Reggie Unmoved By The Threat Of $400 PlayStation 4

Posted by Damien McFerran

Holiday season will put Nintendo in a "very good position"

Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime has been speaking to Kotaku about the current state of the Wii U, and has delivered some typically bullish predictions — as well as admitting that the console has struggled to satisfy core gamers.

Talking about the "next-gen verses current gen" debate which continues to rage around the Wii U, PS4 and Xbox One, Fils-Aime was quick to point out that experts were making the same noises when the original Wii launched:

It's a very inaccurate narrative. In fact, that was the narrative in 2006. That was exactly the narrative.

The Nintendo boss also explained that the Wii and Wii U aren't actually that far apart in terms of sales, if you compare the two at the same point in their lifespans:

If you look at it from a U.S. perspective, this point in time vs. where we were with the Wii life stage, there's a difference of about 1 to 1.5 million units. Over a potential lifespan over 40 million-plus units, that's not a lot.

According to Nintendo's public sales figures, 2.37 million Wiis were sold by the end of March 31, 2007. Compare that to the 1.52 million Wii Us sold by March 31 of this year, and the gap is even less than Fils-Aime suggests.

Reggie is well aware why the console is struggling, too — it lacks the killer app that the Wii had, which was Wii Sports:

I would say the big difference in the Wii launch vs. the Wii U launch is that, at the [Wii] launch we had a fantastic game in Wii Sports that really helped people understand the magic of the Wii Remote, and we had Zelda. We had Zelda there at the launch to satisfy the more active player and when you look at what we had at the launch for Wii U, yes we had a Mario game — a fantastic Mario game that has a very strong attach rate to the hardware — but there wasn't as many opportunities for the more active player to really get behind the system.

Still, Fils-Aime isn't ready to push the panic button just yet — he sees big things for the Wii U this Christmas:

You know, I think by the end of this holiday, after we've launched Wind Waker, after we've launched Donkey Kong Country, after we've launched Mario 3D World, I think we're going to be in a very good position.

He's also unconcerned by the forthcoming arrival of the PS4 and Xbox One — which will retail for $400 and $500 respectively, surely making the $350 32GB model of the Wii U look a little less appealing to the average consumer:

It puts no pressure on us at all. Sony and Microsoft are going to do what they're going to do. My bet is that there are going to be more announcements the closer we get to whatever their launch date is.

From my perspective, I can't focus on that. I have to focus on: How do we satisfy the needs of all of the consumers out there with Nintendo products? How do we make sure they understand our proposition? How do we make sure they're excited about the software that we offer? And from that standpoint we're going to let our competition do what they're going to do.

That could be taken as yet another confirmation that Nintendo won't be dunking the price of the Wii U any time soon; Reggie's comments are echoed by Nintendo CEO Satoru Iwata and Nintendo of America's Scott Mofitt.

[via kotaku.com]

Rafie

Rafie said:

He's right. This holiday season belongs to the Wii U and solidifies Nintendo a good position in revenue. Glad he's focused on the Wii U and what Nintendo has to do as a whole to keep it afloat!

herzausstein

herzausstein said:

@Omarsonic9

Yeah my wallet is going to be killing me by years end. Pikmin 3, Rayman Legends, Wonderful 101, Wind Waker HD, DKC Tropical Freeze, Sonic Lost World, Super Mario 3D World.

MrWalkieTalkie

MrWalkieTalkie said:

But still, Nintendo owns me this holiday with not only all their upcoming Wii U games, but also their 3DS games like Pokemon X/Y & TLOZ: A Link Between Worlds.

GN004Nadleeh

GN004Nadleeh said:

no one in their right mind is going to pay $350 for a wii u when the god like ps4 is only $400. i got a black wii u pretty much for free but if i had paid $350 i would have kicked myself. nintendo just wants to be apple. i hate apple but they had a genius who did not play with a fake zelda sword or wear a luigi hat. nintendo needs to learn that not all gamers are still children

Captain_Balko

Captain_Balko said:

I think that people fail to take into account that many parents would rather buy their children the family friendly Nintendo products than the PS4. I'm a swim instructor, and 90% of the kids that I teach that I asked about video games only have Nintendo systems, and it's more like 100% if they're under 10. When big Nintendo games come out, kids talk at school and whatnot, and beg their parents. This will occur with Mario 3D World and other games.

DualWielding

DualWielding said:

@Captain_Balko

I think that's one of the problems of the Wii U, a parent with more than one child will be put down by the prospect of endless arguments among their kids regarding who gets to play with the gamepad plus parents with small children may be concerned about them dropping the gamepad and breaking the screen

Drewroxsox

Drewroxsox said:

@Captain_Balko honestly, I can say I'm NOT excited about getting a Wii U anymore, even with those games. I can get my fill of Nintendo games on my 3ds, and I can get a ps4, which is a better buy for me, looking at only a $50 price difference and how much more powerful it is. Please DON'T be a blinded fanboy. Nintendo still might be in trouble this holiday season, even with its "fantastic Nintendo IP".

datamonkey

datamonkey said:

"That could be taken as yet another confirmation that Nintendo won't be dunking the price of the Wii U any time soon"

Thing is they would never give even the smallest hint of a price cut before actually reducing the price as they wouldn't want to scupper sales (especially at a higher price) up until the date of the reduction.

Just because Reggie/Iwata are strongly hinting at no price cut doesn't mean it's not coming.

bizcuthammer

bizcuthammer said:

Nintendo games arent just for kids... They're for everyone. Thats why they're fantastic. Anyone can pick up and play mario or pokemon or zelda. They're simple enough for casual/young gamers, yet deep enough for core gamers. I can play nintendo land, mario and smash bros with my 2-year old son, my 4-year old neice, myself (25-year old male) my 51-year old dad, and my 70-year old grandma, and we can all have fun. You cant say the same about games like Call of Duty, Uncharted, God of War, Halo, Forza or Final Fantasy. Only nintendo does it. They're like the disney of video games.

Mickey

Mickey said:

Once the "Reggasaurus" has decided its in a good position, it is impossible to move it.

SuperCharlie78

SuperCharlie78 said:

With PS4 at 400$ they are forced to cut the premium Wii U to 250$, or they are crazy.
Plus, they are quite out of the reality if they think that is a strong first party line up, because it isn't.

GearsOfWarU

GearsOfWarU said:

Pikmin 3 August, Rayman Legends & The Wonderful 101 in September, Sonic Lost World .. AC4 Black Flag & Batman Arkham Origins in October, COD Ghosts & Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze in November, Super Mario 3D World & maybe Wii Party U in December... That's alot of games to buy this Fall ... I'm gonna be broke but Happy ;-)

Pod

Pod said:

@ferthepoet
The GamePad and its screen are extremely durable and resistant to fall damage, do to the choice of hard plastics rather than metal and glass.

Edit:
Seems I'm not as right about this as I would have liked to be. Several people are reporting GamePad screens that break from falling relatively short distances. Hopefully this is something that will be improved in a routine production upgrade.

EditEdit:

Check this out though, seems VERY durable.

james_squared

james_squared said:

@ferthepoet
My daughter has dropped that GamePad many times on our wood floor and it still works great. Also, any household with more than one child deals with arguments between children. That's the nature of having more than one child around. This happens with or without Nintendo; be it a soccer ball, football, stick, or juice box, this is just what kids do. Learning to share is an important life skill, but it takes time to learn how to share. I have turned off the Wii U several because kids couldn't share or take turns well enough. The kids complained, but they just moved on to do something else.

Yorumi

Yorumi said:

I really wish people would stop having such tunnel vision on console power. My PC blows away an console and I can assure you it doesn't make for better games.

Beyond that people need to stop thinking ram means power. Yes the ps4 is more powerful than the wiiU but when you actually get into it, combined with the severe exponential diminishing returns on gpu power I think a lot of people will be somewhat disappointed in how ps4 games actually look in practice.

Maybe it's just cause I've been pc gaming for so long, but it does put some perspective on things when consoles fans go gaga over tech that's existed for years. Power didn't win last gen, or the one before it, or before that, and it's a really good bet it won't win this one either.

Akira_1975

Akira_1975 said:

I'm still in shock over the XBox one reveal. They've essentially turned the xbox into a rental service. Imagine never owning a single game in your library? Thanks Nintendo for sticking up for gamers everywhere!

MeddlingIdiotStaff

MeddlingIdiot said:

Power, power, power... That's all anyone says about the other two consoles. What good is power without creativity? Sure, your headshot might look slightly more realistic but it's still the same old game underneath. Pikmin 3 and Wonderful 101 are a brilliant showcase of what can be done with less power and way more creativity, and look how good these games look visually if that's all you're bothered about. They certainly hold their own against anything the competitors were showing at E3.

LordsOfSkulls

LordsOfSkulls said:

@Captain_Balko

Does the "Godlike" PS4 have Mario, Zelda, Smash Bros, Mario Kart, Pikmin, or any other fantastic Nintendo IP?

Mario - Little Big Planet
Zelda - DarkSiders/Folklore/ all the JRPGs on PS3
Smash Bros - Playstation All Star
Mario Kart - Little Big Planet Kart

Pikmin - Portal 2/El Shadai? >.> kinda not sure on Pikmin it unique.

ToadFan

ToadFan said:

@GN004Nadleeh I think that the PS4 will sell extremely well against the XBOX One and probably will beat the Wii U. But, the Wii U will still sell a lot this holiday season thanks to the big IPs that are coming to Wii U. Right now, the PS4 does not have any big IPs coming to the system this holiday like God of War, Uncharted, Rachet and Clank, or Little Big Planet.

That being said, Infamous and Killzone are still successful IP's but not on the level of Sony's other IP's. But who knows, maybe Killzone or Infamous will become huge franchises this holiday season. Eventually, I do plan on getting a PS4 for games like Final Fantasy XIV and XV, Little Big Planet, and Uncharted.

Yorumi

Yorumi said:

@ToadFan I would strongly suggest getting the pc version of ff14 if you can. You need a keyboard anyway, and even though the game being designed with a controller in mind you still have enough skills that controllers will be at a disadvantage over keyboard controls.

For that one specific game you're really better off on a pc, ps3/4 should really be a last resort for it.

GamerJunkie

GamerJunkie said:

@Yorumi PS4 is great for FFXIV. I already have the PC version, but plan to get it on PS4 since you play together all on the same server and your characters transfer over. It means you can play on TV when you want and on PC when you want.

The game was made with controller in mind, so you really can play it fine with one, I already tried it on my PC.

Dreamcaster-X said:

Unfortunately it will be a big issue for many gamers. I love my Wii U & I've been more than happy with it so far but c'mon they're gonna have to drop the price. $399 gets you the most powerful next gen console with a 500 GB hard drive or you can pick much older technology for $349 and a 32GB flash drive. I LOVE Nintendo but I'm not delusional....the price WILL be an issue.

TheAdrock

TheAdrock said:

If he's "unconcerned" then he's either lying or is delusional.

And as for the next-gen/current-gen label debate: all that matters is what developers think. If they don't want to develop for it because its "current-gen" (in their minds), if all new cool games skip the U, then N loses.

banacheck

banacheck said:

Yorumi

Are you kidding me, most games have been made on incomplete hardware and what your seeing from E3, a lot of the games are still at alpha stage still in development. Look at The Division, MGSV you cannot get them sort of graphics on the PS3 , never mind MGSV is an real time open world game. I tell tell you something games are going to be unreal in about year or two, i think people will been very happy we the rental version of games come Nov.

Just going buy Pre-orders that the PS4 has been doing, the PS4 is going to sell very well. Also the PS4 is going to have a lot of software to go with it, and even more come Q1 2014 including exclusive's. I think the Wii U will sell but how well i'm not sure, as you get a lot more value for your money for the PS4. Glad to see Nintendo positive tho, as long as thay make a profit Nintendo will be happy.

TheAdrock

TheAdrock said:

@MeddlingIdiot , "What good is power without creativity?"

For the most part I agree with you. But on the flip side: what good is creativity when it doesn't come to the U? N is in a catch-22 as we know, but if developers don't believe in the system and all the cool new games skip it (or we only get some lame half-assed port which seems to be the case so far) then the U is a fail.

Yorumi

Yorumi said:

@banacheck you realize the ps4 isn't stronger than a pc from a few years ago right? This is a huge issue that console only gamers need to realize, the highest powered console is never equal to a modern pc. This is largely why console power wars are so stupid, they arn't making new tech, they're just repackaging old tech.

@GamerJunkie the problem is ff14 is an MMO, you need to chat, that means you need a keyboard. Yes you can plug one into a ps4 but if you're playing with a controller that means every time you want to say anything at all you need to put down the controller, pick up the keyboard, type the message, and the switch back to controller. Camera control is much easier with a mouse too, and you have enough skills that you can't map them all to controller buttons so you'll have to be constantly switching hotkey pallets. I'm not trying to make anyone's decision for them just warning that MMOs are games that are hindered by the use of a controller.

@Dreamcaster-X
Actually, you are delusional. Most people will choose Nintendo over Sony anyday, especially for $50-$100 less.
Also, the PS4 is probably worse than you think, and the Wii U is better than you think.
Just a thought to keep in mind, and PS4 charges for online now. It will cost $300 more in a 5 year console span, if not more.

Dreamcaster-X said:

I think Nintendo makes amazing games but the Wii U is struggling and badly. I'm not in denial about that like some people. I hope their upcoming lineup can right the ship but a price drop is gonna be a necessity.

Dreamcaster-X said:

Yes but the sales have dropped off a cliff since launch. It's a BIG concern. I mean they're really bad right now & the perception of the system in the public eye isn't good either.

iHailPhilly

iHailPhilly said:

Wii U will be alright, I am getting mine at the end of the summer. Between Wii U and Steam on my iMac, I am covered. I love Valve and Nintendo. I do believe a price drop is necessary especially with PS4 only $50 away, I think the could lower it to $300 and up the storage.

TechnoEA

TechnoEA said:

"What's power without creativity ? "

Except the Devs who work for Sony are creative and very talented, Sony doesn't make games guys, game devs do, it scares me how you guys think Nintendo is the only company with creative teams and anyone who doesn't work for Nintendo is somehow a bad, untalented developer.

Yes the PS4 is a great deal 399 not to mention the HDD is a lot more than the Wii U without having to upgrade it, PS eye isn't boxed with it because very few games require or need it and it isn't mandatory ? Do you honestly think people aren't going to take that into consideration ?

The only reason I'm even getting a Wii U first is because I don't buy game systems at launch, so I'm waiting for the PS4 months after launch maybe into next year.

Dreamcaster-X said:

Yeah I don't want my comments to be taken out of text. I think the Wii U will sell enough consoles eventually for Nintendo to turn a profit and it's going to have amazing first party games which I am so excited for but I'm wise enough to know they've got a tough road ahead without a price drop.

Dreamcaster-X said:

@TechnoEA Yeah I would put Nintendo number one as a game developer with Sony at number 2 right behind them. Sony takes risks and makes clever games too. If you look at the breadth of first party Sony studios catalogs you will see some of the best games ever made so for people to think Sony doesn't make great games is just ludicrous.

Yorumi

Yorumi said:

I guess my point is do you suppose it's possible you're making a much bigger deal out of it that it really is? This is specially true in light of the 3ds. People act like if you don't run out and shout the sky is falling they're somehow in denial. You'd actually be amazed even at the current levels how close the typical console monthly sales trend in the first year.

@TechnoEA I kind of get sick of people acting like the hard drives in consoles are free. The funny thing is nintendo could have sold the wiiU for $50 more and included a 300GB hard drive and people would have thought it was so much better than buying their own hard drive(note anyone who thinks that's a good deal needs to be a more informed consumer). I mean nintendo actually tried to save people money and they get nothing but grief over it.

Dreamcaster-X said:

@SCAR392 Dude the only system the Wii U is outselling currently is the Vita. My point is they're already struggling against current gen systems and even their predecesor the Wii is outselling Wii U.
It's only gonna get worse when Sony & Microsoft drop the price of their current systems to $199 plus the next gen systems starting at only $50 more and Nintendo is gonna have their hands full.

I'm not saying their doomed at all but it's going to be incredibly tough to be competitive without a lower price point later this year.

Yorumi

Yorumi said:

@Dreamcaster-X I don't believe any next gen system has ever outsold the previous gen's systems in the first year, ever. This is what I mean about blowing thing out of proportion, people never take a look at history to see how things now compare to things then. Historically the majority of a consoles sales come in the second half of it's life not the first. When a new gen starts you have the previous gen in it's strongest selling period and the new gen in it's weakest selling period.

@Dreamcaster-X
Ya, but Vita is a key selling point for PS4. If Vita doesn't sell well, neither will PS4. Also add that Wii U doesn't have it's core games yet. That's enough to get appeal more so than an Xbox 360 or PS3, and to be able to keep up with Xbox One and PS4.

NMH-TRI

NMH-TRI said:

Don't let all the interviews fool you. There will be a Wii U price drop and/or bundle during the holiday season. They just want to keep selling the system between now and then, so they're waiting to make that announcement.

Edit: And enough time has passed that a $50 price drop won't send fans screaming about a Wii U ambassador program. Well...most fans...there are a lot of real "winners" out there. /s

hydeks

hydeks said:

All I know is I'm gonna be poor as $h*t come this holiday, thanks to Nintendo, so they are on the right track. People can't expect fantastic sales on a system within the first year, it's just stupid. PS4 and Xbox One are going for the "buy it now!" than their sales will really slow down, while Nintendo is slow at first, than will have a good constant sales, it's usually how these companies work :P

banacheck

banacheck said:

Yorumi
you realize the ps4 isn't stronger than a pc from a few years ago right?

How many year ago for a start as what you see in them spec's doesn't tell the whole story, and this goes for any console. Because console's are modified how much goes by the manufacture, but seeing as you can upgrade a PC it's not really surprising PC are more powerful. But the days of having to own a PC for good graphics are long gone, actually buying high end PC for gaming is nothing but a waste of money when you think about it. As most games are made and designed for console's, and console's being lead platform, console only player? PC's are not console's nor are console's PC's, both made differently.

No HDD in a console is free but seeing how manufacturer's get discounted hardware, also Nintendo are know for selling there hardware day one profit. The Wii U thay are selling on a loss but not by much, so whats wrong with adding a 160GB-320GB HDD which wouldn't send them into the red (joke). Cheap hardware for maxim profit.

Yorumi

Yorumi said:

@banacheck I'm just going to guess you'd don't have a good grasp of tech and are one of those people that believe power only matters when nintendo is behind in it. For some reason nintendo is doomed when they don't have power but when something is more powerful than a sony console that never matters.

And in case you're wondering with the difference in various ps3 models, sony was charging way more for storage space than it was worth. Dare I mention vita memory cards? I don't know why consumers don't want to make informed decisions.

NMH-TRI

NMH-TRI said:

Nintendo doesn't generate revenue from making TVs or the OS that comes factory installed on almost all computers. The other 2 can get away with selling at a greater loss.

Honestly, I don't need an HDD. I have 2 external hard drives. I don't know too many people w/out one. I've also only downloaded 1 game (I was too lazy to go out and grab Injustice). I mainly buy retail. Everyone has their preference and the option is there if you want it. For MANY people that will be downloading games, I think it's a safe bet that they already have hard drives. If they don't, SUCK IT UP AND BUY RETAIL, or use that $60 you have for a game and spend it on a huge external hard drive.

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

@Yorumi
I think your missing the point, in order to match the other consoles in terms of harddrive space you'll end up paying just as much for the Wii U as the PS4.

They're not "trying to save people money" either its simply a matter of cutting costs to keep prices down. Saying they want consumers to choose how much storage they need is just a nicer way to put it.

rjejr

rjejr said:

***Warning - math and negative Nintendo sentiment follows, read at your own risk*****

First off - Reggie's math is ATROCIOUS.

Reggie thinks the WiiU is ok b/c it's only sold .7 million less (NL actual numbers, not Reggie's imaginary ones) than the Wii at this point, and .7 mil is a small number? HELLO!?

Wii - 2.37 million
WiiU - 1.52 million

The Wii sold 50% FIFTY PERCENT more. Selling 50% better is a WHOLE LOT BETTER. It's not even remotely close at all. Or if you feel the Wii only sold 33% more - math is arguable - the WiiU still needs to sell 50% more than it has to equal Wii sales.

Second, Reggie is right about Wii Sports. He's actually spot on about Wii Sports. Except, and this kinda sorta a big except -

Wii - $249 w/ the Wii Sports game
PS3 - $599 w/ no game

If the Wii was $549 w/ a game ($50 less like the WiiU is $50 less than PS4) no way no how does the Wii crush the PS3 like it did. If Reggie isn't paying attention that his top competitor is so close in price he should be fired. Not fired for not doing anything, but he needs to be aware.

Lastly - I'm not sure DKC:TF and WWHD are system sellers, Zelda b/c it is a 10 yr. old port, but when does Super Mario 3D World actually release? I read Dec. Being told Dec. from the people who told me "launch window" for a lot of WiiU games that still aren't out yet doesn't fill me with confidence. Dec. 29th is a Sunday and Nintendo always likes to release it's games on Sunday. That might not help much this holiday shopping season. I wouldn't be surprised to see this in Jan., Feb. or March. Nintendo themselves have admitted on mutliple occasions to their HD game delays, why should this one be any different?

I'm not condemning the WiiU itself, but some of Regige's arguments seem a bit weak.

GamerJunkie

GamerJunkie said:

@Yorumi You do realize many people have been playing FFXI on PS2 for 10 years now? Japan will play FFXIV mostly on console as well(about 75% of them).

The new game like the old one has built in short chat and all kinds of things to make it very playable and feel at home on a controller.

I still prefer PC, but like I said I will have both versions and I feel that more people will play on console overall. FFXIV is going to be a huge hit for PS4

banacheck

banacheck said:

Yorumi

Completely wrong if i didn't like the Wii U i wouldn't own one, and console's are not that powerful as you should know, shouldn't you? towards some PC's. In case you didn't know various ps3 models the components to make the hardware becomes cheaper, so you can add bigger HDD to your consoles. As i said before you don't need a PC for good graphics, 90's has long gone.

I think we all know the Vita memory is over priced, the same reason most people will wait for a price drop on the Wii U. It's only worth what you think it is, otherwise you'll not buy it.

Dreamcaster-X said:

@SCAR392 Vita is NOT a key selling point for PS4. It will be a nice accessory for their cloud gaming & cross play but in NO WAY is it a key selling point. It could be in a year or so but right now the PS4 is standing on it's own.

Dreamcaster-X said:

@Yorumi I agree with that assessment but where the Wii U is faltering is in it's week to week sales. PS3 & 360 were selling 75-80 thousand a week 6 months after launch while Wii U is doing about 10-15 thousand. That's what has everyone concerned. They came out of the gates with a record breaking launch & then it just stalled and went into a nose dive.
A price drop with their upcoming library will help immensely. It did wonders for the 3DS.

IxnayontheCK

IxnayontheCK said:

@Dreamcaster-X some of them are legit but some are just the same old poopiedoodoocaca. I'll sum it up...
Nintendo hardcores: wii u is powerful & awesome & do no wrong
Reasonable Nintendo fans(also multi console owners): love wii u but needs games 3rd party support n could have done for a bit more power
PS4 Fans: ps4 + vita = TL4E
XBone Fans:....crickets...
PC people: we're better we've had power for years all systems are weak blah blah blah

Yorumi

Yorumi said:

@Zombie_Barioth and there's no need to actually buy a hard drive for the wiiU. If you only download VC games for example 32 GBs is more than enough space. So what people are saying is it's better for nintendo to force everyone to pay for storage space whether they need it or not.This never ceases to amaze me, people are mad that nintendo gave them the option to not pay for something they don't need.

@GamerJunkie I know all of that, but first of all when playing on a console you don't have to use a controller, so the question becomes how many people are. No matter what in ff14 you are at a disadvantage if you're using a controller. Whether that bothers someone is up to them, but it's just worth pointing out.

@Dreamcaster-X I'm speaking more in a general sense and not directly to you, just responding to your last comment. I think the main thing is the sheer volume of negativity surrounding nintendo. Things get blow out of proportion with nintendo, and the popularity of their system doesn't affect my enjoyment of it. They obviously need enough success to stay in business but beyond that it doesn't matter much.

Beyond that I know this is specifically a nintendo site, and I don't want to get into some stupid finger pointing contest. However you have sony who's finances are absolute garbage, with a handheld that truly collapsing. And then we have ms who's just did a system reveal that actually boosted the sales of it's competition. And then you have nintendo who just came off a console that smashed the competition into the ground, and back to back handhelds making record sales.

but the way the negativity goes you'd think nintendo has come off a history of failed consoles and is on the verge of bankruptcy while sony and ms and making money hand over fist and banks can't wait to loan them money.

billychaos

billychaos said:

I'm still not sure why there are so many people here that clearly dislike Nintendo and prefer Sony/MS. You'd never see me posting on sites for products I don't care about.

MeddlingIdiotStaff

MeddlingIdiot said:

@theadrock13 That's true but Wii U sales will pick up in the next six months and with steady releases such as MK8 and Smash Bros throughout next year, I honestly think third party support will pick up too. Developers would silly to put all their eggs into the PS4 and XB One whilst waiting for the install base to take off, especially as the latter is pretty much out of the running at this point. Even if the Wii U only comes second in this generation's sales, it's still going to be a good investment for those developers who back it next year.

@Dreamcaster-X
Actually, it is. Sony is relying on a seperate $250 purchase to compete with the Wii U GamePad via remote play on the Vita.
According to you're reply, cross play and cloud in general aren't important. That seems like the complete opposite that I was hearing a while back from PS fans. Not from you specifically, but PS fans in general about how Nintendo has such a crappy connectivity between their handhelds and consoles, not to mention internet which is now a paid service.
Hearing that those features doesn't matter gives more argument as to why owning a Vita isn't relevant, but that's not what Sony thinks.
Alot of the arguments Sony fans have used for years to determine PS consoles the best are now irrelevant based on Sony's decisions.

Dreamcaster-X said:

@Yorumi Same here. I don't let the negativity about Nintendo affect my enjoyment of their consoles. I think the Wii U has had the best launch since Dreamcast. I've had the best times with this system and have had plenty to play but Nintendo needs to shake things up just a bit.

russellohh

russellohh said:

Pfft clearly the Wii U is going to lose. Turns on PS3, finds it bricked by firmware update. Oh I mean, the XboxOne... turns on XboxOne dev kit, puts in disk from the other dev kit, game won't work without paying $50.........oh crap.
Goes back to playing NintendoLand, which actually effing works

theblackdragonAdmin

theblackdragon said:

hey guys, can we please knock it off with the 'zomg you said something negative ur a troll!!1' crap? it's tiresome and untrue. we don't require that everyone here love Nintendo and defend their every move to the death, we just ask that everyone be civil toward one another — up to and including not insulting each other by leveling accusations of trolling. thanks in advance! :3

Dreamcaster-X said:

@SCAR392 Sony barely even talked about the PS4/Vita connectivity. They mentioned it a bit but then that was it. I'm sure more details will follow but in no way is it being perceived as a Wii U alternate. They didn't even demonstrate it once at E3 except to say it's coming next year. I think Sony has a longer road plan for the Vita than what was initially thought and I think the PS3 connectivity was scrapped because the PS3 just didn't handle it well. As for them charging for online, I wasn't surprised. It doesn't affect me because I've always been a Plus subscriber because I wanted early access to demos, betas, etc plus they give you AAA games all the time & yeah I know you don't own them but it's still an incredible value and saves me money in the long run.

Dreamcaster-X said:

@russellohh Now, now....I've had more hardware freezes on my Wii U than any other Nintendo console I have purchased & I've had them all. They aren't immune to technical difficulties. It has gotten much better since the last update but the first few months I was getting them about once a week.

russellohh

russellohh said:

@Dreamcaster-X More freezes on the Wii U than on any other Nintendo platform, eh? So.... 3? Though I do have that annoying "cannot connect to tablet controller" message thingy, a bit too often, even when the tablet is how I turned on the console in the first place...

Yorumi

Yorumi said:

@Dreamcaster-X the problem is nintendo isn't really reading this, and there's honestly already enough negativity for nintendo to last a lifetime. I think that might be why miiverse is so popular, it's probably the one single place on the entire internet you can go to not be deluged with nintendo negativity. There's some there but you just walk away feeling so much better than uplifted rather than the rest of the internet, including a nintendo fan site, where half the time you just end up feeling like you've had your soul drained out by over the top and disproportionate negativity.

Dreamcaster-X said:

@russellohh Yeah before the Spring update I was getting them at least once a week & it did't seem to matter which game either, it even happened on Super Mario U & Nintendoland. I've only had it happen twice since then so yeah big improvement. I'm not alone. I see it on Miiverse all the time but as I said it has gotten much better since the update.

Dreamcaster-X said:

@Yorumi They may not be reading this but then again they might. I'm sure they have marketing people who check these boards & articles, then again maybe they don't. LOL! Nintendo likes to do their own thing, always have.
I don't think this thread has been negative at all. I'm on Mii-verse almost every day & I have had similar discussions on there with fans as well.

@Dreamcaster-X
Just because you subscribe to PS+ doesn't mean everyone else does, and PS Vita can't even stand on it's own.
You don't know how much I hear that PS Vita is such a better console, but yet it falls flat games wise, and won't be able to draw in 3DS fans in the 1st place. Believe it or not, people want 3D and games.
This is alot more than PS4 vs. Wii U. This is Sony just making bad business decisions like always. PS Vita is sinking and PS4 has required development time involving Vita connectivity(which will be affected by Vita not doing well).
It's pretty clear that Sony doesn't know WTF they're doing, as far as video games go anyway.

Dreamcaster-X said:

I didn't say everyone subscribed to it. I'm saying for me it's a great value. I could care less if others don't subscribe, it doesn't affect me in one way.
I agree the Vita is also struggling, never said it wasn't. The 3DS is killing it right now and probably will for years to come. The Vita/PS4 mandatory requirements are actually quite genious for Sony. It doesn't require that much more development and it adds cool features to both systems. Why would that be a negative? It's a win-win for consumers who own both consoles.
I can't agree with your last statement as Sony not knowing what they're doing with video games. That comes across as extreme fanboyism. They have an amazing set of first party studios producing excellent award winning titles and have come from behind to surpass Xbox 360 sales worldwide after a year head start and a BIG price gap. Their other divisions might be struggling but the Playstation brand is doing just fine.

xSATANACHISTx

xSATANACHISTx said:

Wii Sports was not a good game. Nintendo Land offer much more fun when you play with other people.

@Dreamcaster-X
It doesn't come across as being fanboyish. I just genuinely don't like the PS games as much. It would be the same reason someone doesn't like Zelda, Pokemon, etc. in favor of a PS IP.
As for the 'win-win' for owners of both consoles. That's exactly it. FOR OWNERS OF BOTH. The Wii U GamePad can do what a Vita does for PS4, for Wii U. You don't need to pay $250 more for a feature that comes standard for the Wii U. The purchase of a 3DS has no effect on the Wii U, and costs less to boot.

SCAR392 said:

Also, yes, Sony's gaming division is probably the most lackluster of them all. Sony's good at TVs and Walkman, not video games.
Just because they would have to invest more into other products, doesn't mean it wouldn't pay off in the long run.

Dreamcaster-X said:

But Sony isn't requiring you to own both a Vita & PS4. You do realize that with Sony's Gaikai cloud technology you will be able to play Playstation games on a Vita anywhere with a wi-fi connection??? It's not going to just be tethered to your console inside your home or within 300 feet of it. That's a VERY cool feature if you own both systems and something Wii U can't do.

Captain_Balko

Captain_Balko said:

@LordsOfSkulls I usually never use this expression, but I have to now: LOL!
"Mario - Little Big Planet
Zelda - DarkSiders/Folklore/ all the JRPGs on PS3
Smash Bros - Playstation All Star
Mario Kart - Little Big Planet Kart"

Lets start with Mario. Completely different from LBP. That's like saying every platformers is the same, which is incredibly fallacious, but lets just, ignore that, yes? There are currently only a few (2 Console, and 2 portable, but I could be mistaken) LBP games out. There are TONS of Mario games. Plus Mario has 3D platformers as well, unlike LBP. Completely invalid point.
So, Zelda and Darksiders are similar, fine. But Darksiders II is on Wii U. So it's no exclusive. Furthermore, it's a great series, sure, but it's certainly no Zelda game. And Zelda is NOT a JRPG. I'm not sure where you're getting your facts from, but last I checked Zelda is an Action-Adventure game that basically defined its own genre. If I want to play a JRPG, I'll stick with Dragon Quest (which is a series that is generally only released on Nintendo consoles, as of late). But Zelda isn't a JRPG.
And then you compare Smash Bros to a ripoff of it that Sony made called PS Allstars. I'm sure it's a good game, but it's also been called "A FAILURE" by Sony, and the sequel was cancelled. So you will be stuck with one lousy PS3 clone of Smash Bros while we get a new Smash Bros every generation (two this generation).
And with Mario Kart, you've got another weak clone to deal with in the form of LBP Kart. Last I checked, Mario games are released for each Nintendo system. How many LBP Karts do you have? One? Okay, I hope you have fun with your single mediocre Kart racing experience that doesn't hold a candle to the strategy of Mario Kart. Now I'm going to play MK7 while waiting for 8. Good day.

Also, I don't know WHAT you're talking about with Pikmin. It's Nintendo's take on the RTS genre. It cannot be compared with Portal, that's for sure. And if I want to play Portal, I don't need a PS3, I've got my PC for that.

Dreamcaster-X said:

@SCAR392 Do you even read financial reports on the companies? Sony's TV division has been the anchor dragging the company down, not their Playstation division. Sony has significantly restructured their entire company especially their TV & Cellular divisions within the last 2 years to compete. Playstation is one part of the company that has been performing well.

@Dreamcaster-X
I'm done. My point is that it's a feature that they can't push without a $250 investment, that not everyone will have.
Nintendo said they would adapt cloud gaming if they see it become more viable in their success. I agree that Nintendo should hold off on cloud, because it's pretty pointless for what a standard SD card can do without using the internet.

Captain_Balko

Captain_Balko said:

@Andrewroxsox It's your loss. The system would be a buy for me just for Smash Brothers. You simply cannot get that experience anywhere else. (Don't say PS Allstars - it was deemed a failure and the sequel was cancelled, if you remember)

@Dreamcaster-X
Well, I guess Sony is just doing horrible overall then. Believe it or not, PS contributes to Sony's woes as well.
Sony's gonna have to do something besides PS to keep themselves from doing any worse, because it's obvious PS isn't helping them as a company as far as finances go.

Akira_1975

Akira_1975 said:

If anything a less powered system forces the developer to focus on substance over style. And wow are the budgets for some of these games getting WAY out of hand. 1 game should never mean make or break for a developer. You really are seeing the most innovation coming out of the smaller indie developers.

Akira_1975

Akira_1975 said:

At least with my Wii U I know that I OWN my game library. I know that it will work in 10, 20, 30 years time. I'm not completely sold on this all digital revolution. The XBox one pretty much sums up everything I hate. I'm staying far, far away from that abomination.

ILikeRead

ILikeRead said:

@GN004Nadleeh by the time holidays come a couple things are gonna probably happen that you wont see with ps4. price will drop even though they say it wont. a game already comes with wiiu and i bet they'll have a choice between nintendoland or mario bros. and saving that $50 you have the option to buy another game or a pro controller if a new bundle doesnt already come with it. trust me, i want a ps4 also, but already have wiiu and gonna spend alot of time on it. i'll wait until next year when they drop the price to $350 on ps4.

@Dreamcaster-X
If it's not a key feature, why have it at all? It's costing Sony to have that 'bonus', with no guarantee of compensation.
PS Vita sinking helps relate the same sort of doom for PS4, because they are still connected in brand, and in revenue.

Dreamcaster-X said:

@SCAR392 So with Wii U sinking does that mean the 3DS is sinking too since according to your logic they're connected in brand? You're reasoning makes no sense. Do you even own any other console besides Nintendo?

Dreamcaster-X said:

@Akira_1975 Yeah, their DRM policies are pretty scary. The sad part is that the fanboys are buying it up without a care in the world to the future of their rights.

@Dreamcaster-X
The Wii U isn't even sinking. The Wii U just needs time, which it has.
Vita hasn't picked up despite having a similar timeframe to the 3DS, and Wii U is still doing better.
I have a PS3, and it's a great bluray/media player.

MEGAMAN_D

MEGAMAN_D said:

I dont think I'll be able to afford a PS4 at launch anyway, what with xmas round the corner and wii u games that I want the only people getting my money this year is nintendo

LordsOfSkulls

LordsOfSkulls said:

@Captain_Balko

;p i was just trying to think similar things Sony offers. Of course they not Exact copies and some are not as good Nintendo counter part . in LBP >.> some consider it better. but that just opinion of people.

Darksiders 1 not on Wii U or Wii. >.> and by JRPGs that a Action - Adventure is JRPGs not Turned based but Action-Adventure RPGs >.> which what Zelda is and their plenty... and many. Nier/Folklore/Uncharted (if u want to go in Action-Adventure), Devil May Cry, >.> etc etc etc....

Wii = my wish list on Sony is bigger than Wii (and i already own 90% of games i want for Wii) only ones i didnt buy yet it ones that are over priced/had low print like One Piece.

I am just saying if you want similar experience/gameplay their are options.

scrubbyscum999

scrubbyscum999 said:

I think they are bluffing. They will cut the price, they just don't want to tell anyone. Of course, I could be wrong. Either way, it doesn't matter for me.

UnseatingKDawg

UnseatingKDawg said:

Well, at least I know what to ask for for Christmas. That and my wallet will feel a little hurt with the new Mario & Luigi title, and a couple others.

LDXD

LDXD said:

@banacheck you act like pc gaming isn't going to improve past what it is when you say that you don't need a gaming pc for good graphics you actually could have said the same thing 15 years ago
The fact is it will always improve if it doesn't where would that leave Sony and Microsoft ? so I guess this is their last system considering power and graphics aren't getting any better
I hope you're joking are you? I haven't scene anything different about the ps4 graphics wise that I haven't scene before nothing blew my mind and I'm positive that won't change.

JaxxRaxor

JaxxRaxor said:

I still think the Wii U needs a price cut, and I still think it's happen despite what Reggie said. I will say that the Playstation 4 (and possibly the Xbox One now that Microsoft has announced they are removing a lot of the restrictions gamers were complaining about) are likely to be sold out this holiday season, and if that happens then the Wii U could benefit as the only console with good stock. I still think Nintendo needs to have a good marketing campaign this Holiday Season to get families interested in the Wii U. I mean they need to spend a lot on advertising to clear up the confusion a lot of non-core audiences have with the Wii U.

rjejr

rjejr said:

Regarding my earlier post - my apologies to Reggie, I accused him of using imaginary numbers and went w/ NLs numbers. I've since decided Reggies are probably worse b/c his are more up to date even if they are unpublished.

Second - good news, just got back from Gamestop where 4 FOUR demos were playable on the WiiU. Its a start.

3DSAllDay

3DSAllDay said:

They really need to cut the price of the WiiU by about 50 bucks just to stay competitive against Sony.

Rafie

Rafie said:

@SCAR392 Sorry, I know we've had our debates before but I'm not going to let you say that Sony doesn't have any good games man. Nintendo isn't the only creative ones. Be a little more objective and put your dislike for them aside.

timp29

timp29 said:

$400 PS4 should have Ninty soiling their pants (in a bad way - trying hard not to swear TBD!).

And 2.5 million Wii's sold is heaps more than the WiiU when you consider initial supply issues with the Wii.

Nintendo should price aggressively because reducing Sony sales on consoles that already don't return a profit will hurt them A LOT MORE than losing a few dollars per WiiU console.

@Rafie
I've already explained Sony's lack of caring for PS Vita, and how that unsupported attitude will bring down the PS4 just the same.
As for the games, I couldn't care less for Ratchet and Clank, Uncharted, Jak and Dexter, Last of Us, the new Killzone looks like the same ol', I never liked inFamous, PS Battle Royal... I'm serious when I say I don't like PS games. I'm not just saying it to hate on PS.

Vincent294

Vincent294 said:

X & SSB4 are looking great. That will get me to buy a Wii U. I also plan to get an Xbox One, after the new news regarding it.

Rafie

Rafie said:

@SCAR392 Just because you don't care for them doesn't make them bad games. The PS4 will do fine even if they ignore the Vita (which they won't).

@Rafie
That's exactly why I don't care for PS games, though, because they aren't as good as Nintendo's games. That's my opinion, but I stand by it. I'm not gonna get a PS4 or Vita based on exclusives. I will for Nintendo, though.

@timp29
Nintendo isn't afraid of PS4 pricing at all, because Sony cannot continue to sell anything at a loss like they have for the past 7 years. Sony is competing with Nintendo not the other way around.

Does anyone really think PS4 is better for $50? That's including at least $300 during the PS4 life span to buy online.

Rafie

Rafie said:

@SCAR392 So because in YOUR opinion, games that aren't as good as Nintendo's.....are irrelevant?! Okay. I'm not going to argue with your opinion. That would be wrong of me. I just totally disagree about Sony not having good games when they actually do. A couple even won GOTY on occasions. Just saying man. I won't argue with you about though.

LDXD

LDXD said:

In all honestly the only thing that should really matter is what games you like
And as for this I honestly don't think Nintendo is worried they should know what it takes to sell their own system the ps4 is more of a threat to the xbone

ritsuka666

ritsuka666 said:

Reggie Unmoved By The Threat Of $400 PlayStation 4''

He’s right to feel that way. PS4 s launch lineup is not exciting in the slightest.

LDXD

LDXD said:

@Rafie man that's interesting I had a feeling they would back peddle we can thank sony for this news to bad they started with the drm thing tho because I've lost all respect for Microsoft in the industry and no way I could back them knowing what their intentions were to begin with
I'll support ps4 when the right games for it come out

LDXD

LDXD said:

@GiftedGimp lol yup ralfie beat you to it by a few minutes what did Microsoft really expect though? I have no respect for them and still hope it flops but we know it won't

SCAR392 said:

Microsoft fixing the way they handle things has guaranteed a purchase from me in the future, assuming I have the money.

GiftedGimp

GiftedGimp said:

@LDXD @Rafie There was a rumour up untill the public reception MS got regarding the drm policies on Xbone that Siny were set to dothe same. They pulled it at the last minute apparantly. MS have now pulled thier restrictions so it does beg the question... Will either Sony or NS implement the Drm restrctions in couple of years time once they've sold enough units to count potential sales lost as a viable loss?

Rafie

Rafie said:

@GiftedGimp Well you know what they say about rumors....:) Regardless of the fact, this is good for Microsoft. Still sucks that they were going to originally go with this plan and being "forced" to rethink their actions says a lot. Still, good thing they learned before things got dire for them. I will now get a XBO this time next year.

GiftedGimp

GiftedGimp said:

One thing the drn u-turn does do, is put Xbone-Ps4 on a more even battlefield.. I can see a lot of people now switch back t buying Xbone, thus reducing Ps4 sales, meanwhile not eveyone willtrust MS, ad won't want to pay for Kinect and stay Ps4.
The result, Xbone and Ps4 wilk negativley impact each others sale meaning WiiU sales will compare stronger against both systems.

GiftedGimp

GiftedGimp said:

I'm still sticking with Giving it a year to see how everything pans out with WiU, Ps4 and now Xbone.. since they have sorted the drm bs out.

Rafie

Rafie said:

@GiftedGimp You could be right. As I'm reading post here, I'm also looking at my tabs on Kotaku, IGN, Machinima and while there are some that are happy about this. There are some that are still sore about MS pulling this crap to begin with. Up until E3, I always thought that Sony and MS would cancel each other out. Then MS performed hara-kiri and now have bounced back from the dead to be on level footing. Still the 100 dollars cheaper is playing a small roll in preorders still. We'll see. Wii U is like the one guy that let's the 2 fastest racers duke it out before they (Ninty) make their big run. LOL

LDXD

LDXD said:

@GiftedGimp its what they both wanted I think but I wish I knew for sure. I don't care what Microsoft do no way in hell I support them knowing full well they wanted to ? me and my fellow gamers

GiftedGimp

GiftedGimp said:

@LDXD I know what you mean. As you know I got tired of MS on 360, but switching to Ps3 didn't make no difference to my gaming related feeings. WiiU did, I actualy enjoy gaming again, I know its personal thing and everyone has thier feelings to which ever platform.
My issue is 3rd Party titles, Wether it WiiU, PC, Ps4, or Xbone, next year I'll know which platform will offer me the most 3rd party titles I'm interested in but with minimal negatives to suffer to get them.
Even then though WiiU is not being abandoned by me if I get a second system. its got so many unique out-of-the-box unique features... which ive saida billion times already lol, so apolgies.

rjejr

rjejr said:

@SCAR392 - What 4 demos?

Well sorry if I got your hopes up but:

Rayman Legends - I think it's always been there though
NBA 2K something or other - I don't play basketball games so wasn't that interested
Sonic yada yada Transformed - played it to see how it looked, just like the PS3 demo, won't need to buy a WiiU Wheel as it controlled fine w/ the Gamepad motion controls on
NSMBU - which I had already played in Nintendo World awhile back w/ my kids. I would have played it again but I was on my way home from food shopping and remembered I had ice cream and milk in the trunk - Doh!

If they had any newer games I probably would have mentioned them by name, somebody already posted these 4 awhile back. Again, sorry if I got your hopes up.

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

@Yorumi
Your right about one thing, you don't need much space for VC games but then its not as if thats all they have on the e-shop either. If youwant to download retail games, something Nintendo has been pushing quite a bit, you will need a lot more space. If your going to push digital purchases then why not provide enough space to get people started?

I have a feeling form factor played a role here too. Nintendo wanted to make the Wii as small as possible so they probably tried the same with the Wii U. I'm sure Nintendo knows very well that 32GB won't cut it in this day and age.

I'm not saying it should be a deal breaker for anyone just that its a very odd and rather backwards decision to use an amount of storage comparable to mobile devices.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

Nintendo should ignore 3rd parties that don't produce stuff at a similar level of quality to them.

I would rather them be hard to work with it it means only really high quality stuff ends up on the platform.

They should try and get another Dream Team Together. Maybe subsidise some of of them a bit and forget about everyone else. Release the back catalog faster.

Go back to requiring exclusives. (I don't care about anything Sony or MS do my PC is better than either of those consoles already. The multiplatform stuff will be at 1/8th of the price on a steam sale and I probably still won't like it).

Relias

Relias said:

Bottom line.. I play Nintendo Games because I am secure enough I don't have to play Mature games all the time.. to feel mature.. unlike some.cough Cough But I would not worry about it either.. Wii U is going to be the cheapest HD Console on the market come the holiday season.. or there abouts.. in addition.. it will have the games to make it a contender..

Drewroxsox

Drewroxsox said:

@Captain_Balko Smash bros won't be out this year though. I want to see Nintendo do well, trust me, but they don't have a killer must have game that uses the Gamepad in a way that makes it essential to gameplay. Until my previous statement is false or there is a price cut, I will not be excited about getting a Wii U. If I have to miss out on some games then so be it.

Yoshis_VGM

Yoshis_VGM said:

Reggie should've just said, "My body is ready for the holiday season." End of discussion. ;)

Emaan

Emaan said:

Nintendo. Please just don't rely on the games and get your marketing act together with the Wii U. Come on Reggie. The competition is here :O

ToadFan

ToadFan said:

@Yorumi The PC I'm using right now is about average. I'll do the benchmark of a realm reborn to see if my computer can handle the game.

Relias

Relias said:

Hmmm maybe some marketing for the Holidays.. might help...

Wii are ready... Shows the Nintendo makers and crew playing some of the best games with various screen shots...

Are U??

Now U R playing with power...

LOL.. Just a quick idea..

or maybe... Wii would like to play with U... (Like old Wii Commercials.)

takyon98

takyon98 said:

XBOX ONE got rid of its DRM

but its still $500 TROLOLOLOLOLOLOL dB

but nintendo needs to start bringing in 3rd party or else its gonna go down hill fast...

H_Hunter

H_Hunter said:

If Nintendo can't manage to [cut Wii U prices] and get more solid [3rd party] games by the launch time of PS4, they will simply blew their good chance to survive.

As for Xbox One, I doubt there will be any danger from them.

AyatollaofRock

AyatollaofRock said:

I think Nintendo has done enough to give themselves a chance this christmas. A price cut wouldn't go astray.

That said I still think they'll fall in 3rd behind Sony and MS. Sony have a good price point and solid system, MS has the popularity of the Xbox brand, plus even at 500 the kinect has appeal for families.

Sonic_tails1

Sonic_tails1 said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again. They would not announce a price drop months in advance. It hurts the sales leading up to the price cut and they'd lose money. They'll do bundles before a price drop anyways.

dumedum

dumedum said:

@LordsOfSkulls Mario Kart Wii 34.01 million
New Super Mario Bros. Wii 27.61 million
Super Mario Galaxy 11.72 million
Super Smash Bros. Brawl 11.49 million

LittleBigPlanet (3 million)
Others mentioned (failures)

DualWielding

DualWielding said:

Microsoft has not backtracked on mandatory Kinect, maybe the NSA forced them to backtrack on the other issues because they really need those spy cams on every household

DualWielding

DualWielding said:

DualWielding

DualWielding said:

Jokes aside, maybe Nintendo should give up on region locking as well, maybe a firmware update could do it? it doesn't look good for them to be the last console standing with region locking

JimLad

JimLad said:

Nothing will generate more interest in a system than it's launch.
It doesn't matter what Nintendo release this holiday, the shelves are going to be dominated by the PS4/XBone.
They could cut the price and release more games, but I honestly think it's too late to make a difference to sales. The WiiU has a huge identity problem.
The floating buyers don't get why you need a tablet controller, and frankly I'm not sure Nintendo know anymore either.

LDXD

LDXD said:

@MorriganIsHot why? This is what I don't get about people, Microsoft tried to literally **** you and when they realize they couldn't get away with it all of a sudden it supposed to be ok?
Im sorry but once you try and **** me over I'm done for good no forgiving that **** ! And no love loss keep walking with your tail between your legs Microsoft

GiftedGimp

GiftedGimp said:

Having slept on the Microsoft DRM U-turn I can't say I trust MS not to re-introduce the restrictions via a system update at a later date when People have invested a lot of money into buying games for the system.
Rumour was Sony was set to do the drm bs but chose not to after the backlash MS recieved, and I actually believe it because I can't see MS actually wanting to be the one to implement such a system which they knew was going to be controversal at the very least. This leads me to believe that at somepoint Sony will want to implement DRM restriction via a system update.
How i see it is Sony and MS are at a High-noon standoff, waiting to see who will draw first meanwhile Nintendo looking on waiting to see who's going to kill who first so they can swoop in and steal the losers boots.

Araknie

Araknie said:

PS4 and Xbox One they offer only FPS, TPS and Car games. Who doesn't like that will take a Wii U.
People don't realize but if PS4, Xbox One and their poopoo launch games sell really really good gaming is simply doomed.
You can forget creativity from those two forever if that happens.

Silver_August

Silver_August said:

Peiople seem to forget that for 35o dollars you got a free game that retailed normally for (most) 60 in most regions. Technically its still 300, just you're also buying a game.

Now Admitingly, even if it has enough content to be considered an actual GAME (unlike the Tech Demo that is Wii Sports) Wii Sport's reggie is right, it perfectly captured what were supposed to get with it and created a phenomenon.

It also comes with an extra sensor bar, now sure...if you have a wii you'd already own one..but if you're like me and you had to replace yours at some point, you'd know it costs about 10 bucks, So that's about 20 dollars bonus for a 350 dollar investment,

In the end though, that 400 or 500 entry fee isn't where the money you give to sony ends, if you want multiplayer, it'll cost you (from sony atleast) 15 dollars (i think?) every 3 months, benefits are there but the the price tag ins too, Nintnedo will not have this problem, and hey, Wind Waker this christmas, as a guy who was too snooby to play the original, I can;t wait.

DarkNinja9

DarkNinja9 said:

i hate how we brought up the mario game -.- yes that sells but ugh couldnt he mention bayonetta2 or something else jeez

Blue-Thunder

Blue-Thunder said:

"The Nintendo boss also explained that the Wii and Wii U aren't actually that far apart in terms of sales, if you compare the two at the same point in their lifespans" Sorry for having to quote Reg but that is BS. When the Wii was released it flew of the shelves and it was difficult to get one for over a year they were only in the shops and they were gone in 5 minutes and that was the case for a long time. Nintendo couldn't make them fast enough so enough of the bull Reg.
@Silver_August Nintendo Land is on amazon for £20 now and the Wii U premium bundle doesn't come with an extra sensor bar it comes with one sensor bar and don't forget to buy a Wii U pro controller and a hard drive and a Wiimote plus and Nunchuk and while your at it get a classic controller.
That's not cheap, not everyone has a Wii.

Captain_Balko

Captain_Balko said:

@Andrewroxsox That's fair. Although maybe if you were a big Pikmin fan like me you'd get it just for Pikmin 3 (I know I would have if I didn't already have a Wii U). And suppose there is no price drop until Smash Bros is released. Will you get one anyways then?

Silver_August

Silver_August said:

@BestBuck123 I don't count Amazon as the gold standard for retail prices because its prices there will jump all over the place, its effectively ebay and rememebr I said MOST regions, not universally. and the north american version of the Wii U comes with a sensor bar, atleast mine did, lol. Unless you thought I meant 2 bars then OF COURSE NOT that'd just be dumb.

As for the Controller Pro, Don't need it, I can live with the tablet which has the exact same button layout, just a screen in the middle.

32 gb is more space then I'll probably ever need for the thing and if I need more I'll just pop in a USB since those work too.

Not everyone has a wii, true, but being one of the great selling consoles of all time suggests that majority of wiii u purchasers do. Either way that same logic can be applied to Sony, where you're gonna need to replace your controllers, buy the Move, buy a vita, etc etc. It's called an investment. You only buy these things if you need or want them, no one's making you get these accessories unless you feel its worth it or necessary for a certain experience.

Blue-Thunder

Blue-Thunder said:

@Silver_August
I didn't think it came with 2 sensor bars but I was pulling you up on what you said and I quote"It also comes with an extra sensor bar"
It comes with one sensor bar not an extra one. I'm not stupid.

SteveW

SteveW said:

That is a bad comparison, the reason the Wii didn't not sell more is that most people could find one in the first year.

I hope the Wii U succeeds but they are in a lot more trouble than they are admitting to.

Silver_August

Silver_August said:

@BestBuck123 by extra, I meant the 1 bar, if you have a wii, you basically have an extra. Cause the basic did not come with the bar nd you'd think that's even more casual then the deluxe, which would more likely be bought by a Nintendo fan.

MorriganIsHot

MorriganIsHot said:

@LDXD I wasn't even gonna buy an xbox one to begin with. Their pathetic loyal fanboys defend M$ policies before and now after. They don't care if their freedom and rights are taking away. I hope the Wii U does well over the holidays and 2014 once the heavy hitters are release. I don't wanna see the xbox one surpass the Wii U sales. But I have a bad feeling that is what's gonna happened because the xbox brand is just way too strong.

FirebrandMustDie

FirebrandMustDie said:

My first comment on here in about 2 years (I think)... just bought a Wii U premium last week. Really enjoying NintendoLand, Mario Bros, ZombiU and Sonic Racing.

I bought it because of the line up in the coming months, Pikmin 3, Rayman Legends, The Wonderful 101.

I really hope Christmas is a good time for the Wii U, come on Nintendo you've got to pull out all the stops now!

bassoongoon

bassoongoon said:

I do not think the price tag of the PS4 should be too worrying for Nintendo, but a price cut would not hurt either!

GearsOfWarU

GearsOfWarU said:

I love my Nintendo Wii U !!!! watch the language. your post was vile and not fit for a family-friendly site, which is what NL is. rein it in. -k8smum What's there selling point now Microsoft stop being a bunch of DingBats !!!! Let's Go Nintendo & Wii U ;-)

soundcircus

soundcircus said:

You should be worried Reggie my man. Your machine is very over priced for what it is, and the bigger picture is that not all gamers are twelve years old. The dudes down at Nintendo clearly do not have a clue how to function in the modern era, and are still milling about likes it's 1992 or something.

(The following rant doesn't wholly reflect the main story, but I just need to get it off my chest!)...

We (Or at least I did) want a modern gaming console with no silly gimmicks and no stupid party party time controllers... Sure we all love Mario, Zelda and the like. But with so many third parties openly dissing about the stupid Gamepad in the press, things are not looking good. Sure there was a few third party interests in the device at E3, but it's the bad press that gets noticed the most, and even Nintendo don't seem to know what to do with it, despite how many serious faces Reggie pulls on the subject.

I find it laughable when people say ''oh just buy it as your second console''
Not everyone can afford two gaming consoles... That's like near £800 for two consoles, and that's without the games.

Lets face it and put our fanboy flags away, Nintendo have messed up big time. The whole thing has been a complete waste of funds (and the Earths resources) on Nintendo's behalf. The R&D spent on the Gamepad alone could have been better spent on a slightly more powerful console bundled with a pair of 'normal' joypad/controllers, maybe then more third parties would want to produce games for it.
If Nintendo was worried about people getting confused over the Wii branding then maybe they should have ditched the Wii name and gone with a new next gen name instead (No I don't mean next gen as in Star Trek either)

And as for the whole system transfer rubbish, it may be cute but it's actually stupid, and can not always be relied upon for various reasons... We want an account based system... Not our stuff tied to one console - The more people that write and say this to Nintendo the better.

I was waiting to get a Wii U, but the more I read the less I like. And if the price isn't dropped, it shames me to say this but I may skip Nintendo this time round as the PS4 looks awesome.

Drewroxsox

Drewroxsox said:

@Captain_Balko I've never played Pikmin, so that's not a system seller to me (SSB or Mk8 are though). I suppect there to be a price cut,if not, really good christmas bundles (then Nintendo will make me want to buy their console first). I'll eventually buy a Wii U, but at the moment, it isn't number one on my list of gaming related products to buy.

Drewroxsox

Drewroxsox said:

@coalmoore I'm with you on that one. I try to support Nintendo, but they are making it really hard with the half baked Gamepad, virtually no third party support, and the Wii U being overpriced.

smashbrolink

smashbrolink said:

@Andrewroxsox The Wii U is the cheapest of the three consoles, so it isn't overpriced.
The game pad isn't "half-baked". Developers like the ones behind Deus Ex Director's Cut know how to use it right, as do the guys behind Splinter Cell Blacklist.
Other devs, not so much.
Speaking of other devs, third point; no third party support is better than crappy third party support.
Look at how Sniper Elite V2 ended up.
It lacks the multiplayer and has none of the DLC.
It's a half-done port.
Do you really WANT half-done ports as opposed to nothing at all?
Because I know I sure as hell don't.
People have their priorities backwards; they're giving too much credit to the bad third parties, and not enough credit to Nintendo for sticking to what works.
There's a few specific third parties that are doing better than the others, but overall, support is lacking because most of them are trying to take the lazy way out with quick age-old ports, then shying away from further development when their lack-luster efforts don't turn into the sort of profits they think they deserve.

Drewroxsox

Drewroxsox said:

@smashbrolink let me rephrase what I said. When I said that the Wii U is half-baked, I'm talking about the idea behind it. Where is the system selling game that uses the Wii U to its full potential(please don't say nintendoland, as it isn't a system seller)? It's a problem when Nintendo doesn't know what to do with their own console. Using the Gamepad as a map in games like mario is nothing revolutionary, and sets the tone for 3rd parties to follow suit. Hopefully games that make the Gamepad essential to the gameplay are in development. I think the Wii U is overpriced, seeing that it doesn't match the competition under the hood, and asks for a similar price range. I definitely see a price drop by $50 for the Wii U in the near future. As for lack of third party support, Nintendo needs to sell more systems, so that won't be a problem anymore. I'm not completely writing Nintendo off, as they happen to be my favorite gaming company, I just can't support the Wii U at the moment though.

LDXD

LDXD said:

@GiftedGimp I sent you a friend request on the U LivingDeath but since you live over seas not sure how its going to work also don't know how to send a message from NL not sure if its even possible

kyuubikid213

kyuubikid213 said:

Here's how I look at this.

When I spent my hard earned money on the Wii U, I was making a "promise" to Nintendo that I was going to stick by their system through good and bad, get my money's worth out of the thing, and have fun.

I am having a blast with my Wii U. I only have a few games for it, but that doesn't matter because I still have a huge library of Wii games to play on it including the all-start titles like Super Smash Bros., Resident Evil 4, and Xenoblade Chronicles. And sure, there's a bunch of shovelware, but what console doesn't have cruddy games on it? Anyone play Trigger Man on PS2? Worst piece of garbage I've ever played. Or what about Amy? I thought so.

With time comes more games. The same will stand for the other two systems. And I shouldn't worry about what games I will or won't be able to play on my Wii U, which of the systems is more powerful, or even who is going to "win this generation." I should worry about saving up my money so I can have FUN playing the games I get.

With that said, if games come out on Wii U, I'll play them. If they don't, I'll pass on them or get them on the PC (since I have one that can actually run more modern games...). So long as I have fun, does it really matter?

kyuubikid213

kyuubikid213 said:

And besides all that, I already have my Wii U. It's not like looking at these prices matter. I bought my Wii U at $300. I don't have to pay $300 every time I turn the thing on... And it's not like I'll have to buy it again when the PS4 comes out.

Let the system come out at $400. Whoever wants it should get it. Just so long as they have fun and don't act like a complete idiot and try to make it a contest between systems, who cares?

Silverbullet89

Silverbullet89 said:

I'm buying a PS4 at launch, and buying a WiiU once a new Zelda, Metroid, Star Fox, or Smash Brothers comes out. I'm hoping for a good limited time console design and bundle before I buy a WiiU. I honestly believe that once Nintendo's core franchises start releasing the WiiU sales will boom. Until then my 3DS is doing just fine