Nintendo Download: 17th July (Europe)

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

EarthBound reduced, shoot 'em up action, GBA Kirby and more

It's Monday morning, which means European gamers can see what treats await in this week's Nintendo Download Update. There are some interesting options, with some new games, another Game Boy Advance title and some particularly enticing discounts. Let's get to the details.

Wii U eShop

GAIABREAKER (Ubiquitous Entertainment, €10.99 / £9.89) — The scrolling shoot 'em up genre has been particularly absent on the Wii U eShop, even if the spherical approach of Nano Assault Neo throws up an excellent option. We'll look at this one with interest, then, with a homing laser and integrated Miiverse support touted as major features, while there are six stages on offer as you aim to protect Earth. We'll bring you a review as soon as possible.

Wii U Virtual Console

Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land — The rate of new Game Boy Advance releases on Wii U continues at a steady pace, with Kirby now joining the fray. Expect plenty of power-ups and an overload of cuteness, while one button mini-games play a notable role. We'll suck this one up for a review, soon.

Wii U eShop Temporary Discounts

EarthBound (Nintendo, €5.99 / £4.19 until 24th July, normally €9.99 / £6.99)

Little Inferno (Tomorrow Corporation, €4.99 / £4.59 until 24th July, normally €9.99 / £8.99)

3DS eShop

Pick-A-Gem (Gamelion, €2.99 / £2.69) — It's more match-3 mayhem for the 3DS, though mayhem is perhaps an exaggeration. The main twist in this entry is that progress gains XP and, as a result, new items that can be used to boost performance. We'll get some multipliers going and bring you a review.

3DS eShop Temporary Discounts

SteamWorld Dig (Image & Form, €4.49 / £3.99 until 31st July, normally €8.99 / £7.99)

escapeVektor (Nnooo, €3.99 / £3.59 until 31st July, normally €6.99 / £5.99)

Steel Diver: Sub Wars Premium Version (Nintendo, €6.99 / £6.29 until 24th July, normally €9.99 / £8.99) — Purchased from the game's Title screen.

Cubit The Hardcore Platformer Robot (CoderChild, €2.00 / £1.80 until 24th July, normally €2.99 / £2.69)

Secrets of the Titanic 1912-2012 (Avanquest, €4.99 / £4.99 until 31st July, normally €10.99 / £9.99)

3DS eShop Demo

Cubit The Hardcore Platformer Robot (CoderChild, free)

Some attractive discounts this week, along with a few new options across both current systems. Let us know what you plan to download in the poll and comments below.

What will you be downloading first this week? (214 votes)

GAIABREAKER (Wii U eShop)

Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land (Wii U Virtual Console)

12%

EarthBound (Wii U eShop temporary discount)

31%

Little Inferno (Wii U eShop temporary discount)

Pick-A-Gem (3DS eShop)

SteamWorld Dig (3DS eShop temporary discount)

escapeVektor (3DS eShop temporary discount)

Steel Diver: Sub Wars Premium Version (3DS eShop temporary discount)

Cubit The Hardcore Platformer Robot (3DS eShop temporary discount)

Secrets of the Titanic 1912-2012 (3DS eShop temporary discount)

Jut the Cubit demo for me

Nothing for me this week

35%

Please login to vote in this poll.

shibbyduckegg

shibbyduckegg said:

Already own EarthBound, Steel Diver: Sub Wars premium, SteamWorld Dig and Little Inferno, so I'm going with GBA Kirby, but I'd highly recommend the discounts if they apply to you.

C-Olimar

C-Olimar said:

Fantastic discount on Earthbound!
I'll probably buy Steamworld Dig for my brother. Not much this week, though I am a little behind in my 3DS downloads, so no matter!

Peach64

Peach64 said:

Just got a Wii U over the weekend so that Earthbound discount is perfectly timed!

outburst

outburst said:

LOL I held on buying Earthbound. Now it's the time. :D I've never been into Kirby games so I won't be buying that one. Still no Castlevania 3 or the promised Megaman games.

MeWario

MeWario said:

The last few weeks have been pretty darn good so I don't mind saying nothing for me this week! Oh, and hurry up with Shovel Knight already! :(

Liquid_ice

Liquid_ice said:

If you don't own SteamWorld Dig already, get it this week! It's so fantastic that I'm really looking forward to SWD HD on Wii U!

Noelemahc

Noelemahc said:

That's... very tiny. You'd think Nintendo would flesh the low weeks out with VCing their own games or somesuch?

Nintendzoey

Nintendzoey said:

Just as I expected, nothing for the 3DS that interests me again this week. Lucky I have a PS Vita as well or I would have been bored out of my mind this year. Nintendo has not really released anything that I am interested for a while now.
Well, I am interested in Disney Magical World, though we still have heard nothing about an EU/AU release. I am wondering now whether we ever will.

Jakeman

Jakeman said:

@Nintendzoey Yes, abysmal week again for the 3DS. I know how much you want that Disney game. I hope they announce something soon for you!

Pahvi

Pahvi said:

If the video clip of Gaiabreaker on YouTube is from the game... I'll be even happier that I bought the SNES Twinbee last week. And it cost even less.

Byron-3D

Byron-3D said:

Looks like it might be time to grab Steamworld Dig, not that il get round to playing it yet as have a massive backlog

Muyounosuke

Muyounosuke said:

Earthbound is on sale thats surprising its been a year since it was put on the store I wonder if Nintendo might be doing this to prepare for a special earthbound related announcement at comic-con.

Kolzig

Kolzig said:

Looks like time is right for Steel Diver to be purchased.

Shame that the original Steel Diver and also Pilot Wings Resort are not in the eShop.

AJWolfTill

AJWolfTill said:

Awesome, I was holding out in the hope that Earthbound would receive a price cut at some point! Didn't think it would be such a spectacular one! I'll just have to remember to get it when I'm back from Holiday. I'd of got Steamworld for the plane journey but the update will probably come in a little late.

Does anyone know if you can access the eShop abroad.

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

GAIABREAKER looks incredibly cheap to be perfectly honest. This doesnt look like a 11€ title to me. Ill get it should it get a discount someday.

Otherwise, i go for Kirby and thats it :)

Does anyone know why Shovel Knight takes so long to get to europe ? Did Yachtclub say anything about it ?

And, like usual: Great job at releasing all these promised games Capcom. Really appreciated !

TheWPCTraveler

TheWPCTraveler said:

People better get more shmups on the Wii U. I'm already thinking of importing the Japanese XBOX One because it looks like there are a ton of shmups there...

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

I'm still holding off on Wii U GBA VC purchases as I'd much rather play them on 3DS, but I think for Nightmare in Dreamland I'll make an exception; assuming the multiplayer is there.

Jazzer94

Jazzer94 said:

Not a great week for me, good discounts but I already own EarthBound and SteamWorld Dig.

outburst

outburst said:

@ModestFan93
I know but I have a huge backlog and I will eventually get it. I almost bought it when I got a Wii U last November and almost bought it last weekend but my gut feeling said I will wait a bit. :D it paid off. :D I'm getting it next week before the promo ends, I just need to know what's next week's VC release.

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

Just Earthbound for me. Interested in Steel Diver but since Nintendo deems me unworthy to download it because 'thou must hath an NNID' (I refuse to lock my 3DS to one country which having an NNID does), I can't.

@Noelemahc On the 3DS VC has been dead for a few months in Japan (which is what made Pokemon Trading Card game in Europe such a surprise). On the Wii U, what do you think Kirby is? But for both the probelm with VC is there is so little 3rd party support outside of Japan and lack of supported systems mean there is not much that can released and as a result not a lot left.

@Kolzig I could swear Steel Diver and Pilotwings were on the eShop but at a 'why even bother?' price point of £40.

Noelemahc

Noelemahc said:

@Starwolf_UK Which is the bit that annoys me very much. The 3DS can VC GBA and SNES games, but Nintendo is doing nothing to use that.

I think tons of people would snag Super Mario All-Stars given the chance. Or Mario Paint. Especially Mario Paint.

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

Think I'll get that SNES Twinbee game from last week. Looks like a much more interesting shooter than Gaiabreaker..

ikki5

ikki5 said:

oo, an earthbound discount... but NA won't get that, NoA doesn't believe in discounts anymore.

XyVoX

XyVoX said:

@ikki5 Dont be silly you N/A get virtually every game on a permanent discount compared to us in Europe by about 30%.

ikki5

ikki5 said:

@XyVoX curious, are your taxes included in those prices? Because if i remember correctly, they are included, at the same time, Taxes are also higher which would also cause these prices to be higher. Another thing, It is also because your market allows for it. People will buy it so people will sell it unlike what the prices are here. People here in NA, yeah, I'll say it, most are selfish, greedy and think anything and everything should be free or very cheap which leads to a market that would not be able to sell stuff at a huge price or it won't sell at all. That is something the UK doesn't seem to have and your prices reflect on it. One more thing, your minimum wage is quite a bit higher than Most states and provinces in Canada which is usually based on the cost of living. So higher minimum wage usually means higher prices.

outburst

outburst said:

Ahhh you mean Kirby. I can't find it or I cant find it cheaply. Kirby's epic yarn almost made me dive into Kirby games. I'm avoiding it as much as possible since I have too many games on my list that I have to buy and play first. I went PC gaming (thanks to Red Alert, Counterstrike and Fallout) after the SNES, MegaDrive and PS1 era and just came back to WiiU. :)

GamerZack87

GamerZack87 said:

EarthBound would have been an insta-buy title for me if it weren't for the fact that I'll be interstate during the entire week...oh well, I guess I'll just look for something else during my trip.

Emblem

Emblem said:

@Starwolf_UK Explain please? Isnt the 3DS region locked anyway? You also can't download games or demos without a NNID right? What gets locked?

I have 1 linked (UK) and 1 unlinked 3ds (JPN) in the post from Play Asia so im genuinely interested.

ToniK

ToniK said:

Now I have no excuse to not get Steamworld Dig. Yay! Maybe my 3DS gets some love for a change. It's been almost obsolete for the past months.

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

@Emblem You need an NNID to get demos and free applications (e.g. Youtube, Pokemon Bank, Steel Diver Sub Wars). Oddly enough beofre NNID you didn't. Carrot and stick, eh. You are locked to one country with an NNID (rather than being able to use any in that region with seperate wallets in each). Remember how the UK didn't get Inazuma Eleven because level 5 thought British dubs were more important than sales? I could easily get around that but many others were left without the option. Remember how only Austrlaia got Snapdots? I bought that that. Btw, I have to connect ot he Australian eShop to redownload it (erorrs out on UK eShop); which an NNID not linked to Australia would prevent, it is ironic how the account system fails to safegaurd my purchases in that respect. Why not link to Australia then? Terrible prices and loads of game don't come out in Australia.

From what I remember a Japanese 3DS only has one contry to choose anyway (Japan) so it doesn't matter there.

Action51

Action51 said:

Awww we got spoiled in the last two weeks, now we're back to a small dribble of e-shop and VC games.

Discipledoctor

Discipledoctor said:

NA just doesn't get EU's deals, but man. I would be all over that Steel Diver promo if it were available. And Kirby. And Earthbound if I didn't have it already.

jjmesa16

jjmesa16 said:

I will probably be playing some Earthbound this weekend. The original price of this game is ridiculous. Every other SNES title game is $7.99. Why make Earthbound $9.99? What makes is $2 better than Super Mario World, which got a higher rating here on Nintendolife? Probably because Nintendo knew that people had wanted it for so long and they took advantage of those people by making them pay more.

I'm done ranting. I'll probably pick up SteamWorld Dig as well.

Windy

Windy said:

I hope that steel diver discount hits North America I'm all over that!

Ralek85

Ralek85 said:

I feel those VC games like Earthbound are way too expensive, even when on sale, esp. considering the lack of features you get. I'm not trying to hate on Ninty here, but I have to put this in perspective:

Just this weekend, for about the same money, they are asking for Earthbound alone here, I bought Dino Crisis 1+2, Syphon Filter 1-3, Wild Arms 1+2, Legend of Dragoon.
Those games are newer, in a manner of speaking, I can use them on my Vita as well as my PS3 (PSP also if I had one) and I can even share them with a friend.
Now that makes for 8 games vs 1, PSX vs SNES, 2 users vs 1 users, 3 devices vs 1 device ....
Even if all those games were really mediocre through and through and Earthbound were the best game ever made, it would barely end up being a tie in terms of value proposition.

I would not bother pointing this out, if the gap here wouldn't be so gigantic, it's really more of an unbridgeable abyss, we're staring at here.
I don't expect Nintendo to match Sony (that is pretty telling by itself coming to think of it), but they could at least operate in the same general part of the universe, value-wise.
Personally I will not buy anything other than exclusive content on either my 3DS or my WiiU as long as Nintendo insists on "being special" and making me pay for it, No sir.

XyVoX

XyVoX said:

@Ralek85 Yeah i picked up most of them games on that 99c Flash Sale as i have a PS3 & Vita but believe me brother they only do this ridiculous pricing/sales compared to most others because they can get away with it as their is No Fanboy quite like a Nintendo Fanboy.

Ralek85

Ralek85 said:

@XyVoX I'm afraid that this might be, at least partly, the reason. I wouldn't say I'm a Fanboy, esp. not since my WiiU stands next to my PS3/4 and X1, but I came to accept that Nintendo is a 'special' proposition. There upsides to this, too, like (still) free online services, although PS+ turned out to be a pretty good deal and Nintendo still has the worst online services out of the Big Three, but just as many or more downsides.

Price is certainly one of those downsides, and also the reason I don't care about games like Watch Dogs on the WiiU, not only are they inferior, which depending on the game might not matter thaaattt much, but the prices are just ridiculous. I think if you add this up over a generation of say 8 years, you are better off, getting a PS4/X1 (no PS+ though and wore sales structure) pairing up with friend and using it for anything non-nintendo exclusive (or amazing gamepad use).
That's just math and not even accounting for the better graphics and performance you'll very likely end up getting.

Well, at least that's the route I'm going with ^^ Can't wait for SSB and Splatoon though, as I have no problem dropping 60$ on those, although I'd prefer they offered a chance to split the cost with someone just as can on PS and Xlive.

ogo79

ogo79 said:

lol at earthbound for cheaper. as if it really could have. this is where its going to get entertaining around the net for a good read...now the analyzers are going to say stuff like "the discount for earthbound is to get the people that were too cheap to buy the cart, and too cheap to buy it for regular price on vc, to get it now to help promote mother 1 and 3 coming to virtual console" :D

Neko_Rukiafan

Neko_Rukiafan said:

I'll give GAIABREAKER a go if it releases in North America this week as well. Also for those of you who are still on the fence about Earthbound just get it! It's well worth the full asking price so the discounted price is a steal. ;)

ToxieDogg

ToxieDogg said:

I've watched some GAIABREAKER footage on Youtube and it just doesn't look worth that initial asking price to me, especially given that you could download the likes of Pop n Twinbee instead, or Lords Of Thunder if you hop onto the Wii mode E-Shop. I'll hold out a bit longer for Shovel Knight.

Squiggle55

Squiggle55 said:

Earthbound is easily worth a full retail price of $60.
@OGO79 That was one of the first thoughts to cross my mind. I still think Nintendo is planning that now.

Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano said:

I'll skip this week in hope for better VC games and that SMTIV is coming out within the next month and a half (Q3 2014). As the Earthbound sale could be to promote the history behind Ness (assuming he is playable in Smash Wii U and 3DS), hopefully that'll mean some of the GBA/DS Fire Emblem games will come to VC for similar reasons (Lyn as assist trophy, Marth as main character).

Monsti

Monsti said:

If you don't have Earthbound yet and you don't buy it for this price....you're craaaaaaazzzzzyyyy! ^^

8BitSamurai

8BitSamurai said:

A sale on EarthBound? This is betrayal! It stands against everything the "rare downloads" program stands for.

This means (Miiverse) war!

AyeHaley

AyeHaley said:

Earthbound is worth way more than 10 bucks in my opinion...You get so much fun, awe and playtime from it. At 5.99 its a steal!