Gallery: A Closer Look at the GameCube-Inspired Wired Fight Pads

Posted by Alex Olney

A treat for the eyeballs

As we've seen recently, PDP is planning to release some officially licensed controllers based off the classic GameCube design that so many fans of the Smash Bros. series have come to love; they'll work on Wii and Wii U, due to the fact they function as Classic Controllers.

Many people have been rather taken in by the vibrant colours based off classic Mario characters – although the lack of a Luigi-coloured controller is frankly a sin. The finer details about the controllers such as the shoulder buttons have so far eluded us, but luckily we've managed to get our mitts on some much better images from lots of lovely angles.

Interestingly the boxes for these controllers explicitly advertise their compatibility with Super Smash Bros. for Wii U. It appears PDP may be banking on this latest entry in the series to be a flagship for the console, which is not all that surprising.

According to Amazon UK the controllers themselves will be released within the United Kingdom on 14th November. No word on a North American release date, but we'll let you know when we get one.

Remember to click on the images to see them in all their high resolution glory.

Which one do you like the look of? Will you consider one of these over the GameCube adapter and/or a Pro Controller?

[via nintendotweet.tumblr.com]

outburst

outburst said:

They are available for pre-order on amazon Germany for 19.99€. I'm not sure about the quality though. I'll wait for the Smash Bros version manufactured by Nintendo. But those are awesome looking!

ekreig

ekreig said:

Like the Yoshi one the best. The yellow d-pad on the Peach controller looks a bit odd to me.

Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano said:

I'll stick with the real Gamecube controller via the controller adapter releasing with Smash Wii U.

MixMasterMudkip

MixMasterMudkip said:

Still super excited over my Peach one I have on pre-order. Granted, I doubt I'll use it for Smash. I'm not the biggest fan of them being wired through the Wiimote, and the different shape. I'll probably use it more for VC games, and such.

Samurai_Goroh

Samurai_Goroh said:

They look great, but I'm always a bit suspicious of third party controllers. The replacement of the D-pad in particular looks like it might fix my only complaint with the GameCube controller. I assume they plug to the Wii Remote and work as a Wii classic controller?
Are you guys going to make an hardware review of this? If there are no major flaws, at €19.99 I might get an Yoshi one.

Tsurii897

Tsurii897 said:

Only problem will be that they might not necessarily work for smash. And I think, that's probably one of the bigger reasons, they were made :|
(also not the biggest fan of those colors. Or the fact, that they're shaped like, well..GC controllers)

Samurai_Goroh

Samurai_Goroh said:

@Tsurii897 Pretty sure they are recognised by the software as Wii Classic Controller/Pro and Super Smash Bros. will support those. The only downfall will be no rumble.

Yosher

Yosher said:

I want that Yoshi one AAAAAAAH Super Smash Bros is gonna cost me a fortune. (And I already do have 4 GC controllers anyway but I still want it!)

Babybahamut

Babybahamut said:

Those d-pads- I hardly dare say it, but they look like they might be quite decent. It'd be a stretch to make them worse than the original GC d-pads, though ;)

Now if only the Wii U had some gamecube games that could use this too, eh Nintendo?

Ryu_Niiyama

Ryu_Niiyama said:

Where is Luigi? Guess I'll have to get Yoshi because I loathe pink and red as colors (even more annoying since I'm female so I'm "expected" to like pink)

Still I just want it because its a classic controller that won't break my hand. Playing Smash with either gamepad or pro controller. I am thinking about building an arcade stick for it though...

Hy8ogen

Hy8ogen said:

Wait, so you plug these things into the wii mote and not plugging it into the Wii U console? If that's the case I'm sold. If it's wired into the console tho, it wouldn't work for me because my Wii U is too far away from my couch.

@Mega719 Playing smash on your gamepad? Heh, it's gonna break bro.

ULTRA-64

ULTRA-64 said:

I love the yoshi one except I'd rather swap the green and white around.....I don't like white ' tops' to pads as they get all greasy/dirty.....who cares if the bit you don't see get a mucky!

River3636

River3636 said:

I'm all about it, this could be a precursor for some really good GameCube virtual console games.

Yorumi

Yorumi said:

I tend to like softer colors and like the look of the peach one a bit but there's just a limit, I can't have a pink controller sitting on my table. Hopefully they'd do more designs I will need to get one for smash.

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

I might bite if they release a Rosalina/Waluigi design. Those three didn't catch me, not even with the low price point.

Yorumi

Yorumi said:

One question if anyone knows, since it's not confirmed if they'll get a NA release, and assuming it doesn't, would these work with a NA system? I don't see any reason they wouldn't but figured I'd ask.

rjejr

rjejr said:

Really weird to be advertising a "wired" pad that is only wired to a Wiimote plus it's advertised as Wii U controller but the Wii U doesn't even come w/ a Wimote, you have to buy it separately. Maybe it's not false advertising, but it's extremely light on the details.

Which makes me think Nitnendo should have put a Wiimote port on the bottom of the Gamepad for all of us Clissic and Classic Pro owning folk.

Oh, NL had a nice photo a couple of months ago showing these plugged into Wiimotes.

Krambo42

Krambo42 said:

@Yorumi I don't know for sure, but I'd guess that they would. I got Japanese CCPs that work on my US Wii just fine.

Anyway, I'll get a couple of these as long as they feel good and work correctly. I'd actually rather use these than my old Gamecube controllers.

Yorumi

Yorumi said:

@Krambo42 good I figured they would since they're just plugging into a wii remote. Still going to wait for an official US announcement but if it doesn't come before nov or so I'll just order one from a european store.

FlaygletheBagel

FlaygletheBagel said:

Those look absolutely amazing. It amazes me that it's taken a company this long to come up with this idea. I already have a Mario one pre-ordered and I can't wait to break it in!

KeithTheGeek

KeithTheGeek said:

One worrying thing about this controller is they've yet to show pictures of the back. I know that sounds minor, but one of the things that ruined 3rd party controllers with a similar mold for the casing is that the backside of the controller (the bit where the Dpad and C-stick jut out) are way too bulky. It makes holding the grips uncomfortable compared to a first party controller and is a flaw that needs to be addressed.

The other potential issue I see are the sticks. First party Nintendo controllers feel silky smooth, but in the past the control sticks on 3rd party ones have been of a noticeably lower quality. If these control sticks feel about as good as a real controller, and they fix the issue with the controller-mold I mentioned, these could be a suitable replacement for the first party controllers.

agqwestern

agqwestern said:

YEUGHHH THOSE LOOK DISGUSTING, especially the yoshi one. The only one that is slightly acceptable to me is the mario one. They just look fat and clunky. Gamecube controller or GamePad for me please

dinosauryoshi

dinosauryoshi said:

I like these. But I really wish they were pro controllers and you didn't have to plug them into a Wii remote.

C-Olimar

C-Olimar said:

I guess this could address the complaints about Classic Controllers being discontinued, but I think most people would prefer actual GC controllers.
I'll be getting one of these though :)

Prime

Prime said:

NOPE. These already suck, if you carefully examine them, they look almost exactly like the Gamestop GC controllers and they are not pleasing to handle. DON'T BUY THESE, JUST GET A GC/CC ADAPTER.

Beau_Skunk

Beau_Skunk said:

I don't think they look that bad personally. One huge improvement is that the second "C-stick" has a mushroom shape. The C-stick was the only thing I hated about the GameCube controller, as it wasn't that comfortable to use without that top part. I compared the images to my GCN controller, and the shape, and such matches it perfectly, so it doesn't look like those cheap nock-off GameStop pads to me. They look more comfy.

Also, sense Virtual Console SNES games on WiiU have mappable/custom controls, this means using these controllers with "Super Mario World" won't be impossible anymore.

adeceku

adeceku said:

mmm will those feel like the Pelican accessories GC controller? I have one of those and i think its "ok"

santaglause

santaglause said:

i have a wavebird 1 black and 2 purple from the gamecube era! those orange ones back in the day looked nice!

mowerdude

mowerdude said:

I like the mario version the best out of them, but they need a Luigi one. Also it would be way better if they worked just like the Wii U pro controller wireless or usb wired controller instead of the Wii Classic controller.

pigwarts5ever

pigwarts5ever said:

If these can be used for any game that can use Pro Crontrollers I would buy one of these in a heart beat.

BearClaus

BearClaus said:

As @Gamecubii-64DD pointed out, these look a lot like the GameStop-branded Chameleon controllers, also by PDP. The outer shell is extremely similar.

If they're enough like those, then the D-pad will be bad and the control stick will probably stop working fairly quickly if not lucky.

Since these are Classic Controllers in a different shape, they are not truly wired—they plug into the wireless Wii Remote. Also, "fight pad" isn't really accurate—there is only one series where the GameCube controller would ever be considered one of those. :-D

santaglause

santaglause said:

i always said since i first held the gamecube controller, God created the hand for that controller, not the other way round!!!

Intrepid

Intrepid said:

If they made a Luigi controller or made the Yoshi controller Green on top, then I would consider getting one of these. I'm not a fan though of connecting my controllers to Wii Remotes, so I'll probably end up skipping these anyway. They do look rather nice though.

pigwarts5ever

pigwarts5ever said:

Okay I just noticed that these controllers have those stupid octagonal shaped spots for the control sticks. I hate those slightly less excited but I will still probably get one.

AcesHigh73

AcesHigh73 said:

Damn, these controllers look rad. But which is it to be – Mario or Yoshi? Argh, screw it, maybe both!

Iggly

Iggly said:

@Hy8ogen These Gamecube Controllers work as Classic Controllers so you just plug them in a WIi Remote and not the Wii U if you were really concerned about it being wired.

greeeco

greeeco said:

I understand making them wired for the competitive crowd that wants to ensure no controller crashing during gameplay, but then they just made them function as classic controllers?? That better make them cheaper

HaNks

HaNks said:

they look alright quite good i guess but they don't support rumble do they? it would also always have to be tethered to a wii remote?

i think i'd rather stick with a wired gamecube or wavebird over this. hopefully they patch in support for games like mario kart in the future :)

IceClimbers

IceClimbers said:

Meh, I'd rather have the official GameCube controllers that are being reissued for Smash. These look a lot better:

Untitled

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

Yeah, but the thousand-million-billion dollar question is, will the Wii-U Game Cube dongle work in Wii mode?

Boyoshi

Boyoshi said:

Gotta say, all of then preparation for GameCube support is suspicious.

I suspect a GameCube + N64 Virtual Console release announcement soon after these and the adapter are released.

zip

zip said:

I think I will get one of these for Xenoblade Chronicles.

Gamecubed

Gamecubed said:

I'm probably going to get one of the official reissued controllers. I also have three Gamecube controllers from my Gamecube days... so I don't really need anything else.

I'm anticipating the announcement of Gamecube and N64 VC games in the new year.

123akis

123akis said:

They look really good! But I'll rather have the official Super smash bros. Gamecube controller that Nintendo are releasing. But if I get another Gamecube controller then I'll get the Mario one.