Nintendo Download: 13th June (North America)

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Mudds, mighty switching, Game Gear goodies and more

As the E3 madness settles down to daily regular madness, we have the reliable and steady Nintendo Download news to enjoy. This week is a strong one in North America, with both the Wii U and 3DS eShop services hosting games from Renegade Kid and WayForward, while the Game Gear also returns on the 3DS Virtual Console. There's also some fishing and Picross thrown in for good measure, so let's get on with the details.

Wii U eShop

Mutant Mudds Deluxe (Renegade Kid, $9.99) — The popular '12-bit' 3DS eShop title now arrives on the Wii U with sharp HD visuals — which has the affect of widening the viewing angle — and a number of all new Ghost levels to take on. With the original content and the subsequent "Granny" stages also included, this offers a lot of bang for your buck on the home console; we're currently working on our review, but until then you can check out our Mutant Mudds 3DS eShop review.

3DS eShop

Mighty Switch Force! 2 (WayForward, $5.99) — In a first for the "Mighty" series, WayForward brings us a sequel featuring Patricia Wagon jumping and puzzling her way to capture — or in this case rescue — the Hooligan Sisters and Ugly Secret Babies. Though there's a new backdrop and a hose weapon, we felt that this one occasionally crossed the line from varying on a template into outright rips from the first title, but nevertheless gave it a solid recommendation in our Mighty Switch Force! 2 review.

Picross e (Jupiter Corporation, $5.99) — Since this title arrived in Europe last year, Picross fans in North America have naturally been keen to see it make the move across the Atlantic. The day is finally here — though the series is up to number three in Japan — and it's exactly what you'd expect from the genre. It's simple, clean and full of levels to tackle, as our Picross e review explains.

Big Bass Arcade: No Limit (Big John Games, $6.99) — This series makes its 3DS eShop debut after previous appearances on the WiiWare and DSiWare platforms. This new entry promises much for fishing enthusiasts, with 10 unique lakes, 32 tournaments and 50 challenges; not to mention the description of the main action as "fish fighting". Previous efforts have been thoroughly decent releases, so we'll dig out our waders and waterproofs to see whether this one can haul in a high score.

3DS Virtual Console

Sonic the Hedgehog (SEGA, $4.99) — Quite likely the highest profile of today's Game Gear blitz, the SEGA mascot made his portable debut in this title. Although outgunned by the Game Boy commercially, the Game Gear pushed impressive visuals for its time, and we'll see how this stacks up against its home console contemporaries in our upcoming review.

Dr Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine (SEGA, $2.99) — Puzzle games were a mainstay of retro portable systems, and this one brings Sonic's nemesis to the fore before he was named after poultry products. This Puyo Puyo title has you matching four coloured beans at a time, so we'll get own brains into gear to bring you a review.

Shining Force: The Sword of Hajya (SEGA, $3.99) — Shining Force is a fondly remembered franchise on SEGA systems, and now this portable entry makes its debut on the 3DS. Turn-based strategy is all the rage, making this one's timing ideal; we'll take to the battlefield and let you know what we think.

Columns (SEGA, $3.99) — This match-three puzzle title will be familiar to some that received it as part of a Mega Drive hardware bundle, and was fast-paced and compulsive on the 16-bit machine. It's hard to see where the Game Gear version could go wrong, but we'll jump in for a review soon.

A fairly meaty list this week, with some titles that are sure to attract a good number of downloads. Let us know what you plan to pick up in the poll and comments below.

What will you be downloading first this week? (299 votes)

Mutant Mudds Deluxe (Wii U eShop)

14%

Mighty Switch Force! 2 (3DS eShop)

13%

Picross e (3DS eShop)

11%

Big Bass Arcade: No Limit (3DS eShop)

Sonic the Hedgehog (3DS Virtual Console)

11%

Dr Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine (3DS Virtual Console)

Shining Force: The Sword of Hajya (3DS Virtual Console)

12%

Columns (3DS Virtual Console)

Nothing for me this week

31%

Please login to vote in this poll.

Joshers744

Joshers744 said:

Cool. Game Gear games. If I remember right though, the first Sonic on there wasn't that good. THat's alright though. It's a start.

Undead_terror

Undead_terror said:

hmmm, I got sonic the hedgehog on my sonic classic collection for the ds so I won't probably get that, I might get columns.

Fancykong

Fancykong said:

@bizcuthammer We actually had 5 VC games this week for Wii U.
Yoshi (30 cents) as well as Mega Man 1-4 (they went up as soon as Mega Man was announced for Super Smash Brothers).

Ralizah

Ralizah said:

I probably won't download anything this week, since I just got Animal Crossing and am also planning on picking up Project X Zone, but I'll end up downloading several of the things released this week in the coming months.

Eisenbolan

Eisenbolan said:

I am picking up Shining Force. On the fence with Dr Robotnik. I will get Picross E when I finish the GB Picross game.

Silvervisiona

Silvervisiona said:

I already have Mutant Mudds for 3DS, and have all the Sonic Game Gear games from Sonic Adventure DX, yeah. So no sales from me this week.

rjejr

rjejr said:

Somewhat related -

is NL going to offer any feedback of the Best Buy E3 demos from yesterday?

The BB 5 minutes from my house didn't offer it so I'ld really like to know how it went. Did things go smoothly? Mass rioting when after 4 hours the demos mysteriously disappeared? Was there leadership and sign-ups or just mass chaos?

Considering how few and far between WiiU demos have been so far at kiosks I really thought the BB "Events" yesterday would have had after-the-fact coverage.

Birdman

Birdman said:

Picross-e immediately, and then maybe a Game Gear title or two if they sound good in their reviews.

kitroplious

kitroplious said:

@Fancykong We had the first Mega Man for a few weeks now. As for these games being listed on this site or not, Thomas only adds titles that have been announced in the press release usually.

iphys

iphys said:

Everyone buy Picross e right away so they hurry up and release the 2nd one.

Blue_Yoshi

Blue_Yoshi said:

The game I've been waiting to play for a while has come out on my birthday. I think it should be the first game as a 21 year old ;P

kitroplious

kitroplious said:

@Bass_X0 NA might get it probably on the 27th, or even the 20th.

On a side note, Shantae has been DELAYED until July for those of you that haven't heard this already. Matt Bozon mentioned this yesterday on Twitter.

kitroplious

kitroplious said:

Getting/purchasing every title, except Big Bass Arcade: No Limit. Buying 6 today on 3DS eShop, while Mutant Mudds Deluxe on Wii U eShop a bit later.

Emaan

Emaan said:

I think I'm going to give Mighty Switch Force! 2 a chance, if only because I loved the original- and its groovy soundtrack :3

ghall

ghall said:

Mighty Switch Force 2. The first is one of my favorite eShop titles on the 3DS so far.

flummerfelt

flummerfelt said:

Shining Force and Columns!
It's funny, when I first played The Genesis version of Columns on the Ps3 collection, I totally dismissed it as a Tetris-esque ripoff...but then I couldn't stop playing it! Now I can't get enough of the series, and realize that it stands pretty well on it's own.
Haven't played shining force, but ill give it a shot!

Spuratis

Spuratis said:

Shining Force for me thank you very much. Was stoked to hear this when it was announced, especially since I never knew this one existed in the first place. Definitely my favorite strategy/rpg series out there. I might check out Might Switch Force as well.. we'll see.

Rocky

Rocky said:

Good week of new releases for me. I've got 25 hours on MSF on my 3DS, so I'm sure I'll be happy with the sequel. I've got 31 hours on MM on my 3DS, so I'm sure I'll be happy with the sequel on the Wii U. I've got 7 hours on Mario Picross on my 3DS so I'm pretty sure Picross e will keep me busy as well. Can't go wrong with that trifecta of downloads.

shinobi88

shinobi88 said:

Definitely gettin Columns. Best puzzle game I've ever played besides Tetris. And I've played Meteos and Lumines

@Knuckles, you rock. SEGA!

iZAYA47

iZAYA47 said:

I'll be getting all of the Game Gear titles this week, and maybe Mighty Switch Force! 2.

shinesprite

shinesprite said:

I may eventually get Mighty Switch Force 2, but I'd like to play the first, Hyper-Drive Edition first on my Wii U.

I also might pickup Dr Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine (a friend of mine's an addict). ;)

TonLoco

TonLoco said:

Great week for 3ds owners. Not so good for my wallet. I want Shining force and Picross E and I still need to download the oracle games.

UnseatingKDawg

UnseatingKDawg said:

Well, I'll be. Nintendo of America actually didn't shirk on the Virtual Console games this time around. I'm hoping that Sonic 2 is coming next week - that and New Super Luigi U will be a blast!

KnightRider666

KnightRider666 said:

@undead_terror: I'm excited about finally getting more Game Gear games on the 3DS VC too. I grabbed all 4, plus MSF 2 & Picross-e. Big week this week. My only letdown was no Mega Man 6? It's not even listed in the future release section yet. They told us June way back when they announced 4,5,& 6 were coming to the 3DS VC. It's gotta be either next week or the week after.

SparkOfSpirit

SparkOfSpirit said:

@Aqueous That's really lame since the other games this week are all the same price.

Well, if it doesn't go down then I'll wait for a sale. I'm in no rush.

kitroplious

kitroplious said:

@SirMario (and everyone else) - Soccer Up 3D gets a temporary price drop until 7/1 at $4.99, while Family Party: 30 Great Games Obstacle Arcade gets a new price of just under $20.

kitroplious

kitroplious said:

@SparkOfSpirit Of course that's not the only game either...

At least it's priced more sense now at a flat price of $7. Some of the others were priced at $61.64 (Injustice) , $4.06 (Witch & Hero), $20.44 [or whatever] (Hotel Transylvania), and hilariously a price of the popular error code on sites like Nintendo Life ($4.04, Bearshark).

umegames

umegames said:

Sonic 1 for game gear is a great game, never beat it actually. thank you nintendo for save states!

Prof_Elvin_Gadd

Prof_Elvin_Gadd said:

I'll probably pick up Picross e(Shop). I'm not a huge fan of the NES Yoshi title but for 30 cents I could play it for a minute and it'd be worth it, so perhaps that as well.

slidecage

slidecage said:

shining force = poor mans Fire emblem LOL...

fun game and brings back good memories but WOW it has not aged well

slidecage

slidecage said:

yea i know .... its like fire emblem is the new shining force... Though i like shining force more.. its just weird playing this old game (where you dont know how much your going to hit for or how much your going to get hit)

love the old games like this... love to see shining in the darkness get ported over but never happen..
With this and Phantasy star 2,3,4 on the vita im going to have classic rpg games for awhile :)

Austroid

Austroid said:

No Sonic Blast... but Sonic GG was my second most-wanted of the GG batch. Love the uniqueness to it, compared to the original Genesis game.

Inev

Inev said:

Shining Force seems interesting. I might pick it up eventually.

On a somewhat unrelated note, I really wish NLife would start including number of memory blocks each game requires in their reviews, especially for eShop only games like Might Switch Force.

SirMario

SirMario said:

@divinealpha Thanks. I was excited and looked up the review for Soccer Up 3d until I realized it was a steaming poo. Not even remotely close to being interested in Family Party , but I guess a few discounted games are better than nothing...sigh :(

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

Not bad. I think I will pick up Mutant Mudds, and maybe Picross. I am still playing through Picross 3D. 23 Hours and I haven't even gotten to the middle of the Normal section.

Never played any Game Gear games, so I could get Sonic or Columns out of curiosity.

slidecage

slidecage said:

@Inev

game gear games were VERY VERY SMALL 50 blocks each not sure on mighty (was really shocked how small the GG games are

DarkEdi

DarkEdi said:

All downloads are excellent. I wished an option to vote more than 1 option :( I put Shining Force but i wished to vote for more games, i will download all.

Taya

Taya said:

Picross!!

I'll get Mighty Switch Force 2 eventually, but not right away.

bahooney

bahooney said:

Mutant Mudds! I was so pumped to download it, but I'm having a surprisingly hard time with some of the enemies that are depth-based (ie: thwomp-like slammie guys and hammer guys.) It's just harder without that 3D oomph. Still thoroughly enjoying it, though! Looks gorgeous in HD.

Dpullam

Dpullam said:

I'll be playing Animal Crossing New Leaf in due time so I won't be downloading any new games this week.

Undead_terror

Undead_terror said:

I also got a download code for big bass arcade so all the games I got so far was.
-Sonic the hedgehog
-columns
-mean bean machine
-big bass
Might get shining force the next time I get points.

JJtheTexan

JJtheTexan said:

STOKED about the sudden deluge of Game Gear titles! Eagerly awaiting the Nintendo Life review of Big Bass Arcade before I buy it, though.