Shaq Fu: A Legend Reborn Wants Your Money

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

What the Fu?!

Last year we brought you the disturbing news that Mine O'Mine, a company owned by Shaquille O'Neal, registered a series of trademarks for possible use in video games. As Shaq Fu on the Super NES is widely regarded as a shockingly bad game, it was news to prompt shudders rather than celebrations.

Well, a new game is possibly on the way, as Shaq Fu: A Legend Reborn has launched an Indiegogo campaign looking to raise $450,000 over the next 46 days; it gets better for Nintendo fans, with a 3DS stretch goal at $960,000 and a Wii U version at a not-at-all-overly-ambitious $1,080,000.

This new title, with heavy endorsement from Shaq himself and developed by Big Deez Productions — with staff members with experience in games such as "HALO, Street Fighter, Final Fantasy, Alan Wake, Spec Ops: The Line, Battlefield, Killzone, Max Payne, Duke Nukem" — looks to be a 3D beat 'em up, with a promise of plenty of moves, boss battles, melee weapons and a co-op mode.

• Play as Shaq as he kicks ass and takes no prisoners
  • Intricately designed combo system that leaves room for a variety of fighting tactics. Learn the moves and let Shaq rip against his enemies
  • Pimp your character with new moves and abilities. Select from different fighting styles or combine styles and create your own new discipline (Shaq FU is what you make it)
  • Challenges for even the best players.
  • Adaptive AI keeps the game exciting
  • Battles against hordes of enemies in the tradition of the lost art of the beat ‘em up. I mean, who could take Shaq one on one?
  • Take the challenge up to an entirely new level in unforgettable smack downs against awesome bosses.
  • Once you beat a boss you unlock him and can play as him in the game.
  • Fight through the slums of Asian cities, on the rooftops of skyscrapers. Battle it out inside buildings, seedy night clubs, and cause mayhem in the markets.
  • Smash an enemy through the floor and leap down to a lower level. Barge through walls and forge your own path. Smash furniture, toss enemies through windows, even collapse structures – when you are the Shaqbreaker everything is possible
  • A wide variety of melee and projectile weapons as well as various everyday objects that can be used as weapons – katanas, shurikens, baseball bats, the occasional basketball filled with the wrong type of gas, bottles, knives and dozens more. Don’t see a weapon you like? What about that manhole cover or that car door? You are Shaq after all, so maybe you want to hurl that motorcycle on a bunch of enemies at once. The world is your projectile.
  • Wipe out huge numbers of enemies at once. Bowl down enemies with balls of steel, create earthquakes of unprecedented power, slam dunk baddies with ease.
  • Modifiers that change your appearance and enhance your skills. Transform into the monstrous Big Daddy O and crush your enemies. Twirl into the Big Baryshnikov and pirouette your enemies like a tornado tearing through Kansas. Power up into the Big Diesel and steamroll your enemies into Kobe-Patties. A power-up for every nickname Shaq has ever had, and a few new ones for good measure.
  • Co-op Gameplay. Grab a friend and battle it out in tandem. Play as Shaq’s identical twin (no he doesn’t sell insurance) or select from a host of other playable characters with different skills and power-ups. Split screen action available, baby!
  • Co-op’s not your bag? Build up your character and fighting style and duke it out online or on the same machine against another player.
  • Once you have played through the main game revisit it to discover secret environments that you might have missed.
  • Think its over once the Black Star Ninja, is unmasked? Think again. Hosts of challenges await that pit you against the best Shaq Fu’s in the world.

It's certainly promising a lot, and below are a variety of pitch videos showing game footage, the man himself and the development team. Check them out and let us know what you think — we're off for a lie down in a dark room...

[via indiegogo.com]

Dark-Link73

Dark-Link73 said:

Ha ha ha ha ha ha................ HA HA HA HA!!!!! Ha ha..... ahem. Sorry. What was he saying? I couldn't hear him because I was laughing so hard at a joke about Shaq wanting to make a game!

bezerker99

bezerker99 said:

This reminds me that AVGN said there was once a site dedicated to finding and destroying every single copy of Shaq-Fu in existence. I'm still LOL'ing at the thought. :)

Beetlejuice

Beetlejuice said:

If the gameplay is half way decent, I would get this! A new 3D beat em up game would be cool.

AJ_Lethal

AJ_Lethal said:

If they manage to turn a horrible trainwreck into a glorious trainwreck, count me in.

Gerbwmu

Gerbwmu said:

As a good will gesture, maybe Shaq should pony up most of the funds to get it on the Nintendo consoles to make up for the horror that was SHAQ FU!

Seriously this could be the best basketball game we get on Wii U so maybe I better go help fund it.....

Zach

Zach said:

I would buy this in a heartbeat, given that it at least had decent reviews.

Mk_II

Mk_II said:

I'm afraid that picture of Shaq in his green romper has scarred me for life.

Ryno

Ryno said:

Any company called "Big Deez," I don't even care what they make, I'm buying it!

Sir_JBizzle

Sir_JBizzle said:

Shaq the Fu up!! The first game was awful and wasn't worth the $60-$70 that was spent by the poor souls who were foolish enough to buy it. Why would someone ever be suckered in to back this? As @Gerbwmu said, why can't Shaq just pony up some of the funds? I know he's got a cool mil laying around somewhere. He should be paying US to play this game. Lol

Gerbwmu

Gerbwmu said:

@MrV4ltor - it was meant as a bad joke......I know it's not a basketball game but with all sporting franchises shunning the Wii U......obviously having to explain it means the joke failed......

Falchion

Falchion said:

Some of the funding awards are pretty nice. Dinner with shaq? Pick up basketball with shaq? Personialized recording from shaq? This would be a steal if I was a shaq fan.

6ch6ris6

6ch6ris6 said:

for the lulz

i hope this actually succeedes.
maybe nintendo should by this and make it a wiiU exclusive :)

Rafie

Rafie said:

Why did they single out the SNES version. The Genesis version was just as bad. However, I actually liked Shaq Fu and beat it multiple times. I'll admit that when I first got it on the Genesis, I was less than impressed. As time went on though....it grew on me. If this ever comes to fruition, I'll support it.

mamp

mamp said:

Most hilarious new I've heard in years. OMG I can't stop laughing at this, is it really real?

Xcape_DuCkMAN_X

Xcape_DuCkMAN_X said:

Not tli the scars heal, get a refund, and some of m time back. Only then would I consider a positive thought.

MrGawain

MrGawain said:

Why does a man who earned a bazillion dollars dropping a rubber ball through a metal ring need us to fund his crummy game? Get lost Shaq.

Joalro

Joalro said:

Just in case no one else noticed, the have earned $16,000 in a 7 hour time window. That's a fairly decent start.

sketchturner

sketchturner said:

I actually want to play to release. Shaq Fu is like a coyote mangled on the side of the road... yet I can't look away.

vamkar

vamkar said:

3DS stretch goal at $960,000 and a Wii U version at $1,080,000.
not gonna happen... then the studio blames Nintendo...

MixMasterMudkip

MixMasterMudkip said:

Wouldn't it be funny if this was even worse then the original. Either way, I don't care. I already funded it. I'm beyond excited for this.

SetupDisk

SetupDisk said:

Wait in another article it said Shaq is fully behind this game but it's crowd funded? Did he go nuts and blow all his money or what? That amount should not be that much of a risky investment for him if he has faith in it.

TySoN_F

TySoN_F said:

Tbh if they could turn this something comedic and memorable, hey I'm all for it. You don't see many of these celeb-games nowadays.

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

HAHAHAHA! Oh my, this is glorious! I love how serious they take this project! And even if the new game would end up being even worse than the original, the trash factor alone makes me want it!

@SetupDisk He's mentally behind it, as in he approves of it. Can't tell a rich man to spend his money, eh?

Mitsuko_Chan

Mitsuko_Chan said:

Shaq, you're a great basketball player, but haven't you done enough terrible movies and games lately?

MAN1AC

MAN1AC said:

There's a lot of haters in here. Why even speak on this if you arent interested in the game?

Tsuzura

Tsuzura said:

I want this game very much!
Me and my friends could not find a way to control the first one and that made it too fun!

ogo79

ogo79 said:

im sure shaq can fund for this game himself.
then again im sure he wasnt the person who funded his own rap career, fruitful as that was...he needs to go sit down somewhere or stick to slapping basketballs out of peoples hands.

Untitled
Untitled

Anguspuss

Anguspuss said:

serious this game was a classic. (in the bracket of being so bad its good). I couldnt believe when it originally got released over in uk with most people going who & what.. love the green suit pic.

BUT WTF $30 FOR THIS
My pc is broken as it isnt showing 01/04/14

Good luck big guy

MikeDanger

MikeDanger said:

NOPE.

thank you very much, but there's a lot of beautiful things to experience in this world and I shall not waste it with this. Adios.

Undead_terror

Undead_terror said:

Funny how he is so jacked in the video when he really don't look like it...but in the old game there was some interesting characters.

ModernMARVEL

ModernMARVEL said:

I'd like to give it a try, but those 3DS and WiiU goals. Well...considering what I've heard about the previous game and the hilariously dumb rewards @Swiket posted...

SilentHunter382

SilentHunter382 said:

Am I the only one who would like to fund the project just for the hell of it.

EDIT: A quote from the page. "Shaq Fu is what the original game should have been – an instant classic. We're talking Streets of Rage meets Street Fighter meets Devil May Cry."

Untitled

mcusc5435

mcusc5435 said:

@Swiket Those funding perks are pretty crazy, but whats even crazier is that some huge Shaq fan will most likely fund it at that level to get Shaq to follow them Haha

shonenjump86

shonenjump86 said:

Played Shaq Fu years ago back on the Genesis. Did not like it all. I got nothing against making a new one, but I can't say I'm excited for this.

xj0462

xj0462 said:

a sequel to shaq fu!? THE END IS NEAR!!! the world will end if this game is released!!!!
ok maybe im exaggerateing a little bit

FilmerNgameR

FilmerNgameR said:

You people are boring this looks awesome! ITS freakin SHAQUILLE ONEILL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! XD lol

Senario

Senario said:

Seems legit. Lol. I wonder if they missed that shaq fu is one of the worst games ever made. But hey, I won't contribute but I will watch to see what happens. Half hoping for a train wreck.

Squid

Squid said:

Naw, you guys are just disbelievers in the big man! This game will sell billions, just you wait.

Bring it on Shaq, my body is ready.
Untitled

KnightRider666

KnightRider666 said:

Wow. The sad part is if this actually comes to the 3DS, and turns out to be good; I may consider a purchase.

Knuckles

Knuckles said:

I became interested in the gameplay when I read Adaptive AI. If the game gets harder, by getting smarter, not insane difficulty spikes, then I might consider a buy.

Webby-sama

Webby-sama said:

Throwing all of my money at the screen.

Make this happen, please. It would be like hitting the jackpot, but bigger cause it's Shaq. A Shaqpot.

Gioku

Gioku said:

Am I dreaming? What is this? I must be having a nightmare! A new Shaq Fu game...? D:

AshFoxX

AshFoxX said:

Really? Now those Shaq-Fu carts i destroyed over the years will be for nothing!!!