You Can Now Use Your GameCube Pad On Your Wii U

Posted by Damien McFerran

Isn't modern technology just wonderful?

One of the hidden talents of the original Wii console was support for GameCube controllers, but sadly this functionality was removed from the Wii U — along with the ability to play GameCube discs.

For those of you who simply can't let go of that beloved Wavebird, help is at hand. Mayflash — a company famed for its weird and wonderful unofficial peripherals — has produced an adapter which plugs into the Wii U and allows you to connect GameCube pads.

Retailing on Amazon for $16.99, the adapter offers the following:

• Built-in Turbo
  • Compatibility with all games supported by the Wii Classic Controller
  • Compatibility with all games supported by the Wii Classic Controller Pro
  • A, B, X, Y, L, R and Z can be customized

Will you be picking one of these up, or is the Wii U Pro Controller just fine for your needs?

[via amazon.com, mayflash.com]

JLSniper

JLSniper said:

Oh.. my.. goodness. Yes! Yes! Yes! Now I'll get to use my favorite controller on my Wii U.

Squashie

Squashie said:

That's a pretty decent piece of kit, I may actually consider picking one up!

Zyph

Zyph said:

They reaaaally should have made the Wii U Pro Controller's designs similar to the Wavebird so that it would not have have to deal with large criticisms comparing it to the X360 controller. Not that I hate the Pro controller or anything, it's pretty neat. The GC controller was quite comfy to hold so just saying. :)

Macattack

Macattack said:

Oh man, YES!!! You have no idea how awkward it is for me to play Smash Bros. among other titles on the Wii U with the pro controller. I just can't shake that comfy grip/layout I'm used to having with my 'ol GCN controller.
I will most definitely be picking this up~!

Shiryu

Shiryu said:

I see this thing taking off big time as soon as "Super Smash Bros U" arrives.

Macattack

Macattack said:

@Zyph: What?! It won't support it for Wii U mode? D= But... Super Smash Bros U...
This hurts quite a bit. Get with the program, Nintendo.

EarthboundBenjy

EarthboundBenjy said:

No, but this will make the Wii U think there's a Classic controller attached, when in reality it is connected to your GCN controller. Smash Bros is no doubt going to support classic controller, and if both Smash AND this controller are customisable, it should be no probs getting the controls of Smash Bros to mimic Melee / Brawl.

Zyph

Zyph said:

@Macattack It's kinda obvious since Wii U has no GC backwards compatibility. That said, I think it won't work with Wii mode as well, since GC games can no longer be played on the Wii U except for Virtual Console games. To play them you need this attachment to plug your GC controller.
But like @EarthboundBenjy said, if it detects the GC controller as a Wii Classic controller/Wiimote (in Wii U mode) then it just might work, assuming the game supports the classic controller/wiimote.

FullbringIchigo

FullbringIchigo said:

i happy with my Wii Classic Controller Pro thanks, but it is a good thing for all those who like to use the gamecube controller on their Wii games

Sekuiya

Sekuiya said:

@Zyph Well, I guess that's why you can customize you controls, since the Wii U isn't detecting a GC but most likely a Wii Classic Controler. It probably just "lies" to the system which controller is connected.
At least that's what I hope for. Not getting it if it's not compatible in Wii U mode.

antonvaltaz

antonvaltaz said:

@Zyph It says it is compatible with all games that support the Wii Classic Controller. In fact if you look at the picture it seems you use the adapter to plug your GC pad into your Wiimote, just as you plug a Classic Controller.

MayhemStaff

Mayhem said:

That looks extremely promising. The fact one review says it works with the Wavebird means I may get it whenever I get around to buying a WiiU...

Cranky

Cranky said:

I think this is better than having GC pad ports, hardly any developers gave you the option to use the GC pad in the first place. I use a similar device to use my GC controller on my pc. My only concern is that the GC pad has only one left shoulder button and the analogue triggers would just be in the way. Still, I'm getting one, the GC pad is the best imo.

EarthboundBenjy

EarthboundBenjy said:

Wavebirds should work, 'cause the small box thing just plugs in to a GCN port like any other GCN controller.

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

I love the GC controller, but i wouldnt mind if Nintendo simply would enable input from the WiiU controllers in Wii mode. It cant be that hard to let some sort of "controller emulation" run in the background. I realy hate all the controller switcharoo, my floor is littered in nintendo controllers already :D
Since the WiiU isnt GC compatible, there is no need fo analogue shoulder buttons, so any controller would work. So why not simply support tablet and new pro controllers for any Wii application, telling the system that the new pro controller is in fact a wii mote / classic combo.

uximal

uximal said:

If SSBU works with the Wii Classic controller then automatically it will work with GCN controller hence this little gizmo will be worth the purchase.

jestermx6

jestermx6 said:

I still use my Wavebird on my GameCube upstairs. I'll just get the Nyko Wii U Pro controller, since it has the XB360 layout instead of Nintendo's variation of it.

MadAdam81

MadAdam81 said:

If I want 4 controllers, I may have to get a couple of these. I've got 2 pro controllers and have 2 pretty good GC controllers from my Wii. This would be a much cheaper way of adding more controllers.

Crazybrain1

Crazybrain1 said:

If the new Super Smash Bros. game supports Gamecube controllers, then this would definitely be worth it.

OdnetninAges

OdnetninAges said:

@Zyph

EPIC FACEPALM

Did you even READ the article?
It registers the GameCube controller as a Wii Classic Controller, which SSB4 will likely use.

Intrepid

Intrepid said:

Yes! Nintendo should have realized how important Gamecube controllers are to people. I'll definately be picking up two of them.

rjejr

rjejr said:

Judging by the Amazon reviews this is legit.

It plugs into a Wiimote - though there seem to be issues w/ Wiimote Pluses - just like a Wii Classic controller. So what it does is let you replace a Wii classic w/ a Gamecube controller. Since my kids spend a lot of time using our Gamecube controllers on the Wii - SSBB and Mario Kart - and we don't own any Wii Classics, I may pick up a pair of these if the new SB and Kart games support the old controllers.

Jaz007

Jaz007 said:

This is great. I'll have to pick it up sometime if everything works right. I might do Wii to Wii U transfer if I can use a gamecube controller as the lack GC controller is why I haven't done it.

tchaten

tchaten said:

Not sure why this is needed until we have GameCube VC titles or an external GameCube disc drive that we can play on the Wii U.

EarthboundBenjy

EarthboundBenjy said:

The thing about this though, there are some Wii games that support classic and GCN, but the controls are different. For example in Sonic Unleashed, left punch and right punch are L and R on GCN controller, but X and Y on Classic controller. This means that, if played on a Wii U with this thing, it's still going to be bound to the Classic controller setup unless you change it. But even then, it's going to be tricky to pull off quicktime events in Sonic Unleashed if the buttons displayed aren't the same as the controller it thinks you're using.

Personally, I'm not getting rid of my Wii, and I'm not transerring anything off my Wii, precisely because of games with GCN controller support.

The-Chosen-one

The-Chosen-one said:

does this mean i can play smashbros brawl on the wiiU with my Gamecube controller now?

they should give an update that we can play all games that support GC controller, that we can use the WiiU pro controller instead.

Zyph

Zyph said:

@OdnetninAges I think you didn't get what I said. YES I read the article. All I'm saying is the Wii U NATURALLY does not support GC controllers. And the conclusion is this attachment. I didn't complete my first comment but if you read my 2nd one you'll see there that I referenced the actual article that it reads the controller as a Wii controller. You don't have to be such a donkey about it. sigh :|
The internet is so cruel indeed... :|

SetupDisk

SetupDisk said:

Na, gamepad and pro are good enough for me. I'll keep my GC controllers for my GC since I just did the transfer and don't need my Wii hooked up anymore. Damn lack of space and outlets.

UnseatingKDawg

UnseatingKDawg said:

I ordered one of these from Amazon the other day, just because it looked interesting. I guess I can put in my input once it arrives and I get to try it out.

Blizzaga

Blizzaga said:

@b23cdq No, you cannot use the Wii U Pro Controller on any Wii game. The poster has the Wii U Pro Controller confused with the Classic Controller Pro.

mch

mch said:

@Nintendolife
I believe there is a lot of interest and as many open questions about this tool. I'd appreciate if you guys would make a review on this adapter, it obviously seems to have it's pro and cons..

bassoongoon

bassoongoon said:

If I had known about this, I would have made sure to hang on to at least one of my GCN controllers!

Haxonberik

Haxonberik said:

So it makes the GC controller pass as a classic controller. That means you should be able to use them on both old and new smash bros. I have to pick one of these up at some time, if it works on wii mode, that is.

DarkEdi

DarkEdi said:

A lot comments are confused. This accesory is plugged in the Wiimote, so the Wii U thinks is a classic controller, so you can use it in Wii mode or Wii U compatible games with classic controller (but you use a gamecube controller instead a classic controller).

Mickey

Mickey said:

I'm going to be THAT GUY and say I never really liked the GameCube controller. I personally disliked the size, button layout, shape and feel of the controller. And the only time I ever REALLY "got into" was with Star Fox Assault's dual-stick mode. Of course, that's probably due to my freakishly huge hands.

hydeks

hydeks said:

very nice! this is way better than those mock-up ones you see on youtube. GameCube controller is arguably the best Nintendo controller, so to be able to use it as a Wii U controller is just fantastic :)

mikeyman64

mikeyman64 said:

I actually just built one of these not long ago. Doesn't have all the cool features though, so I may grab one.

SCAR392

SCAR392 said:

My guess is that rumble is out if you have a wired one... I got used to the classic controller pro, so I don't really need this.

Yanchamaru

Yanchamaru said:

I have a Mayflash adapter connected to my PC to play games with the Wii Classic Pro controller. They make great products that are very durable

Gridatttack

Gridatttack said:

This is awesome. The Gamecube controller is the best controller. So I will sure pick this up sometime.

FernandoMachado

FernandoMachado said:

It's not clearly stated in the article but this accessory goes into the Wii Remote/Plus conector and the connected GameCube Controller will be recognized as a Classic Controller, meaning that it's only compatible with games that accepted Classic Controller in the first place.

While we're at it. I remember reading that the Wii U Gamepad features an acessory slot. Do we know about anything that fits into it?

TheRegginator

TheRegginator said:

@RupeeClock Mayflash has had such a peripheral out for years. They also have one that lets you use Wii remote accessories such as the CC and nunchuck with your PC. I have that one. I'll probably pick this one up so I can use my GC controller with my Wii U and PC.

Xcape_DuCkMAN_X

Xcape_DuCkMAN_X said:

This device is the truth!!! I had recently got this a couple weeks back and ran SSB on Wii Mode, kinda wierd, case in point, GAMECUBE CONTROLLERS WILL NEVER DIE!!! :)

SkywardCrowbar

SkywardCrowbar said:

I'd rather get an official controller. I'll need to pick up either a Pro Controller or a Classic Controller to play the games I have from Club Nintendo downloaded from the Wii Virtual Console.

Will the Pro Controller play games on the Wii menu in the Wii Menu?

Wowfunhappy

Wowfunhappy said:

erm, I got one of these about a month ago. It's been out for a little while.

It's still awesome though! :D

BulbasaurusRex

BulbasaurusRex said:

Will this also work on the Wii for those games that support Classic Controllers but not GameCube Controllers?

EDIT: I went to Mayflash's website, and yes it does work with the Wii. I'm definitely ordering one now.

Vishiyra

Vishiyra said:

I wonder if this would allow you to play DDR on the wii u? (the dance pad uses the gamecube connection, so later versions of the wii and the wii u can't play)

Algus

Algus said:

Umm cool but I'll take the Classic Controller Pro or the Wii U Pro over a GCN controller.

Wavebird was nice back in the day but is far from my favorite controller.

FJOJR

FJOJR said:

I wonder if this allows me to play DDR? Does anyone know if the classic controller was supported by any of the DDRs?

TenEighty

TenEighty said:

Why doesn't Nintendo just make a wireless Gamecube controller for the Wii and WiiU? Everyone seems to like this controller. Give the people what they want.

FJOJR

FJOJR said:

@Vishiyra There's a guy on youtube who was playing DDR with the classic controller. I think we are good to go!

smashbrolink

smashbrolink said:

@Macattack The Wii U Pro and Classic controllers both will likely be compatible with the Wii U version of Smash Bros, so I doubt you'll be lacking in controller options.

Pod

Pod said:

So.. it'll be a Wii-mote, with this thing attached, with a GC controller attached, playing Wii U games.

It's going to look weird is all I'm saying, but it's great that it exists.

joepassive

joepassive said:

Ok, I Already have this. this is just amazing. playing Fifa 13, with this, is just great. The original gamecube controller (i dont have a wavebird) is still really good, and it's just the best for this mission

Ryon

Ryon said:

I just got mine in the mail today (thanks nintendo life for telling me about it)

it works perfectly on smash bros. my gameplay is no longer hindered by that stupid classic controller.

I feel as if its brought new life to my Wii U. (not like it needed it)

Nico07

Nico07 said:

@Crazybrain1 I would think definately supported in Super Smash Bros. The Wii U registers this device and the Gamecube controller as a "Classic Controller".

WaxxyOne

WaxxyOne said:

@NL:
I'm sorry to say I just got mine in the mail and found that you have a really bad mistake here that is resulting in false advertising for the device.

You state:
"A, B, X, Y, L, R and Z can be customized"

Amazon.com states:
"The button A, B, X, Y, L, R and Z can be customized with Turbo"

Dropping those critical words at the end results in sounding like you can remap most of the buttons freely. This is not true. You can only enable and disable turbo on those buttons individually. The buttons they map to are set in stone by the device and cannot be changed.

Here is the key they provide if anyone is interested:

A (GC) => a (CC)
B => b
X => x
Y => y
R => R
L => L
Z => ZR (ZL cannot be used)
D-Pad => D-Pad
Left Analog => Left Analog
C-Stick => Right Analog
Press and hold Start for 2+ seconds => HOME
Press and release Start once => -/Select
Press Start twice in rapid succession => +/Start

WaxxyOne

WaxxyOne said:

@Haxonberik
It works in all the modes. The device simply translates a GC controller's inputs to those of a Classic Controller in hardware. The software does not need to support it at all as all it sees connected to the Wiimote is a Classic Controller and treats the device as such.

kdognumba1

kdognumba1 said:

This is glorious! This is quite possibly some of the best news I've seen in a long time regarding any controller on any system.

Varia01

Varia01 said:

Oh wow, really? That's neat. GameCube games may not be on the Wii U right now, but with this, it can feel like it.

supered91

supered91 said:

so does this work with games that support wii u pro controllers,because someone told me it doesen't

bassoongoon

bassoongoon said:

Wow, how exciting. I might have to get this. I need something to play my N64 Wii VC games since selling my GCN stuff. However I might just go with the Wii classic controller pro.