Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and Nintendo 3DS Step Up With More Outfit Variations

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

All the pretty colours

We've learnt in recent times that Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and Nintendo 3DS won't be short of variety; the roster and stage lists continue to grow, while the number of trophies and music tracks are set to be higher than ever. There'll also be plenty of outfits, some rather risqué and others that are simple colour variations.

Masahiro Sakurai has used his latest Pic of the Day posts to highlight that there'll be more colour swaps and designs than before, with eight for each characters — rather than six in predecessors. Below are the details and some examples.

Pic of the day. Until now, you were only able to choose from four, or sometimes five or six colors for each character. This time, though, all characters have eight colors to choose from! The first four color schemes for Samus are based off her Varia Suit, Fusion Suit, Gravity Suit from Super Metroid, and the Dark Suit.

…And here she is in the color schemes of the Gravity Suit from Metroid Prime, Green Samus (a regular in the Smash series), the Light Suit, and Dark Samus. A total of eight colors.

You can choose between four male and four female Villagers to play with. The designs for their faces and clothes are different. And here are the four Villagers we haven't shown you yet.

Do you like the look of these designs, and will you be going all pink, black, purple? Let us know.

[via miiverse.nintendo.net]

Related Games

LtAldoRaine

LtAldoRaine said:

Wow, I don't even care that much that it's simply a color swap instead of a full-blown alt costume when it looks as freaking cool as that Dark Samus color. I think that's the only Samus color I'll ever use.

PvtOttobot

PvtOttobot said:

I'm liking this so far, at least 7/8 of Samus's colour schemes are technically alternate costumes :D

Dawn-Shade

Dawn-Shade said:

I'll go all purple for sure.

Hmm.. Probably Nintendo will releasing costumes DLC in the future.

TheWindWaker

TheWindWaker said:

There is clearly such room for awesome potential, as evidenced with the villager. I hope that we will see full-out alternates more often than just colors. Admittedly, I do agree that if the colors are as dynamic as some of Samus, I will be content to settle.

dinosauryoshi

dinosauryoshi said:

@Grumblevolcano agreed. I've been rocking light blue Yoshi in MK8 so a Smash inclusion for him would be great.

Also, those Samus palettes look amazing. Can't wait to see some for the other characters.

Silent

Silent said:

It seems the team red or blue outline is confirmed for both versions.

s_t_a_y

s_t_a_y said:

Fingers still crossed that we will be able to play as our own animal crossing character.. :S

JimLad

JimLad said:

That's awesome, more personalisation is always good for online games.

ModestFan93

ModestFan93 said:

@Theober555 Brawl at least had Shiny Lucario so let's hope they do it again.

Female Villager looks like Ness and oh my "Dark Samus"looks amazing.

DarkNinja9

DarkNinja9 said:

i think its cool that they having more color versions and some alt suits just kinda hope they dont start releasing tons of dlc and turn it into games from the other consoles >.< im not saying some dlc isnt bad just dont over do it which i fear with the amibo things running around as well...

Prof_Clayton

Prof_Clayton said:

I love looking at these screenshots, I can just imagine how much fun Sakurai's having setting these up!

Psyclone

Psyclone said:

I think it's obvious who my #1 is xD I love the look of the Light Suit and the Dark Samus! I'm still missing Ness though....

AJWolfTill

AJWolfTill said:

@2Sang The girl on the left certainly does in my eyes... : O
I hope there are some unlockable costumes such as Dr Mario, Mewtwo and Wolf as well as some fresh faces.

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

The villager with blue eyelids is my exact one from Wild World! Even has the same hair style!

Also, Dark Samus!

Jellitoe

Jellitoe said:

I like the Animal Crossing Skins, Hopefully they will do the same with Link and have a few flavors based on different games.

TeeJay

TeeJay said:

Aw, even with all those villagers my hairstyle and eyes aren't in any of them...

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

Eight colors and/or costumes for all the characters is really cool. There's going to be lots of possibilities because of this.

NodesforNoids

NodesforNoids said:

So now Samus has what, 2 different characters, 3 costumes and 8 palette swaps? Seems like a waste if a new Metroid weren't around the corner..
I wouldn't be surprised if they combined the first two games into a single experience, similar to The Twin Snakes. In 1080p HD and 5.1 channel Dolby Digital of course.

NodesforNoids

NodesforNoids said:

By the first two games, I mean Metroid Prime.
Though a 3D upmake of Fusion would be pretty sweet too.
Or even just a modern update on Fusion.
Maybe a new 3DS Metroid is in the works?

Shambo

Shambo said:

If someone told me yesterday that there's such a thing as "too much Samus", I'd have laughed. Now, I nearly had a heart attack.

KikReask

KikReask said:

@TheLordAndrew Only when Sakamoto is involved with something do they forget about the Metroid Prime games.

And you know, I think we should have gotten a proper Fusion suit with it being skinnier and such, and I really wanted the Phazon suit from the first Prime that one looked so sick. Ah well, at least we're getting the light suit and dark samus. :) (Why green suit is back I have no idea)

BTW do you think Zero Suit Samus might show up in green hair and pink clothing too?

DiscoGentleman

DiscoGentleman said:

Did anyone else look at that header photo, read that tagline, then start singing "All The Single Ladies"?

I don't even listen to Beyonce, but it was what my brain told me was the right thing to do. Now, I would very much like to see a dancing squad of Samuses in the Zero Suit, doing the dance.

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

It's nice to have the options, but personally I always go for the classic colors. :)

GamerZack87

GamerZack87 said:

@Grumblevolcano @dinosauryoshi I've been wondering the same thing for a while, too. The way I see it, it'll be Green, Pink, Cyan, Yellow, Red and Blue, plus either Purple and Orange or Black and White. The latter two appear in so many Mario spin-off titles; for that reason, as well as a nod to the Yoshi's Island series and Super Mario Sunshine, I think Purple Yoshi and Orange Yoshi deserve a chance to shine...erm, excuse the pun.

Of course, the ultimate outcome would be Yoshi being a special case, receiving 12 colour variations (Green, Pink, Cyan, Yellow, Purple, Orange, Red, Blue, Black, White, Magenta and Brown): Every Yoshi in one game for the very first time! :)

RaphaBoss

RaphaBoss said:

@LtAldoRaine Holy crap, that Dark Samus looks AWESOME!
I got sad she was confirmed as an assist trophy, I wanted her much more than Ridley as a playable character. But I think this recolor will make up for that, as it doesn't look much diferent from Dark Samus.

Interneto

Interneto said:

And yet they choose to reveal a RED Greninja instead of a shiny one as the alternative color. >:

Rect_Pola

Rect_Pola said:

I'd say have Mario in his different suits, but like Mega Man, many are already part of his move set, and it'd be weird coming out of another suit.

Awesoman

Awesoman said:

The recent announcement that Mario Kart 8 will be receiving significant DLC content leaves me hopeful that Smash will get some down the road as well.

sketchturner

sketchturner said:

Dak Suit has always been my favorite. Glad to see it in Smash even if it's only the color scheme.

Sforzando

Sforzando said:

The fact that there are 8 variations gives credence to the idea that the Koopalings will be Bowser Jr 's alts! If this is the case, then he will be the character who visually changes the most based on alts!

siavm

siavm said:

I am happy I can finally play this smash with the light suit. Prime 2 barely let me play with that suit but here I will probably only use that color and maybe dark samus too.

Radbot42

Radbot42 said:

It still amazes me at how crappy Link's SS alt is when comparing it to ZSS alt, Shulk has an alt (yes both are basically nude, but they took more time to make) and Villager's alt's. How hard would it really be to make SSLink a Link alt at this point?

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

Shucks, I was hoping for Samus' Prime design as an alternative. Don't care about the Villager(s), though...

xerneas

xerneas said:

Different haircolors for the villagers would've been cool but eh. Those samuses tho.

Zup

Zup said:

Epic! Nothing but Dark Samus and Dark Suit or me from now on. =D

KikReask

KikReask said:

Wait, does this mean Link or Toon Link will get a color swap similar to the Link from A Link to the Past, I.E PINK HAIR?!

LightSuitGuy

LightSuitGuy said:

I'm disappointed with Samus, since I was hoping there would be actual alt. suits instead of palette swaps. The Light, Dark, and Fusion suits are the only ones of the bunch that aren't palette swaps in the actual games.

Meanwhile Zero suit Samus gets her two-piece outfits from Zero Mission/Fusion's endings, and Little Mac gets a wireframe look and his pink hoodie.

Are only some characters getting costume swaps or what? :

Gameday

Gameday said:

The alternate samus suits look dope. Im tired of the originals so hopefully they are unlockables not something they just hand out.

drumsandperc92

drumsandperc92 said:

awesome! I was hoping for more alternate costumes instead of just color swaps. Link has always been my go-to, hopefully they'll offer variations on his tunic from the different incarnations (OoT green & red tunics, TP farmer costume, green tunic, zora tunic, magic rupee armor, SS sky loft costume & green tunic, and possibly Zelda 2015 tunic as DLC once it's released?)

RantingThespian

RantingThespian said:

Yes, this I love! This is how I am going to be playing Samus in the game! I love the Light, Dark, and Fusion suits!