Miiverse Gets a Fresh Update for Wii U and 3DS

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Search options! Verified User stalking! Activity Feed screenshots!

Miiverse, the Nintendo social network where we can post doodles, screens and general thoughts on all things Nintendo, has today been updated for both Wii U and 3DS. As Nintendo had the foresight to make it a web-based platform rather than an app, in the typical sense, it means the update is waiting for you without any need for a download or installation.

There are quite a few changes, a few of them so useful and practical that our first instinct is to wonder why these features weren't there in the first place. They're here now though, which is what counts — the full details are below.

1) We've added a community search feature.
Select "Search" on the bottom-right of the Communities screen to search for communities. Just enter a game title (or part of one) in the search field and you'll get a list of all the communities related to that game.

2) You can now see a list of posts by verified users.
Select "Posts from Verified Users" at the top of the Communities screen to display only posts by verified users.

3) You can now see a list of communities for the games you've played.
On the "Favourite Communities" screen, you can now switch between displaying "Favourites" and "Played". Select "Played" to see a list of communities for all the games you've played on the Nintendo 3DS system or Wii U console you're currently using (if they have a Miiverse community).

4) You can now mark a post as containing spoilers even after posting it.
If you forget to tick the Spoilers box when posting, you can now go back and do it later. You can also mark other people's comments on your post as spoilers. Just select the spanner icon on the bottom-right of a post or comment, then select "Set as Spoiler" (the other option is "Delete").

5) You can now attach screenshots when posting to your activity feed.

So there you have it, all rather useful inclusions. The new search and post filtering options are certainly welcome, while it's pleasing that Activity Feed posts can now have a little more colour with screenshots. Which "Verified User" do you plan to stalk on Miiverse?

[via miiverse.nintendo.net]

Warruz

Warruz said:

Now if we can just have a "Take a Screenshot" function that saves the screenshot right then and there without going into Miiverse and can access it later we will be golden!

ikki5

ikki5 said:

this is good an all but... does anyone else find themselves using Mii verse less and less.

hcfwesker

hcfwesker said:

Being able to relabel your post as a spoiler after posting it is a nice update, i usually have to delete my post and repost it to avoid that wonderful miiverse admin message lol. Seeing games communities filter for games you've played is a nice addition as well.

@ikki5 I for one have used it MUCH less than normally. Once the influx of users came with the 3DS merge, it has felt different. So much pointless spam, and post that should get replies get lost in the abyss of spam.

Volmun

Volmun said:

"5) You can now attach screenshots when posting to your activity feed.
If a certain game has a community which allows attaching in-game screenshots to your posts, you will also be able to attach screenshots from that game when posting to the activity feed." Gahhh! I was hoping id finally get to do some Monster Hunter screen shots

RCMADIAX

RCMADIAX said:

Ah! This would be why my followers on Miiverse jumped from 225 to over 400 in the matter of 30 minutes! Good stuff!

KingofSaiyans

KingofSaiyans said:

@ikki5

Somewhat, it's hard to take Miiverse seriously when 12 year olds are running amuck. Some of the comments on there just make me face palm

Ronoh

Ronoh said:

I stopped using it after the first week or so. My main issue is the time it takes to switch between Miiverse on a 3DS and the game I'm currently playing if, for instance, I'm trying to post in-game screenshots of a particular scene. Miiverse itself feels very, very slow. And even when I am switching between the app and a game, when I close the app and re-enter it, I have to go back to the main screen and find my way back to what I was looking at before which takes ages.

jjmesa16

jjmesa16 said:

Great updates but honestly I will probably only use the search feature, which should have been there long ago. The only thing that I use Miiverse for is to look at my activity feed for news from Sakurai, Tom, and other Nintendo executives, and to check out the Pokemon forum.

One thing that they need to fix is the ability to post friend codes under the Pokemon forum so that you can trade and battle through Miiverse instead of having to go elsewhere to meet new people.

Screenshots for any game would also be nice. Imagine a button combo that would take a screenshot from any game and would give you the choice of going to Miiverse or saving it to your camera roll.

There is still a lot of work to be done with Miiverse but it is getting better.

Samurai-Kinopio

Samurai-Kinopio said:

"They're here now though, which is what counts"

No, it's not what counts - or at least, not what only counts; this is why gamers and fans alike look at this patform and say, "Really?!?". Let's face it, sometimes we need to shout back at Nintendo and ask if they have been smoking the green when designing the UI, and other aspects of this system. I love my Wii U, but Nintendo rushed this system and now has constantly had to update the system, which is proof of this.

It's been over a year, and I can't still turn of my gamepad when I'm watching Netflix or some other streaming service. Really? It's that hard to write code for sucha simple option?

TreesenHauser

TreesenHauser said:

@ikki5 When I find myself lacking with newer games, yeah I tend to post less. But now between Tropical Freeze and Lost Levels I'm using it more often again.

Brother_Jolteon

Brother_Jolteon said:

i stopped using miiverse last month. too many annoying kids there, especially on the pokemon community. an example being like, despite the fact that ive been playing pokemon since gen 1, and i know how important trading is, yet i dont like it due to the stupid requests. and then some kid comes along and says something like "well you have to trade, thats why its in the game."

and so i explain how thats exaggerating it to far by saying you must trad. so they get mad and accuse me of bullying and harassing them (yet they are commenting on my post) and they get their friends to false report me. i already got banned twice for stuff like this so i decided not to go back.

Shy_Guy

Shy_Guy said:

I've been using Miiverse less just because it's full of 9-16 year old kids looking for gfs/bfs or "give me a yeah". It's even worse in the Netflix,Hulu,and Youtube communities.

RedYoshi999

RedYoshi999 said:

Nice updates, but unfortunately I don't really like Miiverse anymore. I only look at my activity feed every day to see Sakurai's posts and the comment section always makes me facepalm and hate the casual audience Nintendo attracts.

Gioku

Gioku said:

Interesting... lately, I've only used Miiverse to save screenshots I like, and that's it. I'm gonna be using it a ton once Kirby: Triple Deluxe comes out to get screenshots for the Kirby Wiki! :)

Nintenjoe64

Nintenjoe64 said:

I only use Miiverse for occasional questions or jokes but I have noticed Nintendo are the worst for encouraging spam instead of communication.

sillygostly

sillygostly said:

Can't they do something about the ridiculous amount of time it takes to open Miiverse? It shouldn't take any longer to load than the web browser, considering that they both function in almost the same manner. If anything, using Miiverse via the Wii U/3DS browser as opposed to the UI's native Miiverse feature is significantly faster thanks to HTML cookies meaning that one would not have to wait to be logged into Miiverse… every bloody time.

S-Miyahon

S-Miyahon said:

They should have 2 sections for each community, one for people who wants some help from the community when they're stuck in a certain level in a game, and one for drawings/comments about a certain game, etc, so it's easier for those who want help in a game to get replies, and not get overlooked by other messages.

Daisaku36

Daisaku36 said:

I like the update, I mainly use Miiverse for game information and the occasional post about games I like.

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

@jjmesa16 Screenshots for every game would be great, but the developers need to implement it - which some simply don't bother with (CAPCOOOOM!!!) or don't deem important. Still, Nintendo would do well if they allowed saving screenshots on the WiiU, but I doubt they will do it.

@Samurai-Kinopio That doesn't mean it's not annoying. And there was a time when 12-year old's (and especially older ones) knew how to properly use grammar, or the basics of politeness, which is just more of a reason to be upset about the sheer vloume of spam on MiiVerse (some kids just write 'hello' all caps on every community just for some attention).

@S-Miyahon Would mak sense, but sadly, some won't even bother and spam the wrong place nonetheless.

Ninhau

Ninhau said:

some of these additions should have been there from day one, like the "search" function in communities.

Samurai-Kinopio

Samurai-Kinopio said:

@Kaze_Memaryu

Oh God, don't even get me started with kids and even adults, with their grammar these days. I swear, people don't even know the difference between "You're" and "Your".

Whopper744

Whopper744 said:

Good to see some handy updates. I just wish they could control their troll problem, especially the Smash Bros community.

HeroOfCybertron

HeroOfCybertron said:

The last time I was on Miiverse I was just thinking we need a quicker way to find games other than just looking through the long list so this is good to hear.

erv

erv said:

I'm thinking next console should have a share button on the controller and instant share+screenshot without lag, and instant feed overlay without disrupting the game in a split second and back to it for me to actually use it a bit.

ericwithcheese2

ericwithcheese2 said:

I do like Miiverse still. I think it has a great purpose, and most times when you ask a question about a game, fellow users will come and help you out. I think its unfortunate that a few communities seem to be overrun by immature posts (some communities, like Pokemon, seem to be more prone to this than others), but that is the way of most any internet community.

Jock_Nerd

Jock_Nerd said:

Something is missing still from Miiverse. I like coming back to Miiverse to see and read Smash updates. I'll also read some posts on Super Metroid and view art from Art Academy, but other than that, I don't really post or care to read much of what others post.

I don't have the answer yet, but I believe a forum-like approach (topics with latest/most comments on top) would help. Also, the ability to post short videos would be great, too.

Anyone else have thoughts?

Dpishere

Dpishere said:

I was just wishing that there was a search option last night! Thanks for implementing it Nintendo!

ToonLink795

ToonLink795 said:

This update seems cool but we are still missing an edit post option. It would be nice to be able to edit post on Miiverse like if you made a spelling mistake or wanted to fix something in a drawing you could do so. The only things we can do right now as an edit option on post on Miiverse is set it as a spoiler or delete it that’s it.

noctowl

noctowl said:

I guess I'm extremely lucky, ( or very patient) but switching apps seems quick to me.

I try to have fun with the stupid posts. A kid wrote "anyone want to be my friend" to which I replied "no". Hilarious.

The people that drive me crazy are the "yeah this if you like smash bros" or "thanks for 10 followers woo hoo" and the grammar nazis. Get a life.

FineLerv

FineLerv said:

I want to be able to go to a community and click "posts by friends". This will allow me to go back to a community of a game I had just beaten and clearly see the opinions I value.

AVahne

AVahne said:

@ikki5
I played around with it at launch and remember being excited about its potential, but now I've lost all interest and no longer use it at all.

Shy_Guy

Shy_Guy said:

@GamerOZO Yeah i see those too,very annoying. These kids treat Miiverse like its Facebook,telling their personal problems and stuff. Netflix has turned into the dating community now...

OldWeeDog

OldWeeDog said:

Updates are good and stuff but,
@ikki5
Me too. I use it WAAAAAYYYY less than I used to. I think it is because we actually have some games to play now. Before I used to be on miiverse more than I gamed.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

These are good updates. The best update, though, would be only seeing drawings and not posts. The drawings are what makes me part of Miiverse, along with Sakurai's Pic of the Day.

ultraraichu

ultraraichu said:

Nice update. The software used community be real useful to me. Looking forward to the next update.

It still beats 3/4 of online gaming forums on the web where it's like a post apocalyptic world. Not the deserted kind but the warrior/outlaw kind.

burninmylight

burninmylight said:

"There are quite a few changes, a few of them so useful and practical that our first instinct is to wonder why these features weren't there in the first place."

Damn right. How some of these weren't there from Day 1 just confounds me.

King47

King47 said:

I tried mii verse when it first came out on the 3ds and then when I got my wii u then never again. I dint hate it, but it's nothing special. Also the loading times make it much less desirable to use it.

What I want them to do is fix th wii backward compatibility. It feels like an afterthought, it actually is an afterthought. Also the browser is very bad. Sometimes I don't have my phone or laptop next to me and would want to search something quickly

V8_Ninja

V8_Ninja said:

While this is certainly nice, I just want to see account-tied Eshop purchases before I commit to Miiverse. I can deal with some usability issues, but Nintendo really needs a surefire way to make sure Eshop purchases are not lost when the hardware goes bad. Sure, Nintendo makes consoles that can survive a decent amount of wear and tear, but that isn't enough in this day and age.

dkxcalibur

dkxcalibur said:

How about an update that would allow you to post using the stamps you earn in games. It could be like Nintendo's version of achievements that the user could actually get use out of.

SecondServing

SecondServing said:

"yeah this post if you want Goku in SSB!" or "Does anyone need a BF?" or "I'm a girl anyone want to chat?" or "Follow me and I'll follow you back!".

Miiverse has become a flipping joke. I hardly even use it anymore. Also when I make fun of desperate, attention seeking, 12 year-olds Nintendo bans me for a week. Miiverse was cool until the dumb kids from the 3DS poluted it. I want segregation from the 3DS communtiy Nintendo! Please!

FJOJR

FJOJR said:

The Games Played section was a great addition. Kinda wish screenshot making was quicker and easier to save without having to post to Miiverse.

Samurai-Kinopio

Samurai-Kinopio said:

@andjahiam

"Language is living and changes on the daily basis."

You mean, on a daily basis? You can't even get your rebuttal correct. Your parents must be proud.

The example I used has nothing to do with language and how it changes, it's called grammar. Which hardly, if ever, has changed in the English language. If you think that time will change proper grammar and language and how one should conduct themselves, so they don't come across like they barely made it out of the 6th grade, you may want to invest a little more in your own education. Such examples as "your" and "you're" are basics, and it goes from there; it's not complicated, and if you're going to piggy back onto someone's comment, try not to pride yourself on such ignorance. At the same time, you have more than the right to do so, which you clearly have done.

Good luck with that.

Your last comment was uncalled for completely. Should I ever see you post something like that again, you will be temporarily banned. -Lz

Linkuini

Linkuini said:

Finally, a community search function!

I personally look at Miiverse fairly often. There are definitely a lot of users who post complete nonsense (like anywhere on the internet), but it doesn't seem too hard to filter them out. When I find somebody entertaining, I follow them. Then I look at the list of comments they've given Yeahs to, and I find more people I can follow. Eventually, there's so much good stuff on my Activity Feed that I sometimes forget just how much chaff there is elsewhere.

Plus, it's pretty easy to get help on Miiverse when you're stuck in a game. Perhaps too easy, as some have remarked.

TheAdza

TheAdza said:

So can I comment on random peoples posts now to help out with a game or make new friends etc, like on Wii U, or is the 3DS version of Miiverse still useless to me?

xj0462

xj0462 said:

i wanted a feature where you can edit your posts after you post them, same for comments

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@Volmun

Oh Ikr?!!! That would have to come from Capcom though. I think they decided against screenshots in MH3U due to the fact it would mainly be of monsters, all of which would be spoilers to those who never hunted the monster in question. I'm just speculating here, of course. The other reason I could think of is maybe it's because the game launched so soon after the Wii U released, and that was before every game was including the feature... But the fact they didn't patch it in with the off-screen play and keyboard support tells me they deliberately left the feature out.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@Brickbuild101

That's a good idea, to let 3DS users save screenshots to SD. You know what would have been even better? Including an SD card slot on the Wii U gamepad, and allowing direct saves of whatever is on the Gamepad screen to the SD card- just press the home button then select a little SD icon with a down arrow on it, meaning SAVE TO SD. Even now though, they could allow it to save to the SD in the Wii U console. And they should, if you ask me...

Yoshis_VGM

Yoshis_VGM said:

I kinda stopped using Miiverse once the 3DS community joined and once 3D World introduced the stamp system. People never use the stamps for anything creative and instead just spammed the community down with childish-overbearing stampiness. Seriously, I could never ask for help on Miiverse for 3D World because my post would quickly become buried under spam posts. Miiverse was great once but the quality has rather degraded now...

Zaphod_Beeblebrox

Zaphod_Beeblebrox said:

Search apparently only searches your own region (even if you switch the community list to a different region). I was not able to find the KORG M01D community using search (since it only exists in the European community list). Extremely annoying.

c1pher_c0mplet

c1pher_c0mplet said:

@ikki5 I'm with you. Until Miiverse 3DS incorporates some type of messaging registered persons on my Friends List, it's a cute "My First Social Network" type thing but it's ultimately useless for my needs.

Marioman64

Marioman64 said:

1 3 and 4 should've been there from the beginning honestly, especially the after posting spoilers thing. you have no idea how many times i forgot to put spoiler and had to delete my post and redo it all

OmegaStar

OmegaStar said:

@JaxonH Well, there's an SD Card slot on the Wii U console itself anyway. The only uses it has so far are Mii Maker and Animal Crossing Plaza.

ogo79

ogo79 said:

the only reason i have a wii u is for virtual console. im old school, all these updates, new features and such is way too overwhelming for me. i use a game system for games. too much technology for me, sorry

SPUD

SPUD said:

I thought the "Harvest Moon, a New Beginning" community might have been sorted after this update, but I still can't post on it.