Weirdness: Conan O'Brien Plays Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Posted by Jake Shapiro

"So everyone at Nintendo is on acid?"

Late-night funnyman Conan O'Brien is not a gamer – a fact he'll tell you every chance he gets. As a result, the recent "Clueless Gamer" series on his show has become perhaps his most popular segment, as he plays through all sorts of big-name titles like Resident Evil 6 and Watch_Dogs with no regard for superfluous factors like "objectivity" or "fair and balanced games journalism."

This week, Conan got his hands on the pre-release version of Super Smash Bros. for Wii U; as a self-described non-gamer, you can probably predict how his experience with a game entirely about characters from a bunch of other games goes. Whether you're a Conan fan, a Smash Bros. fan, or neither, you should check out this awkward comedy gold (warning for brief language):

We will never be able to un-see the Villager's "spoon hands" now. What do you think?

[via youtube.com]

bezerker99

bezerker99 said:

@FalconPunch - the language gets edited out when it gets aired on television here in North America. This is unedited, probably, because it's here on the net.

MrWalkieTalkie

MrWalkieTalkie said:

"Kirby is a blob. Kirby is just something left behind at a construction site" - I don't even know what that means yet i broke out in laughter!

bezerker99

bezerker99 said:

and OMG, how long as Conan being doing these segments? I'd like to go back and watch them all. I haven't watched his show in a long time because I watch Jimmy Kimmel for my late night fix.

It might be time to get back on the Team Coco bandwagon here....

ChessboardMan

ChessboardMan said:

This is very good marketing from Nintendo. While most gamers are like his friend, it doesn't hurt to draw in a few more less avid gamers…

whodatninja

whodatninja said:

Now THIS is how you do advertisement, Nintendo! Through Clueless Gamer :D
(LOVE YOU CONAN!!!)

BertoFlyingFox

BertoFlyingFox said:

Hah! That's one of the best clueless gamer segments so far. I wish he gave it a completely nonsensical score like all the others.

kyuubikid213

kyuubikid213 said:

Second President...? Uh... C'mon, I know this one... Is it...um...Andrew Jackson...?

NOPE. WRONG. It's John Adams.

For future reference, Lincoln was 16 and Jackson was 7.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

Nice exposure Nintendo! They need much more of this type of exposure from here on out. Get people talking about them every week instead of a few times a year.

It was a very funny segment for sure. I shouldn't of been eat breakfast while watching!

bezerker99

bezerker99 said:

It was pretty funny to hear Clueless Gamer's reaction upon first seeing the Villager. "Puppet in a horror movie who comes to life and kills people"??? Haha, that's spot on!!!

kyuubikid213

kyuubikid213 said:

QUESTION: Will Smash Bros. get a real title soon? Or will it be forever known as Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS?

I would like Super Smash Bros. Showdown or Super Smash Bros. Clash

TheWeird

TheWeird said:

Pretty funny, but I'm a Nintendo fan and a long time gamer, and I don't get Smash Bros either. I have played the GC and Wii versions and just never 'got it'. Just button mashing and 'nothing seems to matter' for me too. While I'm really excited about most of the new titles announced this week, this just does nothing for me.

bezerker99

bezerker99 said:

@TheWeird - Conan hinted at exactly what you said. And I agree with you. I've got Melee and Brawl and I don't exactly "get" the fascination either.

With that being said, my Smash Bros for Wii U pre-order is almost halfway paid up! :)

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

Hey, this was funny. And it actually made me google the US presidents. So I know who the second president was.

rjejr

rjejr said:

Too funny. They should edit the language - if need be - and put it on eShop pronto. Seriously, if they can have a WALMART ad on eShop they can have Conan. And how come nobody at NL commented on a Walmat ad on the eShop (OK, maybe htye have something better to do this week) Its for a $40 Walmart GC w/ a 2DS purchase if anybody is interested.

Oh man my cheeks are still wet from the tears. So funny.

Taceus

Taceus said:

Hahaha, "birthday suit Samus", Conan you clown. That segment had me in stitches.

Gioku

Gioku said:

...will be watching this soon; reading the comments it sounds too funny! xD

TheWindWaker

TheWindWaker said:

So funny! Plus... it looks like maybe we DO have a cover now! Look at the top of the article at the game profile!

rjejr

rjejr said:

@bezerker99 @TheWeird - My first exposure to SSB was SSBM on Gamecube. I bought it, played it for an hour, then told my wife I was bringing it back the next day b/c round after round of 3 minute fights meant nothing to me. Next day I gav eit another shot and realized w/ all the customization in the game I could actually make it enjoyable enough that even my wife wanted to play so I kept it. Years later w/ a coupe of kids and Brawl comes out w/ Subspace Emmissary, a full fledged side-scrolling platformer. My kids, wife and I put well over 500 hours into that game, a lot of it playing that co-op platforming game.

So I completely understand why anybody would not want to play a SSB game, but if you have kids, or like 2-player co-op side scrolling fighting platforming games, SSBB has a lot to offer.

ultraraichu

ultraraichu said:

Watched it last night. Funny as always. I can't blame Bleyaert, I would do the same thing in his shoes.
It would be cool if Conan do a E3 segment like he did last year since he normally rolls with the younger generation.

audiobrainiac

audiobrainiac said:

Conan's my fav late night show host. I'm glad he got to experience the game, even if he doesn't play lol. Don't think he realized how lucky he was.

Mqblank

Mqblank said:

That was awesome. I wish UK had a talkshow host who did segments like this. Our best talkshow host, Jonathan Ross, actually loves videogames. Nintendo should give him a call...

ToniK

ToniK said:

I've watched these segments a lot and always laughing my butt off :D The combination of his witty humour and total lack of gaming skills is a combo to die for.

Kid_A

Kid_A said:

This is why Conan is still the best late-night host. I don't think there's a more quick-witted guy out there.
"Do you know what Skyloft is? You're fired."

Porky

Porky said:

I can't stand people like that. Spending more time questioning the game than playing it. Making fun of it. So not funny it was hard to watch.

Gioku

Gioku said:

@TheWindWaker @Mus1cLov3r oh yes, definitely...! I too cannot wait! ...especially now that my main man, Pac-Man, has been confirmed, can we release the game now please? I don't wanna wait anymore! xD

Action51

Action51 said:

Great jokes!

"Is there a birthday suit Samus?"

His rant about elves...too funny!

Marth is like Jared Leto!

Well done Conan...had me laughing.

andrea987

andrea987 said:

"We're gonna have a street fight - Quick, grab a flower!" Good laughs, shame on him for his elves-hatin', lol

Luna-Harmony

Luna-Harmony said:

What an idot mabe if he didn't have so much plastic surgery he would be able to see the amazing game at the end of the his nose. He's about as funny as gloss paint drying.
Talk about moch gamer's.
Yea we are geeks but at least we are not owned by barbie's plastic factory of bad comics.
Here's a joke for him seem's a so he likes to be so nasty about people and games and gets away with it and people just find it funny........ why is he playing in a semi-lit back room ? because the heat from the studio lights would make him melt like the wicked witch from Oz.

RogueBologna

RogueBologna said:

One time my friends and I watched four hours of Conan youtube clips in a row. Clueless Gamer segments are great.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

@Gioku

If the pic you gave is the 3DS box art and the pic NL put at the top of this article is the Wii U one, I have to say that I love both.

Squid

Squid said:

Oh come on, please don't tell me I was the only one yelling, "It's John Adams! John Adams!" when he asked them that. :D

electrolite77

electrolite77 said:

Never seen these segments before (being in the UK) but that was very funny. I'll have to find some more of these.

Porky

Porky said:

@RogueBologna No.

How do you gamers laugh when this dude wearing a hairpiece makes fun of characters from your beloved franchises such as Link? You must not be one then. This guy sounds like my father when he sees me playing any game and nitpicks stuff.

Gioku

Gioku said:

...finally watched the video actually! ...his reactions sounded exactly like me with Project X Zone. "WHAT IS THIS THING? WHAT'S GOING ON NOW? WHO'S THIS PERSON?" xD That was me exactly playing Project X Zone. xD

player310

player310 said:

I've been watching Conan since I was like 16 when he was on Late Night and he always has this ability to make me crack up, just like he did with this segment... His Grand Theft Auto V review was hilarious too... oh and I'm in my 30's now...

electrolite77

electrolite77 said:

@Porky

To be fair, you're pretty funny too. If you don't get overly-protective of someone saying so wing nasty about a video-game character you're not a gamer?

My sides! Good stuff.

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

I'm gonna get both games no matter what. Seeing that Pac-Man is joining Mario, Sonic, Donkey Kong, and Mega Man in the game, I just can't miss it.

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

That joke about Link was actually scary accurate coming from Conan, considering Ocarina of Time's opening.

As for people getting bent out of shape over this, its Conan, this is what he does. Nintendo gave him the demo knowing that. Think about that a moment, Nintendo doesn't care, so why do you?

Gma-X

Gma-X said:

That was really funny, it's the first time I've seen Conan and I must say, he's funny haha!

@Porky We love Nintendo as well, we're just also up for some laughs. Sometimes you have to realize that there is more than games and lighten up a bit. He's insulting pixels on a screen for crying out loud XD