Fresh Nintendo Wii U Patent Looks Like a Wii Music Game

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

At least a potential E3 reveal won't be a live demonstation

It seems that today is a day of potential E3 leaks, and this one will likely divide Nintendo gamers. We're aware that some of the Nintendo Life community enjoyed Wii Music, so this writer will restrict expressing his feelings of trepidation and fear at this possible reveal — the lead image says it all.

When motion control was dominating the world Wii Music attempted to incorporate a fun, musical learning experience into the system using its controllers and accessories. If a freshly discovered patent is anything to go by, Nintendo may be working on a follow-up project — filed in late April but made available to the public today, it shows the GamePad being utilised for a musical game with an uncanny resemblance to the Wii title.

The inventors are named as Takehiko Hosokawa (Rhthm Heaven Fever and others) and Goro Abe (most recently Game & Wario) — the patent primarily revolves around software to capture data for multiple sounds, incorporating interactions with the GamePad.

[0003] Conventionally, there is a game apparatus that outputs the sound of performing one composition as an ensemble using a plurality of instruments. In the game apparatus, a user selects a part to be assigned to the user themselves. When the selection of the assigned part is completed, the ensemble is started. Then, the user can participate in the ensemble by performing an input operation based on the assigned part.

[0004] The game apparatus, however, can merely provide the audio output of the composition performed as an ensemble from, for example, a pair of loudspeakers provided in a monitor. Thus, even a composition performed as an ensemble may lack variety, as compared to other types of sound outputs.

[0005] Therefore, it is an object of an exemplary embodiment to provide a storage medium having stored therein an information processing program capable of a wide variety of sound outputs, and an information processing apparatus, an information processing system, and an information processing method that are capable of a wide variety of sound outputs.

Though the images below focus on the GamePad, various charts showing the processes of the software refer to multiple instruments and input devices — controllers, in other words. The idea seems to be playing in a band much like Wii Music, but with the GamePad featured in its own way.

There are some key points to make. A patent arriving this late before E3 can either mean it's in preparation for the event, is too early in development to be shown, or it could be a patent like many others that'll never see the light of day. While it undoubtedly looks like Wii Music, meanwhile, the named Nintendo staff are particularly experienced in the WarioWare series, and this may be just a part of a different project.

We may see more soon enough. In the meantime check out some diagrams below and let us know what you think.

[via neogaf.com, appft.uspto.gov]

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

I would be one of the few people in the world who would be excited about Wii U Music. I know I'm not the only one.

memoryman3

memoryman3 said:

Looks like the Wii has done brand damage after all with all these glorious shovelwares dominating the release schedule!

PvtOttobot

PvtOttobot said:

No... please NOOOOOOOOO!!!!! I don't mind them making this, it's just I can imagine the whole Digital Even being Iwata on drums...

Sceptic

Sceptic said:

lol, I totally see some non-wearable tech there.

And is "an object of an exemplary embodiment" sort of like QOL?

Spartacus3765

Spartacus3765 said:

How successful was Wii Music? I thought it was a big flop? With that assumption in mind, why is Nintendo going in this direction again? Seems like a wasted allocation of their time.

But, it could be good, I guess. I'm not holding my breath, though.

MAN1AC

MAN1AC said:

I'm not really interested in these types of games but I guess its cool for those that are.
@Spartacus3765
Huh? Wii Music was a VERY successful game.

millarrp

millarrp said:

I didn't think Wii Music was a bad game, but it didn't hold my attention for long, and overpriced for the content it provided. If they do a Wii U version I hope it's a eStore exclusive.

TruenoGT

TruenoGT said:

If the Rhythm Heaven/Tengoku folks are involved, count me hardcore in. One of Nintendo's best series IMO.

64supermario

64supermario said:

@TruenoGT The Rhythm Heaven people are usually a little crazier than this. I'd love for them to make a Wii U game though, Rhythm Heaven is my jam.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

This reminds me that Miyamoto article on NL less than four years ago in which he expressed interest in a Wii Music sequel that would change things up. And then Nintendo trade-marked the name "Wii Music U" less than a year later. Among those trademarked names was for Wii Party U and Wii Sports U that became Wii Sports Club, so considering that, I wouldn't be surprised to see Wii U Music coming at all.

It's a shame that the awful E3 2008 presentation hurt the game, because it's really not bad at all if you put in the time and effort to play around with it. Since Wii Music did have online, one idea they could do with a Wii U sequel is share music videos much more easily among friends and strangers. Something like Mario Kart 8's Mario Kart TV would be interesting to me.

Don't even think this equates to 2008 2.0, because unlike 2008, there will be a new Zelda game announced and a bunch of other big games that people could have only dreamed about in that year.

64supermario

64supermario said:

@MAN1AC I'm guessing the only reason it was as successful as it was is because it came with an extra Wii Remote, heck that was the only reason my parents bought it for me back in the day.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

Here was Miyamoto's quote about a potential Wii U Music too from the early NL article:

@Nik-Davies: Wow. Just wow.

Captain_Toad

Captain_Toad said:

@Nik-Davies Heh, really? @DestinyMan ("And there's a lot of potential still in Wii Music, I think. Because we're going to change it up, a new interface is coming, and all of that."

He even floated the idea of Mario showing up in the game, though he wouldn't bank on it.) This sound pretty interesting indeed. Even Wii Music isn't my thing (or at least played it yet), I have to a least see this.

dumedum

dumedum said:

It sold like 3 million copies I think, so it makes sense. Hopefully they won't focus on it. I still don't think it's coming though. I think they actually used this idea already in Game & Wario or so I hear.

Spartacus3765

Spartacus3765 said:

@MAN1AC
Ok, so I guess what I'm remembering is that it was just more catering to the casual market or something along with getting moderate review ratings. Rock Band was the only music game that drove my interest of that genre in that era.

I dunno, I'm noticing that Nintendo seems to be spreading themselves too thin in these last few years - not giving focus to games where there's the higher demands/interests. I understand the need to evolve and adjust to what the market reacts to in terms of console/software sales, along with staying unpredictable, but my goodness. They seem to be moving more towards being gimmicky than innovative lately. And I'm not talking about the Gamepad in any regard - I think that thing is awesome. But the NFC/toys thing, the vitality sensor, and whatever the heck this is -I'm not sure these will hold my interest, or others IMO. It's like they keep tossing up peripheral ideas, and seeing if they stick, instead of working on the killer software to, oh I don't know, utilize the dying Wii U and it's Gamepad?

ThreadShadow

ThreadShadow said:

Can it be? The triumphant return of Ravi Drum? The unveiling of "Ravi Drum Presents: Rhythm Ravi: Ravi Drums Wii Music ii(2)" for Wii U? I hope so!

2Sang

2Sang said:

I said this jokingly last week thinking they wouldn't be this ridiculous. I was wrong. Please understand.

Nik-Davies

Nik-Davies said:

@Captain_Toad @DestinyMan
Yep. But seriously, I couldn't STAND the game. I couldn't STAND the presentation. No how matter how good the Zelda announcement would be there would always be that Wii Music U in my head. Unless they manage to pull it out of the bag and make it good, but I'm not getting my hopes up for that.
I'm not going to let this get me down now though, I'm still hyped for E3 :D

Ryno

Ryno said:

The rumors have said that a casual game is coming this holiday season, here it is.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

To be fair, this is still a patent and Nintendo patents usually fade into obscurity. I still feel bad about Wii Music getting undeserved hate just because of a terrible stage show.

Kirk

Kirk said:

Yup; looks like Wii U Music to me.

If it happens, here's hoping it's less of a pointless waggle-fest and actually has a bit more of a "game" feel to it; where you actually feel like there's some kind of skill or challenge involved that actually makes what you are doing feel more worthwhile, rewarding and ultimately just more FUN.

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

I think Nintendo will at some point realise that the casual ship has sailed well away from home consoles. I hope this isn't real.

Marshi

Marshi said:

I simply LOVED wii music! But lack of any great tunes(twinkle twinkle little star,really?) and midi sounds rather than real sounds stopped it from being a masterpeice. If this truly is Wii U Music,and it can have better sound,tunes and maybe even dlc instruments and tunes I for one would be very very happy

BertoFlyingFox

BertoFlyingFox said:

Whatevs, casual gamers need things to play too. If they expand the music capabilities, put in nothing but high quality sound, and add in the ability to post your edited songs on Miiverse....well that would be pretty cool honestly, no matter who made an ass of themselves in some E3 presentation years ago.

tysonfury

tysonfury said:

@BertoFlyingFox

Yeah I think this a good thing - the Wii U needs more casual games and I think it's a good use of the gamepad - if marketed right it could have some of that original 'Wii factor' in that it looks fun to play when you watch others.

Throw in Miiverse sharing and DLC and you have a great title with lots of potential!

SilverArrow

SilverArrow said:

I didn't know so many NLifers hated Wii Music. I for one enjoyed every minute of it and will gladly pick up a sequel if this does turn out to be just that.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

Eh, not the most exciting news but I'd still buy it and give 'er a whirl. I used to LOVE the Music Generator on PS2. Made beats all day every day for YEARS lol... Granted, I recorded my own music back then but still- it WAS fun.

BlackStar9000

BlackStar9000 said:

@64supermario That avatar, DAMN THOSE METEORS!!!! I couldnt beat that guy on Advance Wars, Why is there not a new one on the Wii U? VC release of a GBA game doesn't count.

Henmii

Henmii said:

So that is the Miyamoto game, oh dear!

As for people's e3 expectations: Lowered expectations (you know, from that American series)!!

Technosphile

Technosphile said:

And this is why being a Nintendo fan is suffering.

"New Nintendo IP patent!"

"New Miyamoto IP"

"New [INSERT DREAM NINTENDO GAME HERE] to be revealed at E3!"

NOPE! Wii Music...2!

Since everyone loved Wii Music, r-right?

Ichiban

Ichiban said:

Wii Music was garbage. It wasn't even a game. The Wii fad is over Nintendo, get that through your thick Beatles haircut having heads already!! Its like the entire Nintendo staff have dementia lately. We dont want this crap!

aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan said:

Wii Music was genius but executed poorly.

IF the instrument sampling was far better
IF there was far more variety in the content and some contemporary music
IF it had training that targeted you towards the best bits.
IF it had a look that was more stylish than Mii-bland
IF it had accuracy in smaller movements from Motion Plus

It could have been an awesome game/experience.

The core mechanics are an awesome idea. Aspects of the game were implemented very well. It was the deep Nintendo answer to what a music game could be that had the potential to be so much more satisfying than Guitar Hero and Rock Band. This allowed improvising and felt like making music rather than following music... when it worked. Unfortunately, it fell way short and released at a time core gamers were getting tired of casual games.

I hate to say it, but, once again, it's a bad time for it to release even if Nintendo pulled it off this time.

Action51

Action51 said:

EVERYBODY FREAK OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously...the creation and existence of Wii music had roughly 0.00 impact on my life.

Why doesn't the INTERNET freak out about "Fighter Within" this way...seriously...have you seen that thing in action?

JosieC84

JosieC84 said:

I thought the conductor mode was genius where you wave your wii remote like a baton. Wii Music wasn't a game for everyone's taste.

2Sang

2Sang said:

@Meaty-cheeky I share that pain bro. I almost gave up gaming entirely because that was such an awful conference. Fortunately, they haven't been that bad since. Now I have to go watch the conference on youtube and cry.

brandonbwii

brandonbwii said:

Actually I didn't really care for Wii Music but even I'm excited for a potential GamePad focused sequel. I feel Nintendo got the whole theme right when they did Rusty's (what I consider to be the Wii Music of baseball).

The GamePad could bring a host of new possibilities. Just as long as it's utilized at least a little better than in the last Just Dance game.

brandonbwii

brandonbwii said:

@Ichiban
Good you didn't jump to conclusions right? Nintendo patents rarely get used and typically by the time they are, we tend to forget about the patents in the first place.

KodyDawg

KodyDawg said:

I, for one, am a big fan of Wii Music. It may have lacked variety, but is was enjoyable and hilarious nonetheless. What's more fun than playing O Christmas Tree as a dog, a cat, a cheerleader, a black belt etc., IN SPAAAACE?!

I hope Music U becomes a reality. Imagine the advanced intuitiveness of the GamePad! Imagine a keyboard, drum set, or even guitar strings right on the screen, allowing for more advanced options while playing! It could even tie into the whole QoL thing, kinda like how Wii Music sort of taught you how to play drums with a Wiimote, Nunchuck, and Balance Board!

SahashraLA

SahashraLA said:

Like.. how DJs and other musicians use keyboards to capture sounds, loop and distort them and repeat said process until they have a beat to sing / play over? That doesn't sound stupid, it sounds like the cheap alternative to tech that can be stupidly expensive. I know alot of Nintendo gamers and gamers in general that have terrible taste in music, but releasing software that certain users could legitimately utilize to create music?
Apple's Garageband sells iMacs. That and their inclusive port system. Why? It's included in the price. Wii U is small and the Gamepad is wireless with a large screen. Not only should companies like Bamboo be approaching it, so should legit music companies like Korg et al. And while we complain about it (or not) it's actually a pretty cheap system. Even with a $350-500 suite, it's still a bargain next to some of the stuff I've seen. The best part? With Unity, dev kits make porting most existing suites alot easier than on Android locked pro tablets.

ylitvinenko

ylitvinenko said:

@dumedum
I can confirm that, it is in one of those Chick-A-Win/Cluck-A-Pop microgames. The article clearly says that creators of the idea are responsible for the creation of Game & Wario.

Judah_83

Judah_83 said:

Never played wii music but this looks like an astounding idea and can you imagine if they bundled in a second gamepad along with the game along with dlc music, uploading your playlist via bluetooth, miiverse, wii U chat, twitter, twitch, you name it. Possibilities are endless and you can tie this to your NFC nintendo brand figurine push. This shiit is going to print money if done correctly. This +mk8, x, bayonetta2, zelda U, smash bros U, hyrule warriors shld make for a interesting E3 along with the stuff we dont know. #jetlife #nintendolife

andreoni79

andreoni79 said:

Just give us a rhythm game à la Parappa the Rapper with Nintendo characters involved in a crazy story while singing crazy songs and we'll be happy.

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

That could at least be a good use of the GamePad. If they go through with this the game better be good though. Never played Wii Music but i think it's safe to say not many see it as one of the best Wii games.

MAB

MAB said:

It's not like Iwata is putting a gun to our heads and demanding us to buy it... What usually happens is NL will give it a 9/10 which automatically forces all Nintendites to throw their cash at it ;)

nungi

nungi said:

Think they should get rid of some of the people at NOA.They should get couple third party mature games on the Wii U (since they not doing anything of adultness,think that's all that's missing and racing,fighting games like that should fall in between this games like this should not be announced and be like a surprise instead of the games that require time to produce.seems like people working for Nintendo killing The U.and don't know what people want have games come out of every genre instead of just platformers

PinkSpider

PinkSpider said:

I'm probably one of the very few people that actually thought the concept of wii music was fantastic but it just had an awful selections of songs in a midi format.
Hopefully they will correct this for the sequal, and give users an option to compose and download peoples composisitions

PinkSpider

PinkSpider said:

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

Wii Music was a brilliant, but flawed concept limited both by the non-motion plus technology being used and the Wii's limited online capabilities. Two things that would have made it more immediately appealing are a DLC facility to add to the song library (though the inclusion of "September" by Earth, Wind and Fire was genius and that has to be included in any sequel, please!) and more mini-games to get people to play around with it more who might have thought that's all Wii Music was going to be in the first place.

Myself and others in this forum collaborated on a few pieces despite the limitations put in the way and it was a lot of fun. My favourite part was just jamming in the free-form mode, but the collaboration of each person adding their bit to a piece was terrific and I always thought it was sad that you couldn't upload the resulting video to friends and family who might not have a Wii. I really don't care about online gaming, but being able to collaborate on tweaking musical pieces in Wii Music with others around the world would be awesome!

Lobster

Lobster said:

I liked Wii Music. I mean I didn't play it like crazy or anything but I never understood the hate it got. I guess if I had paid full price for it I would be pretty upset, but I paid $5 for it at Circuit City when it was closing. Then again I also paid $5 for Horton Hears a Who and I felt like that murdered my grandma so it can't just be the pricing.

Varoennauraa

Varoennauraa said:

Sequel for Wii Music has been my one of my fondest wishes since Wii U announcement.

The GamePad is made for writing music and sharing songs with friends would be eternal fun. The Wii U could also handle immensely more powerful synthesizer and effects, perhaps making the sound appealing enough even for those who couldn't give a chance for the idea of an interactive music game because of gamey sounds.

A midi keyboard controller with piano lessons and karaoke would make it a 10million hit.

electrolite77

electrolite77 said:

Nintendo refusing to accept the casual market ship has sailed.

That said, it's only a patent. May not mean anything.

Andremario

Andremario said:

While I don't have an immediate interest that still doesn't mean this is a bad thing. Casual gamers need something to play with too.

LittleIrves

LittleIrves said:

If you're interested in music and know what the software can do, Wii Music is NOT in fact a casual experience but a fairly in-depth song creator with a ridiculous amount of nuance and subtlety. The original was demonized by those who never played it or failed to understand what the point of the game was.

I really really hope a Wii U sequel/enhancement comes out. And it's times like these that I'm glad Nintendo is mostly focused on Japanese market and does not cater to Western fans.

Lord

Lord said:

For the love of god! NO....why Nintendo waste time with this rubbish and yet metroid and f-zero sit gathering dust!