven't figured out how yet. Even if it's cheap it will still annoy me.

Peznaze

Peznaze said:

Sounds interesting, they seem to know what about DLC perturbs fans, so maybe this won't be concentrated evil like all other DLC... somehow.

TeeJay

TeeJay said:

You guys. The data won't already be in the game. Nintendo will create new content and THEN we'll pay for it. It's not like Nintendo is purposefully holding content for ransom.

Platypus

Platypus said:

DLC seems cool but nowadays it's a nightmare. Most developers make a game and on the day of release put out paid content that obviously could of been on the original game.

Traxx

Traxx said:

If DLC is only utilized to really extend the game experience with stuff they couldn't all have in the original release, I won't complain, as long as the pricing is reasonable. But I hope they keep up the free DLC the 3DS is already offering.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

This could be very good if used right. People have always wanted DLC for Mario Kart, and it might be a very real possiblity for Super Smash Bros. 4. I approve.

Teh-Ray

Teh-Ray said:

Wait, isn't this what Play Coins are for?

Also, I think I remember reading somewhere that Nintendo themselves won't be using this feature, but will rather let third party companies have the option.

shinobi88

shinobi88 said:

YEEEEEEESSSSSS!!!! Downloadable content is the DREAM of a game fan. If there's a game you fall in luv w/ (b/c your luck w/ chicks ain't so hot), it's like Christmas mornin when they offer new levels to download. You're basically gettin a cheap sequel. Nintendo has been way to strict w/ their online stuff, so I'm glad to see they're loosenin up. But I also like how they're regulatin it to keep the downloadable trash off there. But...there will eventually be that thing called 3DSWare, right?

Cipher

Cipher said:

I don't expect Nintendo to make use of paid DLC, personally - I would think this was mainly for third-party developers.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

See this is the stuff that Nintendo should have been offering with the Wii to keep up with Microsoft and Sony. I mean the motion control was great at first and exciting but you can only ride that train for a bit and Nintendo counted on that alone to put them ahead of the console wars.

Its nice that they are thinking about DLC and HD now but I fear it might just be a little too late.

Dynetheous

Dynetheous said:

monster hunter Wii U DLC!! new monsters and unlimited fun! tho..if i have to pay i could care less about monster hunter. and then i would buy the psvita just for monster hunter

Birdman

Birdman said:

"Iwata and right-hand man Shigeru Miyamoto are interested in adding on extra stages and new features, but aren't so keen on paying to unlock content already on the disc." I'm sold. Anyone else?

chronicler

chronicler said:

Now I know that this might sound controversial, but I think I would rather have DLC on the card or disc, because that means that the hard drive or SD card will have more space. This way, I can download more games and have more space for them to go, while still having all of my DLC I pay for.

SKTTR

SKTTR said:

I hope with DLC they mean the continuation of the Wii Shop (Virtual Console, WiiWare, Channels/Apps, and WiiUWare).

If it is Pay&Play I'm not going to support this idea. It's just taking away money that could be spend on full games.

chronicler

chronicler said:

@Teh-Ray
Play coins are more to encourage the use of the 3DS as a pedometer and just access unlockables in the game, not necessarily DLC, since it is made readily available.

DrKarl

DrKarl said:

Also, no patches!

I am not going to going to pay money to be a beta tester. I got fed up with that years ago on the PC. If it takes extra time to find and quash all of the bugs, I don't care. That's what I am paying for when I purchase a game.

Robo-goose

Robo-goose said:

As long as the DLC is substantial, and not that should have been there at release, than I'll accept this as good news.
If they try to pull any "This new update will make the gameplay the way it was supposed to be at launch!" crap, then I'm out.

RudysaurusRex

RudysaurusRex said:

YEAH! More game content! I just hope they don't overprice it like CoD DLC.
15.00 for 5 maps? NU-UH.

SuperSpank

SuperSpank said:

Yeah extra characters and circuits in MarioKart 7 and PLEASE add new characters for smash bros. 3DS/WIIU by dlc

JarredBuzzo

JarredBuzzo said:

More tracks, carts and characters on Mario Kart 7 and the inevitable Wii iteration of Mario Kart would be sweet. The Smash Bros. series could get more arenas and characters as well as costumes. It would be pretty sweet to see new levels in Super Mario 3D Land for download as well, priced at maybe $.99 US for a pack of 3 or 4 levels.

Bensei

Bensei said:

I wouldn't be angry if they gave us 16 new and 16 bestof-old tracks in Mario Kart and then charge around 5€ for another retro pack (16 tracks, 20 on GBA and SNES).

But I guess the paid content is more like a move for third-party developers, so that they don't have to do any extra-programming for multi-consoleros.

NSBlueLighing

NSBlueLighing said:

Only real DLC needed for Nintendo first party games Are tracks and or karts for Mario Kart, Stages and or moves in Super Smash Bros and maybe a side story with quests in Legend of Zelda.

Swiket

Swiket said:

Paid DLC isn't necessarily bad. Look at the Fallout 3 packs or some of the Mass Effect 2 DLC. The content can justify the cost.

ecco6t9

ecco6t9 said:

Thing is, that the 3rd parties and Facebook/Mobile developers have shown gross abuse of this system.

Swiket

Swiket said:

@DrKarl: No matter what happens, there's going to be small bugs that the devs can't find. Stop acting so entitled that you won't even allow the devs to patch their own game.

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

This should be fun. With the way Nintendo has nickel and dimed its consumers for years I can't wait to see what they'll be offering. They may make the slop Crapcom offers seem reasonable. But Nintendo's fanbase doesn't mind getting it up the rear from them so whatever.

Glade

Glade said:

As long as the dlc is worth the price I'll buy it. And as long as it is not locked content on a disk

Dynetheous

Dynetheous said:

i still think that monster hunter on the 3ds is a good idea, and with the dlc there could be new downloaded monsters, quests, weapons and armor. it would never get old :3 i just hope capcom and do it, but my gut tells me that there not going to do it.

NassaDane

NassaDane said:

Well I like that they are respectful with the DLC but even if it’s new content I can't justify paying for some kind of data only thing to add on to my games. I can't get behind this and hope Nintendo stays away from things like this.

Tare

Tare said:

Most DLC on the computer = :D Yay!
Most DLC on consoles = :/ Mreh...

Crunchy_in_milk

Crunchy_in_milk said:

So long as Nintendo does meaningful dlc that isn't on the disc already, then I'm just fine with this. None of that 99 cents for a costume that doesn't affect gameplay at all.

At the very least, this'll make it easier to get more 3rd party support for Nintendo.

SunnySnivy

SunnySnivy said:

It has a possibility of being extremely annoying, or really cool.

So we'll just have to wait and see.

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

As with anything Nintendo does regarding online, I think extremely annoying is much more likely than really cool.

Henmii

Henmii said:

"but aren't so keen on paying to unlock content already on the disc"

I agree: If it's on the disc, you have already payed for it!

chronicler

chronicler said:

Why is everyone opposed to locked content on a disc? I get that you want what you pay for, but that's extra, and if the DLC is on the disc, you'll have more memory space on the SD card for the 3DS and Wii U. As long as I get my content, I don't really see why it bothers people so much. Can somebody help me out? Am I the only one that thinks this?

EarthboundBenjy

EarthboundBenjy said:

@chronicler Because, if the content has already been made, then why not just let the people who buy the game see the content? By locking some of the game, it's just a way to charge the consumer more money for the same content.
DLC makes sense to fix bugs, and DLC makes sense to add extras to a popular game. But if the content was planned to be included in the game from day one, charging to unlock it just forces users to pay more for the full game.

TKOWL

TKOWL said:

Yes, Nintendo is finally embracing something that has existed for years now.

Sh00kst3r

Sh00kst3r said:

@chronicler
I agree and disagree.
The idea for extra space so you can make sure your DLC can be downloaded is an excellent idea. But it's like what EarthboundBenjy said, then they'd just be milking it.

And we all know how gamers are with money.

Also, am I the ONLY one that wants The Mercenaries 3D DLC?

WaveWarlock

WaveWarlock said:

I hate DLC....It makes the game you've purchased feel incomplete, and i don't want to fork over extra cash for something that should of been available from the start.

Seems like Nintendo's bowing down to the backlash.
Anyways, I think DLC as in new characters could be cool for the next Super Smash Bros....but again, eh.

WaLzgiStaff

WaLzgi said:

Here's a question: how is it DLC if it's already on the disc (referring to stuff already on the disc)? :O

motang

motang said:

Not a fan of DLC, but Nintendo needs to have it so 3rd parties can do it if they want to.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

Nope. DLC is usually things that have been created to sell as DLC. That if it weren't to be DLC sold seperately then it wouldn't have been created in the first place.

Dyl_73

Dyl_73 said:

It can be a good thing. Extra levels, tracks, missions extend a games life.

It can also be a bad thing. Extra levels, tracks, missions that could easily have been put into the original shop retail game. And anyone that actually buys things like extra outfits for characters must be either stupid or far too rich.

Dyl_73

Dyl_73 said:

@ Sh00kst3r,
"Also, am I the ONLY one that wants The Mercenaries 3D DLC?"

No you're not. I would download extra areas for this game. Not characters, outfits or weapons. However, it's not going to happen unfortunately.

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

At the very least this should give 3rd parties the possibility to handle DLC like they do on the other consoles.

James wrote:

“Iwata and right-hand man Shigeru Miyamoto are interested in adding on extra stages and new features, but aren't so keen on paying to unlock content already on the disc

That’s at least something that sounds right about this statement.

I don’t really like the idea of paid DLC costumes or characters in multiplayer games. The game wouldn’t be the same to everyone anymore. And for that alone I’d scream “tacked on!”.
When it comes to paid track packs or stages for Brawl and Mario Kart there would have to be a separate online mode so someone that doesn’t download this stuff isn’t left out of the fun with just the pure original game.

Also it’s hard to imagine good paid DLC for Nintendo’s platformers. The main motivation to me is to get to and beat the final boss. I don’t think the dramaturgy and suspense can be accomplished by paid DLC. So it’s more than likely that it would feel tacked on and unnecessary. The same goes for single player Zelda games.

I can only think of a few good paid DLC from Nintendo

• New minigames in Rhythm Heaven
  • New microgames for WarioWare
  • Sidestory games for Zelda characters (other than Link)
  • Opponent packs for Punch Out The game shouldn’t change very much in future iterations so DLC seems to be a good idea.

And all of this content is only great as long as it doesn’t take away too many resources from developing completely new and fresh game experiences.

But who are we kidding. DLC that sells well will be seen as good DLC. No matter what.

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

I would have been totally open to Wii DLC for new worlds and such that didn't make it into the final cut of Mario Galaxy 2. Sadly, there was no infrastructure for such content on the Wii. If you think DLC of a particular type is stupid (characters, etc), do not buy it. I would have given my left foot to play as Rosalina in Mario Galaxy 2. It would also be equally awesome if we could download special bonus cups in Mario Kart Wii-U, as four-packs of new or retro tracks. I'm also open to idea of new characters/ karts, on the provision that they they're stats don't provide a huge competitive edge over base unlockable content (that would create an unfair advantage in online matches).

Another thing to bear in mind regarding DLC content, is that in order to use such content (costumes, characters, karts, etc) in online matches, the data must also be present in some form on all users' consoles, usually preinstalled or via automatic patches/ updates.

almostnacho

almostnacho said:

First they "ripoff" the iPad, now they start planning for "in-game purchases". This really is one huge attempt to get in on the mobile gaming market!

JusticeColde

JusticeColde said:

I guess this means that 3rd parties will really have no excuse for not giving Wii players all of the features in a game (British Bulldog, WCW Nitro & The Nexus in SvR 2011 & Extra AFC uniforms in Madden' 11)

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

Unless its already included on the cart itself. SSFIV on the home consoles gets around this by showing a characters standard costume if you haven't downloaded the costume that the other person is using.

lakersfanmartin

lakersfanmartin said:

@96 umm.. i think your a little confused in case you havent noticed nintendo does ALMOST everything 1st..for example, the xbox360 came out first & wii came out last however the "xbox 360" waits till the wii releases (& just steal the motion) & the ps3 didnt change much thats just to take the best out (nintendo) cause it was known for fitness & the motion,& you can quote me when i say this "sega might just be the only company that can compete with nintendo, take note how xbox360 gots dreamcast games :p & one more thing this is NINTENDO LIFE for fans of Nintendo i believe there are sites for sony & microsoft so if you hate nintendo your on the wrong site & i hope you fans that rival nintendo dont hop on the banwagon whenever wii u takes over & NINTENDO REMAINS AT THE TOP!!! ;)