PDP Confirms the GameCube-Inspired Wired Fight Pad For Wii and Wii U

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Arriving "this Holiday season"

Controller accessories were everywhere in the Wii era, with various companies fighting over a piece of the sizeable, tasty pie of the system's sales. We can expect that trend to continue to some degree with the Wii U, though the uptake has been slower due to its smaller fan-base to date. Fear not, third-party controller fans, there is a product coming out this Holiday season with which you can stuff your festive stocking, clearly designed to tap into the upcoming Super Smash Bros. craze.

We say it's for Wii U, which is only technically true. PDP (Performance Designed Products) has announced the "Wired Fight Pad" 'for Wii U', but in reality it's merely compatible with Nintendo's latest system by virtue of its support for Wii controllers. As the name suggests this is wired, and mimics the Classic Controller / Classic Controller Pro setup by plugging into a Wii Remote — if a game supports the Wii Classic Controller range — as the upcoming Super Smash Bros. surely will — then this will work.

That's not particularly impressive in itself, though more pleasing is confirmation that the design will take inspiration from the original GameCube controller, and courtesy of an official license with Nintendo will have a design featuring characters "such as Mario, Yoshi, and Princess Peach". It'll hit North America this Holiday season at a price of $24.99.

We'll reach out to the company to check if a prototype image is available. In the meantime let us know if this is a controller you're interested in picking up at the end of the year.

Genesaur

Genesaur said:

Not interested, actually. I like the Pro Controller a bunch, so I don't think I'll need this for Smash. Much as I adore the GameCube, I have plenty of GCN games and controllers to scratch that itch. For Smash Bros. on Wii U, I'll stick with the official Pro Controller.

Besides, that hideously deformed controller clearly inspired by SEGA's six-button design doesn't fill me with a whole lot of confidence about this new one being particularly exciting. If I'm going third-party, Nyko's Pro Commander seems to be the only acceptable option.

jordanmarsden

jordanmarsden said:

I'm still holding out for an officially redesigned Pro Controller, although I doubt we'll ever see one.

MuchoMochi

MuchoMochi said:

Hmmm....
1.) Looks nothing like the Gamecube Controller.
2.) My OCD is kicking in hardcore with the lowercase and uppercase letters on the face of the controller.
3.) Why the hell does it have a long, stumpy left handgrip and a short right handgrip?

All in all 4/10 would not bang.

MixMasterMudkip

MixMasterMudkip said:

Wow it looks awful.... I got excited, and thought this was legit from Nintendo and connect to the Wii U through the USB port. Connecting it to the Wiimote means it'll have a one second input delay which makes it useless for Brawl/Project M since you can really use a Gamecube controller. If nothing uses the USB everyone will just use the Pro Controller for SSB4, and as said by others.... where is the 'Gamecube' inspiration...

throningermine8

throningermine8 said:

@Anyone saying this doesn't look like a Gamecube controller: "As you can see in the image above, PDP has previously released controllers — and many other accessories — on the Wii and other systems, in that case mimicking a mini-fight stick setup; with Wii U owners keen to use a GameCube-style controller on their new system, this could be an intriguing option." Note the use of "the image above" and "in that case mimicking a mini-fight stick setup". EDIT: And the caption.

Yes, that controller looks awful and it makes me sceptical of the quality of the Gamecube-inspired one, but it's not the Gamecube-inspired one the article is talking about.

dizzy_boy

dizzy_boy said:

Lol, you guys need to read the caption under the picture. It's a previously released design for the wii. It's also mentioned in the article write up itself that it's not the upcoming controller.

Kiz3000

Kiz3000 said:

That controller was released to help players play fighting games better, like Mortal Combat and Tekken. It actually looks pretty decent for that purpose and I can't wait to see what PDP come up with for a Smash one.

Zyph

Zyph said:

I think you guys did a wrong move by using that picture to be the article image. Even if you read thru the article it's still confusing and most people would still refer to that as the new pad for Wii U.

Nintenjoe64

Nintenjoe64 said:

Am I the only person who never found it difficult to pull off fireballs or hurricane kicks with L or R?

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

@Zyph I was pretty darn clear in two separate instances in the article. I decided not to post an actual GameCube controller image, and a logo for the company would be boring in this case. Just trying to give some context that the company's done Nintendo controllers in the past!

I've emailed the company to ask about a prototype image. If they provide one, it'll go in the article :)

Mahe

Mahe said:

That Wii PDP controller looks pretty good, except for the lack of a D-pad. The D-pad was also one of the Gamecube controller's many weaknesses, so this new one probably won't be good.

outburst

outburst said:

Well I guess the left side is longer/bigger so you could hold it firmly while you "s-mash" the buttons on the right. :D

Prof_Clayton

Prof_Clayton said:

looks at previous remote

Yeah, no. It looks like a deformed Gamecube controller which somehow went even more wrong.
I doubt the new one will be great after seeing this.

Kyloctopus

Kyloctopus said:

I like the controller, being a fighting game fan, it's great to see that the Wii U gets a fightpad. I don't want to pay $50 for an extra advantage.
However, there's one issue about this, and that's that there is a very short amount of Wii U games it can be used on for Wii U
Those being
Street Fighter 2 Games
Tekken Tag Tournament 2 I guess?
Luckily there are much more games for the Wii, including Tatsunoko VS Capcom, Neo Geo games and several more, but even then the fighting scene is nowhere on Wii
....why did they make this again?

Zyph

Zyph said:

@ThomasBW84 Yeah I can see that sorry about how I sounded. It's just that some people goes straight to the comments section and comment because of what they "saw" and not what they "read". It's the reader's own fault.

slash125

slash125 said:

Firstly the picture above bears no relevance to the controller in question.
And secondly , why would they release a gc style controller if gc games weren't coming to the vc.
SUPER MARIO SUNSHINE ANYONE

Zyph

Zyph said:

@slash125 "Wired Fight Pad For Wii and Wii U"
1. It's just a controller previously made by PDP.
2. Because Smash players prefer playing with the GC controller.

AlexOlney

AlexOlney said:

I think I'll stick with the Wii U Pro Controller - that is sexy.
Watch the language please — TBD

Ichiban

Ichiban said:

@Kyloctopus dont forget Injustice!
Ill be interested in this GCN style controller, especially if we do see GCN games on Wii U someday

TreesenHauser

TreesenHauser said:

gets ready to complain, then sees that was the PREVIOUS controller

Ohhhhh. Can't wait to see what this actually looks like. Should be cool.

PrincessEevee9

PrincessEevee9 said:

Well I'm most certain one of my friends will be happy about this. Hopefully we'll get a better picture soon.

Blue-Thunder

Blue-Thunder said:

Interesting. I tend to avoid 3rd party accessories ever since I bought a 3rd party memory card for my N64 and lost all my data.

It'll be worth a look since it has an official license.

JaredJ

JaredJ said:

I will have to keep an eye out for this. I love the Gamecube controller.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

If it has a dpad i will be interested. Much cheaper than the tatsunoko stick.

UltraLaserTen

UltraLaserTen said:

I'm amazed so many people mistook the fight pad for the actual GameCube controller inspired accessory even when the article clearly states the image above isn't it

Excep7ional

Excep7ional said:

@LuckyTJ It's supposed to resemble an arcade machine. These type of controllers are specifically designed for fighting games, so having all buttons up front will be a good benefit since you can get to them quicker. Which helps.

mastermp2

mastermp2 said:

@jordanmarsden
Nintendo really has to redesign the Pro Controller to add a headset port. I personally find unconfortable having to plug my headset to the gamepad

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

Unless the Wii U starts getting new entries on franchises such as Street Fighter or King of Fighters, I just don't see the need. Plus, I hate having to plug the classic controller I already own onto a wiimote, so I'm not super thrilled about this one.

Genesaur

Genesaur said:

@Superiorspider Uh... because I'm not likely to get this controller whenever it comes out, and I wanted to express as much? Because comments can be negative or dismissive? To declare my thoughts about the article, which is the entire point of comments?

I dunno; why are you commenting?

Superiorspider

Superiorspider said:

@Genesaur Because that image above is not the actual controller. If you read the article, that's the PDP fight controller for the Wii. The Wii U gamecube one has been announced, but there is no actual prototype picture available.

BertoFlyingFox

BertoFlyingFox said:

Hmmm, I'm at least interested in seeing what it looks like. The gamecube-style controller is one of my favorites.

But I would prefer a wireless option that's geared for WiiU, one that I wont have to plug into a wii remote.

Jock_Nerd

Jock_Nerd said:

I've always said that Smash Wii U should come with either:
1. GCN controller with USB connector or
2. Pro Controller

Hope it happens.

Genesaur

Genesaur said:

@Superiorspider Right? And as I said, the SEGA-style controller pictured doesn't fill me with a lot of confidence in the quality of the upcoming one. I almost made the mistake of thinking that was it, at first, but hastily edited my comment to more accurately reflect what's going on.

Captain_Gonru

Captain_Gonru said:

@EarthboundBenjy Thank you. I was having the worst time trying to figure out what controller that looked like. I mostly used the "3D" controller with my Saturn, which looks more like a proto-Dreamcast pad.

RedYoshi999

RedYoshi999 said:

If people want to use a gamecube controller so badly, why don't they just buy an adapter to plug their actual gamecube controllers into a wii remote? Yes it will function like a classic controller, but it sounds like this one will too. The Wii U pro controller is still better though.

absuplendous

absuplendous said:

While the article and captions themselves make it clear that the accompanying picture is not the controller being discussed in the article, the teaser on the front page in no way makes this clear. I chose to read the article based on the picture, assuming it was the controller being discussed. While I understand the logic behind this picture accompanying this article, I can see why people find this article so confusing. Since there's no picture of the new PDP pad yet, I'd sooner put a picture of a GameCube controller. A PDP logo might be boring, but I'd take boring over misleading.

I appreciate--and yet am a little surprised by--the fact that the GameCube controller seems to be the most beloved Nintendo controller. The GC controller is certainly comfortable, but I never really liked the button layout or the D-Pad. I wish the SNES controller got as much recognition (outside Japan).

russellohh

russellohh said:

@ThomasBW84 The PDP Versus pad for the Wii must have had a really limited run. Amazon and eBay have no record of it ever being listed on either site, and I've seen ghosts and zombie blood on eBay. I'll buy one right now if I can find it...

DragonbornRito

DragonbornRito said:

@absuplendous It's a matter of stubborn comfort. People became so accustomed to the GCN Controller during Melee, were able to bring their GCN Controller over to Brawl, and now are faced with having to switch controllers. My wife "swears" she can't use anything but her WaveBird, but it looks like she doesn't have much of a choice here.

Me on the other hand, I'm going to force myself to learn the Wii U Pro Controller. I'm already VERY used to the Classic Controller Pro, so I don't think it'll be a huge change. But that Wii U Pro Controller tho...

absuplendous

absuplendous said:

@DragonbornRito I see what you're saying. I enjoy the Wii U Pro Controller as well, but when playing certain SNES games with it, my muscle memory betrayed me. I adapted, but my sights are locked on an SFC Classic Controller...

DragonbornRito

DragonbornRito said:

@absuplendous You mean the official Club Nintendo ones? The only one I can find on eBay is $100! O.o

I find the Wii U Pro to be decent at best for Virtual Console. I still own one of the original Classic Controllers, which are still very effective for SNES. And NES? I still prefer sideways Wiimote.

sketchturner

sketchturner said:

Woah... What an eye-opening example of people on the Internet only wanting to gawk at pictures and voice opinions. NL writes great articles. I recommend reading them ;-p

Luna-Harmony

Luna-Harmony said:

No d-pad wtf it looks like the street fighter madcatz pads but with no d-pad. Such a shame as the wii u and wii needs a good fight pad.

DragonbornRito

DragonbornRito said:

I'm apparently going to make this my part time job today.

@Luna-Harmony That is NOT the controller PDP is releasing. That is an older controller they released for the Wii.

Action51

Action51 said:

There's plenty of fighting games on Wii and Wii U.

Tatsunoko Vs Capcom
Guilty Gear XX Accent Core
Samurai Showdown Anthology
King of Fighters Anthology
Smash Bros Brawl
Tekken Tag Tournament
Injustice
Mortal Kombat Armageddon
Castlevania Judgement
Bleach

Disclaimer: Not all of these are GOOD games.

DarkKirby

DarkKirby said:

While nice for traditional fighting game, few people prefer to play Smash on such a controller, most are looking for a shape similar to the GameCube controller, which would be the classic controller.

This controller would nice for fighting games that use more traditional controls, if the Wii U had those.

Also, this in no way solves the dilemma many Smash tournament organizers fear they will have to face in everyone using wireless controls.

Starchaser02

Starchaser02 said:

I hope this is a GC like controller with the layout and button sizes. I would buy this instantly i don't like the pro controllers analog stick placement.

Starchaser02

Starchaser02 said:

justinluey

justinluey said:

The author was pretty clear that the image included with the article isn't the new Gamecube inspired controller, but it was still a poor choice of images, and it should have been obvious that it would lead to confusion.

This is the problem with sites that slavishly adhere to the "blogging 101" rule that every post has to have an image. I understand that this is a business, and typically blog posts with images get more clicks, but that doesn't make it okay to include misleading or irrelevant images.

The author could have (and should) have waited for PDP to supply a mockup, or commissioned a mockup, or used a placeholder graphic that stated the design is pending.

NbaJunkie

NbaJunkie said:

its not the authors fault that people choose to be lazy and not read to get the full story.They adhere to the phrase a picture is worth a thousand words..
anyway..
Im interested in this gamecube style classic pro control.Its what many have asked for. I have a wireless pro control, I put up with it,but am not a big fan. I welcome more options

MuchoMochi

MuchoMochi said:

@FuseBlues
1.) Well regardless that's a bit odd they would picture that controller if it isn't the one being discussed in the article.
2.) If starring at a photo of the controller and it's lower case and upper case buttons caused intrusive thoughts and anxiety, and an itching desire to change every button that it obsessive behavior, and could be considered OCD. I know what OCD is.
3.) That did give me a laugh, cheers!

Hikingguy

Hikingguy said:

I guess the picture is not of the controller in the article, but of another controller. Either way, I want the controller in the picture.
My first thought when I looked at it was an old Sega controller. It looks like a combination of the 6 button Genesis, the standard Sega Saturn and the Saturn 3D Controller that came with game Nights. Those were by far some my favorite controllers of all time. I love the 6 button layout. It allows the thumb to easily roll to the upper and lower rows quickly. Great for street fighter. I will buy this for sure.

millarrp

millarrp said:

I was hoping for a 1st party redesigned Wii U Pro controller to be announced shortly before Smash Bros Wii U release. Since this is a Wii pro controller I am less excited but will reserve judgement until it's released and some reviews are available.

FuseBlues

FuseBlues said:

@MuchoMochi
1) True - but the article does make clear.... ish. Sort of. A bit.
2) Nope. I'm a bit twitchy about this, as my partner has OCD, and it's nothing like people's assumptions (obsessions and compulsions are almost always unrelated). Sounds like OCPD. I'm a proper killjoy about this, and for that I apologise, but OCD is a very distressing condition that people trivialise by perpetuating the misunderstanding that it has anything to do with order or suchlike.
3) The internet is awesome. I was going to post a picture of Jeremy Beadle, but wasn't sure that would translate generations or nationalities.

As a side note, why is there not actual wired GC controller for WiiU (SSB branded if necessary). Sometimes I think Nintendo just don't want money.

Shadowflash

Shadowflash said:

@MuchoMochi (answer to #3) Because in case you want to play 'piano style', where you hold it up by the large handle side and press the buttons like a piano (or a arcade stick). It was actually really comfortable. It's just a shame that the micro-switches didn't last very long...

MuchoMochi

MuchoMochi said:

@FuseBlues I don't believe you are being a killjoy, but I just looked up the definition of OCD, and what I described definitely falls within the parameters of the disease, but there no two cases are the same. I didn't mean to insult you, but I know what I'm talking about, my brother suffers from it as well.

ToneDeath

ToneDeath said:

I'll have to keep an eye on this because there's no better 'A' button for Smash Bros. than what the Gamecube had.

bassoongoon

bassoongoon said:

This seems pretty cool. I have a pro controller, 3 Wiimotes, Wii classic, and the Wii U gamepad, so I might have to pick one of these up for a more traditional Smash feel.

bassoongoon

bassoongoon said:

Hmmmm, I just looked the Versus up on Amazon. Its worth noting that the thing got pretty terrible reviews.

PorllM

PorllM said:

Button placement, shape, design, this has nothing.in common whatsoever with a gamecube controller, where did that comparison even come from? This has however got me drooling over the thought of an official nintendo white wireless pro controller in the shape of a gamecube controller, would be the ideal way to play smash bros

GhotiH

GhotiH said:

@MixMasterMudkip
*One frame input delay. Not one second. BIG difference.

Also, most players are going to do SSB4 on an HDTV, so they probably don't care much 'bout input lag.

GhotiH

GhotiH said:

@DragonbornRito

When it comes to controllers, I'm the exact opposite! Muscle memory betrays me in Brawl if I use a GCN controller, and I start to play as if I was under Melee physics.

I have to say that I hate the Wii U Pro for one reason - The analogue sticks are above the face buttons. I don't care much about the placement of the left stick, since my thump stays on it at all times, but my other thumb hops from the buttons to the stick constantly, and every other controller for every other console ever made with two analogue sticks has had the right stick beneath the buttons. I've tried to play Brawl on Dolphin with a Wii U Pro, and I'm gonna have a hell of a time trying to adjust to reaching UP for the stick!

FJOJR

FJOJR said:

It lacks a C-stick. I often power up my smash attacks but not all the time. Also no rumble.

CaviarMeths

CaviarMeths said:

Back in my day, being OCD meant that you were diagnosed by a professional with a serious mental disorder, not something you looked up in a dictionary and decided applied to you.

IRNBRU115

IRNBRU115 said:

Am i honestly the only one that prefers the WiiMote!?!? Like many, Brawl was my first Smash bros game, but like few, i'm still a nintendo fan and have always used the wiimote, despite trying the gamecube controller i bought to play N64 games. Might try gamepad or pro controller (probs pro controller, don't fancy button mashing with gamepad)

Spakiness

Spakiness said:

Not a huge fan of fighting games, but I assume those who do will appreciate this.

DragonbornRito

DragonbornRito said:

@GhotiH First off, I love that Robbie Rotten avatar... That show was strangely enjoyable for being a kid's show.

And I do have to agree with both points you made. I find it quite difficult to go BACK to a GCN controller after using the CCPro for so long, so believe me, I understand everyone's worries about having to switch controllers.

And I agree, the face buttons are a bit weird, but playing lots of CoD: Blops2 on Wii U has grown me accustomed to the controller very well. The right stick is only for C-Sticking Smash attacks and aerials anyway, so it's not going to affect me nearly as much in Smash Bros.

MASAHIROSAKURI

MASAHIROSAKURI said:

This product will be an utter commercial failure... like the Wii U!
WHY Would I purchase a "wired" controller that only plugs into a wireless remote? WHAT is the point of calling it wireless. HOW hard is it to make a controller that plugs into one of the Wii U's two USB ports? I mean really this is a horrible idea that will fail!

TenEighty

TenEighty said:

That's an odd place for left-right buttons. Just make the Gamecube controller for the Wii and Wii U. It was/is perfect. Much preferred over the Wii remote.

Senario

Senario said:

Let's make a fighting game controller that is wired! You know, for those smash bros fans who love their game cube controller! Ok! Let's have it wired to the Wii more so it is still wireless! Bone headed people. It is so simple. There are two usb ports on the Wii U. TWO. Is it so much to ask to have them just plug into the console? Fightsticks manage to do this just fine, same with regular fight pads.

GamerZack7

GamerZack7 said:

That Wii branding confuses me. Are these controllers officially licensed by Nintendo?

OdnetninAges

OdnetninAges said:

I love how everyone is confused about how "it looks more like a Genesis controller" when it says right below "The previously released PDP Versus Pad for Wii".

Maybe NL shouldn't have used that picture at all. Geez.

Murduskull

Murduskull said:

@MuchoMochi Guys the picture they used is not the actual controller, the picture in this article is ANOTHER controller the company made for the Wii not the Wii U. I think the author thought u guys had enough brain to conclude that but i guess not LOL.

MuchoMochi

MuchoMochi said:

@Murduskull
I thought you had enough brain to look through the conversation and realize I figured that out hours ago before your redundant comment but I guess not. You're an idiot.

Jbob92

Jbob92 said:

You know why this sucks? There is no.. C-STICK! Playing Smash bros without a C-stick is limiting. When someone plays without it they're a weaker player.. like playing Smash bros 1v1 with an unskilled younger sibling who likes to pick Peach because she's a "princess".

Everyone for sure was excited when they heard "Gamecube inspired controller for Wii U". Seeing this thing will make you think, "they had one job..". Yeah, PDP is making this controller, but it has to pass through Nintendo and if this is the end result, they're going to get a lot of hate. Hopefully PDP does research on why smash players love their Gamecube controller. We'll know when winter comes.

By far the best picture I've seen so far. http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=gamecube+wii+u&FORM=HDRSC2#view=detail&id=2211B751B8A4850DE4ABC8DCDCC5D63B63F056E9&selectedIndex=9

Jbob92

Jbob92 said:

I hate when they have a chance to do something Great and poop on it like this. C'mon Nintendo, step in and fix it! If this is the end result, as far as Super Smash Bros is concerned, count me out.

Game-Over

Game-Over said:

Really glad to hear this, with no classic controllers available in the shops now for the original Wii it will be nice to have a controller that is compatible with both consoles.

warvad

warvad said:

SKIP THIS PRODUCT. There are ABSOLUTELY NO online places to buy the PDP Versus Pad for Wii (sources hint at a 2011 release, but it doesn't seem to be a real product). Also, all the reviews for the PDP Versus Pad for Xbox 360 and PS3 are HORRIBLE.

This product will certainly be marred by poor craftsmanship. Please don't waste your money on horrible 3rd party controllers like these.

MuchoMochi

MuchoMochi said:

@Benjwurm Why don't you look at how old my comment is? Do you HONESTLY think that I haven't found out by now?? I commented before I really read the article, quit being a redundant fool and think before you lambast someone and try to make them feel stupid. You just come off as a jerk.

Murduskull

Murduskull said:

@MuchoMochi Not gonna read a whole conversation just to see if ur not dumb. U assumed that was the controller without even reading and now u feel crunchy. Dont take it out on me ;)

Benjwurm

Benjwurm said:

@MuchoMochi

1. Even Forbes, a news website that has to do research on the subject, was confused by the image. It can happen to anyone.

2. I wasn't trying to sound like a jerk, I was grumpy from not being able to sleep so late. I'm sorry if I caused emotional pain.

3. This is something I'd like to point out; you called me a fool, yet you could have read the article before commenting. Although, I do that a lot myself...

Benjwurm

Benjwurm said:

@BMDNERD @MixMasterMudkip @19Robb92 @Prof_Clayton @Chaos_Knight @LuckyTJ @LuckyTJ @Excep7ional @EarthboundBenjy @Captain_Gonru @Candido0411 @Xtremetdifan @Luna-Harmony @Gingadreadman @HawkeyeWii @Mega719 @PorllM @FJOJR @TenEighty @ColdingLight @kereke12 @rushiosan @Jbob92 @Jbob92 @Williaint

Please Understand that the image at the top is not of the "fight pad." That is of the "versus pad" which has already been released for the Wii. It is strange that they used that in the article, but there are no images of the "fight pad."

In case you didn't know: Fight Pad = Gamecube inspired controller.

MuchoMochi

MuchoMochi said:

@Benjwurm no reason to apologize, it would take quite a bit more to get an emotional rise out of me. I called you a fool yes, call it irony, call it whatever you want, but I never said I didn't do anything wrong by not noticing the caption.

DragonbornRito

DragonbornRito said:

@GhotiH

Point taken. While I do use it on occasion for aerials and the rare smash attack, I know people who thrive off of it. (Some people so much that our local meta started calling these people "C-Stickers" with a negative connotation.) I think I can eventually get used to going up for the stick, but in the event that I just simply can't, the Classic Controller is there for me.