Nicalis Quizzes Fans Over Potential For a Physical Release of the Cave Story 3DS eShop Version

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Europe says hi

Cave Story has been released four times in total, though that number drops to two if you live in PAL regions. We've had versions on WiiWare, DSiWare, a retail Cave Story 3D and most recently an excellent 3DS eShop version. The latter edition is arguably the best, incorporating the original visual style and music with all of the "+" content that PC gamers have enjoyed.

The trouble is that the latest release isn't yet in Europe, despite a tweet from Nicalis back in March stating that the game was approved and awaiting a release date. It's failed to emerge since, though the publisher has now taken to Twitter to gauge interest in a physical release of the eShop version.

Would you be interested in a physical release of this title? If so it may be worth tweeting that interest to Nicalis; for our part we'll seek an update on the European 3DS download version.

[via twitter.com, destructoid.com]

Related Games

DefHalan

DefHalan said:

Does this game still sell well? They have released it so many time I am pretty sure anyone interested has it already

Philip_J_ReedStaff

Philip_J_Reed said:

I definitely agree the 3DS eShop version is the best. I absolutely love it...even if I'm so bad at the bonus stages that I haven't finished a single one.

cfgk24

cfgk24 said:

They've also Facebooked this ( I'm not on Twitter) so I voted YES! there!

Never enough Cave Story goodness!

PokeNas

PokeNas said:

No, I disapprove. They're becoming worse than Capcom in milking a franchise.

Dyl_73

Dyl_73 said:

Nope. They've left it too long. I would have downloaded it if they had released it at roughly the same time as everywhere else. However, the length of the delay is taking the pi55 and a physical copy will probably mean more expensive. I would rather give my money to a games company that shows a little more care to gamers instead of their bank balances.

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

No, but I would appreciate getting it on the eShop here in Europe. Played Cave Story+ on PC a while ago and I loved it immensely. Would definitely rebuy it for the 3DS.

I dont see why they would release it again though, at least in NA. Honestly Nicalis, just move on to a new game already.

Mollutje

Mollutje said:

I don't think a physical release would be suitable. I agree with the others, please just release it digitally already! I know a lot of people see it as milking the franchise, but I would seriously enjoy getting that eShop version!

Palom

Palom said:

I'm in the US and I have enjoyed the eShop and + releases. That said, if a physical release for Europe were to happen, hopefully they at least include the alternate music found in +. I mean you have all that extra cart space to work with, so why not?

Bulbousaur

Bulbousaur said:

I have to say, releasing a physical version of a 3DS eShop game, when Cave Story 3D already exists, is just milking the franchise.

GeminiSaint

GeminiSaint said:

Nah. The 3DS version of Cave Story, which is already there, is the better version anyway.

allav866

allav866 said:

@DrDingus Totally agree with this. I already have the DSiware and the eShop version, but I'd still buy Cave Story 3D if it were released on the eShop.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

I don't dislike Cave Story but I don't think it is as good as La Mulana for example. (Or even VVVVV). It is certainly not in the quite small category of indie titles I would want all versions that exist (Presuming I have the console).

torotoid64

torotoid64 said:

Hey I have a better idea than a rerelease Of any of the previous versions combined I believe its called a Sequel

Morph

Morph said:

Not sure we need a retail version when the 3d was already released, id pick up the + version on the eshop but im not sure that id pick up a retail version, it would depend on price i guess

ShadJV

ShadJV said:

It was a good game, now move on, we have enough versions of this as is. Just make a sequel or something.

ToniK

ToniK said:

Sure, I would die to pay four times the money!

(No, seriously I just want the EU eShop version)

Swiket

Swiket said:

Oh thank God. I almost thought 2013 would come and go without another Nicalis Cave Story release!

MegaBlaziken

MegaBlaziken said:

@DefHalan well, I love this game so much, and I buy and finish it on every single platform it's released on.
I guess much people do the same

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

I've never played Cave Story except for the Wii Ware demo, but I'm gonna download the eshop version soon.

cfgk24

cfgk24 said:

I want a physical copy of the definitive version . . . . (until they bring out another definitive version) . . . ;)

RupeeClock

RupeeClock said:

Ignoring the issue that the game still hasn't got its digital EU release (seriously, what is up with that?), I'd be up for getting a physical edition as long as the price fairly represented the game's digital cost.

DarkLloyd

DarkLloyd said:

never played it but might just might get it physically providing its priced right like 30 or less dollars

DarkCoolEdge

DarkCoolEdge said:

No thanks. I would have bought it if they had released it on Europe's eShop some time ago. Now I'll pass. Good job Nicalis.

Hyperstar96

Hyperstar96 said:

@Master-Nas It's not even a franchise; this is just [i[one game[/i].

But if any game deserves this many re-releases, it's Cave Story. Still waiting on BoI: Rebirth, though...

HandheldGuru97

HandheldGuru97 said:

Already have Cave Story 3D on retail, but...I'd unfortunately double dip...maybe....still Cave Story 3D is my favorite version of Cave Story by far, just wish it had some more features

datamonkey

datamonkey said:

Given up waiting for CS+ on eshop. I would buy it retail if it was the same price as the eshop!

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

If this is about the european release, I'm all for it.
But there's nothing about that, so I gotta say no. US has every version available, now it's time Nicalis brought CS+ to europe, and maybe a WiiU version, but that should absolutely be the end of it.

Gorlokk

Gorlokk said:

Yep. Cave Story is one of my all time favorite games. I'd buy it as many times as it was released. Don't care if a game this good gets "milked". Don't care if I've played it before; I'll play it again. And again, and again.
It never ends.

Oh, and any news on Gero Blaster?

CrazyOtto

CrazyOtto said:

I'm indifferent to the retail release, but they need to release it in Europe and Australia.

Asaki

Asaki said:

I would have if it had been released when the game came out...but I don't want to spend that much extra for a physical copy of a game that I already have in digital.

SwerdMurd

SwerdMurd said:

Nope. A decent game, made equally decent and charged for, in a horrendously long amount of time, and rereleased a billion times. Could not be less interested... If anything, this stream of rereleases has tainted my view on / memories of the game.

LightSamus

LightSamus said:

I'm more interested in getting an update for my Physical ver, even if I had to pay a few dollars for it. I'd rather not buy a whole new physical copy...

tripunktoj

tripunktoj said:

No, its paying again for the same game, and it annoys me that I wasn't given the option since launch as an early adopter (Im looking at you Ducktales Remastered)

WitchSugoi

WitchSugoi said:

I can't even pretend to frown at this practice. I've purchased Sonic 1-3&K so many times for my Gamecube, PS2, PS3, DS and of course, the original platforms. If there's a 3DS physical collection, hell I'd buy that too even though my Classic Collection still works just fine. Only wish they would do the same with CD and Spinball. Hey, if it's a great game and you don't mind it...

lebad

lebad said:

Please give it to us poor European people :'( :'( :'(
If I have the choice I will take the physical release I'm a Fan and a cartbridge will be welcome to my collection with "Cave story 3D".

Please release it quicly I'm waiting and I will not discourage !!!!!!!

Kolzig

Kolzig said:

I hope they will stop being lazy with the European releases and release both the 3DS eShop version in Europe and also Cave Story 3D as eShop download.

Cave Story 3D is especially very rare in Europe already.

It was the same with the Wiiware version, it took almost a year for Nicalis to stop being lazy and release the European version after they released the American version.

Mollutje

Mollutje said:

I honestly get the feeling it will never make it to Europe, which is a shame because I'd really like to play it. Now Nicalis was never fast with their European releases, but this is getting ridiculous.

christian90z

christian90z said:

I won't be buying it because nicalis promised to release it on eshop in europe back in march and still nothing. It's not about entitlement, it's about them saying one thing and then not acknowledge the fact that it's been a year since we have heard anything. And I'm done supporting nintendo because of the dogpoopiecacapile that is eshop. I wanted to give them my money but since they weren't interested i haven't.
Please stop using profanity and discussing things that are against our Community Rules — TBD

Kolzig

Kolzig said:

Nicalis pretty much never releases anything in Europe since they don't care about European customers.

What they should do is release before the end of the year Ikachan and Cave Story eShop version in Europe.

Then push to release the Cave Story 3D version in 3DS eShop in both North America and Europe during Q1 2014.