Please take this into consideration when posting at Nintendo Life - use common sense and don't use profanity, this website is intended for users of all ages. We retain the right to edit or remove any posts we deem to be offensive, abusive or inappropriate.
Whenever you post content on our site you accept these community rules and agree to act in a way that follows the spirit of the community and the spirit of these rules.
The following rules are designed to foster a welcome, friendly and diverse community and, to the majority, are mostly common sense. Our moderators and staff expect you to follow these rules to avoid your posts being censored, edited or in severe cases deleted without prior warning.
- Use of Language
- Do not use profanity; Use of unsavoury language including profanity and swearing is not acceptable, please remember that this website has users of all ages.
- Do not post in foreign languages; All posts should be made in English, non-English posts will most likely be removed.
- General Behaviour
- Do not post - unless you have something useful to say; Only post when you have something meaningful to say or something that will contribute to the discussion. Posts such as "Yes" or "I agree" or "LOL" are un-constructive. Use the "Like" (heart) button to show your agreement with another user.
- Do not post excessive amounts of emoticons.
- Do not post excessive amounts of images; Posts with many images are a strain on mobile users, so please be courteous. Consider linking to the images remotely rather than using the [IMG] tags.
- Do not beg; Begging for anything is not allowed. This includes, but is not limited to; asking users to visit a website; asking users to visit a YouTube channel; asking for a download code; etc.
- Do not "troll" or "bait" other users; Posts that purposefully or systematically go against the grain to trigger a reaction from others are prohibited. You are entitled to an opinion, but purposefully disrupting discussions with unpopular opinions to create arguments is not allowed, we simply suggest you don't get involved in these conversations. Users that are seen to be continuously trolling or baiting will be banned.
- Do not discuss moderation issues in public; If your posts are deleted or edited you can talk to us about by using the contact form. Creating a topic to discuss why another topic was removed will not be tolerated.
- Do not post in full capitals; Or include an obscene amount of full-stops (periods) or exclamation marks, question marks etc.
- Abusive Behaviour
- Do not post offensive remarks towards others; Show respect for all users, remarks about racism, sexism, origin, creed and handicap will NOT be tolerated and will most likely be deleted by staff, and the poster will be warned, suspended or banned.
- Do not harass other users, including moderators, staff and contributors; If you disagree with anything you've read on our site, whether staff or user-submitted, please be constructive in your response. You are allowed to criticise our content, we just ask that you be constructive with your feedback and consider whether it should be discussed publicly or via the contact form.
- Do not "flame" others; Blatantly offensive posts directed at others will not be tolerated. While we do allow members to debate and voice their own opinions, there will be a limit to how far a heated debate can go before it is closed by staff.
- Do not disrespect other opinions; Remember that everyone is entitled to their opinion on a subject. Just because you don't agree, doesn't mean you need to flame them or harass them. Please always remain constructive in your response.
- Unacceptable Content
- Do not post unacceptable images or videos; Users are prohibited from posting pornographic, vulgar or any other distasteful, inappropriate and explicit images/videos. Users should also be responsible for the copyright of any image(s)/video(s) they post.
- Do not link to illegal content; Linking to any illegal download sites, torrents or other resources that allow users to gain access to illegal content such as copyrighted ROMs, games, movies, music, TV shows, software or related activities is strictly prohibited.
- Do not discuss current gen emulators/homebrew; It is permitted to constructively discuss the use of flash carts, emulators and homebrew software when in the context of previous generation(s) hardware. We ask that you do not link to any resources for illegal copyrighted content such as where to download ROMs and we reserve the right to lock, edit or delete any threads or comments we feel stray too far into an illegal or legal grey area.
- Do not post spoilers for upcoming or recently released games; Basically, be respectful of the fact others may not want a brand new game to have major plot points spoiled for them. You can talk around them, but without blatant spoilers.
- User Accounts & Profiles
- Do not use inappropriate avatars; Common sense applies here, any avatars deemed to be inappropriate (eg, pornographic) will be removed without warning.
- Do not use inappropriate or offensive usernames; Usernames that appear to offensive language or words, even when obfuscated (eg, b1tch) may be deemed inappropriate and changed/removed.
- Do not create duplicate, fake or "sock" accounts; Creating alternate accounts or dummy accounts to trick/harass other users will result in all of your accounts being banned. Users who have been banned and create new accounts fall into this category and will also be banned.
- Do not impersonate other users/people; Creating fake accounts that impersonate other users or famous people, developers etc. is not allowed and will be banned when discovered.
- Do not post inappropriate profile covers; Common sense applies here also, any profile covers deemed to be inappropriate (eg, pornographic) will be removed without warning.
- Spam, Advertising and Competitions
- Do not post adverts; Posts simply to promote your own website, YouTube channel, social media account etc. are not allowed. Instead, you are allowed to include a link in your forum signature.
- Do not post competitions; Users are prohibited from creating their own competitions/contests/giveaways and posting them within the forums or articles, if you want to run a competition please do so on your own website.
- Do not post spam; eg. general links to shopping websites without any context of a discussion. Spammers will receive an instant ban and their information (username, email address and IP address) reported to various spammer lists and databases.
- Forum Etiquette
- Do not create duplicate topics; Before you start a topic, perform a search to see if the question or topic you wish to create has been made before. If it has, post in the topic that already exists. Duplicate topics will be closed.
- Do not post vague topic titles; Please make the topic title you are creating descriptive, clearly reflecting the topic you are addressing. Do not make generic titles such as "Question" or "I need help", these topics will probably go un-noticed, whereas a topic with a descriptive title will gain more interest.
These rules are reviewed on an on-going basis and are subject to change. If you have any suggestions on changes to our rules, please contact us and discuss them.
Reporting an Issue
Whilst we do have a few moderators and staff members that will pro-actively apply these rules, we can't be around at all times. Therefore we rely on you to report an issue when you spot a breach of these rules.
Reporting is easy, simply click on the 'report' button (usually next to the post itself) and complete the form. This information will then be sent to our moderation team for review and further action will take place.
Alternatively, you can always use the contact us form. Please note that both methods are private and we will not mention to the offending user who reported them, unless you ask us to do so.
Warnings, Suspensions & Bans
Whenever a user is seen to be breaking our rules our moderators or staff members will decide on a course of action. The severity of the violation, the frequency of violations and user-history will all be contributing factors to our decisions.
We are happy to give benefit of the doubt to the user, assuming they understand their mistake and agree to follow the rules going forward. Ideally, we would not have to ban people, but persistent offenders or severe offenders will receive either temporary or permanent bans.
- Under all circumstances, we reserve the right to delete any topics/posts/comments we deem breaking our rules without prior warning.
- Under normal circumstances, the offending member will be issued a warning and an explanation.
- Under heavier circumstances, the offending member may be temporarily banned, pending a conversation between staff and user.
- Under extreme circumstances, being an extreme violation of rules or disruption, the offending member will be banned permanently from Nintendo Life and Push Square.
All actions are decided by moderators and staff only and are not open to public debate, they remain a private issue between user and staff and therefore should not be discussed by other users.
If you find your account has been banned, you should first contact us and talk to us about it, we're actually quite nice people and given a civil discussion, we might even be happy to re-activate your account knowing that you have learnt your lesson.
All of our staff are real people and they will no doubt welcome any constructive feedback via the contact form if you wish to do so. Hounding our staff via comments, forum topics, messages sent via e-mail, via other websites or other social media will not be tolerated and will likely be removed. Again, use the please use the contact form.
When contacting us via official means, please behave as you would on-site -- treat us like human beings, and don't waste our time. We don't stop being staff just because we're no longer posting publicly. Calling us filthy names behind the scenes and threatening to report us to the Internet Police will not persuade us to unban your account for you, end of story.