Feature: Animal Crossing: New Leaf Has Atrocious Fish Puns

Posted by Jon Wahlgren

Nibbling away at good taste

This is the first part of our man Jon's personal Animal Crossing: New Leaf diary, which is part of a Nintendo-organised "Mayor Program". You can read all about how we came to be involved in this article, where we also explain our reasoning for participating. With that out of the way, we hope you enjoy this first despatch from the town of Trash.

Nintendo loves a good pun, and it seems that the company is exploring the frontiers of groaners in Animal Crossing: New Leaf.

I've spent a good deal of time picking fruit, gathering shells and catching fish out of any body of water in the town of Trash that I can find to help angle my way out of my astronomical house loan. (This economy makes no sense.) There's no shortage of aquatic critters, and there's no lack of gut-wrenching puns to make my pupils float to the back of my skull.

As you can see, I also got attacked by bees. Twice. I'm not a smart man.

Anyway, here's a selection of my favourite bad times with words.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

This is nothing new to the series as the first one had these bad puns! It's all part of the charm or whatever! ;)

Marakuto

Marakuto said:

I could've sworen that the Crucian carp pun was in AC:CF...

39 days left until I transfer my soul to this game!

skjia

skjia said:

@MeowGravy haha funny enough I kinda didn't want to read them so I could enjoy it for myself when the game came out. Then I realized that's pretty stupid lol.
"Nintendo loves a good pun" That must be why NintendoLife is so full of puns. :D

Captain_Balko

Captain_Balko said:

I probably would not have bought the game if it didn't include puns. To me, puns are an integral part of the Animal Crossing series. Without them, the game is just no pun.

Donjwolf

Donjwolf said:

These puns are terrible, honestly. Not getting New Leaf though. I loved the original, but wasn't too fond of any of the later ones.

Nekogao

Nekogao said:

Must be hard translating these from the Japanese. Thanks to the ridiculous region protection (in 2013) I had to buy the Japanese version and, though I can follow what's going on, I miss out on so many of the subtleties and in-jokes.

Bragoon

Bragoon said:

I love it. They were good in the previous games, so I'm all about the new ones.

Cevan

Cevan said:

Heh heh. Great to see the puns are back in this installment. I look forward to getting my hands on the game June 9 and experiencing all these glorious puns firsthand.

Lobster

Lobster said:

I have always loved the fish and bug puns! The best part of a new month is seeing what all the news puns are on all the new critters! Sadly the critters that are year-round are terrible, terrible abominations of humor that all need to die, even the ones that bring in tons of Bells. I see them SO OFTEN.

Emaan

Emaan said:

As excited as I am for this game, I think I'll discover these myself :3

3DSLUIGI

3DSLUIGI said:

I'm not really a big fan of the puns in Animal Crossing , nor do I care whether they're in the game or not. To me, these puns are part of what make any Animal Crossing game enjoyable to the gamer.

LordessMeep

LordessMeep said:

It's almost shameful just how ridiculously happy the terrible puns make me. Just another month... I don't think I can make it. D:

HunteROB

HunteROB said:

what made me more excited anything in the trailer was something like "I caught a carp! Carpe diem!" These don't disappoint. Most humour in video games grosses me out, but this is perfect.

Electricmastro

Electricmastro said:

Word puns were never funny to begin with. The only funny thing at all about them is how facepalming they are. But even then, that has gotten tiresome to me as of late.