Tomodachi Collection: New Life Currently Being Localised for the West

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Aiming to re-create sales magic outside of Japan

While Animal Crossing: New Leaf was the continuation of that franchises' strong run both in Japan and worldwide territories, Tomodachi Collection was a Japan-only release on DS. Its sequel, Tomodachi Collection: New Life has been a sales success for the 3DS in Japan, and it looks as if the series is finally coming to the West.

While Animal Crossing is a 'sim' in the sense it follows real time and has its own economy and town building, the Tomodachi series is better known as a life-sim that uses Mii characters; the player can form relationships with other Miis and buy and sell food, clothes and various items. The similarities with Animal Crossing are clear, but that hasn't stopped this title from earning sales success in Nintendo's homeland, albeit not to the same scale as its bell-hoarding alternative.

If Animal Crossing is a good example of a series being skilfully localised to appeal to Western audiences, then Nintendo is aiming to achieve the same result with New Life. Satoru Iwata told the Wall Street Journal prior to the past week's Investor Briefing that Nintendo is currently determining which aspects of the Tomodachi title to keep and alter for its arrival outside of Japan. The Nintendo President reportedly said "it’s all about balance" in retaining the title's unique identity and style while appealing to a wide audience.

An extended Japanese trailer for Tomodachi Collection: New Life is below — would you be interested in this?

Thanks to Itsy for the tip.

[via blogs.wsj.com, uk.ign.com]

CaveDweller

CaveDweller said:

@Frank90 Oh, you've played it?

I'm glad this is happening; I'd heard of the game last year and was disappointed to discover that, at the time, there was no word on a localisation. If it reaches the EU shores, I will buy.

CaveDweller

CaveDweller said:

@Frank90 I don't see why this is being compared to Animal Crossing as much as it has been other than both being "life-sim"-esque games. They just share genres; it's not like Tomodachi Collection is trying to be another Animal Crossing. That's like comparing AC to The Sims.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

This game caught my eye last year and it seems interesting and deep; so I'll keep an eye on it for now.

arnoldrobinsonj

arnoldrobinsonj said:

Why do people hate all the time on Nintendo if you like Nintendo you should be happy It takes time. But if you don't like Nintendo why r you on this site? Since I have been coming to this site it's been a lot of Nintendo hater here. Why is that if y'all have a ps4/xb1. mess up on the first 1

hiddenstampede

hiddenstampede said:

TEARS OF JOY I played DS version. Can't imagine them, talking in English.

Wow people, you have no idea how great this series is! I don't know where to start! You can make your mii do some crazy things, like..like, make them do "Power Rangers" stunt. That hilarious news station, giant monster scene, so many content to list! 8D

element187

element187 said:

Everyone went nuts in the west over Animal Crossing. I rented it to see what the hype was about and after spending a dozen of hours with it I just couldn't get into it. I guess not every game is for everyone.... I'll probably rent this as a trial as well before deciding on purchasing.

Pichubby

Pichubby said:

It looks pretty good, as long as it doesn't require you to play every day... auctually got streesed out from anumal crossing that way.

readyletsgo

readyletsgo said:

Interesting, but not for me. Start of that video is funny lol.

It looks like a game that should be built into the system when you buy it, since it is all with your Mii and other people's Mii's.

Inkling

Inkling said:

Also, If i'm honest, this looks a lot better than AC. The only reason I go back on is to play with my friend who is never online; also to check for weeds! ;)

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

@CaveDweller

I agree with you, it looks pretty different from AC to me.

And technically this is a new Nintendo IP, since it would be the first time it is localized. And since new Nintendo IPs are always asked for but never purchased, then I don't think this will do great.

Mowzle

Mowzle said:

I don't think this really would be my scene at all. My fantasy lives need to be truly out of this world. I really don't want even an approximation of urban reality. I'll stick with Animal Crossing for the moment.
Each to his/her own preferences.
Is there any news on whether Fantasy Life is ever coming to Europe?
I am willing to wait - just want to know if it's worthwhile hoping.

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

I'm kinda conflicted... I'd probably buy it if parenting stuff was optional, but that's just me. What does bother me is how this seems interactive, but tasks and events seem uncontrollably random...

Tops

Tops said:

I ended up passing on New Leaf so I'll pass on this, too. I am curious to read a review on it, though, and also see what aspects they end up altering.

AntiGuy

AntiGuy said:

Laughed pretty hard at some points of the video, I'm definitely interested.

rjejr

rjejr said:

Not the least bit interested in this or anything like it but since the AC games sell well, and "The Sims" games are up to #3 I don't see why this wouldn't do well.

Not to offend anyone, but it has "girl game" written all over it. And it has to be better than Lego Friends judging by that review. I don't speak Japanese so the first 4 minutes of that video was putting me to sleep but the last 30 seconds looked really interesting w/ having a baby and some old guy hula dancing and the giant heads. I'm not sure what else Nintendo has lined up for the 3DS this year but advertised right I could see this doing well around the holidays. The game is already made, all they have to do it translate it, they'll make money.

Zach

Zach said:

I remember when they thought Pokemon was too Japanese... Glad to see more somewhat untraditional stuff make the jump. Love+ next?

jrpacman

jrpacman said:

I'm excited to finally play this, but if it comes to the west, I really hope they add support for same-sex relationships (having removed them and calling it a bug in Japan). It would be a glaring omission if not.

Technosphile

Technosphile said:

I thought this might happen. The game has sold a million and a half copies in Japan, there is very little risk here in a western release.

Cloud-San-VII

Cloud-San-VII said:

@jrpacman
It was removed because it was a game-breaking glitch.

But I'm happy to hear this is coming over (now what about Fantasy Life, Time Travelers, and Youkai Watch, Level 5?!?!?!?!)

Arcamenel

Arcamenel said:

If they alter it to be more inclusive when it comes to the romance aspect than I'll definitely consider getting it. Anyway more localization of games is always welcome and I hope it continues. (Looking at you Fantasy Life!)

AdanVC

AdanVC said:

This can be another smash-success like Animal Crossing was. Western people really like life-simulators like The Sims, or in this case Animal Crossing and considering the big install base that the 3DS already has, it could succeed easily. Looking forward to know more about this (and possibly an estimate of when it can be released)

Barbiegurl777

Barbiegurl777 said:

''would you be interested in this?''

YES!!!!! :D

Been waiting a while for this to come to the west! :D :D :D

Happy Gaming! (^_^)

Remisio

Remisio said:

@Cloud-San-VII don't worry... Level Five just takes extremely long to localize their games, ranging from: just a bit faster than capcom localizing a MH game to a bit slower to E.X. Troopers speed... As in probably so long that you forget about it or never localized.

Squid

Squid said:

I doubt this would sell well here in the States, but I think it looks like a fun game, just for laughs at least. Sim games can be pretty fun even if you don't take it seriously.

TheAdza

TheAdza said:

I need this, Youkai Watch and Fantasy Life this year. Make it happen Nintendo!!

Austroid

Austroid said:

AC never interested me in the slightest, but I honestly could go for this!

There's something about just playing as your Mii (wearing a Mii mask in New Leaf isn't the same) that makes it more charming IMO.

Darkness3131

Darkness3131 said:

This seems to differ enough from animal crossing enough to catch my eye. I've been watching for a while; glad to see that these kinds of things are making it to the west. I am loving all the stuff they typically consider "too Japanese".

Heiki

Heiki said:

So this is what happens when you put The Sims and Animal Crossing together?
I'm not sure if I would interest me, but seeing more games being localized is always a good thing. I hope it sells well.

brandonbwii

brandonbwii said:

I guess this isn't good enough for as a new franchise in the west because it's for teh casuals. Hell I'm just happy for something new and relatively different from the big N.

Angered_Pegasus

Angered_Pegasus said:

Finally some good news.

I just hope they will not ruin the game in the localization process by removing all the Japanese particularities of the game. It is what makes this game so charming.

paniccoffee

paniccoffee said:

Seems like good news, but I hope they don't typecast cultures yet again like changing sushi to fries because that's what's common in the locality. We just need a translation, don't change anything else!

IKAY

IKAY said:

Looks interesting. Not sure if I'm going to buy this. I also wonder what they do with the name, when it gets a localization. Change to "Friend Collection" or do they left the name unchanged?

jacksayspurple

jacksayspurple said:

Looks good but I won't be investing unless they make same-sex marriage a feature rather than a glitch...

Raptor78

Raptor78 said:

I played the original Tomodachi Collection on the DS and although I didnt understand what was going on it seemed fun and piqued my interest... to hear it is being localised on the 3DS is great news to me. Ive enjoyed the new miiplaza games, suprisingly the Gardening one was me most favourite and I could see myself getting into thisin short bursts. However I hope it doesnt guilt you into having to play everyday like Animal Crossing does,if I miss a couple of days on that it puts me off playing it because of how they respondand chances of villages moving on etc. Eventually it becomes a chore to pop in and check on everyone each day.