Nintendo Download: 15th May (Europe)

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Scram Kitty, Kirby, GBA's Wii U return and more

It's another Monday morning, Europe, but we have the European download update to remind us of what treats await later this week. It's a small batch this week that nevertheless has some potential crackers, with major releases — download-only and retail — across both Wii U and 3DS. Let's get to the details.

Wii U eShop

Scram Kitty and his Buddy on Rails (Dakko Dakko, €9.99 / £8.99) — This Wii U exclusive has suffered a couple of delays, but now arrives with its blend of rail-based shooting action. In a sense it's a strategic bullet hell title, as you manoeuvre through environments to find and rescue trapped cats; you primarily focus on the GamePad screen, while tips and a TV-style presentation are on the TV. It's set to offer some old-school challenge with a twist, and our review will be with you very soon.

Wii U Virtual Console

Mr. Driller 2 (Bandai Namco, €6.99 / £6.29) — A slightly surprising arrival, but a return for the Game Boy Advance range on Wii U after a short rest. This action puzzle franchise has had entries on Game Boy Color, GameCube, DS, DSiWare and WiiWare, while the series itself an offshoot of Dig Dug. We'll drill down into the details for our review.

Wii U Retail Download

Fit Music for Wii U (Oxygenes RL, €29.90 / £24.90)

3DS eShop

Conception II: Children of the Seven Stars — A full retail release in North America, this is a rare case of Atlus publishing a game itself in Europe, making it an eShop-only title in the region. A quirky JRPG with a cheeky premise, we enjoyed our spring fling with this title and gave it a strong recommendation in our Conception II: Children of the Seven Stars review.

3DS Retail Download

Kirby: Triple Deluxe (Nintendo, €39.99 / £34.99) — Available from 16th May. Kirby's first solo adventure on the 3DS lands in Europe, bringing attractive visuals, new power-ups, clever use of autostereoscopic 3D and two sub-games to enjoy. We described this as a "pleasant package" and gave it a recommendation in our Kirby: Triple Deluxe review; those that buy on the eShop receive a free code for Kirby's Dream Land 2.

Those will be your options this week, Europe. Let us know what you're planning to pick up in the poll and comments below.

What will you be downloading first this week? (216 votes)

Scram Kitty and his Buddy on Rails (Wii U eShop)

30%

Mr. Driller 2 (Wii U Virtual Console)

Fit Music for Wii U (Wii U retail download)

Conception II: Children of the Seven Stars (3DS eShop)

Kirby: Triple Deluxe (3DS retail download)

11%

Nothing for me this week

51%

Please login to vote in this poll.

smikey

smikey said:

scram kitty for me will buy mr driller at some point and of course as a collector i'd have to buy fit music at retail where it can sit on a shelf for many years just yearning for those 2 days a year i'm remotely motivated to get fit

DadOfFour1972

DadOfFour1972 said:

Fancy Kirby but will get retail - May wait a while as have backlog though and am addicted to Mario Golf at the moment

outburst

outburst said:

Meh, nothing for me for the 2nd(or 3rd) straight week.

It's the first time I saw only 5 games to vote for. And Nintendo Life is early to post the Nintendo Download article for EU today in a long time.

Mahe

Mahe said:

Wasn't the Wii U port of Swords & Soldiers supposed to be coming this week?

BakaKnight

BakaKnight said:

Conception seemed fun in the demo (despite the horrible dub still making me shiver >.<), but too many titles coming soon that I'm more interested into, sorry Atlus ^_^;

Can't wait to read the review of Scram Kitty, that game teased us for so long that it's impossible to not be curious about it XP

jariw

jariw said:

I'm absolutely getting SCRAM KITTY! The fantastic review it got in ONM, the launch trailer, the new gameplay video, just about everything seems to indicate that this is a really good indie title. Looking forward to the NL review and to actually be able to finally play that game!

b_willers

b_willers said:

If it's as fun as I remember from Eurogamer Expo last year, Scram Kitty will be an instant buy.

Pod

Pod said:

Scram Kitty looks so original and silly that I need to try it out!

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

Mr Driller 2??!!?? I'd rather have an HD localised port of Mr. Driller Drill Land, but any driller is good driller. Scram Kitty is also a must!x

Datasun_7

Datasun_7 said:

Scram kitty :) Indies are on a role at the moment xp I've bought an indie game each week for the last three weeks, looks to continue aswell with swords and soldiers and armillo on the horizon :) wonder where telsgrad has got to?

readyletsgo

readyletsgo said:

Terrible week again, such a small list. Where are the VC games Nintendo!?!

Sick of buying Indie games, either on Wii U 3DS or PS3/Vita and being very disappointed with most of them. I can not be the only one who thinks the Indie market is over flooded now...

MK8 can't come soon enough, and that'll be more of the same as far as I can see from clips.

Bobobiwan

Bobobiwan said:

Am I the only one overexcited about Mr Driller ??! I don't care which version is this one, I want to replay this game for such a long time, by now !! :D I love rhis character, I love M. Driller !!

Monsti

Monsti said:

I'm still very happy with Cave Story (God, the game was worth the wait!) but of course Kirby is a must.

ULTRA-64

ULTRA-64 said:

Nothing for me here but don't care......I'm way to bogged down with games at the moment and I havnt even picked up stick it to the man or child of light yet. No complaints here although it is worrying the vc supply is slowing....AGAIN!

Discipledoctor

Discipledoctor said:

I'm not in EU, but I'm pumped to see that third-party games are now on WII U GBA VC. Battle Network 3 could come any week now...

rjejr

rjejr said:

So am I the only person who's never heard of $25 - $30 game Fit Music for U?

DarkCoolEdge

DarkCoolEdge said:

I played the Conception demo this weekend and it bored me in 5 minutes. Dating sims are not for me.

Mahe

Mahe said:

@C-Olimar Yeah, at that price Swords & Soldiers is absolutely a great purchase even for a second time, supposing the port is good work and plays as well as the WiiWare version.

SahashraLA

SahashraLA said:

Scram Kitty, but not this week. I'm tired of paying full price for 90% of these games, only to have them cut the next week. I will say this though: I bought Zombiu on launch day and never got even $5 of enjoyment out of it. So I can say that any indie game I've played since has been of greater value. Assassin's Creed 3, Ninja Gaiden 3 and Tekken Tag Tournament 2 Wii U Edition were all in the same boat for me. Which is probably why the only games I've been anticipating are indies. And X.
Sorry Watch_Dogs, MK8, Smash, Bayonetta 2. Until X and Zelda, I'll be pretty hard pressed to care about anything besides indies.

Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano said:

Happy we're getting more GBA VC titles but not interested in this particular one. I wish we got Wario Land 4 like NA got last week but I'm sure it'll eventually appear along with Mario Kart Super Circuit soon.

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

No price for conception 2? Other sources say €39.99/£31.99 (an unusual split). Makes me wonder if that was added into the press release (or redacted from it). Fit music is also lacking a description.

@rjejr Me neither. Apparently the download size is 11 gigabytes though which makes me wonder what exactly it contains.

Porky

Porky said:

More votes for an indie title than Kirby, a Nintendo published game? I see why the UK top 40 chart isn't in Nintendo's favor.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

I will be getting Scram Kitty first thing coming home this Thursday. Looking forward to your review.

rjejr

rjejr said:

@Starwolf_UK - "11 gigabytes"

Must be a lot of 5.1 music, I doubt a dancerise game is going to be graphically intensive. WW HD is only 2.6GB.

I'm guessing a 2 hours to DL $30 game nobody has ever heard of isn't going to sell very well. Though I know the EU and UK like those singing games a lot more than the US so maybe its one of those, probably wont even get a NA release.

ledreppe

ledreppe said:

I'll be too busy with Kirby 3DS (retail copy) to play Scram Kitty this week, but maybe eventually I will.

ToxieDogg

ToxieDogg said:

Scram Kitty! Being waiting ages for that. And Kirby (retail) as well.

Still need to download UnEpic and Stick It To The Man when I've got a bit more cash too.

cmk8

cmk8 said:

Nothing, another underwhelming week.
No discounts either, maybe too many people have been hanging on for them?

Varoennauraa

Varoennauraa said:

The Scram Kitty has been in my "hold your breath" -list. Fortunately it comes out at last; I have started to feel weak.

Action51

Action51 said:

For everyone complaining; Have you tried Mr Driller2?

It's really a lot of fun and addictive.

joey302

joey302 said:

Had mr driller on dreamcast! Good game! Bring on more third party wii u vc titles!

Extremist

Extremist said:

Eh, no Warioland 4 - was really hoping for that one. Guess I'll just get Scram Kitty this week then. I'll get Kirby physical - don't want to fill up my SD... :)

pukka-pie

pukka-pie said:

Two great games this week, sadly we're told there are no games on the Wii U and people just blindly believe it; but that's the story of gaming today, just as we were told that the end of Mass Effect 3 was terrible and it became the gospel truth, there's no subjectivity in gaming, everyone thinks the same. People complain that the Wii U has no games, you ask them what they've played and there's a dozen amazing games they've never touched.

It's a shame. Very much like pop music people wait to be told what to think, two very petulant industries.

Luneth

Luneth said:

I saw "Drill" and got excited for a moment as I thought you wrote "Drill Dozer".
They need that game on here soon.

Mahe

Mahe said:

@PvtOttobot Based on Nintendolife's description and the trailer, Scram Kitty looks terrible. Definitely won't be buying it.

In total, that's zero games worth my attention this week.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

Nothing. But I am expecting Mario & Luigi Dream Team Bros (£17) and Ridge Racer 3D (£4) this week in the post.

Game-Over

Game-Over said:

Good to see more indie titles but it is another disappointing week for the Wii U VC. Their is too much of a focus now on games that are to be played on the game pad screen, it's become a real limiting factor on what's being released. It's as though Nintendo is trying to turn the Wii U into a handheld game system wether u like it or not.

FineLerv

FineLerv said:

Oooh! It's one of those weeks again! Two options:
1) Complain that the Wii U has no games
2) Shut up and buy the awesome exclusive Scram Kitty.

Rukiafan

Rukiafan said:

@Mahe Scram Kitty is actually extremely fun and challenging! Much better than I was expecting. I can't say anymore due to the embargo, but just know that it's a highly polished game. ;)

jariw

jariw said:

@unrandomsam Regarding "exclusives", there are games like "Spin the Bottle", "Block Drop U" and "Nano Assault Neo". A game like "Trine 2: Director's Cut" could perhaps also be called exclusive, but that game exists in other shapes on other platform. Personally, I think that the important thing is that the gameplay is adapted in a good way for the Wii U, regardless of if it's an exclusive or a port.

@Rukiafan: I expect much from Scram Kitty. ;-)

dumedum

dumedum said:

@unrandomsam there are plenty of exclusives coming (usually more console exclusives with PC releases) and some that were released in the past, like Chasing Aurora or Spin the Bottle etc.

markybbop

markybbop said:

Im not too sure about scram kitty, I will wait and see a few reviews first. For a console with all these indie titles confirmed. There still isnt many out, or any good ones

Mahe

Mahe said:

@markybbop Mighty Switch Force games are awesome. Also on 2DS/3DS though. Trine 2 Director's Cut should also count as indie, and the Wii U version with Wiimote controls and add-on stages is the best version. Nano Assault Neo is also good and exclusive, as is Spin the Bottle. And then there's Swords & Soldiers next week, which was great on WiiWare.

jariw

jariw said:

@markybbop FWIW, there's a 4-page review of Scram Kitty in the May issue of ONM (it got 90%, which is on the same ONM score level as Pikmin 3, Deus Ex, NFS: Most Wanted, Lego City: Undercover). And regarding good existing indies: have you tried Trine 2 or Stick it to the Man?

ICHIkatakuri

ICHIkatakuri said:

Scram kitty and Mr driller for me, but been waiting for SK for a while now, it looks right up my alley (pun intended)

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@dumedum I am not bothered about console exclusives. Maybe that will change if there are any I like enough. I have already got Stick it to the Man / Chronicles of Mystara / 99 Levels to Hell / Unepic / Toki Tori 2 / Ballpoint Universe / Blood of the Werewolf / Trine 2 (Much better at 60fps) / Gravity Badgers. Scram Kitty I will probably get for the Wii U presuming it stays exclusive at least until I get my Wii U.

(Not bothered paying for a console version of Shovel Knight because I know the quality will be there).

BakaKnight

BakaKnight said:

@PrincessEevee9 Yes, horrible dub (or bad english's voices; maybe I used the word "dub" wrongly? ^^; ).
Anyway the voices in Conception sounded very annoyed, litterally, as the actors were annoyed by such job >o>; Maybe it's just me, but that's the impression I got and it almost killed my interest in the game >.<
"Almost" cause luckily the dungeon and the battles were so fun that they saved the demo and my interest in the game :)

PrincessEevee9

PrincessEevee9 said:

@BakaKnight That's weird. The Voice Actors are some of their better choices recently. Thought honestly Atlus rarely screws the voice work over. Maybe you had a conflict with sound issues? The Voice Actors are amazing.