Male Wii Fit Trainer Revealed as Latest Smash Bros. Challenger

Posted by Rory Cocker

He should Fit right in

Back at E3 2013, it was revealed that the female Wii Fit Trainer would be a playable character in the upcoming Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and Nintendo 3DS. It looks like she'll be in good company; series producer Masahiro Sakurai sent a post to Miiverse earlier today, indicating that her male counterpart would indeed be joining the chaotic mishmash of styles and franchises that is Super Smash Bros.

The capacity in which the male trainer will feature isn't yet known, but we're going to stick our neck on the line and say he's almost certainly going to act as a 'costume swap' for the female Wii Fit Trainer. In the screenshot, we can see that both characters are performing the exact same jump, which seems to suggest an identical moveset for both characters.

Hopefully, this isn't another case of two very similar characters taking up slots on the roster. Super Smash Bros. Brawl featured three Star Fox characters who were essentially just model swaps - Fox, Falco and Wolf. Of course, it's possible that the male trainer could be nothing more than an assist trophy, but this seems unlikely.

What do you think of this latest reveal? Can you see yourself playing as the male Wii Fit Trainer? Do you like gender equality? If you answered yes, you are an awesome person.

[via miiverse.nintendo.net, gonintendo.com]

Related Games

ninjapenguin1

ninjapenguin1 said:

Ya. Definitely a costume swap. Don't see why they'd waste their time adding hm as a completely different character.

ninjapenguin1

ninjapenguin1 said:

I could see them doing this with the Villager as well, as it's name is non-gender-specific and could easily be made a girl.

tripunktoj

tripunktoj said:

I don't mind model swaps like C. Falcon and Ganondorf, the Fire Emblem characters on Melee or even the Star Fox characters in Brawl, they have very different looks, personalities and background, but this is not the case for the Wii trainers and Id be very upset if they left out another character because of him. However if this is another skin of the same character it'd be a great idea if implemented on more characters, Id love the return of Dr. Mario.

Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko said:

Its not an actual separate character. This picture is up on the website, but he wasn't added to the character roster like the other reveals.
It makes total sense, and just like what ninjapenguin1 said, this could happen with the Villager too. I'm actually thinking it might happen for the pokemon trainer as well, since they're all games that feature non-gender specific roles that can be given any name by the player.

DuplexGemini

DuplexGemini said:

I definitely believe it's a costume swap where he has the exact same moveset as the female trainer, similar to Wario in Brawl where you can change from his WarioWare outfit to his regular dungarees outfit.

If not, it'd be a waste of space to make room for more potential characters that I hope make it in such as Ghirahim, Shulk or maybe Little Mac.

19Robb92

19Robb92 said:

Awesome! I always thought the alternate Wario/WarioWare costumes was a great idea in SSBB. I love that they're taking it a step further this time around!

Hunter-D

Hunter-D said:

This is an alternate costume, Rory, not another character. Although Sakurai's post did catch me off guard initially.

All the characters so far:
Untitled

Domon

Domon said:

@tripunktoj Totally agreed, many of the previous swaps had interestingly different enough backgrounds to justify other people playing as them. But hopefully this is just a costume change, because otherwise it would just be like having the male and female Pokemon Trainer as separate characters (w/ same Pokemon).

CasuallyDressedStaff

CasuallyDressed said:

"we're going to stick our neck on the line and say he's almost certainly going to act as a 'costume swap' for the female Wii Fit Trainer."

!!!

tripunktoj

tripunktoj said:

A little off-topic, that same Miiverse post says Wii Fit U is available now... maybe he means in Japan, I checked and its still dated for 11/1 on the American eShop.

Hunter-D

Hunter-D said:

Actually he's talking about the Trial version of Wii Fit U, but yeah normally he's referring to the Japanese release dates.

Banker-Style

Banker-Style said:

Has to be an alternative costume, if not, then there's some really botch-up prioritys at the devs HQ.

Fazermint

Fazermint said:

Like the comments above, I hope this is merely a costume swap and not a character on its own. It's bad enough that uninteresting characters like the Villager and the Wii Fit Trainer were added to the game, but now Wii Fit occupies two slots? NO PLS.

@readyletsgo I was just thinking that! :D

Lobster

Lobster said:

"Do you like gender equality? If you answered yes, you are an awesome person."

I guess I'm a terrible person then, because I would hate for him to take up an entire slot (I don't think he will) and as a woman I get tired of the under representation of women in games, and the fact that the "default" gamer (and thus character option, when offered) is still assumed to be male when women make up 45% up gamers these days. I mean come on.

So in this case I am a terrible person because "gender equality" would mean adding yet another dude. I thought it was super cool Nintendo added the female trainer over the male one to start with. I think it's cool that she still appears to be the default option. Finally!

OK, I'm not actually going to discuss this further, like that's all I have to say on this topic and I won't be checking the comments on this article further. Sorry if people felt this was a derail, I was just responding to two sentences that really stood out to me.

AJWolfTill

AJWolfTill said:

@WrappedInBlack Don't be an donkey, she raises a valid point and you know it.

Anyways this has made me extremely happy since it pretty much confirms costume swapping! I'm now hoping for a Lucina costume for Marth :)

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

He has to be an alternate form of Wii Fit Trainer. He doesn't show up on the Smash Bros. website other than the Pic of the Day and there's no character intro video. Besides, that would be foolish for him to be a separate character. As the article already pointed out, he's using the same jump as the female counterpart in the screenshot. He's also more than likely not an assist trophy too. This unofficially confirms alternate costumes to me.

Anyway, it's cool seeing him in it. It only makes sense that a gender-neutral character like Wii Fit Trainer would have both genders available. I wouldn't be surprised to see a female Villager. Now I just wonder how limited these alternate forms and costumes will be. Will they be only for a couple characters or will a bunch of characters have them? It'd be cool to see Pit have an alternate form of Dark Pit with his own voice and everything.

Reynoldszahl

Reynoldszahl said:

@Lobster I understand your problem here. When there are playable female characters they are often half naked and not very respectable.

Prof_Clayton

Prof_Clayton said:

This is just a color-swap for Wii Fit Trainer, as @Tsuchionko said, as he got no new page on their site.
It's also been a month since the last new character announcement. Mark my words, they'll have a nintendo direct soon, with a new character at the end of tons of SM3DW, Mario Party 3DS and M&S Olympics footage.

cookiex

cookiex said:

I guess this works in a similar way to Wario's different costumes in Brawl. Both trainers get four colours each.

LightSamus

LightSamus said:

So here's my opinion, costume changes should be more then just a "costume".

Remember in Melee how Mario and Dr. Mario had the same animation but the properties of attacks differed slightly? (trajectories of the hit opponent were different between the two Marios)

I think a costume change should also change a characters properties in that respect, maybe Female Trainer has a meteor hit on a particular move, but Male Trainer has it on a different move (Such as a downstrike meteor for one, and a upwards/sideways meteor for the other). Adding to the strats on how to play a particular character. I think that'd be awesome..

Pinkman

Pinkman said:

Am I the only one who doesn't think that the wii fit trainer was a good character choice? It just doesn't seem to fit the style of the rest of the characters and seeing her/him next to other characters it just seems so out of place.

thesilverbrick

thesilverbrick said:

@Pinkman The only thing that constitutes a "good character choice" in Smash Bros is a character's relevance to Nintendo. Let's not forget the underlying theme of Smash Bros: a Nintendo-themed fighting game. In that sense, the Wii Fit trainer is a natural fit (no pun intended) since Wii Fit was a massive success for Nintendo. Heck, she's technically a better choice than Snake, Sonic or Megaman...

marnelljm

marnelljm said:

smh........terrible. All will be forgiven with the inclusion of Zero though! I can dream right? haha

Pinkman

Pinkman said:

@thesilverbrick You make a good point on that basis she/he is an excellent choice, but imo it still looks out of place where sonic and megaman have a similar artistic style the trainer just looks too serious and mature. I don't mean that the game is immature but its like putting ocarinas link in the wind waker it just doesn't fit.

siavm

siavm said:

Since the site is not updated past this pic it is probably a costume swap. The name of the character is called wii fit trainer. So costume swap sounds right.

LavaTwilight

LavaTwilight said:

I doubt he's going to be an 'Assist Trophy'. That's a very long reach but I certainly hope he's not taking up a character slot that would be better suited to someone else. If his 'identical moveset' means he's not taking up space that would stop another character entering the roster then great, if he is though I'd just prefer him to be an alternative 'costume' (used loosely of course).

AJWolfTill

AJWolfTill said:

@WrappedInBlack
I've sure you mean well but you don't have to be so blunt with people. Also I really don't feel that video games are an area where that applies XD

LordJumpMad

LordJumpMad said:

I hope the Male Trainer it's it own character, and more over powered then Metaknight.
They can just give the Male Wii Fit Trainer CaptainFalcon's move set, no body likes him anyway.

MegaAdam

MegaAdam said:

Fox, Falco, and Wolf are all very different characters. They were definitely not just model swaps.

BossBattles

BossBattles said:

@Lobster the reason there is less females in games is because men are the massive majority of gender responsible for their creation, as well as audience.

Do you see tons of men in an oprah audience? No. Therefore she will cater to women, as she obviously does.

When games are not scoffed at by the media as a "little boy" hobby, or a hobby for losers in their basements, maybe there will be a larger change. But a change is NOT needed. Games reflect who is playing them and who is making them quite fairly.

WingedSnagret

WingedSnagret said:

When I first saw this I thought Sakurai had finally lost it. But a quick visit to the main website thankfully revealed that he isn't a separate character. If anything it's just a gender swap.

shinesprite

shinesprite said:

As long as it's just a costume change, I'm fine (like Wario in Brawl). Anything more than that just feels like they are bloating the roster!

LeVideoGamer

LeVideoGamer said:

Who didn't see this coming? Expect the same for Villager.

And sorry Rory, but Fox, Falco and Wolf are not just model swaps. They share 4 similar special moves and a Final Smash, but that's it. Pichu, Young Link, Dr Mario and Roy were model swaps, because bar a slight change in aesthetics, every move they had was the same as another character's. I'm not saying I like the fact that Fox, Falco and Wolf have similar special moves, in fact, I'd like that to change in SSB4, but if you're going to write something, get your facts straight.

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

I'm surprised at the amount of people who were concerned he would be a separate character. In the case of here at NL; I blame the wording of this article's headline.

AVahne

AVahne said:

...... Better be a costume swap.
Though, if this can count as a costume swap, I hope that they can put in Lucina as a costume swap for Marth.

HawkeyeWii

HawkeyeWii said:

Seriously what a waste of 2 characters!
Such a diverse character roster Nintendo has to choose from.... And they choose this garbage.....

Dr_Corndog

Dr_Corndog said:

I'll stick up for Wolf here. He was way more than a clone of Fox. A moves are completely different. Slower, heavier, shorter jump. The only real similarities were in his B moves, and many of those similarities were only cosmetic. OK, he also had the same Final Smash, for what that's worth.

Brawl did suffer from a bit of Star Fox bloat, but that was more Falco's fault; he shared way more similarities with Fox than Wolf did, plus as a character he's a less interesting inclusion.

Morphbug

Morphbug said:

Awesome!

Does this mean they will doing actual costume swaps this time around?

A few different recolors is not enough, nintendo!

I want to play as Princess Daisy, not Peach with another dress!

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

Happy Halloween from Nintendo, everyone! You've been played!

Anyway, if he possessed a different moveset from Wii Fit Trainer, I kinda wouldn't mind him being a separate character. I imagine, though, reading these comments, that current evidence of nothing more than this screenshot on the Smash site, reveals it is probably a model swap.

@marnelljm: X, & Zero would be awesome!

TheN64Dude

TheN64Dude said:

Did you just say Falco and Wolf were essentially model swaps? Did the person writing this post ever happen to play a game called Super Smash Brothers Brawl by any chance?

allav866

allav866 said:

If I ever play as Wii Fit Trainer--which I definitely have to try at least once-- I'm still going to play as the girl.

yuwarite

yuwarite said:

I think a male version of the Wii Fit trainer is a bit insulting to the female gamers who wanted a unique female character, they could associate with. Hopefully, they add a new TRUE unique female character to the roster, with no male counterpart.

Nintendude789

Nintendude789 said:

My God, nobody ever though it might be an ASSIST TROPHY!!??
Maybe it's a clue about Assistant Trophies returning.

Nintendude789

Nintendude789 said:

And no. It's a terrible idea of having Fox, Falco, and Wolf as swap costumes. Falco is actually stronger than Fox, but Wolf is weaker than Fox.

evanescent_hero

evanescent_hero said:

He's clearly an alternate costume.

Like...I don't know how anyone can think he's a different character or an Assist Trophy. They're the same character, just a different gender, and they're quite obviously doing the same move here.

This does give me hope for a female Villager and Pokémon Trainer though, as well as alternate costumes such as Outset Link or Doctor Mario.

SomeBitTripFan

SomeBitTripFan said:

Hopefully he won't have the same moveset/animations.
Untitled
Also take into account the Hula-hoop recovery and other poses. It would almost make this a reality.

themac2001

themac2001 said:

If I play as Wii Fit Trainer and this is a costume swap, i can guarantee i'll be using it. Sorry if i sound a bit sexist.

ecco6t9

ecco6t9 said:

I guess this means that The Villager should have this option as well. And hopefully it will shut people up who complain about that type of stuff.

cheleuitte

cheleuitte said:

Thanks god they added him, I don't like the female caracter at all, even to do my Wii Fit, Wii Fit Plus and now Wii Fit U routine with the male caracter all the time!!

UnseatingKDawg

UnseatingKDawg said:

They should do costume swaps like this more frequently in characters. Then we could have even more options, like Dark Pit and Dr. Mario.

AntiGuy

AntiGuy said:

Here's hoping this is just a costume swap, no way in hell will I accept two characters from a franchise that isn't even a game. The Smash Bros. franchise is going to get stained by adding characters just to hype the new IP's Nintendo's getting out of their donkey instead of giving tribute to those who have been there for ever.
Watch the profanity please — TBD

CasuallyDressedStaff

CasuallyDressed said:

Just to address the comments - OK, maybe calling the Star Fox characters simple model swaps was exaggerating a tad. But you must admit, they were all extremely similar, and, in my opinion, not justified in taking up three slots on the roster.

BulbasaurusRex

BulbasaurusRex said:

Assuming this is a costume swap, it's nice to see one that actually affects the size of the character for once. While we've had minor costume-swaps before (Daisy, Dark Samus, Shadow Link, Wario's two seperate outfits), they've always been completely aestetic changes up until now.

Other costume swaps I'd like to see: female Viilager, female Pokémon Trainer (preferably Serena from X/Y), female Pikachu (with the heart-shaped tail), Battle Network / X / Legends style Mega Man, Dark Pit, classic Sonic and Shadow, multiple versions of Zelda (Ocarina of Time, Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword, etc.), Samus X, and Marth's Awakening design (from the card, not Lucina's alias unless she was included as a separate character).

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

Seriously guys? He is a costume swap, period. There is no Male Wii Fit Trainer profile on the Super Smash Bros. website. He is clearly not an assist trophy because he used the exact same jump as the woman. How about we put the internet to good use? These comments make me feel like I'm reading Miiverse comments, and that is not a good thing.

Also, the notion that an optional male makes this sexually biased is ridiculous. That argument will be void when the likely female Villager is revealed.

SilverArrow

SilverArrow said:

Just because they have the same jump doesn't mean they have the same moveset. Just look at Mario and Luigi in the previous entries. Their jumps are the same but Luigi jumps higher.

Also, instead of being a character of his own, he could just be an alt just like Sheik is to Zelda.

WreckItRyan

WreckItRyan said:

Look at those pecs! ...Er, good 'alt costume' idea. Here's to a female villager and female & male pokemon trainers!

Bray42

Bray42 said:

Nintendo really needs to find a difference between "alt costumes" and different characters. For instance, Lucas and Ness should each get an original move set!

Henmii

Henmii said:

"but we're going to stick our neck on the line and say he's almost certainly going to act as a 'costume swap' for the female"

Hopefully! I don't want to see the "Fit" franchise filling up another character slot! What about King Rool, Rayman, Bomberman?!