It's Not Waluigi Time In The New Super Smash Bros. For 3DS And Wii U

Posted by Liam Doolan

He’s an Assist Trophy (again)

The character line-up in the new Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS has been shaping up nicely so far. There are both classic and modern characters such Mario and the recently revealed Diddy Kong, thrown in with the Wii Fit Trainer and Villager from Animal Crossing.

What about the outcasts, though? You know, some of the more wicked characters in the Nintendo universe. Could the latest entry in the Smash series do with a bit more playable — and maybe even purple — attitude?

Well, too bad. Game director Masahiro Sakurai has posted a screenshot and a few words on Miiverse crushing the possibility of the lanky Waluigi being a playable character in the new roster. The post confirmed Waluigi will be returning to the Smash franchise as an Assist Trophy, but nothing more.

Let us know in the comments how you feel about Waluigi reappearing in the form of an Assist Trophy, or if you feel he deserves a bit more love from Nintendo...perhaps like the attention his rival Luigi got last year?

[via miiverse.nintendo.net]

Related Games

ZeroZX_Dev

ZeroZX_Dev said:

Actually I, puts on flame shield, thought Waluigi would be a terrible character, combined with the fact that Mario characters take up alot of character slots anyway. So yeah, completely fine with this.

Fazermint

Fazermint said:

Waluigi would have been a better addition than any currently announced addition. Oh well, I just hope they get the gameplay right this time.

AyeHaley

AyeHaley said:

Sakurai giving life lessons! " Just because you try hard doesn't mean you'll make it into the battle."

Gotta love him.

2Sang

2Sang said:

I think Waluigi should get his own eshop game before being a character in smash. He definitely has potential in representing mario spinoffs as well

boynerdrambling

boynerdrambling said:

There are a lot more deserving characters out there for a spot in brawl then a filler mario kat/sports/party character. If he ever gets his own series like wario or a major presence in a 3D mario, then and only then would he deserve a spot on the roster

edhe

edhe said:

To me, Waluigi could represent a more daring side to Nintendo. They've released games starring other fringe characters before, (Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland, Super Princess Peach &, of course, WarioWare), and they've often been much more interesting than their play it safe 'New Super Mario Bros.', Wii Lifestyle or Mario/Nintendoland Party games.

I suppose it's something, that he's at least appearing in the game as a trophy, and to be honest, I'm not too upset he isn't appearing as a fully fledged character, but Nintendo really need to give him his own game.

I'd also like to see a proper Wario game as well - be it a platform adventure or WarioWare D.I.Y for this generation.

Pit-Stain

Pit-Stain said:

Sakurai finally proved that all those requests from the disrespectful fans in Miiverse are useless and will never help a character become playable.

Goginho

Goginho said:

I think the developer didn't want to make the effort of putting him as a fighter. I mean, you got Mario, Luigi and Wario, so why not complete the circle and add "bad Luigi" too. Oh well. People are always going to complain about the Mario/Wario bros. being skins of each other and too similar and what not ..well, it's not about that imo.. It's about character preference. Some poeple like to use certain characters for various reasons. And besides, they clearly do have their unique traits and abilities. But whatevs :P

It wouldn't be Super Smash Bros. without Mario though, so he's the first character devs need to create.

SpookyMeths

SpookyMeths said:

Doesn't bother me. Waluigi is one of the least interesting characters in the Mario pantheon and Mario is already the single most represented IP in the Smash roster. We need another Mario character in Smash like we need a new New Super Mario Bros. game (not at all).

Waluigi will likely always deservedly be just the filler character in Mario sports games.

BAGBOY

BAGBOY said:

Glad he is coming back as an assist trophy once more, as he was one of the best assists you could summon. I agree with many here that there are much better characters to be added to the roster than him, like Isaac from golden sun for example.

@Goginho Because contrary to wario, waluigi doesn't have his own series and he only appears as a filler character in sports games. Rosalina is a much better choice for a new Mario character because her popularity and inclusion in recent games (especially Super Mario 3D World where she is amazing) make her even better than peach, something waluigi lacks in comparison.

Jazzer94

Jazzer94 said:

Currently Waluigi is a filler character for MP and MK games and SSB is not the sort of game where filler characters get a roster spot which I'm perfectly happy with.

readyletsgo

readyletsgo said:

Ok, bare with me here guys but....

I remember hearing a few years back that the reason Waluigi is not used in main games is because, Nintendo don't technically own his design. When Nintendo made Wario for an early game (I think SSB or MK, really not too sure, back in the 90's) they needed to fill up a roster of names/character, they had an outside company help out with a few designs and that company (cant remember their name now) came up with Waluigi, Nintendo went with him but for some reason the company that came up with him hold the rights to him and his design, hence, we never see him in his own games or anything like Wario.

And to be fair, we all like him and want him in his on games like Wario is. Nintendo know this and if they could he would have his own games (like Wario World on the Gamecube, or the Wario 1,2,3,4 gameboy games etc) and be a playable character in SSB an stuff.

I still believe this, but sure there ya go. I'm sure someone else on here would know more about it.

I would love a 'Waluigi World!' :)

MrGawain

MrGawain said:

Pretty much confirms Wario (like he wasn't already). Looking at the Smash website, you can conclude the roster is a multiple of 9 from the bottom run of characters, so likely to be 36. there are 24 announced so far, so that leaves space for Wario, Yoshi, Ganon, Cpt Falcon, Chase McCain and the Seven main Wonderful 101ers.

Goginho

Goginho said:

@BAGBOY I see a lot of potential in Waluigi having his own little sub-series and I hope someday Nintendo do use him to create something different.
Rosalina being better than him (and even Peach) is subjective. Rosalina is a great choice imo., but why not Waluigi? Just cause he's a filler doesn't mean he shouldn't be fully included into something, since he could have easily had his own stand-alone game(s) by now, which incorporated his character and attributes nicely with some fresh, unique game mechanics. That's Nintendo's job, so I can't do much there, but I see him as an equel to Wario, no matter if Wario's been around longer.
Like I was saying with the circle, it's kinda weird seeing the three others, Mario, his counterpart and Luigi on the same level, but Luigi's counterpart ends up being non-playable. That's my main reasoning behind this. I don't really care though, I just find it a shame ..and kind of odd too. Oh well :P

DreamyViridi

DreamyViridi said:

Meh, he's nothing special anyway... Hell, Daisy has been in more games than him. Both of them need to play a bigger part in a Mario game to get out of the 'Spin-Off fodder' role they are apparently stuck in.

FritzFrapp

FritzFrapp said:

@readyletsgo
He was created by Camelot for Mario Tennis on N64 as a partner for Wario. Pretty sure Nintendo hold the copyright for the character, though. There are unsubstantiated rumours started by GamesRadar that he's disliked as a character by Nintendo's internal teams.

BAGBOY

BAGBOY said:

@Goginho Yeah, I get your points, mainly that luigi is missing his counterpart, and while that's obvious even to me, the problem is that we do not know him very much as to expect him to be as mainstream as any other mario character and be playable like rosalina; I agree with you on the point that is nintendo's own fault that he is an obscure character, but like I said before, the character that deserves the assist trophy to fighter trait like little mac had is Isaac, golden sun for the win!!!!

readyletsgo

readyletsgo said:

@Frapp Mario Tennis! Thats what the game was!!!

Yeah you're prob right, ninty just dont like him. It is a pity, would love a stand alone Waluigi game. Something platformer like where he can reach stuff the rest cant.

RantingThespian

RantingThespian said:

I'd only like WaLuigi as a playable character so I could beat him up over and over and over again.

I'm sorry, but other than the Mario Kart DS track (WaLuigi Pinball) and how he is treated in the Stupid Mario Bros. youtube series, I hate his character. The name, the look, the voice, I hate it. He's an insult to both Luigi and Wario.

Sorry, but it's just how I feel.

Prof_Clayton

Prof_Clayton said:

For everyone complaining about Rosalina over Waluigi, remember the point here is to make profit at the same time. Sakurai realizes that more kids and people will recognize Rosalina over Waluigi, and more people (little kids mainly, but others as well) would buy for the character they recognize.

Dark-Luigi

Dark-Luigi said:

He deserves to be one again. He's basically not really a big highlight in the Mario series so I'm not effected. It kinda would be cool, but @DreamyViridi Agreed, they really need to stop slapping them in spin-offs and make them more noticeable, it not, eh doesn't bug me, would've been good though.

Expa0

Expa0 said:

Still would've preferred him to Wii Fit Trainer, but that goes for basically any character.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

I expected him to be back as an assist trophy, so this is just great for me. Sure, Waluigi would've been an interesting fighter, but he never really had a serious shot at being one as far as I know, and we already have five Mario characters.

He should appear in a Wario game first. Waluigi as we all know is only in the spin-offs, whereas Rosalina is a major character in the Super Mario Galaxy series and a playable character in Super Mario 3D World in addition to being in spin-offs. Daisy was only in one Mario platformer, Super Mario Land, and then she was reduced to being a spin-off character ever since, so she doesn't have that much more significance than Waluigi. Toad is still Peach's B move. So, really, Bowser, Jr is the only other Mario character I can think of that would have the significance to be a fighter, but still, we already have five Mario characters and don't need anymore. Besides, Rosalina was by far the best choice out of all of those characters.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

He wont even appear in a warioware game, a trophy assist in Smash is the most he will get.

And yes, i hate him too.

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

I wonder what a game with Waluigi as the main character would be like. Wario's games are weird because so is Wario, but I guess Waluigi's games would be sinister and dark because so is Waluigi.

Banker-Style

Banker-Style said:

Shame, as it would've been nice to play as him.
Lets just hope a decent character choice will make up his space.

whodatninja

whodatninja said:

Was anybody REALLY clamouring for this guy? Sure, he may be the sexiest Mario character ever, but he's still utterly useless.

odd69

odd69 said:

@2Sang

'thank you ive been saying this for years. Make it a 2D game put it on the eshop, it would sell, but Nintendo is lazy and wouldn't think of things like that, like a new eshop Mario game.

Shotgunryugan

Shotgunryugan said:

@whodatninja "But he still utterly useless"
Same could be said about Peach in most of the main Mario games.

I personally never understood the hate Waluigi gets, I've been playing as him since Mario Party 3 on every spinoff that I've played(except for MK7, because they were lazy & rushed the game, gotta love that Metal Mario, brilliant replacement).

I love the guy, his attitude is completely different from most Mario characters & I really like that contrast. Kinda sad how he keeps getting ignored, yet stuff like Toadette get's the pass for being good(I don't even know if she was in a game prior to Double Dash).

For me this is yet another disappointment, both him & Skull Kid are only assist trophies(Yet Toon Link still got in, even though he is yet another unnecessary clone character).

"Once again, Waluigi’s Assist Trophy joins the collection!! …Which also means he’s not a playable character. Just because you try hard doesn't mean you'll make it into the battle."

Once again beating a dead horse, but hey, Wii Fit Trainer was totally a character that needed to happen, because the big N hardly has any good females.

Yes I'm bitter :P

AlexSora89

AlexSora89 said:

Waluigi not being playable in Smash Bros. isn't a bad thing.
Walugi not being playable in Mario Kart 7, now that was a bad thing!

mystman12

mystman12 said:

Man, I was really disappointed when I found out about this. I mean, if they need more ideas for him, since he's never had his own game, they could have based him off of the Brawl in the Family Waluigi. In fact, I hope they put a few BitF things in this game, like an Eario assist trophy that would sweep people off the stage. That would be awesome, but it's just wishful thinking.

chiefeagle02

chiefeagle02 said:

I imagine the full roster's been planned out at least a year ago (fighters, assist trophies, Pokemon). With the game's due date being sometime later in 2014, I highly doubt there will be any new fighters incorporated at this point without seriously reconsidering how other characters are balanced out (something the director is a huge stickler of). Just let the developers finish the game and too bad if it doesn't hit every fan service expectation of which character you think should or shouldn't be in it (I bet 999 out of 1,000 you will buy the game anyway, regardless of a "perfect" roster lineup).

FilmerNgameR

FilmerNgameR said:

Now Shadow the Hedgehog please. I made like a million posts on Miiverse for Shadow to be in Smash. lol They're drawn btw.

PrincessEevee9

PrincessEevee9 said:

All the silly backlash over a useless character is hilarious. Dude never had a chance because Nintendo doesn't even like him. And why should they he's a world throwaway character who fans overhype.

Shotgunryugan

Shotgunryugan said:

@FilmerNgameR We don't need more SEGA characters. Third party characters should stick to only 1 representation. Smash Bros is a Nintendo franchise, if you want Shadow wait until SEGA/Sonic Team does a "All Stars" type of fighting game.
+Besides Silver & Big, Shadow has been one of the worst Sonic characters.

Lalivero

Lalivero said:

@BAGBOY Isaac definitely is a fit as a NEW character rather than a million more characters from series that already have enough representation(I'm talking about Dixie and others who'd probably be more clone-like anyways); Psynergy could make for an interesting move set. Grand Gaia final smash? :P

@Xtremetdifan How dare you forget Shantae?! She should be near the top, if not first, on that list you have(seeing as Peach is already in), since she is the main character of her own series. D: Also could have a great moveset and would be better for a new female addition.

I'm also with everyone who is up for a Waluigi spin off series. The guy, like someone mentioned above, is unique enough to pull off one in possibly a darker and more sinister way.

@whodatninja He sure is, lmao.

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

Until Waluigi had a game of his own (where he main star), I don't think Sakurai will bother making him playable in a Super Smash Bros. game anytime soon. All the characters who are playable in Smash Bros. must have a starring main game of their own (like Peach and Diddy Kong) or be popular enough to be playable (like Lucario and Zelda) in able to be part of the playable roster. Waluigi's popularity hasn't gone up and had mostly appear in spin-offs so it's right for Sakurai to put him behind as assist trophy again.

paburrows

paburrows said:

You would think that with the year of Luigi still going that his evil twin would get his own game and a spot on Smash Bros.

ShadowFox254

ShadowFox254 said:

No loss. We need more characters from different franchises: Xenoblade, Sin & Punishment, Golden Sun, etc.

SilverArrow

SilverArrow said:

Too bad the only mainstream game Daisy was in was Super Mario Land. She needs to appear in more mainstream games! Waluigi too.

nomeacuerdo

nomeacuerdo said:

everything that needs to be said about Waluigi:

MEH.

He's just a terrible idea. Wario was great in SML2 and specially in SML3, but Waluigi is just a lame extrapolation to be the Luigi counterpart, even the name doesn´t make any sense as Mario / Wario was.

Melkac

Melkac said:

@Fazermint Yeah, right. A character with no personality is better than the most developed character in the Mario universe (Rosalina), Mega Man and a 30 years old character (Lil Mac). Yup, totes.

OdnetninAges

OdnetninAges said:

"Well, too bad."

LOL

"Just because you try hard doesn't mean you'll make it into the battle."

LOL

64supermario

64supermario said:

@FilmerNgameR If any other SEGA character would appear I wouldn't want another Sonic character right away, I wouldn't hate it, but I'd rather have Ristar even though he's never had a game on anything but Genesis. He was on VC that counts right?

ModernMARVEL

ModernMARVEL said:

I do hope Waluigi at least gets his own game one day. Surely, it'd be better than that crazy ol' WarioWare.

TySoN_F

TySoN_F said:

Tbh I hate Waluigi lol. Well maybe not hate but I really see little point to him other than being Wario's Luigi (not even sure of Wario and Waluigi are related). Waluigi doesn't appear in any main Mario related games (I think?). But seeing him as an assist trophy is still fine, if Wario's around at least it keeps the four together!

Austroid

Austroid said:

To say I was disappointed would be an understatement. Waluigi is such a lovable sore loser.

In light of this, Nintendo will announce Year of Waluigi!

FilmerNgameR

FilmerNgameR said:

@Shotgunryugan Nope only Big is the bad character and Sonic team can just fix Silver's gameplay by getting rid of that stupid energy bar thing and making him more faster, would make Silver an awesome character. Besides Shadow would be a unique character in Smash he has a whole bunch of chaos moves that would make him a very strong character in Smash. He deserves to be in Smash or at least be a playable character in the next Sonic.

FilmerNgameR

FilmerNgameR said:

@64supermario The problem is that Ristar wouldn't be too well known maybe it would be better if SEGA makes a new game for Ristar but sadly both choices don't seem too possible. :(

PKNoUsernameHere

PKNoUsernameHere said:

I was really hoping to see him as a playable character...the SSB4 roster barely has any good characters... :L Maybe next time.

shinokami

shinokami said:

I'm ok with this, but if there is one character I want as an assist trophy is Jimmy T. and I hope Wario gets a move set, they were just not fitting for him

midnafanboy

midnafanboy said:

well now we know daisy's fate she is going to be a costume for peach and with waluigi meh i really didit like him he was just there to annoy people or play sports and stuff.

shonenjump86

shonenjump86 said:

I thought it was kind of strange that he was not in Mario Kart 7. I probably would not have used him anyway though. I don't really hate the guy, so I don't care much if he is playable in Smash or not. It would add another villain to the lineup though, which I think Smash needs more of.

Gashole

Gashole said:

It would've been really cool to have this character. It's only natural that in a fighting game, the bad guys can finally beat the living snot out of the spotlight-stealing good guys, and vice versa. That would've given Luigi a reason to fight, other than revenge on Mario.

MorriganIsHot

MorriganIsHot said:

He would've been a lot better than clones like Toon Link which didn't need to come back honestly.

Xtremetdifan

Xtremetdifan said:

@Chriiis your right this mistake is unbelievable... Peach is already in smash Bros! But to your real point I've never played a shantae game so she didn't come to mind :P

MrGawain

MrGawain said:

@argol228

I was being ever so slightly sarcastic, sorry if that didn't come across.

Saying that, the game would be infinitely better with all 7 101er's in it. :)

PrincessEevee9

PrincessEevee9 said:

@FilmerNgameR I'm a little bia since I'm a Shadow fan and any insult to his character is just blasphemous since he's as original any main Sonic character. But yeah I like them all even Big. xD

FilmerNgameR

FilmerNgameR said:

@PrincessEevee9 lol well pretty much Shadow is my 2nd favorite character of the franchise under Sonic although I think Shadow is more unique and powerful than Sonic and deserves to be in Smash and also get his own game again. :)

Luffymcduck

Luffymcduck said:

Nooooooooo! I wanted to play as Waluigi!
Oh well, just announce Falco already and I'm happy.

PrincessEevee9

PrincessEevee9 said:

@FilmerNgameR Heh sorry late reply but yeah everybody makes fun of Shadow and yet they all fail to realize that he can be Sonic in a fight, has beat Sonic in a fight, and if we're bring Archie series into this was a flippin' King before he mad trying to protect everybody. I feel extremely biased towards Blaze the Cat and Rouge the Bat love those gals.

FilmerNgameR

FilmerNgameR said:

@PrincessEevee9 How funny I also like Blaze and Rouge but mostly Blaze, and yes Shadow can beat up Sonic any day ever since the first time they met. btw thanks for the late reply I enjoy chatting about the Sonic franchise. :)

PrincessEevee9

PrincessEevee9 said:

@FilmerNgameR Yeah same here, even though I know next to nothing about the series besides handful of the games my parents bought me. Thoughts on the new Sonic Boom francise? Myself I'm pretty hyped about it.

PrincessEevee9

PrincessEevee9 said:

@FilmerNgameR Haha it took me awhile but I got used to Knuckles design when I look at him in the light of him being a bruiser and having watched that video showing the design process. Also helps I like the VA.

FilmerNgameR

FilmerNgameR said:

@PrincessEevee9 yeah same here I'm also getting used to his design. The VA is okay but I don't like how Amy sounds like Minnie Mouse since Lost World, she didn't sound like that in Generations. O.o

FilmerNgameR

FilmerNgameR said:

@PrincessEevee9 Yeah but she needs a more legit voice though that suits her personality. That Minnie Mouse voice is the complete opposite of her "new" personality. Anyway what's your opinion for that new Sonic movie that was announced this morning, I think only Shadow should be the only dark character not really Sonic he's the fun type not the moody type.