Nintendo Download: 6th February (Europe)

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Golf, farming, an expedition and a load of discounts

It's Nintendo Download update time, Europe, and this week's Thursday offerings are perhaps more attractive for the discounts than the new downloads. We do have the arrival of a DSiWare / 3DS eShop series on the Wii U, along with some classic 8-bit sport and a new DSiWare game, but Rising Star Games perhaps offers the most temptation with a series of retail download discounts. Let's get to it.

Wii U eShop

My Farm (BiP Media, €7.99 / £7.19) — BiP Media's My Farm series has certainly had a consistent run on the DSi and 3DS online stores, and now steps into the home console market with Wii U. We can expect more of the same real-time management of animals and the farm, all to sell commodities and make a tidy profit. We'll muck in for our review, soon.

Wii U Virtual Console

NES Open Tournament Golf (Nintendo, €4.99 / £3.49) — While Golf wasn't new on the NES when this title was originally released in the West, this effort brought a great deal more charm and replayability to the sport. It has three courses and three modes and, most importantly, the two player mode makes it onto the Virtual Console version. We'll hit the Links to let you know what we think, but in the meantime you can check out our 3DS Virtual Console NES Open Tournament Golf review. This is the US version of the game.

3DS eShop Temporary Discount

Urban Trial Freestyle (Tate Multimedia, €3.49 / £3.15 until 13th February, normally €6.99 / £6.29)

3DS Retail Download Temporary Discounts

BIT.TRIP SAGA (Rising Star Games, €9.99 / £8.99 until 6th March, normally €19.99 / £17.99)

Girls' Fashion Shoot (Rising Star Games, €14.99 / £14.99 until 6th March, normally €29.99 / £29.99)

Shifting World (Rising Star Games, €9.99 / £8.99 until 6th March, normally €19.99 / £17.99)

Super Black Bass 3D (Rising Star Games, €9.99 / £8.99 until 6th March, normally €19.99 / £17.99)

Hakuoki: Memories of the Shinsengumi (Rising Star Games, €16.99 / £14.99 until 6th February, normally €29.99 / £29.99)

Jewel Master Cradle of Rome 2 (Rising Star Games, €9.99 / £8.99 until 6th March, normally €19.99 / £17.99)

Jewel Master Cradle of Egypt 2 3D (Rising Star Games, €9.99 / £8.99 until 6th March, normally €19.99 / £17.99)

Beyblade Evolution (Rising Star Games, €14.99 / £14.99 until 6th March, normally €29.99 / £29.99)

3DS Retail Download Demo

Animal Hospital (Bigben Interactive, free)

DSiWare

Hidden Expedition Titanic (MSL, €7.99 / £7.19) — DSiWare makes another return, with this title assigning you the task of exploring the sunken Titanic over the course of 14 missions in 17 locations. It sure sounds like a hidden object game to us, but we'll explore its depths to find out.

Those are the downloads on the way this week, Europe. Let us know if you're planning to pick any of these up in the comments below.

What will you be downloading first this week? (229 votes)

My Farm (Wii U eShop)

NES Open Tournament Golf (Wii U Virtual Console)

Urban Trial Freestyle (3DS eShop temporary discount)

BIT.TRIP SAGA (3DS retail download temporary discount)

Girls' Fashion Shoot (3DS retail download temporary discount)

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward (3DS retail download temporary discount)

19%

Shifting World (3DS retail download temporary discount)

Super Black Bass 3D (3DS retail download temporary discount)

Hakuoki: Memories of the Shinsengumi (3DS retail download temporary discount)

Jewel Master Cradle of Rome 2 (3DS retail download temporary discount)

Jewel Master Cradle of Egypt 2 3D (3DS retail download temporary discount)

Beyblade Evolution (3DS retail download temporary discount)

Hidden Expedition Titanic (DSiWare)

Just the Animal Hospital demo for me

Nothing for me this week

67%

Please login to vote in this poll.

DarkCoolEdge

DarkCoolEdge said:

Virtue's Last Reward for me. I don't know when will I play it but for that price I can't not buy it.

sgotsch

sgotsch said:

I will certainly buy BIT.TRIP SAGA and I'm considerung Zero Escape... :)

edhe

edhe said:

I have Virtue's Last Reward already, and I'd certainly recommend it. I hope they get around to putting the first one on the download service, although to be honest, it's probably simpler to get it on import.

I hear Virtue's Last Reward follows on from 999.

Everything else is underwhelming - for me, personally. Nintendo needs to be putting more stuff out on the Wii U for crying out loud! The regular discounts are nice though.

Jese_1

Jese_1 said:

Nintendo, you talk a good talk, but given the recent run of downloads, you haven't been walking the walk. You announce N64, GBA and DS games for the Wii U VC, and then you give us NES Open Golf. And the 3DS VC gets nothing for two weeks in a row. Really? This is why you aren't getting any of my money, and I'm actually quite a dedicated fan.

Emblem

Emblem said:

Not as depressing as my PS4 gathering dust already (Infamous otw though), but the lack of anything on my rader for a while for Wii U is made worse by a lack of eshop titles.

AyeHaley

AyeHaley said:

WAHHHH Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward (Rising Star Games, €12.49 / £9.99 until 6th March, normally €24.99 / £19.99)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NEED (ooh and Urban Style and BIT.TRIP, finally some discounts I'm interested in!)
Seriously? Zero Escape for 12,50?!
edit: And around my birthday! Gonna treat myself :)

Nintenjoe64

Nintenjoe64 said:

Nintendo are determined to get Wii U owners to stop playing their console. I know Iwata is busy but couldn't they have at least let a 3rd party put some VC games out for these last weeks?

BakaKnight

BakaKnight said:

Last Reward at only 12.49€? OoO;;;
My greatest dream come true!!! ^O^
...
...
...well... maybe now I'm overeacting a "little", anyway thanks a lot Rising Star Games!!! :D

AJWolfTill

AJWolfTill said:

@Hunter-D @sgotsch If you haven't played VLR yet, do NOT let this opportunity pass! It is by far one of the best video game narratives I have ever played and is now my second favourtie franchise after Zelda.

CaviarMeths

CaviarMeths said:

How is Hakuoki? I understand that it's more targeted at a female audience, but if the story is compelling and well-told, I wouldn't mind.

And yeah, if you don't have Zero Escape yet and are at all interested in visual novels, you owe yourself this game.

BenAV

BenAV said:

Anyone who hasn't bought Virtue's Last Reward yet should take this chance, it's amazing.
Gotta make to play 999 beforehand, but it's worth it.

Lord

Lord said:

What a load of tosh. And let me guess the Japanese EShop this weeks is awesome as ever! Who is making these trashy decisions Chanda Nair?

Finntendo

Finntendo said:

Ooo..VLR.. it looks so interesting (maybe my husband doesn´t notice if a new game appears on my 3DS - or our 3ds).

But there's something I've waited for to come down at least 10e - Ken's Rage. How about liiiiiittle pricedrop there.

And how on earth they are so bad with the releases? more, MORE! (okay, I got Unepic and Giana Sisters last week, both so great). And "accidentally" bought Dragon Quest IX while ordering something else online...

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

Awesome! Nothing for me :) (I'm not being sarcastic, my wallet wants a break :P) Although saying that I might pick up Shifting World, but not this week. Or I might just forget about it haha.

hiptanaka

hiptanaka said:

Still waiting for the high profile games to start hitting Wii U eShop. Shovel Knight, 1001 Spikes, Scram Kitty, etc.

Hunter-D

Hunter-D said:

@AJWolfTill I haven't played 999 or VLR but I keep hearing about how good it is. I've got the cartridge for the first game and I'll probably buy this as it's really cheap.

Yasume

Yasume said:

To anyone who hasn't played Zero Escape yet, this would be the perfect time to buy it and get blown away by its excellence.

readyletsgo

readyletsgo said:

Ok, thats a pretty bad week right there. The discounted games, as good as they are, are just not my type of games.

Right! Time to put the breaks on my game spending. I am going to ban myself from buying anymore games for the next 3 months. No interest in DK this month, Kirby (whenever thats out), I just dont like Kirby, Yoshi's 'New' Island is really the only game on the 3ds that I am looking forward to and thats because there is slim pickings. MK8 I think is the next big buy for me and that in May.

Time to go through all the games I have bought over the past 3/4 months that I havent even unwraped yet, once I finish ALTBW's of course.

MAB

MAB said:

Why is everyone waiting for Wii U VC when you can already get the best of alot of systems using Wii mode... I'm sure Nintendo will have 5 of the worst DS games uploaded within the next 2 years ;)

mch

mch said:

Nintendo THIS IS THE TIME OF THE YEAR where you should overwhelm us with VC-SNES, -N64 and -GC gems!!! Open up that stream for us now $£$

Dyl_73

Dyl_73 said:

@sgotsch
Same here. Otherwise it's a pretty uninspiring selection as can be seen in the fact that almost 80% of votes are for the 'nothing this week' option.
You would think that Nintendo / other developers would try and fill the quiet periods of the year with something good. People still want to buy games.

Jazzer94

Jazzer94 said:

Bit.Trip Saga for me everything else is disappointing Nintendo need to get some new releases ready pronto.

JohnG

JohnG said:

Once again, even more rubbish. This really is not good enough.

I keep looking every week in the hope of seeing Nintendo get their finger out and do the right thing.

Every week I am disappointed. NO GB, NO GBC, NO GBA !!!

GamerZack7

GamerZack7 said:

When I read the title I jumped to the conclusion that Mario Golf is finally going to be in the 3DS eShop in PAL territories. How wrong and disappointed I am... :|

PAAppleyard

PAAppleyard said:

@readyletsgo yep, pretty much my thoughts. Gonna make do with games I already have till MK8 is out.

I really think they should be churning out N64, GC, Dreamcast games by now on the VC.

At least we have the Wii mode VC though. I just bought Space Harrier and Golden Axe (Arcade versions) on there and they are great versions. Way better than my Mega Drive versions.

readyletsgo

readyletsgo said:

@PAAppleyard Haha, I finally forgot about the Wii's VC and you go and remind me!

Ah no, not going near it. Stick with what you have RLG, stick with what you have.

datamonkey

datamonkey said:

It's official.

I have given up all hope on expecting Cave Story+ to release in Europe...

Pokefanmum82

Pokefanmum82 said:

i hope we have some of those discounts here in NA. I really want that Hakouki game and Virtue's Last Reward

KTT

KTT said:

Oh boy, I already got Virtue Last Reward, I bought it few months ago, from eShop (and done about 1/3 of the game). Too bad, I would purchase it now with that price.
@FishieFish While I do think of physical copies as superior, I highly recommend purchasing the eShop version of this game due to save - game breaking glitch occuring within the game: It's always nice to have the backup option provided by the system.

ClockworkMario

ClockworkMario said:

Zero Escape for me. I would've bought it at launch, in fact I had already put some money aside for it, but then I read that the European release only has Japanese voice acting, even though a English one exists. That was a deal-breaker for me, but I'm more than happy to pick it up for 1/4 of the original price.

sym1

sym1 said:

Nintendo..... Please......,I can not defend you any longer! What on earth is going on? True there is more in life than worrying about games but please. The wii u could be amazing. It's clear that everybody would be over the moon with a decent vc service. Listen to your fans now because if you don't they will not support you next generation

MAB

MAB said:

@SahashraLA Apparently the Unepic devs have been notified about the aussie eShop no show and they weren't aware of it so hopefully it gets fixed soon... As for the MAB, I'm busy sinking ships and plundering in the superior DIGITAL 4 LYFE version of Assassins Creed IV ;)

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@MAB Most of Wii mode is 20% slower than it should be. (TG16 and a handful of exceptions). Working around it with Triforce is seriously annoying and only works on Neo Geo and Megadrive/Master System. With a US Wii is fine. (Or Wii U). PAL sucks though.

Luffymcduck

Luffymcduck said:

Bank... where art thou...
I wonder if they start releasing GBA games in eShop during my lifetime.

whodatninja

whodatninja said:

Golf? Are you for real? So much for improving the VC... Yet another boring week with nothing of importance! I guess it's better than last week, where we didn't get anything at all, but not by much.

NFreak007

NFreak007 said:

I'm highly tempted to get Bit.Trip Saga for that price, but I think I remember hearing that it had problems with the music going out of sync. Is that true?

AlexSora89

AlexSora89 said:

@Luffymcduck
If Earthbound is anything to go by, at this rate they'll be the selling point for the next handheld (as Earthbound is still missing on the Wii - not the Wii U's, mind you - Virtual Console).

Unit_DTH

Unit_DTH said:

@Emblem
I feel like it's made worse by the lack of upcoming titles for any of the home consoles. I haven't seen anything for the PS4, bar The Order (not coming for a while yet), that warrants a purchase. The dust on my home consoles is getting fairly thick, but my back catalog and the impending US release of Bravely Default will be nice filler in the meantime.

KnightRider666

KnightRider666 said:

Wow, and yet another horrible week for you guys... Wasn't February supposed to bring things back to normal? I hope we get SMB3 this we in NA.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

I wish Rising Star would give us a modern shmup (I guess Under Defeat HD didn't work out that well for them even though prior to that the Dreamcast version was selling for over £100 it doesn't follow that you can sell loads of copies).

Frapp

Frapp said:

Seems the only salvation for the VC would be for Nintendo to outsource it. Even then, that's only after proper unified accounts have been implemented, which looks like we're probably not getting till the next consoles anyway.

Superryanworld

Superryanworld said:

Seems like Europe is having the same problem the us is with vc releases.Is Nintendo even aware this site exists?Listening to your fan base is not such a bad idea Nintendo.

Ootfan98

Ootfan98 said:

Is this a joke?

Who at Nintendo is in charge of selecting VC games for release?
I know there are Issues with publishing rights and emulator issues but for fek sake Nintendo

Surely you can do better than this ? (no Airplane pun intended)

electrolite77

electrolite77 said:

(Opens link)

(Sees no improvement to the VC)

(Remembers there's no proper Account system)

(Shuts link and goes to spend money elsewhere)

chewytapeworm

chewytapeworm said:

Still haven't forgiven VLR for its game-breaking bug. The 24hrs or so of immersive gameplay I plowed through was great, but I just can't bring myself to start it all over again from scratch, which is a terrible shame...

Sneaker13

Sneaker13 said:

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward looks really interesting for this price. But I think I really want a retail version of this game. But that price. What to do, what to do. And perhaps that Titanic game if it's any good.

Sceptic

Sceptic said:

lol, that's some list. It's like they're sounding for WiiU rock bottom.

"Nope, not quite yet."

Windy

Windy said:

Oh boy....Nintendo is starting 2014 about how the Broncos played last night :P but seriously thats a great deal on Zero Escape but I already have. I'm lookin forward to Flying Fairy this week. I wasn't real thrilled with the demo and I'm Hoping the game will feel like a better experience. I really liked Four Heroes of Light and felt the Flying Fairy Demo was not even near as good. However it was a demo and I realize that's all it was. Also there hasn't been a whole lot of info about Mario Golf for 3ds I'm starting to worry about that title even making it. I'm really hoping for a great online experience with that game.

Windy

Windy said:

@KnightRider666 Hey I started playing Runefactory 4 this week. I gotta say WOW! I'm blown away by how the open world play feels flawless. Unfortunately I'm working on finishing up Shin Megami OverClocked which I'm probably about halfway done with. I will get back to Runefactory as soon I beat OverClocked but just wanted to say Thanks for the recommendation cause I love it. I played it about 3 hours the other day.

xj0462

xj0462 said:

wow... every single download week this year have sucked!!! that has to be a record of some sort!

Weedy

Weedy said:

@AJWolfTill
That's clear since you have an image from the first game as your avatar. 999 is the only game I imported for my DS and it was soooo worth it.

Excep7ional

Excep7ional said:

Zero Escape is an absolutely amazing game. This was my very first visual novel and I have to say that I was very impressed. I played this game for hours and hours on my Vita till it died, charged it up and continued for hours and hours more. Do yourself a favor and pick this game up, especially at this price.

crimsontadpoles

crimsontadpoles said:

Wow, that price is great for Virtue's Last Reward. That game kept me very engrossed in it for hours.

However, a save-corrupting bug can occur in it, so it's worth backing up the save data periodically if you have the digital version (this is done by selecting VLR on the 3DS main menu, and then selecting the triangle on the bottom left near the 'Manual' and 'Open' options)

ledreppe

ledreppe said:

@DarkCoolEdge

Just be warned that when I played it over a year ago (download version) I encountered a bug that prevented me loading my game progress. I get a black screen and have to power off the 3DS. I don't know if they've released a patched version, but I got nowhere with the games european publisher when I contacted them. There was a save game bug that has a work around, and that's what they kept giving me but I told them it was a load bug, and I haven't seen any patch released for this problem.

Chunky_Droid

Chunky_Droid said:

Try being Australia, all we got was Golf!

But Zero's Last Reward: Can NOT recommend that game enough.

Manaphy2007

Manaphy2007 said:

i already have the sequel for 999 in the states at a discount and still havent played it, though i played the first so i guess i need to finish the first before moving to the sequel.

Seren77

Seren77 said:

@MAB today I'm asking twotribes if they will show fran how to get unepic to Australia, (long shot but worth a try)

KnightRider666

KnightRider666 said:

@Windy: You got it, dude. Have fun with it:) I'm starting to wonder about Mario Golf 3DS as well. I'm also hoping for an amazing online experience with it. I picked up a complete copy of Giana Sisters DS off of amazon(for just under $12), and I should have it in a week or so. People were raving about it a while back. Let's see if it's worth it. I'm hoping for Retro City Rampage DX and SMB3 this week.

Seren77

Seren77 said:

@MAB well two tribes did send a tweet to fran, and he tweeted back, as far as the conversation went I don't think unepic will be coming to Australia, his just not comfortable with paying for classification here :(

AyeHaley

AyeHaley said:

Glad those discounts are valid till March 6th, I just spend a boatload on other stuff. Glad I got enough to buy Urban Trial for now.

Anyone else who also doesn't like these barren months? I have most time and energy to game Jan-March but there is hardly anything new worth getting.