Wii U System Update Coming Next Week

Posted by Damien McFerran

A whole host of enhancements promised

Nintendo has confirmed that a Wii U system update will be rolled out worldwide next week. As expected, the update will shorten loading times when switching between applications or returning to the Wii U Menu.

You'll also be able to copy or move data from one USB hard drive to another, automatically install new software you've downloaded in the background and receive updates for games immediately, instead of having to load up the game to trigger the download. In addition to this, you'll be able to boot the console into Wii mode by holding down the B button when you switch it on. Other improvements are also promised.

The fun doesn't stop there, however. The day following the update will see the launch of Wii U Panorama View on the Nintendo Wii U eShop, along with a free demo. More excitingly, the Wii U Virtual Console service will begin on the same day.

Are you happy with the proposed list of features, or were you expecting more? Drop a comment to tell us.

Big_L91

Big_L91 said:

booting straight to wii mode is a huge plus for me. also cant wait to check out the panorama view!

Svengoolie

Svengoolie said:

I'm more excited for Panorama view than any games. It looks so amazing. Are there any other devices out there that can do the same thing? It seems revolutionary to me.

goldbricks23

goldbricks23 said:

I was kind of expecting more, but I'm sure what. My anticipation for the update probably created that. I'm really happen about the automatic updates/ downloads/ installs- those were a bit annoying when going to play a game.

Yosher

Yosher said:

Finally sort of a date for this update. Also, I wonder how much the Panorama thingy will cost. If it costs anything more than €10 I probably won't be getting it.

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

I cant wait for that update. Especially the update thing is a very welcome addition. It got on my nerves pretty fast, when i wanted to look for new DLC in the eShop (Warriors Orochi 3) and constantly had to turn off the shop, switch discs, boot the game, install an update, quit the game, return to the eSHop and THEN being able to look for new stuff.
Also, im more hyped about the VC than i should be :P

RedYoshi999

RedYoshi999 said:

You forgot the bit where you can turn the Wii U off and still download games. (something that is greatly appreciated for large sized retail games) I'm hoping it doesn't take forever for the VC to rollout all of the Wii's titles. If Nintendo won't give me Majora's Mask 3D, then I want it on the GamePad! The launch day list doesnt look too promising though. And of course I'm looking forward to faster loading times!

GiftedGimp

GiftedGimp said:

Auto updates, are a ps+ member only and gold xbl member feature. Ps3 won't download while 'off'.. (really low power-state).

Not sure if I listened/saw wrong so going to rewatch but think ability to install from disc... As say not sure, a Lot of components to next weeks update crammed in such a short space of time.

edit - No disc install, i misunderstood, showing Mario U while talking about installing....
Something to be added in the Summer system update hopefully.

edhe

edhe said:

I can't get excited for the Virtul Console until they start announcing games I can't already get on the Wii or 3DS Virtual Console.

Will we be seeing Gamecube games at all?

Wowfunhappy

Wowfunhappy said:

Y'know, if they actually put some effort into integrating Wii software with the Wii U menu (which IS technically possible, look at how the 3DS handles DSiWare, or how homebrew Wii software is able to automatically boot specific channels under set circumstances), booting into Wii mode at startup wouldn't be necessary. :/

Judah_83

Judah_83 said:

Great News! Maybe we can get Majora's Mask HD on the Wii U Virtual Console. Spring update in the books and now just waiting on the summer update!

biddenden_sue

biddenden_sue said:

It's going to be more like a proper console instead of running in beta mode. Really looking forward to this update!

Whopper744

Whopper744 said:

I'm wondering how the VC will work...why don't they just give us all that's already on the Wii shop channel to being with?

Emaan

Emaan said:

Looking forward to this update next week, and Virtual Console finally!

Tysamu

Tysamu said:

The fact that the U will be able to boot straight into wii mode, finish downloading and installing while turned off is a big YES to me alongside the whole shortening of the times between switching apps. This is looking grand

Mickey

Mickey said:

Just as long as they release Mario Bros. Super Mario Bros. 1-3 Super Mario World and Super Mario RPG I'll be fine. Oh! And some N64 games soon...

Ryno

Ryno said:

What are the first VC games to be released? I didn't watch the video so don't know if they even announced?.

123akis

123akis said:

ERROR ALERT: damien, in this article you said the wii u panorama view and virtual console will launch the same day as the update, Its releasing the next day. Check the nintendo direct presentation here: http://youtu.be/T-_1nQC_afE?t=19m28s (the video will start at 19:28 when you click the link, thats when iwata says the virtual console service is launching the day after the update)

adrenochrome

adrenochrome said:

sounds perfect, all those fixes were required but i didnt expect to get them all at the same time in the first update :)

zipmonStaff

zipmon said:

This is all great news, but silly as it sounds I'm most excited about holding B to boot into Wii mode!

bluecat

bluecat said:

Being able to boot straight to Wii mode might finally be the push I need to transfer my Wii stuff to my Wii U....

SMW

SMW said:

B for instant Wii Mode! Yes!! One giant step closer to an integrated Wii mode.

Haxonberik

Haxonberik said:

The B for Wii mode is a huge improvement. I'll be happier with the OS now, now just give me Pikmin 3 already! I bought my Wii U so early thinking it would be released on march, missing some great deals.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

All of this sounds great to me. Wii U Panorama View coming right after the update is cool.

Lin1876

Lin1876 said:

To be honest, I was hoping Wii Mode would be booted or at least integrated better, but these are decent upgrades. Nothing earth-moving (apart from the speed improvements), but good all the same.

sonicfan1373

sonicfan1373 said:

This is a good (and much needed) update. I hope the summer update will bring more features though. I am personally hoping for a media player which can play back videos and music from an SD Card, i also would appreciate them making the Wii U video chat service system wide (being able to chat with friends would anywhere in the system would be very cool). Folders (like on the 3DS) would also be handy.

FullbringIchigo

FullbringIchigo said:

instead of having to hold B to boot straight into Wii mode wouldn't it be simpler just to let us play our Wii disc and VC games from the WiiU menu without having to go to a separate one?

THENAMESNORM

THENAMESNORM said:

Launch day VC titles are still to be confirmed, but the previous 30p/30c releases will defo be there, as will Super Mario World(which seemed to take forever to come to the Wii VC!!) but I'm not that bothered if there's not a massive number of games of available from day 1, I'm more interested in a steady and consistent stream of games arriving for the service!

odd69

odd69 said:

honestly ill i want now is to be able to play all the games i bought on vc to be played on my wiiu WITHOUT that way that nintendo makes us.

MDee14

MDee14 said:

This is really awesome news! Booting straight to Wii is a great bonus. I wonder if Miiverse will be release on this day as well for the webs. I can't wait to lose many work hours on Miiverse haha

Kevin

Kevin said:

Love the feature to start on the Wii Channel when you turn the console on. Very cool.

Tmdean

Tmdean said:

Seeing things like Panorama View almost has me convinced that the Wii U was originally intended to be a VR system and they were forced to make a last minute change to using a tablet because they needed to release early. Panorama View looks like a cute gimmick for the Gamepad but would have been a great tech demo of a VR headset.

fregrold

fregrold said:

I'm just hoping the update will fix hulu (although this is something that hulu will have to fix themselves) - will usually crash on the commercials, and die after watching one show, provided we can actually get through the one show.

astroshamu

astroshamu said:

Like being able to boot up on wii mode, that will stop a lot of whining from people, and im glad theyre adding more than just faster loading times

MadJay1664

MadJay1664 said:

Love the sound of this update! Everyone is gonna want a Wii U soon. Especially after the Summer update! I hope they will get the Wii mode to work on the gamepad.

UnseatingKDawg

UnseatingKDawg said:

Well... the load times didn't bother me too much, but going faster is always a plus. Switching to Wii Mode without having to point at the screen (which I found out isn't actually required - if you have a Classic Controller plugged into your Wii Remote, you're all set) is nice too. I also wouldn't mind folders either - kinda makes things more cleaned up.

JuleyJules

JuleyJules said:

these updates are great news. I'm looking forward to vc, wii booting from main menu and auto updates. I'm guessing that the wii u will update any software we have on disc based on the saves we have on the system. Either way it'll be great to update while it's off.

Nintendo4Lyfe

Nintendo4Lyfe said:

No longer will I have to wait 20 to 30 seconds for the Wii U menu/Wara Wara Plaza to return. I'm looking forward to next week's megaton update including Virtual Console with NES and Super NES games and Wii U Panorama View!

Kirbic

Kirbic said:

"In addition to this, you'll be able to boot the console into Wii mode by holding down the B button when you switch it on."

WIN!! My Wii U Library is still young and needs time to grow, but the Wii Library I have still sees a lot of playtime even ignoring my big list of Virtual Console stuff!

That's probably going to be an issue with Wii U VC, now that I think about it. I already have a lot of the stuff I want from older consoles on the Wii Menu and don't care enough about Gamepad play to pay the upgrade charge. Here's hoping GCN stuff makes it onto it. Kinda interested in the GBA stuff that I think was mentioned too, though I'd rather my VC stuff on the Wii U was home console stuff like my 3DS VC stuff is portable system stuff. Only kept Balloon Fight, Ice Climber and Yoshi for download play.

...oh, and quicker loading times are nice too...haven't noticed them too much on the Wii U because I don't shuffle around its menus like on my 3DS.

luminalace

luminalace said:

Looking forward to this update. Installing games while you play other games is cool and something I will appreciate. Generally just looking forward to the speed improvements.

AVahne

AVahne said:

Really hope that there are plenty of other great improvements to the update.

ccanfield1

ccanfield1 said:

Finally. I feel like a lot of these things should have been on the system from the start or at least in the first couple of months. Panorama View was something they showed at E3 and I really have a problem with features being advertised as if it is available right away. This shouldn't have taken almost six months to finally come out but I'm glad that it is. I am especially looking forward to Wii U VC and improved load times.

R00bot

R00bot said:

Booting straight to wii mode might stop me from getting caught up "checking" my miiverse (for half an hour).

And the update installs in the background will be pretty neat. It's also nice to be able to copy from one USB device straight to another as I am going to be buying a bigger external harddrive for it soon and it'll make moving stuff much faster.

LavaTwilight

LavaTwilight said:

The boot-up Wii-mode is an awesome addition and looking forward to Panorama View. Not sure I'll get everything but the flying and Kyoto tour definitely! Looking forward to further 'tours' like an underwater one in the Barrier Reef or perhaps even a tour through a South African township!

FernandoMachado

FernandoMachado said:

They need to make WiiWare apps startable directly from the system menu just like the (amazing) 3DS does.
Then later on put up the Wii classics on the eShop so you can download them as well.

Moshugan

Moshugan said:

@DarkEdi #46 I agree with you that it would be a great feature!
Regrettably, displaying Wii games on the GamePad will not happen in a long time, possibly ever. :( The machine has to shut down the Wii U OS to turn on Wii Mode.

Moshugan

Moshugan said:

One big gripe I hope they'll fix:
Does anyone else's Wii U's constantly spin the disc even though you're not playing the game and using other apps or idling?
It's so annoying. I have to take out the disc in order for it to be silent.
(Or is my Wii U defect?)

Moshugan

Moshugan said:

It's got to be a bug! They should be able to patch the system so it won't do it.

TreesenHauser

TreesenHauser said:

I was still reeling about the OS load times being improved and the background download/installations, but everything else blew my expectations away. Each time I hear about the new update, the Wii U is sounding more and more like it'll be the console it should have been when it launched back in November! I can't wait.

And Panorama View should be awesome, looking forward to that as well!

Mulder1617

Mulder1617 said:

Sorry to burst bubbles but I guess the update is either happening today or on Thursday :( It really sucks!!! Pictures that were seen around the net that said 3 days away, then two apparently meant "until the spring update" not VC release.