Shigeru Miyamoto States There Are "A Few" Zelda Titles In Development, Aiming To Evolve The Series

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

"We have ideas for Nintendo 3DS which we have not announced yet"

There's little doubt that, among Nintendo's various big-name franchises, The Legend of Zelda is currently one of the most discussed and prominent at the moment. The Legend of Zelda for Wii U was shown for the first time at E3 this year, while Hyrule Warriors is getting closer to its release — add the brilliant 3DS title The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds following its December 2013 arrival, and the series has been at the forefront in recent times.

Following that recent footage of the new Wii U title, a shareholder at Nintendo's recent AGM Q & A asked when we'll learn more about that game — naturally Shigeru Miyamoto revealed little, though did explain that there are a few projects in development. The confirmed Wii U titles brings us two, and Miyamoto-san did expand to say that ideas are currently in the works for the next 3DS game; overall, the focus is on moving the series forward and evolving its structure and gameplay.

“Hyrule Warriors,” a tie-up with another company’s “Dynasty Warriors” series that we have shown at E3, is more or less an action game in which you cut down enemies, and it received very positive reviews at E3 for enabling players to choose from a variety of characters and for offering exhilarating action.

At the halfway point to achieving this goal, we released “The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds” for Nintendo 3DS last year. We created the games in the traditional “The Legend of Zelda” series in steps that players could easily understand and follow; the player would obtain a new item in each dungeon, use the item to clear that dungeon and be able to enjoy applying the items in different ways after acquiring about eight items. However, in “The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds,” we broke that down and let the player rent different items from the beginning, so the player could use different combinations of items. In this way, we are gradually changing the structure of “The Legend of Zelda” series, and we are preparing to newly evolve the series for Wii U. In addition to that, we have ideas for Nintendo 3DS which we have not announced yet, so I hope you will look forward to them.

Of course, you mention 3DS and Zelda together, considered alongside hints dropped by development teams such as Grezzo, and some minds drift to a 3D remake of The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, though with A Link Between Worlds receiving critical acclaim and strong sales while shaking up dungeon progression, perhaps that style will be revisited for another game.

There's plenty for Zelda fans to be excited about, in any case, so let us know what you think of Miyamoto-san's comments and what you'd like to see in the Wii U game, in addition to the next entry on 3DS.

[via nintendo.co.jp]

Related Games

Alucard83

Alucard83 said:

Good the 3DS lovers. i have other thoughts about 3DS. Why can't we get 2 big games on a home console like in the past? Big screen rules!

Nintendo_Ninja

Nintendo_Ninja said:

Majoras Mask 3D would be nice, but I think it will be a new 3ds Zelda game. Since the DS got 2 of them, the 3ds is bound to get at least one more new one.

Knux

Knux said:

Stop bombarding me with Zelda games, Nintendo! I haven't even played my copy of A Link Between Worlds yet! :O

Nintenjoe64

Nintenjoe64 said:

I hope Nintendo decide to properly remake some Zeldas for the Wii U. I would love to play 3D, motion controlled remakes of Link to the Past, OoT and MM. Obviously I would prefer new ones but there's almost no way Nintendo will give us 2 new Zeldas on the Wii U

Splatom

Splatom said:

IT'S MAJORA'S MASK FOR THE THREE DEES EVERYONE

I really want a cross-platform Four Swords game (maybe five swords? EIGHT SWORDS? WITH ONLINE?)

PLEASE NINTENDO

PLEASE AONUMA

Tsurii897

Tsurii897 said:

@Azooooz nothing...the only thing, that's different in MM is the time limit and that's its biggest flaw imo.
Well..maybe 1 or 2 of the side quests, but that's it. I think Majora's Mask has to be my least favourite Zelda game, tho so maybe someone else should tell you what's so "awesome" about it :D

DilMan33

DilMan33 said:

As for 'Link between Worlds', the rent system would have worked if the prices were higher or it was harder to collect rupees.
In all, I just wished ' Link between World' would have been harder from the start, or at least an option for an 'Hero Mode'

Nintenjoe64

Nintenjoe64 said:

@Nintendo_Ninja
I was trying to use reverse psychology just in case the poor Wii U sales cause Nintendo to hold back on Wii U game development. They've normally given us at least 2 per home console but Wii U so I am hoping that WWHD doesn't count as one of them!

@Azooooz It's not my favourite or no.1 remake choice but these are my guesses as to why people want it:
1. Because it's hip to have played one of the less popular Zeldas
2. It's the opposite of later Zeldas like Skyward Sword (i.e. it has loads of side quests and the world feels alive rather than just being a large map)
3. It's the last time a Zelda game was difficult.

FragRed

FragRed said:

When I read the heading for this article, I was really hoping that there was to be other unannounced Zelda games in the pipeline. Am happy that there is to be another 3DS title and I get that it's a lot easier to create games for than the Wii U, but was still hoping that there was more to come on the home system.

Xiao_Pai

Xiao_Pai said:

Maybe the 3DS is getting a remake and a new game at the same time?....Nah, never mind... :p

Hernandez

Hernandez said:

A Link Between Worlds was amazing!
I'd rather have a Minish Cap remake — or something similar — than Majora's Mask though, but yeah, it's probably going to be MM...

Jazzer94

Jazzer94 said:

As much as I love Zelda and am hyped for Zelda Wii U I do hope NIntendo work on developing more original titles and reviving older series then just milking Zelda.

outburst

outburst said:

2D side scrolling Zelda for 3DS please. :D or maybe isometric view Zelda for a change. Haha!

outburst

outburst said:

@sinalefa
I agree. Most players I speak with say "Mario is for kids. Zelda is for hardcore gamers". I guess Nintendo is trying to woo hard core gamers. I mean, look at LoZ reveal reactions from gamers compared to Mario reveals. :D

Vermithrax

Vermithrax said:

@Azooooz it's been a fan favourite for a long time and didn't get the proper remake treatment yet that Ocarina of Time got. It's more or less that people expect it now. So, your question, what's so great? To me it was that it was very puzzle/mini quest heavy. The three day function works really well with creating lots of content in small areas. I absolute loved that. It's a very strange Zelda story though, so that alone turns some people off. I haven't played it since N64 so I'm hoping for a remake too. My first thoughts on the game then were that gameplay wise it's better than Ocarina, but the world and story were not as compelling. All in all, a great game in its own right.

Yorumi

Yorumi said:

Zelda the new mario? Don't get me wrong I like what they're doing so far but there are a lot of very under utilized franchises out there too.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@outburst I know people who only play Zelda (And stuff like Templerun and Candy Crush Saga). Which is what I thought the definition of casual was.

vamkar

vamkar said:

As excited as I am for Zelda Wii U, I am equally (if not more) excited about a new Zelda for 3DS. I know ALBW just came out and I loved it but it only left me craving more Zelda on the go. I honestly cannot wait for the Zelda games Miyamoto is teasing!!

OH! and I dont want a MM remake... I want a sequel!!!!

Shambo

Shambo said:

One cannot have too much Zelda, as long as it upholds the quality expected drom the IP. My Zelda collection is nearly complete (all the games CIB mint, many limited editions, all the special consoles, still looking for some statues and merchandise), so keep it going! Oh, and give the rest of the world the Hyrule Warriors chest with clock too, please.

Nintendo_Ninja

Nintendo_Ninja said:

Side scrolling is for Kirby and DK (And sometimes Mario). But not Zelda. Zelda is about exploration, puzzles, and combat. Not side scrolling!

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

Surely Majora's Mask 3D is among these Zelda games, and for those who always whine about remakes, there would still be another new Zelda game to placate them. I think this is good news, but I hope they don't milk Zelda. Great series, don't get me wrong, but I kind of want other game series to get the spotlight as well.

biglittlejake

biglittlejake said:

Didn't Nintendo say that about Pokemon Y and X too? I am pretty sure they said they were evolving the game. Well I sold my Y because they ruined Pokemon by making it to easy I was LV 70 when I attempted to beat the E4. I beat it in 30 hours where as a normal Pokemon game lasts 40. I don't train I did though catch a few boxes of Pokemon. If Nintendo goes and ruins Zelda like they did Pokemon I am selling my Wii U and 2DS.

Yorumi

Yorumi said:

@Nintendo_Ninja there was quite a lot of exploration, puzzles, and combat in zelda 2. You sure you've played that game?

@biglittlejake considering how unimaginably terrible the AI is in all pokemon the only thing they ever did to make the story mode of pokemon "difficult" was by sheer utter force of level differences. You can recreate that easily in x and y by just catching some level 40 pokemon and battling the e4. Also most of the reason for people being so underleveled in other pokemon games was a result of skipping a lot of side content.

If you go to places like the battle maison, or go competitive online then it gets hard. Pokemon game have always been story equals easy mode, post game equals hard mode.

SanderEvers

SanderEvers said:

However, the E4 in X & Y is quite easy... Though the game IS my favorite in the entire series.

jpfan1989

jpfan1989 said:

Majoras mask 3D/U/HD is becoming the new half-life3, everyone wants it and hopes for confirmation but its never going to happen.

burninmylight

burninmylight said:

Please don't turn Zelda into a production line series like Call of Duty, Madden and Assassin's Creed.

Windy

Windy said:

First 3ds idea......Hyrule Warriors! :) Then whatever else you have planned :)

Nintenjoe64

Nintenjoe64 said:

@Hero-of-WiiU True, I actually think I may have even been stuck at one point in Skyward Sword but it's been years since a Zelda was difficult because of a particular battle or action section. The first couple were brutal!

biglittlejake

biglittlejake said:

@Yorumi Yea but I don't like Wifi battling. My first game was Red when I 6, 16 years ago. I was thinking of getting a PS TV in November. I guess since I am 22 Video games just don't play as big of a role anymore.

pigwarts5ever

pigwarts5ever said:

I would personally pee my pants if they ever did a Minish Cap remake.

Also a thing about ALBW. I hated the renting system it wasn't as fun getting the items. I also don't want them to put the items in dungeons either because then it gets too boring. What I want them to do is just sprinkle the items in the overworld. Then you could discover them for yourself but you wouldn't be just buying them. You also wouldn't know which items needed to be used in which dungeons.

Zizzy

Zizzy said:

A new 2D sidescroller would be sweet. Stoked to hear all this LoZ news! Makes eventually getting a Wii U even more exciting!!!

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

I wouldn't mind another new Zelda game for 3DS with the same graphics as ALBW. Could make it arrive quicker which would be nice.

BigH88

BigH88 said:

Yes, I would love if they gave us a Zelda every year. A remake one and a new one the next.

Kosmo

Kosmo said:

Does anybody remember the the two 3DS Zelda logos that were copyrighted some two years ago now? Are they talking about this?

ICHIkatakuri

ICHIkatakuri said:

@Nintenjoe64 Totally! I loved how the first two games dumped you in a world and gave you not much other than a sword, the onus was totally on you to make the adventure. Zelda is still a top quality series but that feeling of crafting your own story and surviving a brutal world within a certain set of basic rules doesn't exist outside of the souls series, which is probably it's so popular. I think I got stuck on something stupid playing skyward sword because I refused to hear fi anymore and I died once on the last boss fight.

minotaurgamer

minotaurgamer said:

@Azooooz Gamers-specially on the internet-crave for games that are failures and despise the ones that are succesful. Yes sweeties Majora's mask was a failure. Deal with it.

ReigningSemtex

ReigningSemtex said:

@Nintenjoe64 I'm up for any zelda game remake or new they are awesome games but motion controls unless you're able to turn them off would honestly put a lot of people off myself included it's what has stopped me finishing skyward sword I can't stand waving my arms around I just want to sit back with a controller.

A link to the past remake using the link between worlds engine would be amazing

TeeJay

TeeJay said:

Oooooooh maybe we'll finally get an original Zelda title! And by that I mean not a remake or sequel. But if we finally get Majora's Mask 3D I would love that too!

FX29

FX29 said:

@Tsurii897
The time limit is the reason why it's my least favorite Zelda game, in all honesty I rather see new Zelda games than a remake of Majora's Mask.

ikki5

ikki5 said:

So no MM remake then. Good, glad to hear it. I want something new and awesome. Not old.

Nintenjoe64

Nintenjoe64 said:

@ReigningSemtex I'd like them to go a step further and make it look like the 2011 tech demo with optional Skyward Sword controls. SS would have been a much better game if the only tutorial was your uncle giving you a sword and telling you to save Zelda..

ReigningSemtex

ReigningSemtex said:

@Nintenjoe64 optional SS controls and 2011 tech demo now your talking. Not just zelda but most Nintendo games hold the players hand way too much full of tutorials and silly amount of hints and lives I guess they fear people will be put off by a bit of challenge costing them sales.

WindWakerLink

WindWakerLink said:

In the article Miyamoto says the following:

"In addition, we have already announced that we are now developing the next title for the orthodox “The Legend of Zelda” series for Wii U, and that it will be an “open world,” as announced at E3. I prefer not to use the generally used term “open world” when developing software, but we used this term in order to make it easier for consumers to understand. This term means that there is a large world in which players can do numerous things daily. In the traditional “The Legend of Zelda” series, the player would play one dungeon at a time. For example, if there are eight dungeons, at the fourth dungeon, some players may think, “I’m already halfway through the game,” while other players may think, “I still have half of the game to play.” We are trying to gradually break down such mechanism and develop a game style in which you can enjoy “The Legend of Zelda” freely in a vast world, whenever you find the time to do so."

For me that translates that "This new Zelda game for the Wii U is basically an Animal Crossing version of Zelda & I'm cool with that. You can just play at your own pace; take in the sights/scenery; visit the different towns as if you are on vacation and help people along your journey." I dig this!

Darknyht

Darknyht said:

Zelda got stuck in the progression pattern started in A Link to a Past for a long time (3 item quests (that became let's meet the Kokiri, Goron and Zora tribes), master sword, 6-8 dungeons, end boss).

Games like Adventure of Link and Majora's Mask messed with that progression. Majora's Mask shortened it to four main quests and multiple side quests that each had to be completed in a limited amount of time, but also left you largely on your own to figure out different things. The Adventure of Link completely turned the formula on it's head by being a side-scrolling game where you had to put things back into dungeons.

WreckItRyan

WreckItRyan said:

I was talking with Christina Grimmie yesterday about the possibility of a 3D Majora's Mask remake, so I really hope it happens!!!

The_Ninja

The_Ninja said:

Guys, I love Majora's Mask as the next guy, even more then OOT, but I don't want it remade. It surely will be remade. But am I the only one who wants a proper OOT sequel? MM may be a sequel but IMO it's only related because they're both Zelda games.
Anyways, I think that these games will use the touch feature really well, but I hope not. What I would love though, is a Zelda game that you could complete single player, but you can also go Four Swords style and complete game with 1-4 players. (With online) but if you go with friends the game would be harder, since your with more. With voice chat, it would be so fun. So, basically what I want is another Four Swords. I don't know if I want it in 3D, or top-down though....

Oh, and a new zelda game for 3DS? WOOOHOO!!

PS: I LOVE ZELDA IT'S MY FAV FRANCHISE EVERR!!!

torotoid64

torotoid64 said:

@drewb0203 it's kinda off putting especially to someone who enjoys Zelda for the exploration and 'take your time and enjoy the game' vibe, the time feature sets a certain vibe that you have to complete the game fast which could be a turn off to gamers

Findonovan95

Findonovan95 said:

What the poopsiedoodle is everyone talking about "zelda is becoming cod/mario"? No it's not, lol How do you even get to these really over-dramatic conclusions?

Never the less; I look forward to a new game in the series for the 3DS, and the Wii U zelda reveal brought tears to my eyes, lol Looks amazing. Hyrule Warriors being a spin-off I didn't think much of it but the more I see of it, the more I begin to like the look of it.

That's two main games, one for each console and a spin-off. They're coming out sometime within the next year/few years; I honestly don't think that's a lot. They also seem to be putting more thought and effort into these games than ever before with the numerous statements about how they want to revolutionize the series, etc. My body is ready.

Nintendofan83

Nintendofan83 said:

I have a feeling the announced Zelda Wii U game will be the only new, traditional style Zelda console game. WWHD is a remake and DW is a crossover game. They are both solid looking games but their arrival on the system makes me feel like Nintendo is going slow with Zelda Wii U and it's gonna be a late 2015, maybe early 2016 release and it will be the only new Zelda. Fans love Zelda but there are a lot of games out competing against each other now. There are 2 3DS games already and soon to be 2 Wii U games. A third 3DS title would give this current generation of consoles/handhelds 5 Zelda games prior to the main release of Zelda Wii U. Seems like a lot to me.

Dpishere

Dpishere said:

A Zelda game in which I can spend as much time in the world as I want to sounds like my dream game!

2Sang

2Sang said:

Doesn't sound like majora's mask. I'm sad now, even though it's probably smarter not to rehash. I just really love the game that I'd rather have a rehash than a new game.

GN004Nadleeh

GN004Nadleeh said:

a 3d remake/retelling of link's awakening would make me happy also they can make a quick buck if they use link between worlds and remake a link to the past

WinterWarm

WinterWarm said:

@torotoid64 Your comment sounds like someone having a stroke, II don't even know if you were speaking those words as you typed them.

I hope they try a 2D Zelda again..

JellySplat

JellySplat said:

I hope that the whole "Item renting" system will be eliminated. It made the game feel... I don't know, Unbalanced? I felt like I had to buy all the items at one time. And after I bought all of the items, I felt like i was done with the game.

I think the feeling of "Oh boy a treasure chest! I hope my new item is inside, and not some lame compass" was kinda destroyed in ALBW. Personally, finding a new item in a chest was one of the most exciting parts of any Zelda game.

allav866

allav866 said:

Ugh... Nintendo, why must you jerk my heart around? Just say you're working on Majora's Mask 3D already!

ThreadShadow

ThreadShadow said:

"a few Zelda titles in development" that sounds wonderful to me! I'd love to see Nintendo take this Hyrule Warriors thing further and develop a Hyrule sub series of LoZ games in co-operation with other third-parties. I'd like to see other third-parties get a chance- under the close supervision of Nintendo- to create 3D and 2D Zelda games.

Did anyone else catch this sentence from Miyamoto? "This term means that there is a large world in which players can do numerous things daily.". Numerous things daily? That sounds interesting. Daily challenges like in a Halo game, maybe?

torotoid64

torotoid64 said:

@WinterWarm not sure which one you was talking about, so I edited both :3 but the heart attack thing was the whole point of the first comment haha

Nomad

Nomad said:

Sounds like their on the right track for the series. Cant wait to see how these new ideas turn out. Great to hear their might be more Zelda for 3DS.

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

@ThreadShadow
The first thing that came to mind when I read that was a real-time clock and events, or at least an in-game day/night cycle with a more dynamic world.

I certainly hope we see caravans traveling through Hyrule field, less predictable enemy encounters, and that sort of thing.

TheWPCTraveler

TheWPCTraveler said:

Let it be something other than a Majora's Mask 3D.

I'm generally against straight-up ports or remakes of games. That and they better give me time to finish my backlog.

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

there is a large world in which players can do numerous things daily

Can't wait for Hyrule Crossing: Skyward World.

Genesaur

Genesaur said:

I really don't want Zelda to be oversaturated, though I guess it's a bit late for that. At least the games typically have different art styles among the varied releases, unlike our main man, Mario.

I still want to see an elderly, noble knight Link.

LDXD

LDXD said:

@Nintendo_Ninja so you can't have exploration in a side scrolling game?? I take it you haven't played metroid? Especially super metroid

Anyways I'd like to see another adventures of link style game that game was so underrated, sure it had its issues but it offered some great music and the best challenge of any Zelda game

Henmii

Henmii said:

"This term means that there is a large world in which players can do numerous things daily"

That last word made me curious: Daily! It sounds as if they are planning a quest-system (like some people suggested), maybe with downloadable quests! Everyday new quests. I don't know what to think of this, I just have to wait and see.

I also wonder about the 3DS Zelda: What will it be, and when will we see it? Maybe we get a topdown Majora's mask sequel? I could see that happening!