Sonic The Hedgehog Confirmed For Super Smash Bros. On Wii U And 3DS

Posted by Damien McFerran

Sega's mascot makes his much-hyped return

One of the biggest questions surrounding the forthcoming Super Smash Bros. title for Wii U and 3DS was whether or not Sonic the Hedgehog would be included in the rapidly-expanded roster of combatants. He appeared in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, but it wasn't known if he would be returning — until now, that is.

During today's Nintendo Direct broadcast, it was finally confirmed that Sega's famous character will indeed be part of the game's line-up. The game is due out next year.

Is this the news you were waiting for? Let us know by posting a comment.

Related Games

AlexSora89

AlexSora89 said:

We all feared the worst, but Sonic is back in!!!

Now the Pokémon Trainer is the only main of mine still missing.

rjejr

rjejr said:

"One of the biggest questions surrounding the forthcoming Super Smash Bros. title for Wii U and 3DS was whether or not Sonic the Hedgehog would be included..."

Was this really that big of a deal? I mean it's nice to know, but it's not like a date or anything new.

Not that a date would matter, see DKC:TF.

Blast

Blast said:

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!! This raises my hopes that Bayonetta and/or Wonder Red will be announced in this game! :D

Captain_Toad

Captain_Toad said:

I didn't think that blue rodent with sneakers would be coming to smash bros a second time. Smash bros just got a bit more popular.

dumedum

dumedum said:

I guess one from Namco will complete 3rd parties characters. No need for more than 3 , more than enough.

erv

erv said:

Is he still able to compensate for sucking by becoming the occasional super sayan?

LexKitteh

LexKitteh said:

Aw, there goes my hope of Sonic + Tails being the same character.. :P I hope they update his moveset, you can only have so many spindash moves.. Get him breakdancing again like in Sonic battle! :D

LtAldoRaine

LtAldoRaine said:

I hope they change his moveset a bit. i hate how in Brawl half of his attacks involve turning into a ball (not a huge Sonic guy,there's probably an official name for that)

TreesenHauser

TreesenHauser said:

Didn't always used him while playing Brawl, but the news he was returning made me smile. Welcome back, Sonic!

True_Hero

True_Hero said:

@LtAldoRaine - That would be his Spin Jump and Spin Dash. I'll bet his attacks will be spiced up with parkour moves from Lost World.

Anyways, YEEEEESSSSSS! :D

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

I'm happy about this! I was cautiously optimistic that he would return, but kept my expectations in check. Now that he's returned, I hope that they don't make him quite as powerful as he was in Brawl.

Now we can have a battle between Mario, Sonic, and Mega Man!

Bob-t-Gmaestro

Bob-t-Gmaestro said:

I suppose it makes sense, because if Nintendo's gonna add third party fighters, it'd be strange to not include Sonic due to him and Mario being rivals early in both of their careers.

Samurai_Goroh

Samurai_Goroh said:

Good, Sonic's in it. Check. Next, I really want Snake back. And if another 3rd party newcomer is coming still, I want Bomberman. Guess it's time to start talking to Konami, Nintendo.

jpfan1989

jpfan1989 said:

If we miss out on an important veteran because of this.. I am going to be pissed.

VoiceOfReason

VoiceOfReason said:

I'm still holding out for Professor Layton in SSB. They teased it at one point and now I'm obsessed with it happening!

Hunter-D

Hunter-D said:

Yup, a lot of people expected him to make his return. I just thought we'd see him being revealed at or around the Lost World release date.

thesilverbrick

thesilverbrick said:

More importantly, this announcement (plus Toon Link's intro) break the trend of one character revealed every month. Here's hoping for many more and frequent character introductions!

3Daniel

3Daniel said:

Sonic looks like he has a giant moob on his chest. ol i was hoping for a classic sonic interpretation but this is good news! Altho smasg is centered around the games id love too see team rockets jesse and james alongside pokemon trainer to showcase nintendos reach outside games. And give us a pokemon villain.

Turbo857

Turbo857 said:

Ah, another great announcement featuring a character I dominate with. Now all I need is that Lil Mac announcement and Ike in his Radiant Dawn outfit!

DarkKirby

DarkKirby said:

Sonic's moveset looks the same other than a fancy new dodge. Even the speed of his attacks look the same, which is scary because Sakurai said the speed of the game would be increased, which either means he's lying, or Sonic will be even worse than he was in Brawl.

I fear for Smash Bros. Wii U.

This is a video of Sonic in Smash Bros. Wii U for people who have not seen it.

Marr_the_Great

Marr_the_Great said:

Can't say that I'm surprised. Sonic: Lost World is coming out so advertising the character in Super Smash Bros. makes perfect sense.

I would, however, like to know if this means that Archie Comics will get a deal to have Ian Flynn write a Super Smash Bros. mini-series.

That would be awesome.

Ralizah

Ralizah said:

Not surprised, seeing how cozy Sega and Ninty have been getting as of late.

ednice

ednice said:

I wish Shadow was confirmed too...but damn Sakurai is messing up the game

MixMasterMudkip

MixMasterMudkip said:

I expected a Pokémon fighter, but this is nice to know. I didn't care much if he was returning or not though. But please announce Ice Climbers soon. I need them!

MegaManEP3

MegaManEP3 said:

The inner child in me is freaking out at the prospect of having a match between Mario, Link, Sonic and Mega Man. Now the true hero will finally be revealed!!! ^_^

bezerker99

bezerker99 said:

Sonic in Smash Bros is so predictable that it barely constitutes as news. What I want to know is when is 3D Sonic The Hedgehog coming to 3DS eShop in NA????

DanMan82

DanMan82 said:

Awesome! This is great news!! Glad he is back
@DarkKirby The characters have never been balanced. Let's wait till the game comes out and we can interact with it before we say anything. And thanks for the video. :)

@everyone These are just my opinions, please respect them.

thesilverbrick

thesilverbrick said:

@ednice Howso? Why would you overrun a Nintendo mascot fighting game with a bunch of Sega characters? One guest per non-Nintendo series makes sense to me given the theme of Smash Bros.

LeVideoGamer

LeVideoGamer said:

I really hope they change his moveset a little, at least his Down-B.

Still, Mario vs. Sonic vs. Mega Man is gonna be sweet. There's still room for one more third party mascot!

LeVideoGamer

LeVideoGamer said:

@robertman2 Last true game was Nazo no Murasamejo in '86, but he had a cameo in Samurai Warriors 3 and a themed minigame in Nintendo Land, so Nintendo haven't completely forgotten about him. I have hope.

Plus, there were rumours of an East vs. West scenario, where Takamaru would represent the East, and Little Mac for the West.

AVahne

AVahne said:

Ugh, I'd much rather have Snake return. He was a MUCH better addition than Sonic. I know Sonic's coming back because of Nintendo and Sega's partnership for Sonic games, but....meh.

Jaz007

Jaz007 said:

@Koto Agreed, Sonic wasn't a good in Brawl and I doubt that will change in SSB:U, while Snake was a great in Brawl, one of the best in fact. I really hope they have him return.

Nightowljrm

Nightowljrm said:

Considering the recent contract between Nintendo and SEGA, I had been expecting this from the beginning. I'm sure he'll be more refined in this installment considering Sakurai has stated an increased interest in balance.

Aaronzord

Aaronzord said:

We'd better get Seven Rings In Hand on the soundtrack again too!

If not...er...I'll be mildly annoyed.

suburban_sensei

suburban_sensei said:

This is good news. I loved using him in Brawl, so he may be my go-to-guy for the new game. I really hope Mega Man is good, as well.

Squid

Squid said:

Yay! I don't really use Sonic much at all, and so I hope that with his return he'll have a better moveset or at least get tweaked a little... but overall I'm excited because I just like Sonic. ;)

FilmerNgameR

FilmerNgameR said:

This Sonic model looks better than the last smash sonic model. He actually looks more modern than the last one.

rdp223

rdp223 said:

Sonic is def one of my favs and im glad he is back but I didn't really like his moveset and he was kind of slow. But woo hoo! Hopefully Snake can come back..

OdnetninAges

OdnetninAges said:

OMG, YEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!

Sonic, Mario, and Mega Man in the same game! I can now die in peace...
...But not until I play this game.

jmr908

jmr908 said:

FINALLY!!!! Now we are one step closer to getting an official worlds collide game! Now that being said, can we please have Pheonix Wright as a playable character in Smash Bros. 4 nintendo?

RinCartwright

RinCartwright said:

I mean, with the 3 Sonic games announced exclusively for Nintendo consoles, it would seem quite strange not to add him.

Kiokothepirate

Kiokothepirate said:

Why!? Why would they put Sonic back in? As far as I know everyone hated Sonic in Brawl. His moves were clunky and awkward and his final smash was over powered when wielded by a computer and nearly unusable when used by a human player.

JellySplat

JellySplat said:

Uugh, I hated Sonic in brawl! I hope they at LEAST remove his STUPID B move! That move was SOOOOOO annoying, people ALWAYS over use that move. (stupid cheap losers)

AntiGuy

AntiGuy said:

I'm so happy right now... I cannot even describe it with words... I have a huge exam tomorrow yet I'm at complete bliss right now... thank you Sakurai, thank you...

Dogpigfish

Dogpigfish said:

@CrabGats I think they need a sonic reboot like they did with Lara Croft. Make him more realistic with feelings and emotions. When Robotnik insults him he should shutter and perhaps tear up as his emotions take over. Nah, nevermind.

Slayer

Slayer said:

YES! (You might guess I'm excited by my profile picture over here. How you doing, Super Sonic?)

Neferupitou

Neferupitou said:

Now we have the trhee platform kings in the same dam game! COME ON! let me listen my loved "FREE FOR ALL" RIGHT NOW!

TrueGamer1985

TrueGamer1985 said:

Sigh.....another character that was already in Brawl. This isn't surprising where's the new characters? I'm tired of all these old characters that was already in the game.

Murduskull

Murduskull said:

@rjejr to answer ur question, yes. It IS that big of a deal, a lot of ppl including myself were pretty worried sonic wouldn't make it since he's third party and we thought his appearance would be a one time thing. This is pretty huge news to me!!!!! Thank god SEGA allowed hint o be included again!!!

rjejr

rjejr said:

@Murduskull - Well I'm happy for everybody, I'm just surprised people were surprised. Yes Sonic is 3rd party, but how many Nintendo exclusives has he been in now? How many Mario vs. Sonic Olympic games have there been? I guess it just seemed like a foregone conclusion to me that Sonic would be in it.

Can you imagine the uproar if he wasn't?