Nintendo Download: 5th September (North America)

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Dungeons & dragons, twisted dreams, rare retro shooting and much more

It's Nintendo Download update day, North America, and there are some real goodies on offer this week. We have long awaited Wii U eShop games, a rare NES shoot 'em up on the 3DS Virtual Console and various other treats. Without further ado, here are the details.

Wii U eShop

Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams (Black Forest Games, $14.99) — With its original roots in crowdfunding, this action platformer has impressed gamers on PC, Xbox 360 and PS3, as well as some European Wii U owners. With beautiful visuals, plenty of challenge and a clever switch mechanic that necessitates manipulating the environment, this is certainly well worth anyone's consideration. Only let down by a GamePad off-tv sound bug — due to be fixed in an update — and the lack of easier difficulties to accommodate more players, we gave this a strong recommendation in our Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams review.

Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara (Capcom, $14.99) — After a fairly lengthy delay due to issues with the submission process, this reworked release of two arcade classics finally comes to the Wii U. This should provide some classic beat 'em up action, with drop-in and drop-out online co-op, the ability to shake up the experience with House Rules, challenges, unlockables, online leaderboards and use of the GamePad's touch screen. We can only hope that the delays have been used to optimise the experience for the best results; we'll see soon in our review.

Spot the Differences: Party! (Sanuk Games, $5.00) — Continuing the trend of WiiWare games coming to the Wii U eShop in enhanced form, we have a new entry in this series that'll have you poring over near identical images for fun. This will apparently have 360 pictures and 3,600 differences to find, and considering the fact our main complaint with the original was the fuzzy image quality on display, this may strike a positive blow for the genre. We'll dig out our magnifying glass and hurt our eyes by staring too closely at the TV for a review.

Wii U Virtual Console

Breath of Fire II (Capcom, $7.99) — Nintendo's classic 16-bit console is revered for many things, but one of its strengths was surely the abundance of RPG adventures that it brought gamers keen for an adventure. This may be a sequel on the Super NES, but it offers up just that kind of experience while being undoubtedly old-school — and harsh — in its approach. We'll take this on for a fresh review, but until then you can check out our original Wii Virtual Console Breath of Fire II review.

3DS eShop

Boulder Dash-XL 3D (Reef Entertainment, $4.99) — Originally a retail title in Europe, its recent budget download re-release in the region has offered excellent value, which has now pleasingly arrived in North America. With lots of clever action puzzles and challenges as well as retro stages for fans of the original Boulder Dash, this has plenty to offer; check out our Boulder Dash-XL 3D retail review for the full lowdown.

Darts Up 3D (EnjoyUp Games, $2.99) — Looking to hit its doubles when under pressure, this is the first darts title to come to the 3DS eShop, so at least it's not a crowded market. With Mii Support, the option for friends to temporarily access the whole game via Download Play and some motion sensing thrown in for accurate aiming, this could be a fun recreation of the pub pastime. We'll put on a bright shirt and a lot of weight and let you know where this is a bullseye.

3DS Virtual Console

Summer Carnival '92 RECCA (Kaga Electronics, $4.99) — A bit of a rare treat for shoot 'em up fans, this shooter was developed by Naxat Soft for their Summer Carnival tournament in 1992 and was only released in Japan. Designed to push the NES to its limits, it's now available in the West for the first time and represents a serious but enjoyable challenge for fans of the genre. If you want to know more check out our Summer Carnival '92 RECCA review.

3DS Retail Download

Sonic Generations (SEGA, $29.99)

DSiWare

Jewel Adventures (Enjoy Gaming, 500 Nintendo Points) — This one will be aiming to distinguish itself among a number of match-3 games on DSiWare and the 3DS eShop. With 250 levels promised and a fantastical background story of fighting the forces of darkness it may do just that, but we'll see in our upcoming review.

Quite a few solid options are vying for your funds this week. Let us know what you plan to download in the poll and comments below.

What will you be downloading first this week? (310 votes)

Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams (Wii U eShop)

Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara (Wii U eShop)

22%

Spot the Differences: Party!

Breath of Fire II (Wii U Virtual Console)

Boulder Dash-XL 3D (3DS eShop)

Darts Up 3D (3DS eShop)

Summer Carnival '92 RECCA (3DS Virtual Console)

12%

Sonic Generations (3DS retail download)

Jewel Adventures (DSiWare)

Nothing for me this week

42%

Please login to vote in this poll.

bezerker99

bezerker99 said:

Awesome week! I'll take BoFII for $1.50 and get Giana Sisters and Chronicles when I get some more cash on me.

DarrelltheJ

DarrelltheJ said:

I'm still trying to find time to play Earthbound, so no Breath of Fire II for me. But, consider Recca already bought. I love a good shmup.

2Sang

2Sang said:

Nothing good, maybe I'll try summer carnival 92 one day though

Joshers744

Joshers744 said:

Looks like I'm continuing this playthrough of Four Swords Adventures and possibly yet another Twilight Princess playthrough to hype up for Wind Waker....oh yeah, and more DIsney Infinity!

NImH

NImH said:

Is would love to download Dungeons & Dragons but find myself...how you say?... broke
Giana Sisters looks cool too... recommendations anyone? Chronicles or the Sisters?

TruenoGT

TruenoGT said:

This may be the first week I buy more than 0 or 1 thing in a while! Recca, D&D and maybe BOF2 for me.

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

Best week in a while. When I do pick a game up, first will be Summer Carnival '92 RECCA. D&D I want, but I'm sorry when you have a game on hold for 3 months and its been on sale already on other platforms, asking for $15 is too much. Will buy eventually though.

And hey, something for just about everybody, no matter what genre you like.

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

RECCA RECCA RECCA RECCA RECCA RECCA RECCA RECCA RECCA RECCA RECCA RECCA Need me to say it some more? Okay. RECCA RECCA RECCA RECCA RECCA RECCA RECCA RECCA RECCA RECCA RECCA RECCA RECCA

I might also get Breath of Fire II at some point. Playing Chrono Trigger for the first time recently made me like RPGs more than I already did.

SphericalCrusher

SphericalCrusher said:

Was considering plugging up the SNES and popping in Breath of Fire 2 lately, so will probably pick it up on eShop for convenience sake! The D&D game looks quite fun. Not sure what I can get this week though due to all of my recent purchases of WiiU titles.

Prof_Elvin_Gadd

Prof_Elvin_Gadd said:

I'll possibly pick up BoF2 in the next few weeks, but nothing for me. I've got so much to play already. Good week though!

Blast

Blast said:

Good week but I'm saving up my cash for a digital copy of Senran Kagura 3D ;D

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

I don't see how Dungeons and Dragons will ever be acceptable unless they started again. (Which I seriously doubt they did).

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@DarkCoolEdge RECCA is better than pretty much everything else on the NES.

(Games that have a Superior Version on another System excluded).

Crisis Force is better but that is a Famicom only game (Like Recca).

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

Going to be picking up Dungeons and Dragons and Breath of Fire II today.

Dark_Link

Dark_Link said:

I see that Capcom is releasing more games on the eShop and Virtual Console. Probably due to how well Duck Tales sold on the Wii U :)

NbaJunkie

NbaJunkie said:

Ive got a 20$ eshop credit but will wait for a review of d and d before making the plunge.May just hold off for shovel knight or rayman.No rush seeing as I rediscovered the cave...Legit!

Pokefanmum82

Pokefanmum82 said:

Nothing for me as I have no money right now. My money that I have is going towards Star Trek Into Darkness Blu-ray release next week. But will be downloading Sonic generations at some point for my son.

siavm

siavm said:

Is flipnote still coming? Or is wishing for it pushing it farther away?

Platypus101

Platypus101 said:

D&D CoM for only 15$? Fools! I would have gladly paid 20$, even after the long delay! Time for some good ol' side-scrolling donkey-kicking co-op fun! WOOT! P.S. I have been typing this as I start up my Wii U... Almost at the screen... Downloading... Errrghh..

Sonic1994CD

Sonic1994CD said:

Nothing for me this week, I'm playing Rayman Legends probably better then all these games. ^o^

stupidpupil

stupidpupil said:

Good choices this week, but already blew my gaming budget on Rayman Legends and miscellaneous Steam purchases :)

World

World said:

Oh man, two of my favorite game series that never asked for a sequel are getting MORE sequels? I...don't think I can handle this kind of excitement.

But then, I guess I don't even have a Wii U so I'll have to see Gianas later.

Robo-Rockford (or whatever you're calling yourself these days) on the other hand...I'll see you later.

Rawk_Hawk

Rawk_Hawk said:

I'm interested in that Summer Carnival game that has nothing to do with real carnivals but blowing up space ships instead.

Yorumi

Yorumi said:

I'm getting giana and breath of fire, not sure why i've never played a breath of fire game so I'm looking forward to that.

gojiguy

gojiguy said:

I would get D&D but I waited 2 months and still have to pay full price? No thanks.

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

Giana Sisters, then Breath of Fire.

By the way, any idea when TNT Racers will come to the Americas?

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

Breath of Fire II for me. It would've been Dungeons & Dragons, but I'd rather get it on PSN so I actually have people to play co-op with.

Donjwolf

Donjwolf said:

BAH!! No Revenge of the 'Gator! I am displeased! That Darts game looks interesting though. You just need to buy it once, and you can play with other people through Download play?

Honestly, EU right now is getting all the games I want!! Where's my Revenge of the 'Gator and Star Soldier!!!! :(

JJtheTexan

JJtheTexan said:

Glad I waited on Boulder Dash XL 3D! I almost picked up a physical copy a few weeks ago. This is definitely a much better value! Same story with Myst 3D; I wanted it when the physical release hit, but waited and snagged it for a lousy $5 on eShop not too long ago. This is a good trend!

ikki5

ikki5 said:

Giana Sisters for sure, then Breath of Fire. I'll wait for reviews for the others.

(There needs to be an option in these votes for like "two or more"

Blue_Yoshi

Blue_Yoshi said:

Hmmm Giana Sisters is difficult.....Looks like I'll wait for a nice 50% sale. I got way too many games on my backlog for this to even be considered not when it's considered too difficult to be beaten fast.

zionich

zionich said:

Is it me, or is it a shame that the virtual console releases dont release for 3ds as well as WiiU the same day, or in otber cases at all.

Donjwolf

Donjwolf said:

@JaredJ BoF was published by SE in NA, which I presume is why it hasn't come to VC yet. They'd have to ask SE for permission, and it'd probably cost too.

KingH3nrry

KingH3nrry said:

Wow I would have expected Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams to get more votes. Oh well, I think I'll be getting it nonetheless

siconlol

siconlol said:

WHEN IS FLIPNOTE COMING!?!? >:O I haven't been this mad about a delay since SSBB CMON NINTENDO HURRY UP

tchaten

tchaten said:

@LDXD said nothing about a review - I said Nintendo should release that game on the Wii U virtual console. I would like to play it for the first time and would rather not do that in Wii mode.

LDXD

LDXD said:

@tchaten lmao my bad that's what I get for skimming through stuff, anyway once it does get released you're in for a treat, I personally can't wait for the 2nd one on the 3ds, I think I'm more excited about that than anything else coming out for any system this year

DarkEdi

DarkEdi said:

A lot for me this week:

• Giana Sisters
  • Dungeons and Dragons
  • Boulder Dash
  • Recca
unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@tchaten Have you completed Links Awakening ? (If you have I would say it is better to get Secret of Mana instead). It is a good game and if you have not played either it is probably better but it is too similar. (Even though it was released first - I played it afterwards and didn't have to think about anything in the whole game).

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

@tchaten No, you get Link's Awakening AND A Link to the Past! They are both fantastic games that you should not miss out on!

KnightRider666

KnightRider666 said:

@DarkCoolEdge: No way! You're not going to give Summer Carnival '92 Recca a shot? Other than that, I guess you're right... Although I am curious about Darts Up 3D. Anybody take that plunge yet?

Eisenbolan

Eisenbolan said:

On your cite you have Mahjongg Essentials coming out today in US. Obviously it isn't. So whats the new date?

ForeverIgnited

ForeverIgnited said:

Download Play for Darts Up 3D sounds good... I might pick it up. But first, Recca is getting all of my attention.

alrighthearthis

alrighthearthis said:

I downloaded Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara, Breath of Fire II, and Summer Carnival '92 RECCA; easily the most I've downloaded for both platforms in the same day.

EaZy_T

EaZy_T said:

I almost got the cartridge, but waited for Boulder Dash XL to come to the eShop too. Loved it on the C=64 back in the day, I even got Digger Dan DSiWare a while ago because it's almost a clone of it.

Rerun

Rerun said:

D&D for me. So much cheaper than playing in the arcade! I think I spent over $100 playing this when it first came out.

Donjwolf

Donjwolf said:

@KnightRider666 Don't get Darts Up, man! There's a big flaw in the game where once you find 'the right spot' which isn't that hard, you can get bulls-eyes over and over and over and over.....which pretty much makes the game too easy and rather pointless. I saw a video review and the reviewer said that, and judging from the video, it's actually true.

SmaMan

SmaMan said:

Sigh... figures the two games I've really been waiting for BOTH come out the same day... and when I just renewed my XBOX Gold subscription and need to save up a bit... and then there's Bit.Trip Saga still on sale. :O

DarkCoolEdge

DarkCoolEdge said:

@KnightRider666 No, I like shoot'em ups but not the incredibly hard. The only NES game I'm interested in is Castlevania III and it is going to take a while until it sees the light of day.

DarkCoolEdge

DarkCoolEdge said:

@KnightRider666 I know but thankfully there are plenty of games to keep me entertained between th ones coming out and the ones I have yet to finish (SMT IV, Soul Hackers, Zelda, RE: Revelations, MGS 3D, Oracle of Ages & Seasons, all Mario & Luigi games...)

KnightRider666

KnightRider666 said:

@DarkCoolEdge: Yeah I finally beat RE Revelations on the casual difficulty a week ago. I was playing SMT IV like crazy, but I needed a break from it. I've been working on Pokemon Mystery Dungeon GTI.

DarkCoolEdge

DarkCoolEdge said:

@KnightRider666 Did you like RE:R? I've only beaten three or four chapters and so far it is great.
SMT IV is one of my most hyped releases of the year. The wait is being too long :_

Are you enjoying Gates to Infinity? The demo bored me to death. I guess the Mystery Dungeon series is not meant for me.

KnightRider666

KnightRider666 said:

@DarkCoolEdge: Yes, RE:R is awesome. I even started playing Raid Mode, which is pretty cool. SMT IV is a very long game. I'm far into it, even past where the included strategy guide takes you. I purchased all the DLC for the game so far. At first I wasn't very into P:GTI, but I recently gave it another go and love it. I literally just purchased all the DLC for the game as well. Did you buy Resident Evil The Mercenaries? You can get it brand new on amazon or ebay for under $15 shipped. I added you as a friend on my 3DS, you should do the same;)

Slayer

Slayer said:

Jewel Adventures? Nah. Am I the only one who pays attention to the DSi stuff?

Slayer

Slayer said:

By the way 100th comment. Lol. Lucky Wii U and 3DS owners-you guys get the good stuff.