Nintendo Download: 15th August (North America)

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Sam Fisher returns, retro shmup action, DLC, discounts and much more

It's Nintendo Download time, North America, with a variety of goodies arriving on both the Wii U and 3DS eShop platforms. There's a blockbuster retail release, some discounts on top-notch download titles, retro goodies and some new titles on the 3DS eShop. Without further ado, let's get to it.

Wii U Virtual Console

Galaga (NAMCO BANDAI Games America Inc., $4.99) — If you like retro arcade shmups, there's every chance that this is already on your download list for the week. You fly and shoot, and this NES version of the arcade title has iconic sound effects and gameplay to suit the rosiest of tinted lenses. Whether it still stands up well today is something we'll consider, but we thought it merited a solid recommendation in our Wii Virtual Console Galaga review.

Wii U Retail Download

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Blacklist (Ubisoft, $59.99) — The latest entry in the long-running franchise, Sam Fisher makes his return to a Nintendo console with some Wii U GamePad-specific controls to try and enhance the experience. With single player, online co-op and multiplayer included there could be plenty on offer in this one, as Ubisoft aims to combine stealth and action to please gamers of various sensibilities. We'll sneak out a review as soon as we can, but until then you can learn more in our interview with the game's Producer, Liu Jun. Available from 20th August.

Wii U eShop Temporary Discount

Trine 2: Director's Cut (Frozenbyte, $7.99 until 5th September, normally $19.99)

BIT.TRIP Presents: RUNNER 2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien (Gaijin Games, $11.25 until 29th August, normally $14.99)

Wii U eShop DLC

BIT.TRIP Presents: RUNNER 2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien (Gaijin Games, $3) — The Good Friends Character Pack features six new playable characters: Raz, Quote, Dr. Fetus, Josef, Spelunky Guy and Invisible CommanderVideo.

3DS eShop

Heavy Fire: Black Arms 3D (Teyon, $4.99) — Teyon has brought a few on-rails shooters to the 3DS, and this is the second re-release of a WiiWare title on the portable system. See enemies, shoot enemies, is a pretty accurate summary of what this will offer, though we weren't big fans of the WiiWare original. This is a fresh release, however, so we'll put on some camouflage and give it a fair shot in our upcoming review.

10-in-1: Arcade Collection (Gamelion, $2.99) — It's safe to say that any release offering lots of games in one package causes some hesitation, but that doesn't mean they can't be fun. This particular collection is focused on retro games and delivers some decent and fun options, with a few that don't quite hit the mark; it may be worth a punt for fans of retro arcade games, as we explained in our 10-in-1: Arcade Collection review.

3DS Virtual Console

Donkey Kong (Nintendo, $4.99) — One of the original and most iconic of Nintendo games, this is the NES port of the arcade game — perhaps not actually the very best version — and you can check out our Wii U Virtual Console Donkey Kong review to see how it stacks up on the home console.

3DS Retail Downloads

Barbie Groom and Glam Pups (Little Orbit, $29.99)

My Western Horse 3D (TREVA Entertainment, $29.99)

That's your lot for another week; let us know what you plan to pick up in the poll and comments below.

What are you most excited about downloading this week? (331 votes)

Galaga (Wii U Virtual Console)

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Blacklist (Wii U retail download)

15%

Trine 2: Director's Cut (Wii U eShop temporary discount)

BIT.TRIP Presents: RUNNER 2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien (Wii U eShop temporary discount)

BIT.TRIP Presents: RUNNER 2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien DLC (Wii U eShop add-on content)

Heavy Fire: Black Arms 3D (3DS eShop)

10-in-1: Arcade Collection (3DS eShop)

Donkey Kong (3DS Virtual Console)

Barbie Groom and Glam Pups (3DS retail download)

My Western Horse 3D (3DS retail download)

Nothing for me this week

56%

Please login to vote in this poll.

tchaten

tchaten said:

Will pick up Splinter Cell in 2014 when we have a less killer release schedule - too many great games and only so much money - it will be good to not spend another $60 this week especially when I picked up Xenoblade for $68 - nothing for me this week

SkywardCrowbar

SkywardCrowbar said:

I'm getting Splinter Cell when it comes out in the States in a week. I'm not getting any new VC or eShop only games until I play all the ones I already have.

Savino

Savino said:

Splinter for me!
Rayman in two and a half week!
Total War: Rome II - which will make me forget all my consoles! :(

SmaMan

SmaMan said:

Aww, no Recca this time? I guess last week's US Nintendo Direct's definition of "soon" does not mean "next week" or "the same time that Europe gets it."

Also, inb4 NO D&D AGAIN?!

therick112

therick112 said:

I have the DK: Original Edition from the free Club Nintendo giveaway. Is it worth getting this DK if I have that one? My impression is "no", but if any of you have any insight, I'd appreciate.

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

Wow, that's an insane discount for Trine 2. Been meaning to get it for quite a while, this might be the time to do it.

SmaMan

SmaMan said:

@SkywardLink98
That my friend, is the question of the day. It was originally advertised to be released in June. It was held back by Nintendo for what is believed to be game-breaking bugs in the multiplayer department. There was a rumor that Capcom would get it together and release it in mid-August... so yeah.

ToniK

ToniK said:

@Mrclaycoat
I second this. I bought it from the last sale here in Europe and it's well worth it. Even full price is totally justified.

bahooney

bahooney said:

Wooooah, 7.99 for Trine 2? What is this the STEAM SUMMER SALE!??!? But seriously, huge value for a hugely entertaining game.

Cyberbotv2

Cyberbotv2 said:

I'll get trine 2. I want splinter cell, but I don't know if I'm gonna throw down 60 bucks for this. I wonder how good the WiiU version is? I'll wait to see a PS3 vs Wii U comparison before deciding.

SpinelessOyster

SpinelessOyster said:

Another week, another bunch of games I don't have the time or money for. :( Though everything's getting dropped when Rayman gets here.

Jairo_MC

Jairo_MC said:

Of course Runner 2 is discounted only 3 days after I purchased it....
At least I was right to wait a bit for Trine 2

tchaten

tchaten said:

@gatorboi352 Pikmin 3 is all I need this month for Wii U - Mario and Luigi Dream Team is sucking up tons of my playtime as is Animal Crossing New Leaf still.

If Dream Team didn't come out I would be more inclined to pick this up. Dream Team is so much fun and a huge 40 hour game.

tchaten

tchaten said:

IGN did give this game a 9.2 - seems like it might be worth my time sooner rather than later ...

Captain_Gonru

Captain_Gonru said:

@therick112 Well, yes and no. OE is great from a purist standpoint, but I find that second level maddening. The NES port doesn't have it, but is also missing some of the small details, like some end of level animations. When the NES port was 30¢ on Wii U, it was worth it for the DK I remembered playing as a kid. For $4.99, however, you may want to think about passing. But that's just me.

Captain_Gonru

Captain_Gonru said:

To anyone who hasn't gotten Trine 2, get it now. It is a great, gorgeous game. I paid $14.99 during the first sale, and still felt like I got a deal.

SmaMan

SmaMan said:

All complaints aside I'll probably get nothing this week. The recent FExSMT promo has worn my wallet down pretty well, and I did just get all this: http://bit.ly/19vsn0B

Plus a Famicom... in the mail now.

allav866

allav866 said:

Is the Donkey Kong on the 3DS eShop the Original Edition, or is it the one without the pie level?

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

Trine 2 is 30fps they should have been able to do 60 which when the pc version is locked to is much better.

Obito_Tennyson

Obito_Tennyson said:

Not a bad week for me! Finally, Donkey Kong! I've been waiting for this. Also, Tecmo just revealed that Ninja Gaiden 2 is coming to the 3DS Virtual Console very soon. You could the trailer today on the American Eshop, check it out!! Mention me if you spread the word.

Torchwood

Torchwood said:

I think I'll get Trine 2 and Runner, being a new Wii U owner and missing the previous sales for them. Both for less than the price of Trine 2 is a steal, and I have a five dollar credit from the Deluxe Promotion!

Ryno

Ryno said:

Trine 2 at that price is a steal. I thought it was a steal when I picked it up for $9.99. No VC sales this week means pretty much nothing for me.

TwilightV

TwilightV said:

What a bad week. The only worthwhile things on here are DK and the Runner 2 DLC. : /

Blue_Yoshi

Blue_Yoshi said:

They gotta stop pushing the NES version of Donkey Kong and bring out the arcade one already. Maybe we'll even get Donky Kong 3 someday.

SetupDisk

SetupDisk said:

Splinter Cell. Blank yeah looks awesome.
Kinda not random question, did anyone else here download a full retail 3DS game when the good version of DK was an incentive? I have a club Nintendo account and never got the code.

datamonkey

datamonkey said:

I'm still too engrossed in SteamWorld Dig to care about anything else!

Everyone with a 3DS should get that game, it's total awesomeness...

Barbiegurl777

Barbiegurl777 said:

YES!!! Barbie!!! Bring more barbie titles to the 3DS e-shop!! Please & thank you!! :D

Happy Gaming! (^_^)

ljb88

ljb88 said:

@Cyberbotv2 apparently both versions are broadly similar in terms of graphics. In terms of content/features: the wii u has some inventory/gadget touch screen features, but it lacks local co-op. At least that's what I've gathered from ign.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

It is a good idea to discount Runner 2 the week that the DLC is arriving, so you can get the whole package for around the original price. I got the game in the previous sale ($11.25) and I don't feel like getting the DLC.

Regarding Trine, the price is tempting but the demo is not. Found a really gorgeous but not an interesting and engaging game. I just got Ducktales so it will be nothing for me this week

Holly

Holly said:

Oh my gosh! That discount for Trine 2: Director's Cut is fantastic! Anyone who doesn't already have it needs to get it now! Great game! Wish I could've gotten it at such a great discount, though...

sleepinglion

sleepinglion said:

Sometimes I think when Nintendo is deciding which Virtual Console title to release each week they do the following...
1-pore through the Miiverse, taking a look at all of the classic titles diehard Nintendo fans (who care enough about Nintendo products to BE on Miiverse to begin with) are hoping to see
2-visit various online forums and gaming sites to determine which classics seem to be on various top 10, 20, 30 lists, etc.
3-jot all of those loved titles down in a pad of paper before hurling the pad into a massive waste basket and randomly choosing a title they can easily and cheaply secure the rights to

Morpheel

Morpheel said:

That's three horse pet sims we have so far lol
I wasn't aware it was such a popular genre.

Jukilum

Jukilum said:

The only thing here I'm interested in that I don't already have is Runner 2, but I don't think I'll be buying that soon.

sleepinglion

sleepinglion said:

Wow, that is a nice price for Trine 2. Can't imagine it getting much lower. I think I picked it up months ago for 15 or something right before it went to 10 =)
And YES, bring on the arcade port of DK, Nintendo! I think at this point you'll have put the NES version of every possible console.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

I'm surprised how many people will be downloading Splinter Cell Blacklist- this is a very good thing! I was afraid the title wouldn't sell, but seeing as 13% are downloading, and even more will be purchasing the physical copy (such as myself- my pre order is awaiting release), this game might end up doing fairly well considering the install base. That's good. The game definitely looks fun, that much is certain.

Pokefanmum82

Pokefanmum82 said:

Nothing for me. Picking up SMT IV and another copy of AC:NL. So I can finally get Pokemon Mystery Dungeon.

Rafie

Rafie said:

I'm glad that I'm taking a break this week. I'm nearly spent on all of the spending I've been doing. I still have to get W101 next month, plus GTAV. My wallet has a hit out on me right now.

scottsensei

scottsensei said:

Splinter Cell is tempting... I voted Runner but I may just download Blacklist instead of doing a physical copy. This summer really saw my number of downloaded games jump and their is a convenience about the whole thing I really dig.

@Azikira

Given the first bit of DLC, everything will be released and then we get it. Given how buggy Zatanna turned out to be (infinite combo breaking the game), quality control needs to wake up.

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

Ah...Still no news of Mega Man X2 or 3 eh?

I do hope for a demo of Blacklist though.

Zach777

Zach777 said:

I got the DLC for Runner 2 but it isn't updating to the game itself... What's up with that?

hydeks

hydeks said:

splinter cell for sure, but i didnt vote cause im getting it at retail :P

QuickSilver88

QuickSilver88 said:

Well was kicking myself when I missed Trine2 for 9.99 so definitely getting it as I liked the first one on ps3 and the demo on WiiU was really sharp. Was planning in getting SC BL on disc as I have a bunch of credit at the evil gamestop. I have been jamming on SMT 4 on 3DS which is a real hours eater so won't be buying much else for 3DS until Pokemon/Zelda hit. IGN really didn't review the WiiU version so I would like to see a specific interview as IGN said WiiU cut scenes had stuttering? I mean why are we getting that on a game in 2013? Also Ubi saida lot in the WiiU trailer about gamepad features and IGN barely mentioned it. I am looking forward to it but need more info as W101 and Rayman are both on my must buy list...plus WW, Mario, DKTR and Watch Dogs so yeah the wallet is hurting.

rjejr

rjejr said:

For $8 we'll probably get Trine 2 while I wait for the Toki Tori 2 editor DLC to release though this part of the review gave me pause as I'll only be playing it with my 2 sons like we did w/ Trine on the PS3:

The issue of controls is also a problem for anyone hoping for some local co-op play. The thought of you and two of your friends controlling the entire team at once may be enticing, but the button mapping for the Wii Remote and Nunchuk combination is just as confusing as it is on the GamePad, without the saving-grace of the touchscreen.

RR529

RR529 said:

Nothing for me this week, but that's fine. I'm so far behind, that I don't know if I want even more games cluttering my Wishlist.

Heavy Fire: Black Arms could find it's way onto my wishlist though, depending on reviews (seems like a series that should be fun, but always has something holding it back).

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

I already picked up Ducktales: Remastered this week so I am good. Also I have DK on the Wii U VC cause of the 30 cent special.

element187

element187 said:

I still can't believe Ubisoft is using Splinter Cell as a test bed for core gaming on Wii U... Its going to bomb, not only on Wii U but other platforms as well.

With GTA V out in a few weeks, no one is going to buy it on PS3/x360. Wii U, well these games haven't sold particularly well (AC3 bombed on Wii U).

Not to mention the marketing for Splinter Cell has been rather underwhelming. I don't sense any hype anywhere for it.

shingi_70

shingi_70 said:

Nothing of interest this week. Guess i'm going with Fire Emblem and steamworld dig.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@Rockman_Onion I bet this site reviews Galaga higher or the same as Recca even though it is nowhere near as good.

(The only NES shmup I like more is Crisis Force - there again I like Master System Power Strike 2 better than both (Not played the Game Gear power strike 2)).

(I have just bought Recca today it seems harder than playing it on an emulator (on a CRT) because it is so fast it is like it is a frame behind but it is still pretty good).

Neram

Neram said:

3DS has been getting a lot of shovelware lately. It's looking like the DSi.

gatorboi352

gatorboi352 said:

@element187 Eh, I dunno man. Can't really compare Blacklist potential to AC3 sales numbers. It was a launch title for the system.

Blacklist is coming out on Wii U over 2 weeks after Pikmin 3 and NO other big releases have come out, and around 2-3 weeks before any other big releases. I think it's primed for success TBH... I know I'll be picking it up, just like Ghosts, AC4 and Watch_Dogs.

Jajayal

Jajayal said:

I'll be getting Splinter Cell on 360. I play offline co-op with my girlfriend and WiiU doesn't have it. Was really looking forward to having this type of game on my WiiU but a whole option (that is a big draw for me personally) has been wrenched out.

KnightRider666

KnightRider666 said:

Damn, no Recca '92? I'd grab DK if I didn't have DKOE. I might give 10 in 1 Arcade a shot though, and perhaps Groove Heaven since it went on sale today for $3.

ACK

ACK said:

The lack of local co-op is a killer for blacklist. I never play online because there are always people to join me locally. In fact, everyone I know with a Wii U is more interested in playing local than online. Ripping out local co-op completely and inexcusably misses the point. Shouldn't have bothered if they can't harness one of the system's standout features.

hcfwesker

hcfwesker said:

I kindaaaa liked the demo for Trine 2 but in no way was gonna pay $20 for it. with that price drop though it seems more inviting.

Lunapplebloom

Lunapplebloom said:

Runner 2 DLC only for me this week. I already got DuckTales Remastered, and am loving every minute of it.

@ThomasBW84 One thing I should bring up though is that the Runner 2 DLC is showing up on mine and a friends Wii U Eshop for $1.99. Is $3 the actual price then for the DLC, or did we just get lucky?

jgibson75

jgibson75 said:

I'm super excited to pick up Splinter Cell Blacklist Tuesday... but I'll be buying it for my Xbox 360... so probably won't be getting anything from Nintendo this week... but hey, I'm still enjoying Pikmin 3 and Earthbound and Animal Crossing and so forth... so I'm good.

Cohort

Cohort said:

Anyone that hasn't picked up RUNNER 2 yet... WHAT THE HELL HAVE YOU BEEN DOING?

Skeet102

Skeet102 said:

the 3ds eshop needs to kick it up a notch. more original 3d content. I feel like that stopped after dillons rolling western 2 and crashmo. since then, all we've gotten is virtual console.