Rumour: Smash Bros. Heading for a Spring 2014 Release

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Lost in translation?

There have been rumours bouncing around for a few weeks that Super Smash Bros. on Wii U and 3DS may arrive during the Spring of 2014, mainly based on retail listings. They've been loose rumours at best, but an interview given by Nintendo Germany's Bernd Fakesch has prompted speculation that Sakurai-san's hotly anticipated fighting game could indeed arrive in Spring / Q2 of 2014.

Here's what he reportedly said (translated on NeoGaf) to neckar-chronik.de.

For next spring two more big license games are also announced for our TV console with Mario Kart 8 and Super Smash Bros.

A google translation of the page is a little more garbled, unsurprisingly, but produced largely the same result. We see three possibilities: Fakesch is right but has let slip early, he's just got it wrong, or it's a mis-quote / translation issue / bit of both. We'd lean towards the latter options, in truth, as Smash Bros. games notoriously take plenty of development time and effort; even with Namco Bandai weighing in with its expertise, Masahiro Sakurai isn't known for producing projects quickly and arguably ahead of time.

Nintendo executives often cite Smash Bros. when referencing big games on the horizon for the Wii U, so this may have been an instance of that being phrased poorly. Yet still, it's fun to consider the possibility that the titles (for it's due on 3DS too) could come relatively soon. At the very least it's a chance to consider the upcoming lineup of confirmed Wii U games, and debate when they'll arrive throughout 2014.

So take a big portion of salt with this one and have at it in the comments below.

[via neogaf.com, neckar-chronik.de]

Related Games

TromboneGamer

TromboneGamer said:

I wouldn't doubt it. It'll be six years since brawl's release next year. Seems to be the trend when it comes to smash games.

WiiUExposed

WiiUExposed said:

It shouldn't take even the same time as Brawl's development. Namco Bandai's helping, there's no story mode, and the online won't have to be shoehorned in.

Stubborn_Monkey

Stubborn_Monkey said:

Gott im Himmel! And I thought that a Q4 2014 release would be reasonable!

So, Sakurai was (laugh)ing at the people who couldn't wait to get the game all this time?

Mytoemytoe

Mytoemytoe said:

If this is true, I consider it good news. It would be a good sign that Nintendo feels confident in their Fall/Winter line-up, enough not to hold back on Smash Bros. and Mario Kart.

I hope I'm right!

evanescent_hero

evanescent_hero said:

As of next February, the game will have been in development for two years. A spring release is without a doubt plausible.

Ecto-1

Ecto-1 said:

Hmm... if this is true, 2014 just got even more interesting. I was personally thinking of Smash as a late 2014 if not early 2015 title. If it releases in the spring, I can't help but wonder what else Nintendo has in store for the holiday shopping season next year.

DakotaM47

DakotaM47 said:

Well, if this is true and both of them don't get delayed, I'm gonna have to choose between Mario Kart 8 or Super Smash Bros. U for the Summer.... Ugh, decisions, decisions.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

If this is true, there is something more that could be implied from this. Namely, that the Wii U version may hit sooner than the one on 3DS, which would work wonders to have people buying a Wii U, as not everyone will double dip. And it also makes sense since the Wii U version is the one being shown more.

Still, I won't get my hopes up until we get confirmation from an official source.

GuSolarFlare

GuSolarFlare said:

hope it's true! :D :D :D :D

but if the WiiU version comes before the 3DS Version it'll be only deception to me.... gloomy darkness..... really sad.......

Adam

Adam said:

I would think the previews would be coming out faster if this were true. It has never sounded like Sakurai felt close to finished. I feel as if they would not have left this big of news to Nintendo of Germany to announce.

grimbldoo

grimbldoo said:

@WiiUExposed #3
Tsk, tsk, tsk. You know better than that. Balancing the characters takes a lot of time. The lack of balance was the biggest complaint when it came to Brawl; Nintendo doesn't want to make that same mistake again.

B-Squared

B-Squared said:

I honestly hope this isn't true, only so the game can have the most time possible to polish it and make it great! I would say Summer at the earliest, maybe August? If it was, I'd be wondering what we'd see in the Fall and Winter of 2014 then. :P

That said, maybe they will release one version ahead of the other. Like, the 3DS one; you'd get time to get that mysterious feature you can transfer between versions ready for the Wii U....but who knows. I do feel if any version would pop out faster, it'd be 3DS...otherwise, who would buy the portable one if it came out last? Smash on the go is amazing but I feel the Wii U one would steal the show.

MeddlingIdiotStaff

MeddlingIdiot said:

I can't see it coming out anytime close to Mario Kart 8's arrival unfortunately, which is due by Spring if it's to fall within this fiscal year. Nintendo have made a point of spacing out releases throughout 2014, so that there's no repeat of the drought of games we saw earlier this year. We'll be lucky to see Smash before 2015.

Obito_Tennyson

Obito_Tennyson said:

Hey, Pokemon X and Y were revealed in January and took nine months to be released. It was a masterpiece of addiction. Super Smash Bros. was revealed in June, and the development team is even stronger than before. It'll turn out amazing by the end of Winter. Come, who could possibly argue about Mario, Sonic, AND Mega Man all in the same game fighting each other to the death?! It gets even better... IT'S IN HD!!

IceClimbers

IceClimbers said:

@B-Squared Nintendo would WANT the Wii U version to come first to push units. If the 3DS version were to come first, which is highly unlikely, it would steal the spotlight and completely overshadow the Wii U version. They can't afford that. The Wii U version looks like it is actually reusing a lot from Brawl at the moment, including the game's engine. It will end up taking less time than the 3DS version, which they had to build from scratch.

@MeddlingIdiot Pushing Smash to 2015 would be a terrible idea. They need to push Wii U units, which is what Smash and Mario Kart will do. DKC, X, Bayonetta 2, Yarn Yoshi, and SMT x FE won't move units. If they move Smash to 2015, they basically lose another year's worth of major Wii U sales.

grimbldoo

grimbldoo said:

@WiiUExposed
That's like saying that having five chefs work on the same pot of soup will make it cook faster, yet physics says otherwise. Then can have as many people test the characters as they want, but they can only move so fast if they want to actually balance each character.
In reality, they have to balance the characters one at a time and making even small adjustments to a character can send ripples out that cause the other characters to need to be rebalanced.
It is not nearly as cut and dry as you are making it out to be.

Groosenator

Groosenator said:

As a German speaker, I can verify the translation from NeoGaf. However, I'm personally going to remain skeptical; I don't think the game will be ready by then.

WiiUExposed

WiiUExposed said:

@grimbldoo
Actually if you have five chefs preparing the soup, those chefs can prepare the ingredients individually rather than one chef preparing all himself. Gotta try a little harder man.

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

When I first read about this rumor, I was as skeptical about it as I was about the other Spring 2014 rumors from retailers. Then when I learned that it came from a Nintendo manager, it got a little more legitimacy, but I'm still skeptical. Yes, Namco-Bandai is helping and they are a huge help because without them we would've been waiting for at least 5 years for Sakurai and HAL to work on the games on their own, but let's not forget that Sakurai is almost an perfectionist when it comes to his games. He is not afraid to take his time. Also, there is going to be an Adventure Mode in these games, just not with cutscenes.

I'm not going to completely dismiss it like I did the retail rumors, but it's a good idea to just wait for Nintendo and Sakurai to make the announcement down the road. If they do release in Spring 2014, I would be pleasantly shocked, but then I would also be a little concerned that the games would be lighter in content compared to Brawl as a result. For now, though, I'll just wait for Nintendo's announcement whenever that comes.

MeddlingIdiotStaff

MeddlingIdiot said:

@IceClimbers I agree, but based on Sakurai's previous releases I think 2014 is quite optimistic. Regarding the rumoured Spring release, considering the game is still in development it's unlikely Nintendo could pull of the localisation and necessary promotion by then. I honestly think they'll stagger all major first party releases in future anyway, just in case there happens to be any third party delays (Rayman Legends anyone?)

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

If I recall correctly, I believe it was stated that the two versions will NOT be releasing simultaneously. So it is entirely feasible that the Wii U version releases first and the 3DS version follows 4-6 months later. Considering MK8 will certainly hit next spring, and Nintendo won't want to crowd the release schedule- they'll probably end up wanting to spread their games out, and will end up delaying Smash Bros 4 until next fall.

Also keep in mind, when Nintendo says spring, what they REALLY mean is fall. Pikmin 3 was lined up for Q2, and ended up releasing in August. I don't think Nintendo (or anyone for that matter) likes to drop its big releases during the slow summer period, so it'll almost certainly be pushed back to Aug/Sep/Oct, which has proven to be Nintendo's biggest release window. They do usually release one big one for the holidays, but we see more 1st party releases in those 3 months than any other window I think.

JumpnShootMan

JumpnShootMan said:

I'll add to @Groosenator and verify the translation. Though it is strange that he says that these two titles have been announced (implying already announced). That seems like a misquote or misstatement to me.

Doma

Doma said:

Even if true, they'll find a way to delay it. I can assure you.

GamerGleek47

GamerGleek47 said:

Am I the only one who think that if they want to move units they have to release it wether on Spring or in Christmas time. I feel that if they release it on mid-year (September-August) it will be kinda lost :/ I don't inow that's my opinion :/

grimbldoo

grimbldoo said:

@WiiUExposed #28
Oh sure they can, and then they will just be sitting around waiting for energy to transfer, which which happens the same rate no matter how many chefs are present. Additionally, different ingredients are added into the broth at different times, so a single chef could have every ingredient ready by the time they needed to be ready and therefore cook the soup at the same time.

IceClimbers

IceClimbers said:

@MeddlingIdiot They'll definitely stagger 1st party releases like they've done this year with the 3DS. Assuming this rumor is false, I think we will see DKC Tropical Freeze on February 21st, Mario Kart 8 in March, Bayonetta 2 in April, and Yarn Yoshi in May/June, with SMT x FE, X, Smash, that 3rd Sonic game, and Zelda (if we're lucky) in August-November. There's also any other game that might be revealed before then (coughMetroidcough).

ikki5

ikki5 said:

@X-Factor

why does Nintendo need to give you a release date to save money? Just start saving for it now and when it comes, you'll have the money....

WaxxyOne

WaxxyOne said:

Whoever started this rumor is being really, REALLY optimistic. At BEST the game could be released in time for next Christmas, and they'd probably have to rush it to make that happen. I doubt Nintendo even knows which quarter they'll be releasing it in. They might have a target, but this early in development that's probably going to shift.

IceClimbers

IceClimbers said:

@Zelda_28 That's far too late. Q3 2014 is more likely, with a delay into Q4 2014 so it can be the Wii U's biggest game for the holidays. The 3DS version might be pushed to Q1 2015 though.

2Sang

2Sang said:

WOW! I can't believe it. I hope the quality is at least decent, please don't rush Sakurai.

Nico07

Nico07 said:

I wonder if the two referenced games are Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze and Mario Kart 8. I guess it could go either way and technically February is not Spring, but either way my big three purchases for the Wii U in 2014 will be DKCTF, MK8, and Smash Bros (both versions). So as soon as they are ready I will be buying them all retail on day one. After that hopefully the big N and other third party have some more compelling titles to announce at E3 for a short release.

Hortencio

Hortencio said:

...which becomes November 25th, 2014. Honestly, I'm fine with anytime next year, I have plenty on my plate 'til then.

Nintenjoe64

Nintenjoe64 said:

I'm sure Nintendo have hinted at this kind of date already but it was so long ago that we've come to expect delays.

Purple

Purple said:

so it's like they got 2 games coming out in 2014.. .Mario Kart 8 and Super Smash Bros. i wonder if they'll release anything else ...

SockoMario

SockoMario said:

Eh, Spring 2014? I'm not to sure about that. We only have 17 characters out of 40(?) revealed. I'm guessing the final roster total will be 38 - 42.

SomeBitTripFan

SomeBitTripFan said:

@grimbldoo: Your soup metaphor is flawed. Sakurai and his team can't sit back and let the game make itself. Man hours are the only thing that bring this game closer to being complete. Assembly lines are a faster method than a single person making a whole product, this isn't any different in prospect.

Xiao_Pai

Xiao_Pai said:

Hard to say really...Sakurai tends to delay his games often, he also said the 3DS version could come out first.

rjejr

rjejr said:

Not. Gonna. Happen.

DK:TF is Feb, so MK8 should be April, but SSB won't be released until Aug.

Basically what @JaxonH said.

Plus, in case you've all forgotten, SSBB didn't exactly release on time. It actualy got delayed twice. SSBU hasn't even had an official announcement yet to be delayed from. No way no how SSB is out before summer, i.e. Q3. MK8 really should be Q2 though.

Don't think I've posted this yet today:

BTW - did TW put in a 16 hour day today, it's been that long since the first 3DS update post this morning, with a bunch in between? Don't you people have labor laws over there ;-)

grimbldoo

grimbldoo said:

@SomeBitTripFan #60
Let me break down my metaphor for you:
-The single chef is the whole team working together
-The soup is the game
-The ingredients are the characters, stages, backgrounds, music, etc.
-The energy is the balancing
Of course the all of the ingredients can be prepared faster with more than one team, but the balancing, which is the main part of this game, has to be done by a small, constantly communicating group (probably not including significant involvement from Namco) to make sure that it is done properly. So even if all of the ingredients are complete, the game can't be released until the balancing is correct, until the energy has pervaded throughout the entire soup.
Maybe the balancing is a quicker process than the ingredients and, in that case, the more the merrier, but Sakurai's comments make it seem otherwise.

TL;DR, more chefs sure are nice, but do not necessarily speed up the release.

Nomad

Nomad said:

I can see this as possible. Reggie said that we wouldn't see the same slow trickle of releases for the Wii U in 2014.

Haxonberik

Haxonberik said:

I was actually expecting November 2014-March 2015. It seems unrealistically soon by Q2.

MagicEmperor

MagicEmperor said:

There is no way in hell it's coming next spring. :( I wouldn't be surprised if this game comes out in 2015.

R_Champ

R_Champ said:

@B-Squared

I agree with you on the quality aspect. Mario 3D World is a good example. It took FOREVER, but was well worth the wait IMO. Sure, I want Smash Bros. now, but I don't want a watered down version just so they can get it out sooner. Releasing the 3DS version first does make some sense though...but I doubt the crazies who are claiming it looks better than the Wii U version would be happy with the cuts it'd probably receive because of that.

Gerbwmu

Gerbwmu said:

Doesn't it all depend on what else is coming out in 2014? We know of DKCTF and MK8. And even MK8 doesn't have a release date yet. If we indeed have Boyonette 2, "X", FE vs SMT, Yoshi as all possibilities....then maybe it is plausible.....cause I haven't heard a peep about any of the other games....at least I'm getting screenshots from Smash. We all know the 1st 2 quarters will be slow for the twins (other then PS4 release on Japan).....if they can pump out MK8 and Smash early....I think it would be a huge boost for Nintendo....but I expect it in November....

LUIGITORNADO

LUIGITORNADO said:

It's possible. There is no SSE, the models don't look all too different than Brawl, and the team is larger and was already in place.

WaLzgiStaff

WaLzgi said:

You do realize that there will never be a balance among characters

grimbldoo

grimbldoo said:

@DarkwingLz
Actually, there will be. "Balanced" means that the characters do not easily overpower each other because of faults. Not even a balance beam is 100% accurate.

Jaco

Jaco said:

"Notoriously " long development? Only Brawl took a rediculous long time to make. Melee was a quick turn around from the original

drumsandperc92

drumsandperc92 said:

if both MAJOR nintendo franchises such as MK and Smash are making there way to Wii U in just the spring alone, what the hell else does Ninety have up their sleeve to make us last into the Holiday season 2014???
Can you say, Zelda U Dec 2014?! christ. if those three games came out in one year, that's it, i'd be sold. I'd pick up a Wii U asap.
Thank being said Nintendo has been pretty bad about delays lately. so we'll see.
i'll take this with a grain of salt.

Tsurii897

Tsurii897 said:

Read through the interview and he clearly says "Frühjahr"/spring o.O

Fakesch is the head of Nintendo of Germany AND the headquarters of Nintendo of Europe are pretty close to them iirc, so I can't really imagine, that he got something wrong...It's possible, but not as possible if for example "just" a spokesman announces something like this.

FineLerv

FineLerv said:

I just want the online to work and have voice chat. It will be a shame if the Brawl fiasco was repeated.

KillScottKill

KillScottKill said:

I buy it. Nintendo's MO when hardware sales struggle is to push titles left and right. Wouldn't be surprised to see SSB in the Spring, MK8 in the Summer/early fall, and another major title in late November.

Mk_II

Mk_II said:

I think we can safely assume that Nintendo is pulling out all the stops to bring the AAA games to the Wii U as fast as they can.

CountEkkiM

CountEkkiM said:

Nintendo dont release smash and kart at the same time, they sell less and i cant buy both at the same time and i think im not the only one. Sooo.. Give us smash now!! xD

Giga-Microwave

Giga-Microwave said:

The translation on neogaf is correct BUT in the original article it's "Für nächstes Jahr sind außerdem mit Mario Kart8 und Super Smash Bros. zwei weitere große Lizenzspiele für unsere TV-Konsole angekündigt."
Don't know where he's got that "Frühjahr" from, Fakesch actually said "for next year", not "for next spring".
Sorry, guys ;)

Stubborn_Monkey

Stubborn_Monkey said:

@Giga-Microwave

Uh-oh. I checked it out and it seems you're right. The newspaper noticed the mistake and edited it.
Anyway, it is unrealistic to expect SSB before Christmas 2014, Sakurai often says that it's still in development when he posts screens on Miiverse...

Stubborn_Monkey

Stubborn_Monkey said:

Aaand we're back were we where a day ago. DKC for winter, MK8 for spring, and a vague "2014" date for Smash Bros.

Easy come, easy go.

mostro328

mostro328 said:

I agree with what most are saying release the wiiu ver. First at E3 announce some awesome way both titles Work together then release the 3ds version in fall, i can't wait

thesilverbrick

thesilverbrick said:

There's no way this can be true. I'd love it by Spring, but do you remember how many times Brawl was delayed? Add to that the fact that this game will undoubtedly be larger than Brawl, that Nintendo is new to working with HD and that they're making two versions for two different consoles and it's easy to see that we'll be waiting until holiday next year or beyond for this game.

Alucard83

Alucard83 said:

Well of course it will get earlier release. Now they are little climbing again they have to keep coming up with more AAA+ titles! Nuff said

UnseatingKDawg

UnseatingKDawg said:

Eh... I think it's a slight mess-up. Spring seems too early - I'm betting either late fall or holiday 2014.

Rafie

Rafie said:

@Ecto-1 My sentiments exactly. This isn't coming in the Spring. C'mon guys/gals, you seriously don't think Nintendo will release 2 of it's biggest blockbuster games within weeks of each other, do you?! That would severely take away from one of the games releasing. I can see Mario Kart OR Smash U in the spring, but not BOTH! I really hope it's Mario Kart and let Sakurai keep perfecting Smash. Either way this is happy unconfirmed news. :)

kuribo4

kuribo4 said:

I don't know why people are so confused about the development time of Smash Bros.
Releasing in spring would mean a development time of 2 years, just like Brawl.

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

Knowing Nintendo, they would eventually delay it the moment they found some issues which I had no problem with.

JuanitoShet

JuanitoShet said:

If this turns out to be true, that's great. But if it isn't, I'm willing to wait as long as I have to for it!

All I know is that I'm gonna be savin' up cash, so I can be ready to buy it at launch or soon after! :B

grimbldoo

grimbldoo said:

@Jazzer94 #100
your*
You're right, I did try to cram too much into there and it just became a mess. I'll just stick with good ol' economics; the rate of increase decreases per additional worker until there is no longer an increase because the workers outnumber the resources.

@WiiUExposed #107
Let's revisit your original statement

WiiUExposed wrote:

What you stated is true, but you forgot the fact that the game is now in HD. Nintendo had six year gaps when it was still working in SD. Now that it is working with HD and probably a similarly sized group, don't you think that it's reasonable for the production time to increase? Several of the first party games have already been pushed back and Nintendo itself stated that it is still getting used to working in HD. This could easily add on a year or two just by itself, take away a few months with Namco's help.
With the HD adding two years, let's move onto the balancing. The act of balancing could add on six months to a year to that total time because it is a lengthy and, according to Sakura's statements, a difficult process.
I can see why you would think that adding on a few more members would magically reduce production time, but there is more going on than you are acknowledging. The fact that Nintendo took on Namco's help should be a sign in itself that this is a huge project for Nintendo and that it will take time.

Bunnysbungee

Bunnysbungee said:

I cant wait. I have only ever played was mutiplayer mode and always wanted the game, nows my chance!