3DS Vision Lens to Change the Way You View 3D

Posted by Nintendo Life Staff

April Fool!

This was an April Fool's joke.

Just in case the 3DS's three-dimensional prowess isn't enough for you, Nintendo has just announced plans to augment its already impressive offering by introducing the new 3DS Vision Lens just in time for the holiday season.

The bizarre-sounding accessory promises to get you in touch with your games like never before, beaming light directly into your eyeballs to experience glimmering treasure and sunny skies with "blinding" visual displays that "completely overtake your eyeballs." The system also promises to cure eye fatigue by utilising the player’s actual tear ducts.

What do you make of Nintendo's first official add-on for the 3DS? Will you be queuing up for one this Christmas, or leaving it on the shelf?

NINTENDO ANNOUNCES GROUNDBREAKING WAY TO EXPERIENCE NINTENDO 3DS

April 1, 2011

Put on the new 3DS VISION LENS™ and prepare for fun!

The release of the Nintendo 3DS™ has brought down the barriers between consumers and 3D content, allowing gamers of all ages and experience levels to enjoy 3D gaming with no glasses. Now Nintendo is ready to announce the next evolution of the Nintendo 3DS with the 3DS VISION LENS™.

The 3DS VISION LENS™ is a next-generation accessory for this truly next-generation handheld console. Just as the 3DS removed the need for glasses, the 3DS VISION LENS™ augments the connection with the player, beaming the console's incredible three-dimensional images into a user's visual cortex.

The peripheral utilises the groundbreaking technology of Nintendo’s innovative 3DS Optical Lenses, clear circular pieces of plastic that the player places directly on the retina. The system takes advantage of a player’s scope of vision like never before, dominating the entire area of sight to present Augmented Reality like never before. You’ll see the glimmering treasures of The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D™, the explosions of Star Fox 64 3D™ and the bright blue yonder of Kid Icarus: Uprising™ in a whole new way as blindingly bright light displays enter and completely overtake your eyeballs.

The system will feature numerous additional benefits such as Optical Fatigue Cancelling, solving the problem of tired eyes by periodically activating the user's tear ducts.

Take a look at 3D in a whole new way when the 3DS VISION LENS™ hits stores this Winter.

This was an April Fool's joke.

Issun

Issun said:

OOh nice guys ! Better than my Duke Nukem finally comes out in May news !
Congrats !

ninja_tom

ninja_tom said:

How do we know for certain this is an April fool's joke, it might be real, just because its posted today, why is everyone so sceptical?

citizenerased

citizenerased said:

@ ninja_tom: 3DS, now glasses free! So just put in these lenses, because everyone knows putting lenses in is easier than putting glasses on!

MasterGraveheart

MasterGraveheart said:

Bwahaha! Good one. Even better than GameFAQs listing Duke Nukem Forever, Half-Life 2 Episode 3, Mother 4, Shenmue 3, and Psychonauts 2 for April release! Brilliant, guys. Loved it. :)

R-L-A-George

R-L-A-George said:

LOL, I didn't think about it first but I think it might be an april fools joke too...Come think of it the whole article sounds like Jhonen Vasquez came up with the description on twitter.

mastermp2

mastermp2 said:

Hahahaha. Good one. If this news was with Sony as a company, then... I might have felt for it, but it's Nintendo..... Reggie said "3D without the glasses".

Yasume

Yasume said:

It took me 7 seconds to realize that it was Friday today. I was like what are they thinki...oh wait, >.<

Chunky_Droid

Chunky_Droid said:

Not as good as last year's Virtual Handheld, which even as a staff member at the time had me fooled, lol. But good one Zack :)

V8_Ninja

V8_Ninja said:

Fine, I'm putting on my snarky cap for the rest of the day. I couldn't even wake up without experiencing April Fools shenanigans.

Phobos

Phobos said:

'...beaming light into your eyeballs...' O.O
Is this really an April Fools' joke? I don't see anything that points us in that direction... But on the plus side, at least I realise it's that time of year again.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

Yep, April Fools on this one. What business would Nintendo have making contact lens?

morphballer

morphballer said:

Interesting announcement to be making on April 1st!

Wait... They didn't put April Fools under tags... It's real?!! :o

6ch6ris6

6ch6ris6 said:

april first... i hate this day, because everything you read on the internet is fake .

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

And the manufacturer is Nintendolife, right ? ;)
It's a real shame that E3 doesn't take place on April 1st though.

Link79

Link79 said:

I'm surprised you guys at Nintendolife didn't try to pull the Virtual boy confirmed for VC bit again. Even on 3DS I doubt that'll happen. I'm not falling for anything today.
Sorry no sale.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

Come on now. Nintendo has come up with some weird things in the past but this would actually not be available to everyone as it wouldn't work for those who have contacts already. It wouldn't make sense to have to take out your contacts to put these in and not be able to see because you took your real contacts out. Nintendo is good about releasing add-ons for everyone not just a select group. Although the 3ds isn't for everyone since not all can see 3d. That would be the first.

Ret

Ret said:

Wow, thats the most obvious April Fools I've seen in a few years...

daze0f_theweak

daze0f_theweak said:

I was already fooled once today when my g/f woke me up and told me my family was here to visit me. lol

I will not be fooled again, NiLi!

(NiLi: An abbreviation of NintendoLife which I just invented. This abbrev' is open source, so use it as you wish)

Samholy

Samholy said:

quite...bizarre. light direct in your eyeball ? hahahaha
oh yeah, we are April's first !

Token_Girl

Token_Girl said:

Haha. VH on DSi was better tho, all of teh elation, then all of teh sadness. Of course, now we are getting it (on 3DS).

Big_A2

Big_A2 said:

This is just bad. "Put on the new 3DS VISION LENS™ and prepare for fun!"?

I mean, Mother 4 would've at least have been interesting.

ToastyYogurt

ToastyYogurt said:

When I logged in, I thought that the article reporting the 3DSWare file size limit could be bigger than WiiWare's was fake. I've never been happier to be wrong.

Lotice-Paladin

Lotice-Paladin said:

Even if it were true, I hate contact lenses and would only make me avoid a 3DS if it were the case.

Still...nice idea for a joke.

PSICOffee

PSICOffee said:

Why is everyone crying April Fools? Obviously, the other three stories posted today have an equal chance of falsehood. Personally, I can't wait for these to come out so my eyes don't hurt after five minutes. I'm glad Nintendo is branching out like this.

I think Newton's stories are the fake ones.

jsdman1234

jsdman1234 said:

I'm not buying it. I agree. April Fools joke. Mostly because that kinda eliminates the point of "Glasses Free 3D!" and even if you DID get it from Nintendo, I call shenanigans! They're trying to pull one over us too. Besides, I'm not even sure what all that means. Does it mean you would put the contacts in and it would turn to traditional 3D? Wasteful.

k8sMum

k8sMum said:

so many great replies here...lol. happy april fools day, everyone!! ..

HandheldGuru97

HandheldGuru97 said:

I saw the VH last and it nearly had me. I took me a few seconds to realize it was fake. Happy April Fools!!

komicturtle

komicturtle said:

If only this was real.

It's a great idea for the Nintendo's successor to the Wii if it has 3D (though, it's unlikely).

RYBlast

RYBlast said:

I fell for it at first and then I read the description and knew you were kidding me.

RionaaM

RionaaM said:

April Fools', nice try ;)

BTW, I though I've seen everything that Google made for today, but it seems that they are coming out with a new joke every 5 minutes!

James

James said:

Considering elements of last year's hoax about a Virtual Console for DSi came true for 3DS — Link's Awakening, Game Gear titles for example — perhaps in a year's time we'll all be wearing Vision Lenses and having our visual cortices nicely massaged.